Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

projecthalaxy posted:

what if I don't know who most of those dudes are and don't speak foreign
i watched my first njpw show ever recently (guess which one) with the announcers not really knowing what any of the "plotlines" were and it was maybe a billion times better than wwe. it helps that there arent twenty minute promo segments to start shows and gently caress finishes/parity booking

oddly enough when the talent is good and gets to do what they are good at you can tell who you are supposed to cheer and boo for very easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

It's funny to me how many ex-wrestlers don't bother keeping up with the current product. I guess when you're burnt out from wrestling the last thing you want to do with your free time is watch your profession but I do love the very few like Sid Vicious and Lance.

Lance even refused to buy PPVs for years because he hated the idea of paying for wrestling.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Piss in my rear end posted:

He challenged him but couldnt get him down and kept trying to fight him. He was fired because of it.

It's hard to believe (and kind of amusing) that it was enough of a distraction to require his termination. This makes me imagine Mr. Perfect constantly trying to ambush Brock Lesnar backstage at like catering and trying to take out his legs or something. Trying to go for the "Shoot Hardcore 24/7 title."

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Fiveace Attorney posted:

i watched my first njpw show ever recently (guess which one) with the announcers not really knowing what any of the "plotlines" were and it was maybe a billion times better than wwe. it helps that there arent twenty minute promo segments to start shows and gently caress finishes/parity booking

oddly enough when the talent is good and gets to do what they are good at you can tell who you are supposed to cheer and boo for very easily

NJPW is a ton better than WWE right now but in fairness you're comparing NJPW's biggest show of the year to WWE weekly TV

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Spermgod posted:

NJPW is a ton better than WWE right now but in fairness you're comparing NJPW's biggest show of the year to WWE weekly TV

Exactly. Wrestlemania isn't going to open with a 28 minute Authority promo segment.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
That is true but I got the feeling NJPW generally does not do parity booking. Mainly because people just got pinned with finishers, no people getting their heat back after matches and running in and blah blah blah

Regardless of the "wait and see"s I have a really hard time believing WM this year is going to come anywhere close to that show

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

saltylopez posted:

This makes me imagine Mr. Perfect constantly trying to ambush Brock Lesnar backstage at like catering and trying to take out his legs or something. Trying to go for the "Shoot Hardcore 24/7 title."

Rick Rude once challenged the entire WCW locker room to take him down. The only one who succeded was Erik Watts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fiveace Attorney posted:

That is true but I got the feeling NJPW generally does not do parity booking. Mainly because people just got pinned with finishers, no people getting their heat back after matches and running in and blah blah blah

Regardless of the "wait and see"s I have a really hard time believing WM this year is going to come anywhere close to that show

They do it in tournaments (although not so much in this year's G-1) and will do it with outsiders sometimes. They work much more in a guy gets push, wins a lot until push ends, then guy loses a few matches to set up another guy. If a main event player loses a match that seems odd it will usually set up something in a few months.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kirios posted:

Holy poo poo you people have battered wife syndrome.

Are we talking cake batter or fried chicken batter? Because this sounds delicious either way. :munch:

Paulocaust posted:

actually it's pretty apt. also gently caress you.

It's actually nothing like the genuinely diagnosed condition. Nobody's going to stop watching WWE because of the fear of Vince McMahon murdering them. Nobody's experiencing PTSD symptoms from the Royal Rumble. WWE is not cutting off its fans from contact with their friends.

The term you're looking for is "sunk cost fallacy".

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

They do it in tournaments (although not so much in this year's G-1) and will do it with outsiders sometimes. They work much more in a guy gets push, wins a lot until push ends, then guy loses a few matches to set up another guy. If a main event player loses a match that seems odd it will usually set up something in a few months.

Right. I think my bigger issue is after watching that show where the guy who lost in the best match looked like a star, watching this Rumble was bizarro world, where no one is allowed to get over except the guy the fans don't want to

E: Although Seth did get pinned and looked like a star. It's really just the Rumble I'm talking about here. The booking really wasn't bad until Bryan and you could just see Vince rewriting everything

Fiveace Attorney fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 27, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Astro7x posted:

Nobody canceled. I don't know how many time I've seen people say on there they are canceling their network sub, only to see them discussing new network content shortly after.

i canceled WWE network when The Ape John Cena rapadooed for the 100,000th time a few months back and I haven't looked back. I can easily stream PPVs for free so why would I give money to people who clearly don't care about me or what I want?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tezzor posted:

i canceled WWE network when The Ape John Cena rapadooed for the 100,000th time a few months back and I haven't looked back. I can easily stream PPVs for free so why would I give money to people who clearly don't care about me or what I want?

I don't know, why WOULDN'T you? Tell us more.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh good, there it is. :filez: chat ITT.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Where do you find the backstage look at WM30 on the network? I don't know what it's called. Or was it only viewable when it was on after raw?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

sticklefifer posted:

Oh good, there it is. :filez: chat ITT.

at least its more honest than the people i see from here on /wooo/'s tube who post about cancelling their network subs lol

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TheJoker138 posted:

NJPW World.

Already subscribe to that too. I use NJPW World for awesome wrestling and the Network for enjoyable content based on the wrestling I've always known.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Rumblings that Bryan vs. Sheamus will happen at WrestleMania.

Probably not the best timing for that particular match - even though the storyline writes itself; the two have had great matches before; and it'd get Sheamus back to being a strong heel, which is where he's most effective.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Sheamus Bryan is garbage. It was forever ago and no one thinks Sheamus is better than Bryan at this point in time, or really wants to see Bryan beat up the dude who has taken a huge amount of time off after doing nothing noteworthy

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

saltylopez posted:

It's hard to believe (and kind of amusing) that it was enough of a distraction to require his termination.

They did it on a plane

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

i have no desire to see sheamus do anything since he hasnt actually done anything good apart from his JoMo matches

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

i cancelled my subscription.

because i don't have wifi right now and only signed up for the rumble

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
1 million is still way below what it was supposed to be and I bet a bunch of people will cancel and they'll freak the gently caress out right after Mania, which is exactly what happened last year

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Whatever you think about the current booking, it's insane that I can pay $20 a month and get every WWE PPV and NJPW PPV, as well as all the archives.

I don't think that's ever going to stop blowing my mind. I used to pay like $20 just for a single DVD set of a guy's best matches, now I can just load up pretty much whatever I want at any time.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I cancelled but thats mainly because I can always just resub whenever I want. WWE is always like that, the product turns to poo poo and I stop watching, things turn around for whatever reason and you get back into it again

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yuriy posted:

i have no desire to see sheamus do anything since he hasnt actually done anything good apart from his JoMo matches

i like when he has matches with other tall dudes and they potato each other

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I wish I had ever subscribed to the WWE Network at any point, just so I could cancel that subscription. :smug:

(note: I don't do any of that :filez: poo poo either, I just don't watch their product at all these days. I like to keep up with the various goings-on, tho, purely for the occasional bit of Vince McMahon schadenfreude. :v:)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I cancelled but thats mainly because I can always just resub whenever I want. WWE is always like that, the product turns to poo poo and I stop watching, things turn around for whatever reason and you get back into it again

Same here. I cancelled because I'm hoping I'll have time to sub to Fightpass and load up on Pancrase until Mania when I sub again.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Stuff from Meltzer:

872k United States (which includes foreign VPN sign-ups), 128K Foreign Subscribers.

Free November gave them the biggest boost. They saw a boost for the Rumble, and a small boost even yesterday for whatever reason you want to say.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
poo poo.

I just realized WWE sees Dean Ambrose as a comedy nutjob character, not a serious anti-establishment/anti-hero character.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

Red posted:

poo poo.

I just realized WWE sees Dean Ambrose as a comedy nutjob character, not a serious anti-establishment/anti-hero character.
That's pretty much what he is, although I don't even mind the former. He kind of reminds me of Mankind

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Red posted:

poo poo.

You mean to tell me that they don't take the guy who has won 2 singles matches in the past year seriously????

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Whatever you think about the current booking, it's insane that I can pay $20 a month and get every WWE PPV and NJPW PPV, as well as all the archives.

I don't think that's ever going to stop blowing my mind. I used to pay like $20 just for a single DVD set of a guy's best matches, now I can just load up pretty much whatever I want at any time.

its a crazy time. as much poo poo as I talk about the main show, the nxt specials and archives are worth the money. NJPW world and the network for less than what I spend going out 1 night

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Daniel Bryan posted:

Stuff from Meltzer:

872k United States (which includes foreign VPN sign-ups), 128K Foreign Subscribers.

Free November gave them the biggest boost. They saw a boost for the Rumble, and a small boost even yesterday for whatever reason you want to say.

Vince bought a bunch of subs to say gently caress you to those smarky philly peoples.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fiveace Attorney posted:

That's pretty much what he is, although I don't even mind the former. He kind of reminds me of Mankind

WWE has enough comedy characters, and they're rarely actually funny. Besides which, don't serious characters draw more business?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Sheamus Bryan is garbage. It was forever ago and no one thinks Sheamus is better than Bryan at this point in time, or really wants to see Bryan beat up the dude who has taken a huge amount of time off after doing nothing noteworthy

I really enjoyed Sheamus' last run. I thought he managed to make the US Title actually mean something to the point that Rusev winning it off him was somewhat of a big deal.

And well if they're not using Bryan for a while I won't complain at seeing Sheamus/Bryan tear the house down round Reigns.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Yuriy posted:

Sheamus/Bryan at Extreme Rules a few years ago was pretty good. Have Sheamus attack Bryan on RAW to turn heel, cut a bitter promo or two about how he's beaten Bryan every time they've wrestled and how the fans should hail him as a hero instead of Bryan, build the match around Bryan overcoming the one true black mark against him in his WWE career, and give the two enough time to do a great big vs. little match where Bryan overcomes the odds. If they aren't going to have Bryan in an upper-card match anyway, they might as well use him to create a strong heel in Sheamus and give us a ****+ match out of it.

Just a simple midcard storyline with a good payoff and no crazy swerve-y stuff (I'd save that for the main event).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

I like watching Seamus matches, especially when he gets into hoss-offs with other stiff-working dudes (he had some cool matches with Cesaro) it's just hard to care about him because in the entirety of the time I've been watching he's never been in a memorable angle or possibly an angle at all as far as I can tell. If he actually had an interesting feud with somebody I would probably get psyched for it a bit until it inevitably descended into midcard back-and-forth.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

You mean to tell me that they don't take the guy who has won 2 singles matches in the past year seriously????

I just don't understand why they hate money. The guy moved t-shirts, why make him an unshaven clown?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

has bryan ever wrestled HHH because that would be kinda sweet and id give more of a poo poo about that than sting/hhh or whatever theyre building to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Yuriy posted:

has bryan ever wrestled HHH because that would be kinda sweet and id give more of a poo poo about that than sting/hhh or whatever theyre building to

Nope.

• Locked thread