Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

CaptainPsyko posted:

I want detailed breakdowns of the percentage of respondents who thought the Fighter or Rogue were stronger than each of the other 11 classes.

100% of important respondents (those named Mike Mearls) believed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
On my computer the survey is broken, and wouldn't let me actually select which class is more powerful. So I had to cancel, lest I be forced to submit a survey saying fighters were more powerful than wizards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I am going to individually rate every feat in the game on your survey. Jesus.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I am sad I was not given a chance to rate Monk or Warlock, those two are the classes I actually liked a lot. At least I got to express my Very Dissatisfaction at the Fighter and Rogue though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah I am going to individually rate every feat in the game on your survey. Jesus.
Added bonus, the "additional comments" for the entire survey is tucked at the bottom of that page so if you have any closing thoughts, you better be aware that that's the first and last place to put them.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

They're paying money to run a survey that's not going to get them any useful information. "Is class X more powerful than class Y" ought to be less important to the designers than "is class X more fun to play than class Y". How useful, exactly, is it to ask people to rate every single class feature and every single feat from 1 to 5?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

gtrmp posted:

They're paying money to run a survey that's not going to get them any useful information. "Is class X more powerful than class Y" ought to be less important to the designers than "is class X more fun to play than class Y". How useful, exactly, is it to ask people to rate every single class feature and every single feat from 1 to 5?

Nothing loving changes, they've been doing that since playtest day 1. Literally, I remember being really pissed off that the first thing they asked was 'should our intrepid heroes face orcs or skeletons in the first youtube video' or some such poo poo.

What the gently caress difference does that make to how good a game they're designing.

This is no different. Consciously or not, they don't WANT useful feedback which might improve their design, they want to prove their design is good already. So they're never going to offer the questions that would really tell them if it's not. They're paying money to make their audience feel listened to, as much as anything else.

Plus, designing a good survey (like designing a good game, funny that) is HARD. I studied a ten week module on it during my last period of university, and barely scratched the surface.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You might as well answer BRING BACK LF to the survey for all the good it'll do

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

quote:

If you haven't read through/played all of these classes, or don't want to compare them this way, you can skip this series of questions

No you can't.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

thespaceinvader posted:

This is no different. Consciously or not, they don't WANT useful feedback which might improve their design, they want to prove their design is good already. So they're never going to offer the questions that would really tell them if it's not. They're paying money to make their audience feel listened to, as much as anything else.

I think the first line in the pre-survey text blurb where they declare D&D Next to be a resounding success proves that point. They want confirmation that they've, in fact, created the bestest version of dnd ever made. They don't want people pointing out that they pretty much just made edition 3.75 and haven't fixed a ton of problems that have been in the game for over a decade now.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Rannos22 posted:

edition 3.75

As a matter of course, I refrain from referring to anything as "3.75" since this is never used to describe a game that "starts with 3.5 and moves towards 4" as that number might imply.
I always called Pathfinder "3.5, Episode II" so I guess that makes Next "3.5, Episode III"

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

gtrmp posted:

The survey asked me my age and then that was it. :psyduck:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

quote:

edition 3.75

Dungeons & Dragons, Asymptote Edition.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I got all the way to the end of the survey but it said I was a Chaotic Evil Warlock and went on to describe my personality in three or four sentences. Anybody else getting this?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Payndz posted:

Dungeons & Dragons, Asymptote Edition.

DnD version 3.99 is just 4E Essentials with the word power completely erased.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I got all the way to the end of the survey but it said I was a Chaotic Evil Warlock and went on to describe my personality in three or four sentences. Anybody else getting this?

Mine said I was an intellect devourer inhabiting the body of a kender. I don't think their survey is statistically valid.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Okay I mostly just filled out the survey so I could remind them that they still don't have a Warlord class and that they should get on it immediately.

It's my lance I'll tilt it at windmills if I want to.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a +3 STR mod, what's my bonus to damage when holding a weapon two handed?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
+3

In theory, the selling point of two-handers is that they have a bigger damage die. There are some versatile weapons that get a bigger damage die when you wield them with one hand, but that's a property that's listed on the weapon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Two-handed is either a requirement, or for versatile bumps the damage dice up a step, it doesn't change the bonus.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thought so, couldn't find anything that says otherwise but wanted to make sure it wasn't x 1.5.

Cheers!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
This also seems to be why TWF only adds a mod to 1 of the attacks; light weapons cap out at 1d6, so you're looking at 2d6+Mod compared with 1d12+Mod or 2d6+Mod for two-handers.
Although multiple attacks messes up that math, but whatever.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

Although multiple attacks messes up that math, but whatever.

A formula? Who gives a gently caress about a formula?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I got asked whether I thought Fighter or Rogue was more powerful. That was a sad thing to consider.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I got asked whether I thought Fighter or Rogue was more powerful. That was a sad thing to consider.

The majority of the players at our Adventurers League nights are either Rangers or Rogues. More power to them, I guess. Every now and then, out of two tables of 5 to 7 players, someone will sit down with a druid or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Rogues at least get skills to play with and get some utility out of that iirc.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

Rogues at least get skills to play with and get some utility out of that iirc.

That's why I chose Rogue as "stronger". I also was asked to choose which was stronger between Wizard and Sorcerer. My choice will not surprise you.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
I called out the fact Paizo is eating their lunch and that instead of doing something good and making their own dinner, WotC would sooner make a poor retroclone in tyool 2014 and call the crumbs they are chasing good enough :getin:

I also laid out a laundry list of stupid poo poo or broken things or pure garbage lazy "ask your DM" drivel that they expect to be paid for.

But yes, druid or fighter? How about I rate every feat but the godly resist piercing one casters get, as it wasn't listed. :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose one bright spot in the survey is that Gender is an open text field.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It had a star though, was it mandatory?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
It was.

It would have been pretty awkward to include an M/F radio button or something, after they went all extra-inclusivity with the art and putting Zak S and Tarnowski as paid consultants in the credits including that one paragraph about gender in D&D.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone else put "Porpoise" in the gender field?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Everyone should have just put "goon" as their gender. It's what the G in LGBT stands for right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I vaguely recall a discussion in here about hitpoints and how warhammer (i think?) RPGs dealt with critical effects differently than D&D , does anyone have the links to that? Couldn't find it with search.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Omnicrom posted:

Rogues are not terrible power-wise. They have good numbers, and useful abilities. But they are very boring in combat unless the DM goes out of his way to always put a ton of things to interact with using Cunning Acton. I made a Rogue as my first character, and I definitely contributed to the group effort, I just did it in a more boring way than everyone else (there was no fighter in the group).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

mastershakeman posted:

I vaguely recall a discussion in here about hitpoints and how warhammer (i think?) RPGs dealt with critical effects differently than D&D , does anyone have the links to that? Couldn't find it with search.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e has cards you draw face-down when you take damage. If you take a critical, you flip one or more of the cards over and take the effect written on it. It was one of the mechanics I quite liked about that game.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

mastershakeman posted:

Not sure which edition of WFRP this pertains to, but since Gort covered 3e I'll explain 2e.

In WFRP 2e all characters have Wounds which is just a funny word for Hit Points. They generally have more of them than a first-level character in D&D, but you also gain much fewer of them throughout your career. Armor reduces damage, as does your character's Toughness

Above 0 Wounds you're okay. Once you drop to 0 Wounds each hit you take becomes a Critical Hit. You can never fall below zero Wounds, but any damage that goes beyond that threshold is used to determine the severity of the critical hit.

Once you've determined the severity of the critical you cross reference it on a chart with the hit location. A severity 1 crit on your head would be something like "You're dazed for a while," 10 or above would be instant decapitation.

I've seen WFRP style crit rules for D&D floating around the internet, but just can't remember the exact blogs I found them on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They're also pretty explicit about the fact that 'a couple bandages and a decent night's sleep' will start healing normal Wounds pretty quick even back in the Shitfarmer Fantasy Vietnam of WHFRP 2e, as they're intended to represent superficial damage, fatigue, etc. The threshold of injury you can take without any real negative effect. At 3 or fewer wounds, you'll be in bed a little while or need a good doctor to recover quick, but before then mundane healing will give you back like 1-10 Wounds (with starting PCs having an average of like 11 total) and you heal a Wound a day, more with rest and a doctor.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

WHFRP 3e also has extra critical effect cards from various supplement that can be shuffled into the main wound deck, with effects ranging from an infected wound to instantly losing a limb. But that's the kind of thing you don't just sneak up and drop on your players because they're way worse effects than normal.

But that game also has, effectively, 4 different types of damage you can take: physical damage, mental stress, physical strain, and corruption from chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Omnicrom posted:

Wow. It really is completely random.

I got asked to compare Fighter with Wizard.

Huh.