Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Oh but those numbers are from the CDC. Everyone knows you can't trust them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Oh, it's also become a conservative talking point that the measles outbreak is happening because of illegal immigrants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Oh, it's also become a conservative talking point that the measles outbreak is happening because of illegal immigrants.

Did anybody point out that that isn't really mutually exclusive with the idea that it's happening because of stupid people not vaccinating their children?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elderbean posted:

Doesn't Mexico have a much higher vaccination rate than America?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was a bigger outbreak a few years back - i think in BC - that was initially caused by an immigrant from India. Not Mexico though. I haven't even heard of Mexico having measles outbreaks at all. Their healthcare is crazy inexpensive and people are very happy to use it from my understanding.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tigntink posted:

There was a bigger outbreak a few years back - i think in BC - that was initially caused by an immigrant from India. Not Mexico though. I haven't even heard of Mexico having measles outbreaks at all. Their healthcare is crazy inexpensive and people are very happy to use it from my understanding.

uncultured fools

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, Mexico and most of South America has vaccination rates of around 98%, compared to around 90~91% in the U.S.A. A few sane conservatives actually occasionally try to point that out. Majority Catholic third world countries really have nothing against vaccinations, and have a pretty good idea what it's like living with a horrible disease. So if you want to someone to blame for disease outbreaks, blame the hippies.

There are some countries like Pakistan, that consider vaccines CIA plots. Which is kind of a fair cop, since the CIA did use vaccinations as an excuse to try to find OBL. As soon as that became public knowledge, they've been banned from doing that. It was huge gently caress up by the CIA.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 28, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

poo poo might be about to get even more serious :negative:

quote:

Health officials believe the Phoenix-area woman recently diagnosed with measles may have exposed as many as 195 children to the disease at the Phoenix Children's East Valley Center on Jan. 20 and 21.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/28/arizona-measles-disneyland-outbreak-phoenix-children/22452491/

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Well that certainly is the pick-me-upper I needed today. There are a lot of factors which will be at play, but even if everyone is vaccinated and not immunocompromised we will see more cases.

Just going off what information is I the article, given that's the place is a medical establishment I would half expect more adults to have been exposed than children. The number seems more like a how many children were present at the time as opposed to a real estimate. I hope anyway.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

torpedan posted:

Well that certainly is the pick-me-upper I needed today. There are a lot of factors which will be at play, but even if everyone is vaccinated and not immunocompromised we will see more cases.

Just going off what information is I the article, given that's the place is a medical establishment I would half expect more adults to have been exposed than children. The number seems more like a how many children were present at the time as opposed to a real estimate. I hope anyway.
Phoenix Children's East Valley Center is a satellite of Phoenix Children's Hospital that (according to its website) houses specialty clinics including cardiology, oncology, neurology, nephrology, pulmonology. You know, all the big ones for immune compromised kids and children with special needs. If it's anything like the Children's Hospital were I take my kid, there's a hugely increased ratio of kids with really big medical issues over a regular hospital. This could really be a huge loving problem.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The real concern here is whether or not it'll spread to Seattle's defense. Measles could deflate their ability to stop Gronk.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

Yeah, Mexico and most of South America has vaccination rates of around 98%, compared to around 90~91% in the U.S.A. A few sane conservatives actually occasionally try to point that out. Majority Catholic third world countries really have nothing against vaccinations, and have a pretty good idea what it's like living with a horrible disease. So if you want to someone to blame for disease outbreaks, blame the hippies.

There are some countries like Pakistan, that consider vaccines CIA plots. Which is kind of a fair cop, since the CIA did use vaccinations as an excuse to try to find OBL. As soon as that became public knowledge, they've been banned from doing that. It was huge gently caress up by the CIA.

Not only did the CIA use vaccination as a means to finding OBL, but they didn't even use real vaccines. So now Polio is on the rebound in Pakistan because the CIA fake-injected a bunch of people who thought they were being immunized to Polio.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ActusRhesus posted:

Look, after the whole cry it out debate I think we've already established I'm the world's worst parent. Today thanks to the Snowpocalypse I let her help me play mass effect. Tyke's got a knack for.headshots.

My 18-month-old son managed to unlock a challenge in Smash Bros. by landing a 30-hit combo in Training mode. I was out of the room for a few seconds, and I can't begin to imagine how he did that.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Not only did the CIA use vaccination as a means to finding OBL, but they didn't even use real vaccines. So now Polio is on the rebound in Pakistan because the CIA fake-injected a bunch of people who thought they were being immunized to Polio.

Huh, one of the many things the Pakistani government charged Shakil Afridi with is taking boxes of WHO vaccines without authorization. This seemed to support the CIA's claim that there were real vaccinations given by real healthcare workers (this part at least is absolutely true), but under false pretenses. I also thought it was a fake Hepatitis B immunization drive they used, not Polio.

Either way it's damaging to the efforts of legitimate health workers, but it seems there's contention in the areas you're talking about.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 28, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

My 18-month-old son managed to unlock a challenge in Smash Bros. by landing a 30-hit combo in Training mode. I was out of the room for a few seconds, and I can't begin to imagine how he did that.

Button mashing.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

So if you want to someone to blame for disease outbreaks, blame the hippies.
It's generally suburbanites with disposable income, and crosses political divides, so 'hippies' aren't really the problem.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mdemone posted:

loving meta-knight. Ban him.

vvvvvv "Voxx" :allears:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 29, 2015

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

eNeMeE posted:

It's generally suburbanites with disposable income, and crosses political divides, so 'hippies' aren't really the problem.

Pretty much this. It goes 2 ways - either its people who are crazy and think the government is going to put microchips in their vaccines or mind control devices or its crazy crystal people who also think they are poison.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
People who do not vaccinate are difficult to typecast. There are going to be plenty of people who fall into the crunchy camp, but many people who have not vaccinated simply do out of fear and lack of knowledge. As mentioned by Voxx earlier, fear can often lead to people making incorrect decisions when presented with conflicting information. There are plenty of people who are completely off the deep end, but at the end of the day everyone is trying to do what they think is right (hence why you are seeing more people going out and getting their children vaccinated as the situation changes.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

US anti-vaccination campaigner Dr Sherri Tenpenny cancels tour of Australia

Date
January 29, 2015 - 10:40AM

79 reading now

Julia Medew

A controversial US anti-vaccination campaigner has cancelled her Australian tour, saying she feels threatened by "pro vaccine extremists" and "anti-free-speech terrorists".

Sherri Tenpenny, an osteopath who has infuriated doctors by linking vaccines to a range of disorders including autism, was due to arrive in Australia to run a series of seminars next month.

The author of "Saying No to Vaccines" had planned to tour Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and the Gold Coast, a hot spot for anti-vaccination parents.

But after a campaign by health professionals and scientists to prevent her spreading dangerous "lies", the Australian organiser of her tour, Stephanie Messenger, issued a statement on Thursday saying she had cancelled her trip because "pro vaccine extremists" had made "continual, anonymous threats of vandalism and violence".

"We have reached a point where we can no longer guarantee the safety of those attending the seminar," said Ms Messenger, an anti-vaccination advocate who penned the maligned children's book Melanie's Marvellous Measles.

"Some people were planning to bring babies. The threats have been persistent. We are not able to insure that the attendees would be safe from harm."

The statement said "anti-free-speech terrorists" had threatened to bomb venues and commit other violence against venue owners, all of whom cancelled bookings for Dr Tenpenny's seminars in the past month.

"It's difficult to grasp why pro-vaccine extremists are so adamantly against freedom of speech.
They have taken it one step further. They have blocked the freedom to hear information that is not in line with their pro-vaccine message," Dr Tenpenny said.

"I was coming to speak as an invited guest. However, given the level of hostility that has transpired over the last three weeks, and for the sake of my own personal safety, I have also cancelled my planned vacation in Australia."

The statement said although "additional options" were being considered, all tickets sold for the events would be refunded.

John Cunningham, a surgeon and spokesman for the pro-vaccination group that campaigned against Dr Tenpenny's tour, Stop the AVN, welcomed the news and said the only threats against venue operators were made by an anti-vaccine campaigner who threatened to burn down one property and bomb another if it cancelled her seminars.

Mr Cunningham, who previously called on the federal government to ban Dr Tenpenny from entering Australia, said the Australian community's outcry against her and her supporters had been overwhelming.

"Australia should be proud that as a nation, we have the ability to recognise when someone is trying to mislead us, and react accordingly. Free speech in Australia does not mean you have the right to say anything you like without fear of criticism.

"Rather, anyone from politicians to health practitioners to journalists should be prepared to face vigorous criticism whenever they try and spread lies and, in this case, what amounts to ideologically driven rubbish."

Dr Tenpenny is an osteopath who says she also worked as an emergency physician.

Cross-posting, but yes pro-vaccination people are now bomb throwing terrorists.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

If the threats were real (lol), they would be...less unjustifiable than some threats.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eNeMeE posted:

Then why do I keep seeing calls to "more natural ways", rants about the evil money hungry ways of "Big Pharma"/FDA/Monsanto and so on? I get that they don't compromise 100% of anti-vaxxers, but to shove them under the rug and say "well both sides are bad" seems really naive. Conservatives aren't the ones calling for folks to rely on "Mother Nature" or to "listen to the wisdom of thousands of generations of mothers", while pulling out their healing crystals and so on.

Every time I hear this I can't help but think it's someone who doesn't want to believe that the left has their own issues with science. Believe it, they do.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Then why do I keep seeing calls to "more natural ways", rants about the evil money hungry ways of "Big Pharma"/FDA/Monsanto and so on? I get that they don't compromise 100% of anti-vaxxers, but to shove them under the rug and say "well both sides are bad" seems really naive. Conservatives aren't the ones calling for folks to rely on "Mother Nature" or to "listen to the wisdom of thousands of generations of mothers", while pulling out their healing crystals and so on.

Every time I hear this I can't help but think it's someone who doesn't want to believe that the left has their own issues with science. Believe it, they do.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/2011/04/27/more-polling-data-on-the-politics-of-vaccine-resistance/

http://www.fiercevaccines.com/story/survey-anti-vaccine-views-have-little-correlation-politics/2014-01-29

https://today.yougov.com/news/2012/12/05/public-support-vaccination-remains-strong/

quote:

There was a modest minority of respondents who held a negative orientation toward vaccines.
These respondents, however, could not be characterized as belonging to any recognizable subgroup identified by demographic characteristics, religiosity, science comprehension, or political or cultural outlooks.
Indeed, groups bitterly divided over other science issues, including climate change and human evolution,
all saw vaccine risks as low and vaccine benefits as high. Even within those groups, in other words, individuals hostile to childhood vaccinations are outliers.
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2386034

Lid posted:

quote:

the only threats against venue operators were made by an anti-vaccine campaigner who threatened to burn down one property and bomb another if it cancelled her seminars.
Something doesn't match there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

Have you ever been to suburbia or met a suburbanite? Honest question; it's an important thing to think about in this kind of situation. The reason this sort of thing happens, and this also factors in to upper class white suburbanites often being lolbertarian or conservative shits, is that in suburbia it's very, very easy to create a little social bubble and yourself and your community. Suburbanites generally move to the suburbs to get away from all the terrifying poo poo in the city like, you know, people different than me and people who believe things different from what I do. It becomes unbelievably easy to totally isolate yourself from the rest of the world. This is why you have entire communities where the vaccination rate is like 30%. These people do not view the world outside their community as relevant and believe that the entirety of the rest of the world is actively trying to harm them. These are people that will pat each other on the back for being afraid of them and not trusting them. These are also people who likely don't have jobs that require them to deal with the public.

This insular attitude and insular life leads them to just plain not seeing anything they do not want to see. Unwelcome things are kept out of the bubble. Like was said it's often upper middle class white people with disposable incomes. These are people with more time on their hands than, say, a poor person would have on top of a view of themselves as better and special just because of their social class. These are also the same people that buy into the Indigo Children bullshit (hello Jenny McCarthy, how are you today?).

Your average hippie is socially aware enough to understand that your actions affect others and you should care about that. Suburbanites only care what happens within their bubble and the rest of the world can get hosed. Since they have never seen first hand the awful poo poo these diseases can do they just don't care but the off chance that their child might become autistic is the end of the loving world. These are also people that expect to raise the next generation's doctors, lawyers, leaders, and scientists so anything at all that threatens that must not enter their bubble. These are people that also sometimes believe that their children are exceptional in every way and are thus just flat out never going to have to deal with those diseases that you mere mortals have to deal with.

Disease is something that happens to poor people and is brought on by how much poor people suck. I, a non-poor person living in the suburbs, am untouchable by such things.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think that hippie is the right term to use here. The average antivaxxer is a suburban mom, not what I imagine when I hear the word "hippie"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

QuarkJets posted:

I don't think that hippie is the right term to use here. The average antivaxxer is a suburban mom, not what I imagine when I hear the word "hippie"

All the hippies grew up to be suburban moms like everybody else. There are five actual hippies left on Earth despite the best efforts of a captive breeding program.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I think it's safe to say that there are a lot of people in the New Age movement that are anti-vaxx though. That whole lifestyle promotes natural healing and usually comes paired with anti-corporate ideologies.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
lmao, from a friend of a facebook friend,

quote:

I'm not worried about the pro-vaxxers- there is a plethora of evidence that points to the fact that they are rapidly injecting themselves with their own executions. The recent outbreaks of measles in the US- and the deaths of *vaccinated individuals outweighing any other group*- indicate that their own mythologies are rapidly approaching to kick them into extinction. I'm focusing on keeping my immune system boosted through consciousness and awareness of what debilitates it and ignoring the hysteria about disease, which is, after all, *energetic* at its core, just like everything else. Let the walking dead bury the actual dead.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

ActusRhesus posted:

Look, after the whole cry it out debate I think we've already established I'm the world's worst parent. Today thanks to the Snowpocalypse I let her help me play mass effect. Tyke's got a knack for.headshots.

World's best mom itt (I loving love Mass Effect)

OK, thread, so, look WE know that all the anti-vacc stuff is bullshit.

So, what is in it for the people espousing this absolutely wrong message? Like, no doubt it has it's true believers but...somewhere this started off as some weird form of petty-rear end malice. It has to have. Right?

Like this poo poo flat out makes no sense to me. Vaccines are loving amazing. How do you find a doctor to stone-face go 'This poo poo will kill your children' and set off national panic?

It's like fluoride. Everyone tells me it's awful for me, but no one can explain why.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Armani posted:

World's best mom itt (I loving love Mass Effect)

OK, thread, so, look WE know that all the anti-vacc stuff is bullshit.

So, what is in it for the people espousing this absolutely wrong message? Like, no doubt it has it's true believers but...somewhere this started off as some weird form of petty-rear end malice. It has to have. Right?

Like this poo poo flat out makes no sense to me. Vaccines are loving amazing. How do you find a doctor to stone-face go 'This poo poo will kill your children' and set off national panic?

It's like fluoride. Everyone tells me it's awful for me, but no one can explain why.

The original source of 'vaccines cause Autism' was caused by 'Dr.' Andrew Wakefield. He had developed an alternative MMR vaccine, but there was a problem, nobody wanted to buy his new MMR vaccine since the old MMR vaccine already worked pretty well and was cheaper to boot.

So faced with millions of dollars on the line, he made up a study, saying that the old MMR vaccine causes autism, and as a sales point, his new MMR vaccine didn't cause autism. His studies have been savaged to the point that everybody who ever had anything to do with him has pretty much recanted anything to do with him.

That lead to a lot of people just thinking that all vaccines cause autism. Who is actually shocked that Jenny McCarthy doesn't keep up with the latest advances in medical journals?

So yeah, some doctors will commit malpractice with dollar signs in their eyes. The medical community will quickly shun them, its only the alternative medicine quacks who entertain his presence. But they're getting rich off the anti-vax community.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 29, 2015

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Wakefield originally wanted to scare people off the MMR so they'd get M, M and R vaccines separately (he had a measles treatment).

Now he's just playing the wingnut welfare game.

It's a messy pile of terrible (he almost killed one of the 12 kids he used in the study, I think) and "Brian Deer Wakefield" should get enough Google hits for anyone's curiosity.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003

Lid posted:

It is unfortunate that this article gives so much weight to comments from Tenpenny and her supporters. It very much seems the article suffers from a false balance and if read from an more unbiased view could very easily be taken to be supporting her.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

torpedan posted:

It is unfortunate that this article gives so much weight to comments from Tenpenny and her supporters. It very much seems the article suffers from a false balance and if read from an more unbiased view could very easily be taken to be supporting her.

This article is written in a country that is very very very very pro-vaccination overall with only very few areas, mostly remnants of the hippy age, are against them. The articles mostly are pretty much statin g "laugh at these loving loonies" hence why rather than take the threats seriously its pointed out the only threats came from her end.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Have you ever been to suburbia or met a suburbanite? Honest question; it's an important thing to think about in this kind of situation. The reason this sort of thing happens, and this also factors in to upper class white suburbanites often being lolbertarian or conservative shits, is that in suburbia it's very, very easy to create a little social bubble and yourself and your community. Suburbanites generally move to the suburbs to get away from all the terrifying poo poo in the city like, you know, people different than me and people who believe things different from what I do. It becomes unbelievably easy to totally isolate yourself from the rest of the world. This is why you have entire communities where the vaccination rate is like 30%. These people do not view the world outside their community as relevant and believe that the entirety of the rest of the world is actively trying to harm them. These are people that will pat each other on the back for being afraid of them and not trusting them. These are also people who likely don't have jobs that require them to deal with the public.

This insular attitude and insular life leads them to just plain not seeing anything they do not want to see. Unwelcome things are kept out of the bubble. Like was said it's often upper middle class white people with disposable incomes. These are people with more time on their hands than, say, a poor person would have on top of a view of themselves as better and special just because of their social class. These are also the same people that buy into the Indigo Children bullshit (hello Jenny McCarthy, how are you today?).

Your average hippie is socially aware enough to understand that your actions affect others and you should care about that. Suburbanites only care what happens within their bubble and the rest of the world can get hosed. Since they have never seen first hand the awful poo poo these diseases can do they just don't care but the off chance that their child might become autistic is the end of the loving world. These are also people that expect to raise the next generation's doctors, lawyers, leaders, and scientists so anything at all that threatens that must not enter their bubble. These are people that also sometimes believe that their children are exceptional in every way and are thus just flat out never going to have to deal with those diseases that you mere mortals have to deal with.

Disease is something that happens to poor people and is brought on by how much poor people suck. I, a non-poor person living in the suburbs, am untouchable by such things.

This is the most elitist pile of crap I've seen on this thread.

Basically you prove this point:

Solkanar512 posted:

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 29, 2015

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Suburban Hell

Yes, I live north of Seattle. I've seen a good bit of that, but with a heavy dose of yoga, kombucha tea and an obsession with everything being all-natural all piled into the back of a second generation Subaru Outback with their two dogs. They're all modern hippies. Interestingly enough, Wakefield and McCarthy are never mentioned, it's always Big Bad Pharma making MONEY on UNNATURAL TOXIC POISONS that WILL KILL YOU DEAD BECAUSE MY ACUPUNCTURIST/CHIROPRACTOR/"DOCTOR" SAID SO. That isn't the sort of language you see on your typical conservative news site.

I'm not going to deny the existence of "GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY BODY" types, but they're not the ones living on the coasts and clustering together to destroy herd immunity as we know it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, I live north of Seattle. Everything you're written I've seen personally, but with a heavy dose of yoga, kombucha tea and an obsession with everything being all-natural all piled into the back of a second generation Subaru Outback with their two dogs. Interestingly enough, Wakefield and McCarthy are never mentioned, it's always Big Bad Pharma making MONEY on UNNATURAL TOXIC POISONS that WILL KILL YOU DEAD BECAUSE MY ACUPUNCTURIST/CHIROPRACTOR/"DOCTOR" SAID SO. That isn't the sort of language you see on your typical conservative news site.

Oh don't worry the conservative side is equally as bad with praying whooping cough away. Except we know the only thing going away is the diaphragm's ability to suck in delicious oxygen.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Can we just agree that there are anti-vax nutjobs across the political spectrum and stop treating this as an us vs. them political superiority thing?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ActusRhesus posted:

This is the most elitist pile of crap I've seen on this thread.

Basically you prove this point:

I wasn't accusing suburbanites of all being conservative shits but rather pointing out how people in the suburbs create these little bubbles where outside views are not welcome. Some communities go full on anti-vax crazy and others go full lolbertarian. It depends on the community.

The other side of it is these people actually, you know, have money so they're often the target for marketing, up to and including pseudoscientific "medical" bullshit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

Can we just agree that there are anti-vax nutjobs across the political spectrum and stop treating this as an us vs. them political superiority thing?

For me, it's about being some who is on the left calling out those on "my side". It's not about scoring points but rather ensuring that "my side" isn't taken over by anti-science pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Look, I'm sorry it makes you uncomfortable, but the people in those demographics are the one who give the anti-vaccine movement power. They have disproportionate political influence compared to other groups, who are generally marginalized in comparison. Minorities in America have reason to be suspicious of medical institutions due to past exploitation, but they are not as politically powerful due to continued racism against them. Hippies are still treated with enough scorn that they're essentially locked out of the discussion. The suburban white supporters come from both the fringe left and right, but they generally fit the descriptions in this thread, and they're just different flavors of the same dangerous, negligent, selfish idiots. Without their support, the problem would not be nearly as widespread.

• Locked thread