Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Rebellion chat: I can't catch Vader. I've got him cornered, I've got top men on the case. Luke and his team of 3 other force sensitive covert ops characters can't get the job done did. A team of 7 non-force people can't do it. Can't catch him if I invade. This guy's good.

Don't send Luke because he triggers the encounter/final battle events that override the mission. If you have Vader pinned then it's just a matter of stacking up the characters on the mission and trying over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I remember one time when Luke glitched in a hilarious way, he was trying to sabotage a fleet where Vader was posted in, he was caught and got injured in the proces, the funny bit was that it happened like 6 or 7 times in a single day for some strangereason. Post-dagobah Luke increases his stats every time he gets injured or confronts Vader/Palpatine. Due to the previously mentioned glitch, he got so horribly O, he could take Vaderand Palpatine at the same time and capture them, alone, in Coruscant while being surrounded by tons of Dark Troops, best game ever.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Angry Lobster posted:

I remember one time when Luke glitched in a hilarious way, he was trying to sabotage a fleet where Vader was posted in, he was caught and got injured in the proces, the funny bit was that it happened like 6 or 7 times in a single day for some strangereason. Post-dagobah Luke increases his stats every time he gets injured or confronts Vader/Palpatine. Due to the previously mentioned glitch, he got so horribly O, he could take Vaderand Palpatine at the same time and capture them, alone, in Coruscant while being surrounded by tons of Dark Troops, best game ever.

Had the same thing happen to me. For some reason I remember it being that you could face him off against Vader or the Emperor indecisively as many times as you want until they captured Luke or Luke them, so you could get Luke to Jedi Master in a few days.

So I actually had something completely new happen: Two of my characters turned traitor. I let the clock run up to 2000 days, just to see if the AI would eventually really pose a threat if I let them run wild, then stormed back in to the core systems. While attempting to sabotage some planetary defenses with Vader and like four dudes, Vader had a special message to tell me that one of them was a traitor. I retired them and the mission succeeded next time. Then it happened again, same system, different target. Weird.

For anyone wondering: No, if left unchecked, the AI will not ever pose a real threat. I abandoned every core world and while they were able to put together an impressive fleet for the AI (Inc. two Dauntless battlecruisers), it was no match for me. It did odd things: it set up five separate planets with nothing but construction yards, three in the same sector. Still haven't found Alliance HQ, and I'm very curious to figure out where that landed because I control virtually the entire outer rim.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Nodelphi posted:

How is X-wing alliance on a gamepad? I'm left handed and most modern flightsticks that I've seen are molded for right-handed people and the ones that aren't look pretty sub-par.

The Thrustmaster T-16000M is a good joystick that can be fitted for left-handed use. There's also the discontinued Saitek Aviator that you can probably find on Ebay for cheap used.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 26, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Mainly been posting in the dedicated xwing thread but I will ask this here too. Anybody get thrawns revenge mod for EAW on win 8.1 to work properly? GOG edition of course.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
How long have they been doing the "More games in ... " countdown on the first page of the GOG site?

Is this just a countdown for the Tuesday / Thursday releases or something that indicates that this week's titles will be something special?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AbstractNapper posted:

How long have they been doing the "More games in ... " countdown on the first page of the GOG site?

Is this just a countdown for the Tuesday / Thursday releases or something that indicates that this week's titles will be something special?

It's not a regular feature. They're doing it because the last of the "Lucasfilm Wave II" games are coming tomorrow.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
oooh. That's great. So tomorrow we'll be getting more Lucasfilm titles in addition to the Grim Fandango remastered release :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Come on and unlock Grim Fandango already, GoG. It's the 27th in Australia already! :f5:

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I fired up Rebellion the other day and all the buttons were upside down. EVERYTHING was 180 of what it should be, you had to click on the top arrows of things to scroll down and all the images were inverted. Anyone else seeing this?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I haven't just yet, but check out this GOG forum thread on the issue, there are a few solutions listed there that may help out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rhandhali posted:

I fired up Rebellion the other day and all the buttons were upside down. EVERYTHING was 180 of what it should be, you had to click on the top arrows of things to scroll down and all the images were inverted. Anyone else seeing this?

Try loading again. It seems to be a problem that exists when you launch from the installer.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Come on and unlock Grim Fandango already, GoG. It's the 27th in Australia already! :f5:

Happy (slightly belated) Australia Day to you, Sir Aussigoon!

(In my defence, it's still the 26th in North America)

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Does GOG have any decent games with local multiplayer? My friend likes to play games when he comes over, but I don't have any consoles, only a PC. We tried Trine but he didn't care for it (I thought it was ok, might try it single-player at some point),

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Grim Fandango remaster is now unlocked!
Also, at some point it seems that they added the making of videos (that you can also find in Double Fine's youtube channel) in the bonus stuff you get with the game. The soundtrack does not seem to be included as a bonus.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eh! Frank posted:

Does GOG have any decent games with local multiplayer? My friend likes to play games when he comes over, but I don't have any consoles, only a PC. We tried Trine but he didn't care for it (I thought it was ok, might try it single-player at some point),

Spelunky! I actually haven't played their local, but the single player game is one of my favorites of all time.

I think Serious Sam does also. And many of the 4X games allow hot seat play.

Signal Ops also.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AbstractNapper posted:

Grim Fandango remaster is now unlocked!
Also, at some point it seems that they added the making of videos (that you can also find in Double Fine's youtube channel) in the bonus stuff you get with the game. The soundtrack does not seem to be included as a bonus.

Aaaand downloading it now. :peanut:

Such a shame the soundtrack's not included though.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aaaand downloading it now. :peanut:

Such a shame the soundtrack's not included though.

So far it plays really well on my desktop PC, it looks like I remember it and sounds awesome, too (the music is the same; I haven't spotted any tracks that have significantly changed with the transition to orchestral music). The game's minimum requirements are quire high though. The mouse control works fine, although it works better (tank controls aside) to use the keyboard to move Manny around and see him move his head in sign of interest for the objects around him. Fortunately, the mouse controls work together with the keyboard contols; you don't have to switch out of one of the two. And apparently if you choose so, you can use either of the controls exclusively to complete the game. The tank controls also offer two options. Camera related movement (default) and tank controls.

You can switch back and forth between the remastered graphics and the classic ones using backspace (default key).

I also checked whether residualVM would recognize the game if I pointed it to the installation folder of the remaster. The main resource (lab) files seem to be there, but their checksum must have been changed, because residualVM does not recognize it. Maybe they will add support for it later on (like scummVM did with the Steam games - I am not sure about the gog versions) and we will be able to also play the pure original game with residualVM as well (?)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Star Wars Starfighter, Republic Commando & Jedi Knight are the new games on GOG. Pretty disappointing since none of them are new to digital distribution.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Oh hey, Republic Commando just revealed.

Edit: Well, I'm sure it will excite some people. That game was a ton of fun.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Does anyone know if the Jedi Knight release is better than the Steam version? I own that one, but it runs like garbage and clearly is not made to run on modern computers. Knowing GOG, I would imagine their release runs much better, but does anyone know for sure before I buy it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Weird, because I've had zero issues getting JK1 to run on Windows 7 with the Steam version. At the very least, GOG's version can't be any worse.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mortuus posted:

Does anyone know if the Jedi Knight release is better than the Steam version? I own that one, but it runs like garbage and clearly is not made to run on modern computers. Knowing GOG, I would imagine their release runs much better, but does anyone know for sure before I buy it?
There might be something amiss with your system if JK runs badly - even in software mode, it should be a complete pushover for any half-modern PC. It doesn't use any remotely advanced D3D features, either, so unless maybe you're running the game with a ridiculous amount of super-sampling AA and are hugging transparent surfaces, I can't think of anything in the base game that would cause any significant slowdowns.

Incidentally, if anyone has any trouble running JK/MotS in 3D hardware mode, try downloading the ddraw.dll here and stick it in the folder with JK.EXE or JKM.EXE. Not sure if this'll work for Win8, though. And if you've got JK running in D3D, you may want to get Jedi Knight Enhanced for better models and textures (I'm pretty sure a lot/most are 16-bit and won't work in software mode (JK originally had no 16-bit textures at all (old games))).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sombrerotron posted:

I can't think of anything in the base game that would cause any significant slowdowns.
The morons at LucasArts changing the exe to require Steam to run? That also makes every unofficial fix fail due to the different checksum.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

The morons at LucasArts changing the exe to require Steam to run? That also makes every unofficial fix fail due to the different checksum.
It's possible, I must concede that I don't really have any experience with the Steam version. At any rate, I suppose that would be a good reason to get it from GOG (too).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I am sad Episode 1: Racer was not in the list. Maybe next time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mortuus posted:

I'd honestly just roll the dice for $4.79. With Mysteries of the Sith included, that's a very good deal. I had no issues with the Steam version a few years ago, but if I were having your issues I would probably spend the money and give it a try. GOG is very good about these things.

So, the "2nd wave" has hit the beach so to speak, and as I understand it they are planning one more wave of Lucas games. I would assume that Last Crusade will come out since it's been on Steam for years and Fate of Atlantis, which came out 3 years later, is already on GOG. Also, since Dark Forces I and II are now up, I would imagine that Jedi Outcast and Academy are coming as well. They've also been on Steam for years, and they are both excellent. Apart from those, I'm not really sure what else might come... maybe the Force Unleashed games, even though they are rubbish? Rogue Squadron is up and I'm going to grab that on payday as it seems to play well on modern hardware, but Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike didn't get PC releases as far as I know, so I'm not sure what else might come to GOG...

What do you think?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd honestly just roll the dice for $4.79. With Mysteries of the Sith included, that's a very good deal. I had no issues with the Steam version a few years ago, but if I were having your issues I would probably spend the money and give it a try. GOG is very good about these things.

So, the "2nd wave" has hit the beach so to speak, and as I understand it they are planning one more wave of Lucas games. I would assume that Last Crusade will come out since it's been on Steam for years and Fate of Atlantis, which came out 3 years later, is already on GOG. Also, since Dark Forces I and II are now up, I would imagine that Jedi Outcast and Academy are coming as well. They've also been on Steam for years, and they are both excellent. Apart from those, I'm not really sure what else might come... maybe the Force Unleashed games, even though they are rubbish? Rogue Squadron is up and I'm going to grab that on payday as it seems to play well on modern hardware, but Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike didn't get PC releases as far as I know, so I'm not sure what else might come to GOG...

What do you think?

I was personally hoping Battle for Naboo would show up since it's basically more Rogue Squadron. On another note, does anyone know if Starfighter is any good? I remember playing a demo of Jedi Starfighter on the original Xbox and though it was decent.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think that Droidworks, Episode 1 Racer, the Rebel Assault games, Yoda Stories, and Battle for Naboo are all viable picks for the next wave, though we are kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel past these few.

edit: Sounds like the GOG version of Jedi Knight is at least marginally better than Steam's; the redbook music and cutscenes actually seem to work, though there are reports of 3D hardware mode being unavailable if being played on operating systems newer than Windows 7.

Apparently Republic Commando's graphics are still broken if you don't have Bump Mapping set to low, though. :(

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 27, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Just want Full Throttle and, like, Afterlife. if GOG gives me those then I will never complain about not having the games I want ever again.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Aces High posted:

Just want Full Throttle and, like, Afterlife. if GOG gives me those then I will never complain about not having the games I want ever again.

Part of me wishes that if Grim Fandango's re-release does well, the powers that be decide to do something similar with Full Throttle.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Would not mind Outlaws.

Whereee are ya marshall

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So which of these Star Wars game are generally recommended? I'm getting Galactic Battlegrounds and Rebellion for sure. I haven't played any of the others except KotoR and don't want to buy them all. My backlog is long enough already.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

So which of these Star Wars game are generally recommended? I'm getting Galactic Battlegrounds and Rebellion for sure. I haven't played any of the others except KotoR and don't want to buy them all. My backlog is long enough already.

This discussion has happened a lot in the past few pages. I'll sum it up as "Theyre all pretty good, buy what looks fun to you."

"Also rogue squadron is awesome"

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mortimer posted:

This discussion has happened a lot in the past few pages. I'll sum it up as "Theyre all pretty good, buy what looks fun to you."

"Also rogue squadron is awesome"

Yeah I don't want it to seem like I haven't bothered to read, because that's how I decided to purchase Rebellion. It just seems there's some similar titles like X-Wing/Tie Fighter/X-Wing vs TIE Fighter/Starfighter and just wondered if one stands out among the samey titles.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance are probably the best in that group of space combat sims.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah I don't want it to seem like I haven't bothered to read, because that's how I decided to purchase Rebellion. It just seems there's some similar titles like X-Wing/Tie Fighter/X-Wing vs TIE Fighter/Starfighter and just wondered if one stands out among the samey titles.
I'd principally recommend TIE Fighter, X-Wing: Alliance, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, and Republic Commando. As for the rest (insofar as I've played them myself):

The original X-Wing is also good, but is marred by a bunch of gameplay-related inconveniences that were solved effectively in TIE Fighter, and is just less interesting and satisfying than its sequel. X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter is mainly interesting if you'd like to play against other people, at which it's better than Alliance.

The original Dark Forces is one of the best actual straight-up DOOM clones around (i.e. 2.5D FPS, all about exploring sprawling maps and hunting keys and switches), with some - for its time - innovative stuff like crouching, jumping, looking up and down (well before before Duke 3D came around), and an actual narrative. That said, it's hardly as exciting as DOOM, and will likely feel fairly clunky. If you do get Dark Forces, why not give the DarkXL engine a whirl?

Empire At War isn't bad, but at the end of the day it's a cross between basic C&C-style RTS mechanics and Rebellion's galaxy conquest, neither of which it does quite as well as the originals. The space battles are fun and pretty, though. I understand there's mods that may make it a more enthralling experience, but I haven't tried them yet myself.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Sombrerotron posted:

I'd principally recommend TIE Fighter, X-Wing: Alliance, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, and Republic Commando. As for the rest (insofar as I've played them myself):

The original X-Wing is also good, but is marred by a bunch of gameplay-related inconveniences that were solved effectively in TIE Fighter, and is just less interesting and satisfying than its sequel. X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter is mainly interesting if you'd like to play against other people, at which it's better than Alliance.

The original Dark Forces is one of the best actual straight-up DOOM clones around (i.e. 2.5D FPS, all about exploring sprawling maps and hunting keys and switches), with some - for its time - innovative stuff

Empire At War isn't bad, but at the end of the day it's a cross between basic C&C-style RTS mechanics and Rebellion's galaxy conquest, neither of which it does quite as well as the originals. The space battles are fun and pretty, though. I understand there's mods that may make it a more enthralling experience, but I haven't tried them yet myself.

pixelbaron posted:

TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance are probably the best in that group of space combat sims.

Thanks for this. They all certainly look interesting. I bet I could get some friends/goons to play some XvT. I bought Empire at War way back when it first came out because I was suckered in by the cinematic battle mode, but I remember absolutely nothing else about it. Ground combat is a frequent complaint that I hear, as well as lackluster 4x management. If there are mods that clean it up i'll grab it. gently caress it i'm going to end up purchasing all these drat games and playing exactly two of them... GB being one because gently caress yes Star Wars AoE2.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sombrerotron posted:

The original Dark Forces is one of the best actual straight-up DOOM clones around (i.e. 2.5D FPS, all about exploring sprawling maps and hunting keys and switches), with some - for its time - innovative stuff like crouching, jumping, looking up and down (well before before Duke 3D came around), and an actual narrative. That said, it's hardly as exciting as DOOM, and will likely feel fairly clunky. If you do get Dark Forces, why not give the DarkXL engine a whirl?

My problem with Dark Forces is that they didn't incorporate Quick Save or any sort of mid-mission save, so if you run out of lives you restart. I don't have Jedi senses to know where I'm going to be shot from in advance of it happening, so you end up restarting over and over... that's not terribly fun. Somebody did a really nice full remake of Dark Forces, but they only did the first 6 or 7 missions. There was also some kind of engine conversation program or something, but it was buggy. Wish that I could remember what it's called.

There may also have been some kind of program that emulated one quick save slot so long as you didn't restart the game. Can't remember much about that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

It's been available on Steam for some time, but while I wouldn't call Republic Commando an overall amazing game, especially since it doesn't play flawlessly on modern systems, it turned out to be far better than it had any right to be. Kind of like Binary Domain, to use a non Star Wars example, if you ever played that.