Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just got woken up (yeah, at noon. It's my day off motherfucker) by someone screaming and banging on my door, "CALL 911 A KID WAS JUST HIT OMGOMGOMG!" I'm all "yeah, whatever" and while putting pants on I habitually call in a 962. I finally pants myself and walk out to find... nothing. No stopped car, no people in the street, nothing.

Fucker was half a block down sitting on the grass with his girlfriend. Turns out he has psych issues and, while he did black out and fall conveniently into the single grassy patch in Phoenix, he's "fine now" and "doesn't want an ambulance." Bitch, I can't clear you, and fire is already on the way. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slow is Fast posted:

The cali earthquakes were bad enough as is
Your Walnut Creek won't survive his hammering!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

They reset your BIOS, that's a Power On Self Test.

I wish I could 'like' individual posts on here sometimes.

Also I have a job interview with an awesome company next Wednesday and I really want it and oh please save me from the hell of incompetence and indifference I'm mired in at my current place please please please please please. :ohdear:

It's the only job interview I've had where I'm worried it's going to sound like I'm begging, but I'm really ready to get out of my current gig.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Liquid Communism posted:

It's mostly an issue in mega-agcorp owned factory farms these days, as they want a repeatable formula for making a product that has minimal variables, and a hangar packed with chickens at one per 8 inch square of floor with minimal ventilation and light creates a repeatable result in any environment.

Usually a bad result with minimal or no profit.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4788757699.html

My next car is going to wind up being some kind of crazy thing like this

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

jammyozzy posted:

Also I have a job interview with an awesome company next Wednesday and I really want it and oh please save me from the hell of incompetence and indifference I'm mired in at my current place please please please please please. :ohdear:

It's the only job interview I've had where I'm worried it's going to sound like I'm begging, but I'm really ready to get out of my current gig.
I'm headed to my first ever proper interview for what's pretty much my dream job on Monday. I've been coaching myself on resisting the urge to grovel.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Heh.

Here's some things I really appreciate as someone who conducts way too many interviews which may or may not be super obvious to some people.

1) Relax and smile. I know it's terrifying but forcing yourself to slow down your emotions is really going to improve the quality of your interview conversation.
2) Don't ever feel bad about taking a bit of a pause to answer something. Don't rush it. I'd much rather wait for the interviewee while they come up with something I want to hear. It's not a race.
3) If you smoke, don't. It permeates a room and hella distracting.
4) If they ask for a copy of your resume during the interview don't be that guy with a USB flash drive or a link to something. Be a normal person and have a paper copy.
5) I tell people during interview feedback sessions to really think about those stock questions everyone hates (eg where do you see yourself in 5 years? how to you manage multiple tasks? how do you manage conflict?) for two reasons: We do actually care about those things, they aren't always filler and know that you're one of like 10 interviews that person has done that day so you can probably guess how the other 9 people answered it....middle of the road and boring. Separate yourself. Answer it with life/career stories that are applicable and interesting to listen to. Anything to make me remember your name instead of interview #8 that happened at 2:30 PM.
6) Be excited about yourself. If you aren't excited about who you are or what you can bring to the table I can guarantee I wont give a poo poo.
7) Bathe. For the love of god, bathe. How do people not get this?

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 27, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Where do you live/work where they still allow smoking indoors?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
He means before an interview

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

He means before an interview

Ah, makes sense. Back when I smoked, I made sure wherever I was smoking was ventilated and didn't smoke inside the house, but I've known a few people whose clothes smelled like they'd slept inside a burning building because they couldn't resist permeating every object they owned with tobacco smoke.

From the way he phrased it, I was picturing some jerk sitting in front of the interviewer's desk and puffin' out big smoke rings right in the guy's face or some crazy poo poo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, meant before hand. :)

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ah, makes sense. Back when I smoked, I made sure wherever I was smoking was ventilated and didn't smoke inside the house, but I've known a few people whose clothes smelled like they'd slept inside a burning building because they couldn't resist permeating every object they owned with tobacco smoke.

From the way he phrased it, I was picturing some jerk sitting in front of the interviewer's desk and puffin' out big smoke rings right in the guy's face or some crazy poo poo.

Haha like 1940 style, I would hire that guy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Only if he smokes cigars, though.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

InitialDave posted:

Only if he smokes cigars, though.

Obviously, or bonus points for a pipe!

piss boner
May 17, 2003

:siren: :yotj: post :siren:

Been applying for a ton of gov jobs in IT the past year, pretty attractive when I can buy back my military years towards retirement and double my annual vacation time. 30 days annual vacation plus 13 days sick leave annual? poo poo yeah. Applying anywhere and everywhere. Wichita? Ann Arbor? North Dakota, population 300? Fuckit, why not, at least I can practice up on interviewing.

Interviewed for a spot in Cincinnati, nailed the tech portion except for some obscure Ricoh printer error, "we'll let you know either way by Friday". That was four months ago. :shrug:

Interviewed last month over the phone for a job 500+ miles away. Again, nailed the tech portion. And then came the scenario crap.
:j: How would you handle a situation where you had four different users who needed your help at once?
:v: I would prioritize according to local policy, there is a written procedure on prioritization, correct?.
:j: And how would you react if one was especially vocal?
:v: I would tell them to stop being a child and they will be taken care of according to policy.
:j: Okay, tell us about a situation that was extremely stressful and how you handled it.
:v: I used to fly repair missions in Iraq, there aren't any stressful situations in the United States.
:j: Okay, tell us what other coworks have told you about your work ethic.
:v: I don't like that question. How do you answer that? Do people actually say things like that to each other? I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would talk like that about another coworker in real life. I really don't like that question.
:j: <sound>10_seconds_of_silence.mp3</sound>
:v: Hello?
:j: Yes, we're here.
That was the jist of it at least. Didn't last much longer after that. Overall, didn't really take it seriously.

Had a few other interviews the same month, did pretty well I thought. Was beginning to become really relaxed, caught myself a few times being too relaxed and familiar with the interviewers. Oh well, good practice.

A few weeks later, received an email for that scenario interview that I had last month. The one where I didn't take the questions seriously. They had an offer. :jebstare:

Then a few hours later, another job offer. Middle of nowhere, Alabama. Didn't even interview for this. Please respond to this email if you would consider taking this position 30 days or less. Signed, random.name@navy.mil. Very official and matched what was listed in usajobs.gov. No interview. So I called random.name's phone from email signature.
:j: Yes, that's correct, we would like to offer the job to you, are you prepared to accept it at this time?
:stare: I'll let you know, k?

:derp:

I took the offer with the most pay and it mirrors almost exactly what I currently earn. Start in a few weeks. My new boss seems cool as poo poo and how he describes it should be a very sweet deal, so I am more than excited. It's middle of nowhere in the South. :banjo: At least the climate should be very similar to what I have currently.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

rscott posted:

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/4788757699.html

My next car is going to wind up being some kind of crazy thing like this

I've been watching a lot of Miami Vice, and poo poo like this pops up in pretty much every episode. I want an old Merc so bad now.

Question for VW guys: My dad's friend is looking at one of his friends 2001 Golf GLI that had snapped the timing chain while idling in a drive-through line. Car has 180k miles on the clock and is a manual transmission and he was shown the quote from the shop that they took it to, and obviously it needs headwork (he wasn't specific) and I asked about valves and he told me the quote didn't say anything about bent valves at all. The head is currently off of the car. The owners are trying to offload it for $1,200. I personally would run away, but I told him I'd look into it and see if it's worth his time. So, is it worth his time? Or should he run away too?

Edit: Probably should have asked him what engine is in it. :doh:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'd be suspicious of a snapped timing chain. Does that even happen? I guess VW can make anything fail. That price sounds like about double what you should pay for a rolling chassis with a blown motor, IMO, unless you gotta have that specific car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raluek posted:

I'd be suspicious of a snapped timing chain. Does that even happen? I guess VW can make anything fail. That price sounds like about double what you should pay for a rolling chassis with a blown motor, IMO, unless you gotta have that specific car.

I'd say it's more a broken timing belt, which is fantastically common with VWs of that era, especially 1.8Ts. Not a tough repair, especially since you can buy loaded heads ready to bolt up. Now, whether you want a 14 year old VW with almost 200k miles is another question...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

T-Square posted:

I've been watching a lot of Miami Vice, and poo poo like this pops up in pretty much every episode. I want an old Merc so bad now.

Question for VW guys: My dad's friend is looking at one of his friends 2001 Golf GLI that had snapped the timing chain while idling in a drive-through line. Car has 180k miles on the clock and is a manual transmission and he was shown the quote from the shop that they took it to, and obviously it needs headwork (he wasn't specific) and I asked about valves and he told me the quote didn't say anything about bent valves at all. The head is currently off of the car. The owners are trying to offload it for $1,200. I personally would run away, but I told him I'd look into it and see if it's worth his time. So, is it worth his time? Or should he run away too?

Edit: Probably should have asked him what engine is in it. :doh:

I paid $500 for a 01 VR6 with broken chain guides. Never again. I was able to fix it for $1k and flipped it for $4k though. I usually tell friends who ask similar questions, what's the point of buying a $1k car, putting $1k into it, just to have a car that’s worth $2500?

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 28, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

If its a VR6 it would be a chain, they never made a Golf GLI so Im assuming its a GTI which would have the VR.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
The single best interview advice I got, was to practice adapting the same scenario to different behavior questions. This strategy works well as rather than having one stock answer for many question, you really only need five to six scenarios to get you through multiple interviews.

As a mediocre example. During my undergrad while working on a project with two other people, one member of the group flaked and basically disappeared and had contributed nothing. My other classmate was pissed, even more so because we had a second project that was due at the same time and the third
Member of that three person group, who was a different person than the one in the other group also flaked. So to resolve the issues, I broke up the tasks between us, set deadlines, and set a time when we would talk with the professors of each respective classes after multiple attempts to contact the team members failed. I could tell this single situation as a way I resolved a conflict, a way I showed leadership, or as a way which I went the extra mile as I took on extra tasks. Really the difference is between which parts I emphasize over others.

Second best was to use glassdoor to look at other peoples comments on interviewing as well as example interview questions.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Heads up for any NYC goons who like cars and drinking - Blipshift / Japlopnik /DRIVE are hosting a free open bar (from 6-7pm at least) happy hour this Friday on the Lower East Side. I wanna go but can't make it :saddowns: You have to register, but (as of right now) there are currently over 200 spots available. Figured I'd share in case any of you lot might be interested.

e: no affiliation, etc.

quote:

It's January. It might be a little late for Festivus, but it could still be the perfect time to air your grievances.

Your bs tee have a hanging thread? Still ranting about /DRIVE+? Did Kinja just wipe 30 minutes of writing from existence? Now is your chance to look at the offending party directly in the eye and speak your mind. No punches though, just vigorous thumb wrestling.

Of course, you don't need to be hater to join in the fun. Hang out with your favorite Jalop writers/editors, /DRIVE producers and the knuckleheads from blipshift. Free drinks will be o' plenty during the open bar part of the night, 6:00 - 7:00 pm (seriously, the drinks are free). After that, your half buzzed self won't have much of a problem pulling out your wallet for frothdog drink specials. Now the $800 Uber ride back to Philly? That's all on you. Register to get your name on the list.

Cheers!

~ Your favorite friends at blipshift, /DRIVE and Jalopnik

FAQ

Are there ID requirements or an age limit to come party?

Yes. You must be 21+ to attend. No exceptions. Play /DRIVE on a loop and leave your little siblings at home.

What are my parking options for the party?

You'll have to do the George Costanza and drive in concentric circles. Sorry, there is no reserved parking. If you really want to show off your sweet ride and willing to subject it to the perils of the Lower East Side, email a photo to events@blipshift.com and you might get one of our coveted parking spots in front of the DL.

What do I need to know about the event?

You can wear your favorite blipshift tee. It won't feel so awkward wearing the same shirt as the dude next to you after a few beers. There might be prizes.

How can I contact the organizer with any questions?

events@blipshift.com

Is my registration transferable?

It's free - tell all your slacker buddies to register in advance.

Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?

Show us the confirmation email on your smartphone and you're all set. If you have a phone with a low IQ, print the confirmation email and shove it into your pocket before you head to the party.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Raluek posted:

meatpimp posted:

I'd say it's more a broken timing belt, which is fantastically common with VWs of that era, especially 1.8Ts. Not a tough repair, especially since you can buy loaded heads ready to bolt up. Now, whether you want a 14 year old VW with almost 200k miles is another question...

the spyder posted:

I paid $500 for a 01 VR6 with broken chain guides. Never again. I was able to fix it for $1k and flipped it for $4k though. I usually tell friends who ask similar questions, what's the point of buying a $1k car, putting $1k into it, just to have a car that’s worth $2500?

Fart Pipe posted:

If its a VR6 it would be a chain, they never made a Golf GLI so Im assuming its a GTI which would have the VR.

About what I figured. Also shows what I know about VWs, ha. I could really care less what he wants to do with it as I see him about once a year, and I sure as hell don't plan on touching it. Thanks guys!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cat Terrist posted:

Usually a bad result with minimal or no profit.

For the producer. Vertical integration means Tyson et all don't give a drat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

4) If they ask for a copy of your resume during the interview don't be that guy with a USB flash drive or a link to something. Be a normal person and have a paper copy.

Adding to #3, for the love of loving god, don't come in smelling like Bob Marley's rear end in a top hat. This goes even once you're hired. We had a driver walk in last night who instantly made the entire store REEK of weed.

:2bong: You can smell that?
:science: Dude, we could smell it all the way up front the moment you walked in the back door. YES YOU loving REEK OF WEED
:2bong: But I smoked a cigarette afterwards!
:science: And you just smoked a gram to yourself in a closed up car.

For #4 - I always bring at least 5 current copies of my resume with me - there's always the chance something has been updated since I applied (sometimes it's a few months before I get a call back, and I may have moved, may have chosen different references, etc), and I'd rather every person in the room have a copy handy to refer to - including myself. I also bring at least 5 copies of my page with references, certifications, etc. I always assume it's going to be a group interview.

Liquid Communism posted:

STR, you know it's like, absurdly easy to get cheese made in reputable dairies that treat their milch cows like the pampered moneymakers they are, right? Cheese can be relatively guilt free from a cruelty standpoint if you don't mind the price difference.

I worked for Whole Foods for nearly 4 years. Yeah, definitely know where to get guilt free cheese. But the price can be pretty :stonk:. I really need to start shopping there again though... the meats and cheeses are awesome.

Terrible Robot posted:

The tech confirmed what I had always suspected though: my neighbors and I all share one line, and the tech said usually each house would have their own dedicated line but CenturyLink was feeling lazy. So none of us are getting the speeds that we are paying out the nose for. gently caress CenturyLink so much.

They're well known to be a lovely ISP, but your neighbors will all share the same connection - it's just capped, and the model is built on the assumption that every single person on that slice of bandwidth isn't going to saturate their connection all at the same time. Remember when DSL and cable internet were first becoming a thing, and how people always bitched about connections crawling to a stop during peak hours?

It's not just DSL - cable and even fiber are like that. It just depends how badly they've oversold the connection in the neighborhood. If the tech was able to fix it via wiring, he likely swapped you to a different pair of wires going to the house, or swapped out some parts or changed up wiring at the CO (central office).

ssjonizuka posted:

don't think that one is in their list, but even the m series mobile mice are good too, for dirt cheap/disposable mice. One is at the office and sees regular use (well, used to. I haven't been to the office in about 2 weeks now), the other lives in my bag for the rare moments I work from someplace that isn't home.

There's three working M510's in the house. I've had two die, but both were refurbs. The ones I've bought new have given zero issues whatsoever, and for :20bux: can't be beat.

fjelltorsk posted:

Woke up from surgery two hours ago, my mom had brought my kids to the room i was recovering in and they where in there when i woke up... on a bed with no cover, in a short gown.....

with the most misplaced erection ever.

Thanks mom

"And kids, THIS is what men commonly call refer to as their 'fuckstick' or 'baby maker'. That concludes today's lesson in the birds and the bees, I'll let your father explain the rest."

(glad the surgery went well)

PaintVagrant posted:

THIS ERECTION WILL NOT GO QUIET INTO THE NIGH- "hi kids"

(I am rooting for you buddy!)

I think he's the one ready to do the rooting. :quagmire:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

some texas redneck posted:

Adding to #3, for the love of loving god, don't come in smelling like Bob Marley's rear end in a top hat. This goes even once you're hired. We had a driver walk in last night who instantly made the entire store REEK of weed.

:2bong: You can smell that?
:science: Dude, we could smell it all the way up front the moment you walked in the back door. YES YOU loving REEK OF WEED
:2bong: But I smoked a cigarette afterwards!
:science: And you just smoked a gram to yourself in a closed up car.

This is even more important if you're going to court. Especially if it is for a MJ DUI.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

leica posted:

Yeah I kinda feel like it's my fault for asking for the story behind the WRX issues.

Sorry Goatse Guy :(

No worries. Motronic did give me some helpful advice to get rid of the car if it comes down to that, but the rest of the advice either assumed that I was a criminal or completely retarded.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Motronic is always full of good advice.

Also, I found a cheap mustang gt. Needs some interior love but I'm thinking gut the fucker.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

goatse guy posted:

No worries. Motronic did give me some helpful advice to get rid of the car if it comes down to that, but the rest of the advice either assumed that I was a criminal or completely retarded.

To be fair some of it assumed you're criminally retarded.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cakefool posted:

criminally retarded.

What does that even mean?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Criminals do retarded poo poo?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're so retarded it's criminal?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I didn't know they still had laws against that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

loving hell. A store manager slot popped up in my Monster feed, for a gas station (Murphy USA, typically connected to Wal-Mart and Sam's Clubs).

The application had poo poo like "if Paula stole 4 apples and 1 peach from Jim, who had 9 apples and 5 peaches, and Jim took so many apples and peaches from the store, and someone else took up 2 parking spaces, how many peaches and apples would Jim have left?"

What the christ, it's an application for a manager of a lovely gas station with a "store" about the size of a cardboard box. I promptly forgot all that poo poo once I took my SATs... 20 years ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 28, 2015

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

goatse guy posted:

Well, and if it all goes to poo poo, you can just park it in his storage unit, and slowly poison him wait for him to die, that way you'll have a project/fun car in a couple of years.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

I think we all know and/or work with people who demonstrate that
1) They probably don't.
2) They probably should.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was just trying to make a funny word joke guys :negative:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
YAY! I applied for a new job at my old hospital to start an Emergency Department clinical Pharmacy program. The director says it's mine but I have to be sure they will pay me for the extra work and make the commute worth it again. I also hate to leave my current pediatric gig at the university, it is pretty interesting and they do a lot cool poo poo.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jamal posted:

Texas does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phone ringing at 3am is never good.

e: nvm, probably shouldn't leave the rest of that public.

e2: go home weather, not only are you drunk, you're high on some ghetto rear end crack.

It's been cold enough that I've had to wear an actual coat twice this winter. WHERE'S THE GODDAMNED SNOW AND ICE AND poo poo

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 28, 2015

• Locked thread