Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My favorite joke in all of DBZA is Vegeta yelling in pain 'Why did I explode?' after getting thrashed by Zarbon.

Because...why did he explode there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Is there any word on language options for the American release of Xenoverse? I think I'm in the minority as far as this thread is concerned, but I really prefer the Japanese voices.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Is there any word on language options for the American release of Xenoverse? I think I'm in the minority as far as this thread is concerned, but I really prefer the Japanese voices.

In a perfect world it would include a Team Four Star dub.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Most recent DBZ games have included a JP voice option iirc, so while I can't say 'yeah it's happening' it seems likely.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Factory Factory posted:

I'm eager to see the payoff in DBM for Buu's Advice Adventure. I am not sure what his gig is, and I'm not convinced he isn't just acting nonsensically, but it's a neat plot development that is just starting to wear out its welcome.

I really wish DBM would release in chapters instead of pages. The page by page approach does not work well with a continuing story like this and people in this thread love to post spoilers for it without tags so I can't just avoid it for a few months and let several pages accumulate.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Welcome to webcomic hell.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I was reading that kazenshuu page about how Dragonball was unpopular at first but then really took off during the first Tenkaichi Budokai arc cause the readers love tournaments. I just don't get that. Tournament arcs in manga are always my least favorite thing and seem like a lousy cover up for a lack of plot. My interest in any anime drops if they ever get in a tournament, which is like all the goddamn time.

Do Japanese people just really love tournaments or something?

Tournaments are the best way to showcase whatever crazy abilities/techniques/powers that the main cast of characters use at their disposal. Sure there are other ways, but it's the most time-tested and reliable method of fleshing out the ecology of whatever sets a certain manga/anime apart from its competition.

You gotta think who these things are aimed towards; a young teenage crowd. Sometimes you don't wanna explore the subtle nuances of a setting, you just wanna watch a dude beat up another dude in a flashy method. Also it seems to be a good method for experimenting fight scene choreography and arena scale. Think of it as a way for the mangaka to better understand the rules of comics so he can push or break them if needed. Arguably Naruto's strongest arc was the Chunnin Exams, because it was a good way of setting up the blueprints for the concept of the jutsu system.

That's half the point of the shounen genre; to put together enough of an excuse to have wild fights. What separates the wheat from the chaff is whether the author chooses to build upon the world scope once these mechanics are worked out. When it works well, you get things like One Piece. When all of your efforts are poured into the fights without any real effort in fleshing out the scope of the world, you get things like Bleach.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fights in bleach were boring too though

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I find a lot of the fights in One Piece boring. DBZ had this really too slim cast of actual relevant characters issue, modern shonen has gone the other way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, One Piece is okay with cast bloat. The main cast is only 9 people strong, which seems like an okay number for fight variety without the Bleach/Naruto problem of a bunch of useless hanger-ons.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Well, DBZ had its fair share of useless hangers on as well. See every non-alien post-Namek.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Endorph posted:

Eh, One Piece is okay with cast bloat. The main cast is only 9 people strong, which seems like an okay number for fight variety without the Bleach/Naruto problem of a bunch of useless hanger-ons.

See, I'd say One Piece is worse about it than Bleach and Naruto. Bleach has only ever really had Ichigo, Orihime, Chad, and Uryu as main characters and pretty quickly got into the habit of having everyone but Ichigo basically cycle through as "main" cast for the sake of fights which ultimately works pretty well. Ichigo gets the important fights, you cycle through the rest of the cast based on popularity for the fodder.

Naruto never really even pretended anyone outside of the Core Three of Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke would be proper main characters, but there were a lot of secondary characters. For a while though it did a decent job of rotating in the lesser characters between the Big Fights, and even the final run managed to have some of the secondary characters worked in well enough. At least one of the best arcs in the series was entirely focused on (very likable) secondary characters.

But One Piece has a core cast that's larger than Naruto and Bleach put together, on top of constantly introducing what often ends up being Arc Specific Characters that are generally given significant weight and screen time at the expense of the already large core cast only to generally be dropped and (largely) forgotten as soon as they hit the next island. At least Naruto and Bleach tended to bring the lesser characters back in every so often to offer some kind of extra perspective to the main story once their job was done, even if it was pretty minor.

That said, DBZ had the issue of there only really being one useful character surrounded by increasingly less useful characters based on the amount of Saiyan blood they had with no real effort ever made to make anything for the other characters to even do but stand around and gape.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand all 9 of the main cast members in one piece gets scenes and development and at least a couple of fight scenes

what the gently caress did chad ever do

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
You remember Chad and forget Rukia as a main character

loving Chad

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Endorph posted:

on the other hand all 9 of the main cast members in one piece gets scenes and development and at least a couple of fight scenes

what the gently caress did chad ever do

Job to everybody ever.

Even loving Renji at least got to win like one fight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Do we all remember that time Chad debuted his awesome new arm power to beat some Hollow guy, only for one of the actual 10 main baddies to show up and loving one shot him and put him out of commission for the remainder of the arc?

I'd feel bad for him, but Chad was a massive loving bore anyway.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Remember when Chad was in the fullbringer arc and was made out to be important for the story since he was one of them then walked off into a desert and did nothing?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

See, I'd say One Piece is worse about it than Bleach and Naruto. Bleach has only ever really had Ichigo, Orihime, Chad, and Uryu as main characters and pretty quickly got into the habit of having everyone but Ichigo basically cycle through as "main" cast for the sake of fights which ultimately works pretty well. Ichigo gets the important fights, you cycle through the rest of the cast based on popularity for the fodder.

Naruto never really even pretended anyone outside of the Core Three of Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke would be proper main characters, but there were a lot of secondary characters. For a while though it did a decent job of rotating in the lesser characters between the Big Fights, and even the final run managed to have some of the secondary characters worked in well enough. At least one of the best arcs in the series was entirely focused on (very likable) secondary characters.

But One Piece has a core cast that's larger than Naruto and Bleach put together, on top of constantly introducing what often ends up being Arc Specific Characters that are generally given significant weight and screen time at the expense of the already large core cast only to generally be dropped and (largely) forgotten as soon as they hit the next island. At least Naruto and Bleach tended to bring the lesser characters back in every so often to offer some kind of extra perspective to the main story once their job was done, even if it was pretty minor.

That said, DBZ had the issue of there only really being one useful character surrounded by increasingly less useful characters based on the amount of Saiyan blood they had with no real effort ever made to make anything for the other characters to even do but stand around and gape.

I liked Tien's 'I may suck but I can still be slightly useful!' bit and Krillin finally going for a killshot with Destructo Disc in the Cell Saga, it's a shame Toriyama didn't really try anything like that outside of Hercule in the Buu saga

Also it must be really weird as a voice actor just to have this recurring role where you do absolutely nothing of note and just deliver disjointed exposition and grunts

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Famitsu's guys gave Xenoverse a 7, 8, 8, 7. No review attached yet as far as the reasons why. If it matters (it doesn't), they scored Battle of Z higher. I've never agreed with Famitsu before, but it's funny to see the "why isn't this game I like rated a 10/10" guys come out and complain about integrity. I think 30/40 is an okay score anyway - I'm not expecting some deep intense tourney fighter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Also it must be really weird as a voice actor just to have this recurring role where you do absolutely nothing of note and just deliver disjointed exposition and grunts

Meh, a paycheck is a paycheck. It's not like it's anymore jointed from their perspective as I doubt lines are recorded in order.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Firstborn posted:

Famitsu's guys gave Xenoverse a 7, 8, 8, 7. No review attached yet as far as the reasons why. If it matters (it doesn't), they scored Battle of Z higher. I've never agreed with Famitsu before, but it's funny to see the "why isn't this game I like rated a 10/10" guys come out and complain about integrity. I think 30/40 is an okay score anyway - I'm not expecting some deep intense tourney fighter.

If anything, I'm willing to believe the 30/40 score as opposed to anything 39/40 or 40/40 that's come out in the past few years. Once you get away from the perfect scores, most reviews tend to be a bit more honest and not "HURR DURR I EAT MONEY AND POOP REVIEWS." Not that there's anything wrong with that, oh god I am not trying to open a can of worms.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My main worry is that it might control really wonky, something that threw me right out of Battle of Z. I still have no idea how to do anything in that game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've resolved myself to getting it plus the season pass. I've played other games with middling reviews and had a good time. Not every game on the market can be a 10/10, and I'm in America where anything over 70% is a passing grade.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Regardless of how the internet feels, I think Zarbon was pretty funny. The writing for him was good, and him having a girlfriend was the best. The F.A.G. joke isn't good, though. I don't know a kid who didn't think the whole anime bishounen thing weren't gay. No offense to anyone.

I always thought TFS portrayal of zarbon's was just a joke on how he was portrayed in the original dub.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

facebook jihad posted:

My favorite joke in all of DBZA is Vegeta yelling in pain 'Why did I explode?' after getting thrashed by Zarbon.

Because...why did he explode there?

He just came down with a bad case of explosions. Happens sometimes, ya know?

Nerdier Answer: You see an aura around him when he gets launched downward. I always assume Zarbon basically coated him in some of his ki while he had Vegeta in the bear hug, and just had it trigger when he collided with something, like a metaphysical bomb. *shrug*

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Every member of the crew gets an important fight or is important to the plot/overcoming the conflict. Chad beats a random mook anyone else could without breaking a sweat.

Sanji beats a mook, tampers with the control system so they can escape, and is doing a bunch of other stuff. Usopp the weakest character in the crew saves the crews bacon in fights and is often the main person who exploits the whole in the Big Bad's plan. Sanji and Nami have been sorta floating around in this recent arc but that's not the standard, it's the aberration of normally happens.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'd question labeling Orihime, Chad, and Uryu main characters at all.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd question labeling Orihime, Chad, and Uryu main characters at all.

Yeah, my point was more that they were set up as main characters but then everybody (Rukia, Renji, Kenpachi, etc.) end up getting cycled through for "main character" style fights throughout the rest. The closest any of those three get to being a main character anymore is Uryu's role in the current arc, whatever the hell that is.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
One Piece has an enormous world and enough characters to fill it, all with varying levels of power, importance, influence, relationships with each other and the main crew. If you were to go down a list of every character with even a semi-significant role in the plot or action, it would probably be just as packed as Naruto and Bleach on a per-arc basis. The difference there is Naruto and Bleach have static casts, with occasional newcomers or deaths or whatever. It's in the nature of the stories. The Strawhat Pirates are on a journey and with a single exception, never go backwards. They leave the island the last arc was on and that's it, they don't come back. On to the next one. They in turn leave behind the allies and friends they met in that arc. It helps keep things fresh. Meanwhile, because Naruto and Ichigo are always going back home after the last big battle, the people they're interacting with are always the same. The Konoha ninjas never really change much. They're always there. The Gotei 13 are even more present because they often get significant screentime compared to a lot of the Naruto cast. But it got stale and bloated after awhile. I got sick of seeing them. With One Piece you have a larger "core" cast of 9, and an overall character count in the triple digits, but it's presented in a much more palatable light because while some characters will make big cool returns after an absence, the majority of them just stay home and occasionally there's a cover page showing what they're up to, like with Vivi, arguably one of the most important side characters in the series (but anyone who would argue that is an idiot because she's a Strawhat not a side character).

Anyway my point is I hate the bloated cast of Bleach because I'm sick of seeing swordghosts taking all the spotlight, and I hated the bloated cast of Naruto because I was sick of the ninja wizards not getting ENOUGH spotlight. One Piece balances it pretty well. DBZ did some cool stuff and the cast never got too big but all of them got useless which is also lovely and something younger guys seem to have learned from. Sometimes.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think One Piece's newest arc has really failed to properly balance all of the main cast with all of the characters from the island they're on, though. Oda put half of them on a bus for now because he couldn't figure out what to do with them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my fav part of one piece was the impel down arc because it was luffy working with a bunch of former villains without any of them losing their personality in the process. they just had goals that aligned with luffy's, they weren't suddenly good guys.

edit: though yeah i lost interest after the timeskip.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I found an old VHS tape that had Tree of Might on it recorded off of Toonami. Goddamn this movie rules

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think One Piece's newest arc has really failed to properly balance all of the main cast with all of the characters from the island they're on, though. Oda put half of them on a bus for now because he couldn't figure out what to do with them.

It was worth it for the introductions of Bartolomeo and Cavendish imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I could never really get into One Piece. I'm not sure why except that I really, really, really disliked Luffy. I liked the rest of the cast but I just could not stand Luffy at all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TriffTshngo posted:

It was worth it for the introductions of Bartolomeo and Cavendish imo.

Fair enough but goddamn did he overload the whole thing. I think he's really trying to do too much at once right now. The fights are even in Bleach territory now where it's one set of people fighting for like three chapters then they switch to another for two and then back to the first set and then to a third set and back to the second and ugh just have Luffy punch the motherfucker already.

I don't think many mangaka inspired by Toriyama have been able to capture his ability to have a reasonably sized cast of characters and still tell a coherent, straight-forward narrative.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ImpAtom posted:

I could never really get into One Piece. I'm not sure why except that I really, really, really disliked Luffy. I liked the rest of the cast but I just could not stand Luffy at all.

Luffy is a slightly more excitable and spastic Goku. Who's made of rubber.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Luffy is a little annoying at the start but as the story goes on he develops a pretty strong core character. He's definitely not deep by any means but he's at least not 'just goku but dumber.'

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endorph posted:

Luffy is a little annoying at the start but as the story goes on he develops a pretty strong core character. He's definitely not deep by any means but he's at least not 'just goku but dumber.'

So I just need to beat up Crocodile, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Fair enough but goddamn did he overload the whole thing. I think he's really trying to do too much at once right now. The fights are even in Bleach territory now where it's one set of people fighting for like three chapters then they switch to another for two and then back to the first set and then to a third set and back to the second and ugh just have Luffy punch the motherfucker already.

I don't think many mangaka inspired by Toriyama have been able to capture his ability to have a reasonably sized cast of characters and still tell a coherent, straight-forward narrative.

I dropped out of One Piece after the Enis Lobby poo poo and recently tried to get back into it! There's about a million new characters and a bunch of forgettable poo poo with the Pirate Warlords and the Government actually being secretly the villains or some poo poo. Then they separate the entire cast and follow that up with a time skip. At some point I guess I just was away for too long and don't have the energy to try and catch up. Looking at the wiki I apparently exited at what is basically the halfway point.

gently caress, that was like 46 volumes. That's more than all of Dragon Ball + Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I have a hard time getting into a lot of other shounen anime. I think I just discovered DBZ at the right time for me. I tried to shotgun Naruto episodes, and made it up until he goes against a giant frog? (it's been a while), before I lost interest. It's like a 19 minute show, 6 of which are the credits, and 1-2 minutes of recap. It's a grueling slog.

Never got into One Piece even though I idly sometimes recognize the character other places and go consume the One Piece wiki. I guess that's weird.

• Locked thread