Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Bryan versus Triple H? That's a money match. So good they should do it twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

triplexpac posted:

Whatever you think about the current booking, it's insane that I can pay $20 a month and get every WWE PPV and NJPW PPV, as well as all the archives.

I don't think that's ever going to stop blowing my mind. I used to pay like $20 just for a single DVD set of a guy's best matches, now I can just load up pretty much whatever I want at any time.

It's insane that we are literally 5 years from having to do tape traders for any puro and DVDs of Indies were $20 a pop.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yuriy posted:

has bryan ever wrestled HHH because that would be kinda sweet and id give more of a poo poo about that than sting/hhh or whatever theyre building to

nah, HHH lost a career match and isn't on the active roster. They'd never put him in a match now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Red posted:

I just don't understand why they hate money. The guy moved t-shirts, why make him an unshaven clown?

Because only one person is allowed to get over a decade, and this decade's lottery winner is John Cena Roman Reigns.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

fatherdog posted:

I like watching Seamus matches, especially when he gets into hoss-offs with other stiff-working dudes (he had some cool matches with Cesaro) it's just hard to care about him because in the entirety of the time I've been watching he's never been in a memorable angle or possibly an angle at all as far as I can tell. If he actually had an interesting feud with somebody I would probably get psyched for it a bit until it inevitably descended into midcard back-and-forth.

Man I'm trying to think of the last storyline Sheamus had since I started watching again (TLC 2012) and I want to say it was a feud with Sandow that happened solely on Smackdown, way back for Payback 2013, and even then it was the preshow match.

His feud with Christian I guess pre WM 30 but that was such a wet feud that just so happened to have awesome matches.

Aside from those only storylines he's had are the ones where he's involved with the main event angle at the time (MitB, Survivor Series tag match, Elimination Chamber).

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 27, 2015

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Marquis de Pyro posted:

1 million is still way below what it was supposed to be and I bet a bunch of people will cancel and they'll freak the gently caress out right after Mania, which is exactly what happened last year

I think 1 million in the first year was the stated target.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Man I'm trying to think of the last storyline Sheamus had since I started watching again (TLC 2012) and I want to say it was a feud with Sandow that happened solely on Smackdown, way back for Payback 2013, and even then it was the preshow match.
They had a feud where Sheamus bullied him which has been Sheamus character for like three years now, squeaky clean babyface who bullies heels

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

My name is Vince McMahon. I have been in the sports entertainment business close to 40 years and I can't wait to see the return of Sheamus.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I genuinely wonder how the Miz feels about seeing Damien Sandow mimic his moveset and having it look so much better than when he does it.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Fiveace Attorney posted:

They had a feud where Sheamus bullied him which has been Sheamus character for like three years now, squeaky clean babyface who bullies heels

That feud was pretty good though, Sheamus kicked a computer, and it ended with Sheamus beating Sandow with potatoes.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Blasmeister posted:

1.25, actually. I expect they'll hit it for Mania.

Then, what after?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe this is just to build Sheamus as a guy who Prince Devitt rides to the ring.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
I can only remember 4 things Sheamus has done in his career. he won the title when John Cena put himself through a table, he had matches with John Morrison, he wore a horned crown and a cape for a while, and 18 seconds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I cancelled my subscription to Shave Sheltzer's rag of lies.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Blasmeister posted:

1 million was the break-even number if I remember right. Making back your investment within the first year of a risky business venture seems pretty good to me but I don't know poo poo about business.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe this is just to build Sheamus as a guy who Prince Devitt rides to the ring.

And I looked and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Finn

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Omally posted:

I can only remember 4 things Sheamus has done in his career. he won the title when John Cena put himself through a table, he had matches with John Morrison, he wore a horned crown and a cape for a while, and 18 seconds.

He also feuded with Alberto del Rio forever but that's worth forgetting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Omally posted:

I remember more things about Sheamus' appearances on Conan than I do about his RAW appearances. And I like the guy.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This isn't a WWE question but I don't even care: Is NJPW going to do more events with English commentary?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

The Landstander posted:

He also feuded with Alberto del Rio forever but that's worth forgetting.

somebody please post that picture of del rio getting madder and madder

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

They do it in tournaments (although not so much in this year's G-1) and will do it with outsiders sometimes. They work much more in a guy gets push, wins a lot until push ends, then guy loses a few matches to set up another guy. If a main event player loses a match that seems odd it will usually set up something in a few months.

If a guy's getting built up for a title shot it's pretty common to see whoever he beat to build him up get their win back on him a couple months later also.

You do get some pretty questionable booking of undercard guys though. Just in this past year Shibata was set up to win the New Japan Cup then loses to loving Shelton Benjamin of all people and Bad Luck Fale who nobody cares about ends up winning. Ishii was built up big with his NEVER title run but then kinda floundered as he lost the title, won it back, then lost it again and also failed to get a big G-1 win. Honma got some incredible crowd responses as the lovable loser and then when he finally gets his "big win" it's in a total nothing tag match. I think all three of those guys are less over now than they were at points in the past year.

In fact I would say 'parity booking' of everyone underneath the top 3 guys and title holders is pretty common. That's still leagues ahead of WWE though.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 27, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Red posted:

WWE has enough comedy characters, and they're rarely actually funny. Besides which, don't serious characters draw more business?

I don't get why every face in the company who gets over has to transform into someone who makes corny jokes all the time. It's like once they find something cool it has to be transformed into what a 69-year old grandfather thinks is cool. I'd say the same thing about Reigns. If they had just kept him as some quiet badass who comes to the ring, kicks rear end, and then leaves, he'd probably have a lot more support.

Basically I wish WWE could have different types of faces in the company besides goofball.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blasmeister posted:

It was, they revised it to 700,000 after the cutbacks. If they can maintain 1,000,000 they'll be profitable this year.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Umbra Dubium posted:

It is an established rule that you are also eliminated if you don't make it into the ring before the next number comes out.

Sorry.

Jastiger posted:

Did not know that

many pages back but this is not true

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 27, 2015

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the established rules of the royal rumble are whatever wwe wants them to be on any particular year to better serve their angles and storylines

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Aren't all the rules just made up and changed regularly? In the 90's someone who was eliminated couldn't eliminate someone from the Rumble. But now that can and does happen regularly.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

this is true. last year we saw someone get dq'd in a tag match for hitting a big boot.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

The rules for the Rumble are pointless other than you have to go over the top rope and hit the floor with both feet. You could technically low blow people and use garbage and your buddies to win but for some reason people just have mostly the same style match every year

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Remember, no closed fists.

BIG SHOW WITH THE KO PUNCH

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
The most ridiculous Royal Rumble-specific rule was that one year where Finlay got eliminated for using a weapon. Definitely a long way away from Terry Funk entering the ring with a chainsaw.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fiveace Attorney posted:

The rules for the Rumble are pointless other than you have to go over the top rope and hit the floor with both feet. You could technically low blow people and use garbage and your buddies to win but no one does

HE'S TRYING TO LIFT THE UNDERTAKER

God the '92 Rumble owns

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I could've sworn a ref botched a tag-in during the New Day/Cesaro and Kidd match. He saw it, called it out, but kept going because (I think it was) Kofi was already way ahead of him.

So yeah. Rules get changed up or ignored regularly, even during a match.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Fiveace Attorney posted:

The rules for the Rumble are pointless other than you have to go over the top rope and hit the floor with both feet.

Macho Man did that and was allowed back in because he wasn't supposed to be eliminated yet.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

HE'S TRYING TO LIFT THE UNDERTAKER

God the '92 Rumble owns
I keep referencing it and I can't help it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Didn't Al Snow get DQ'd from a rumble for coming out too early once?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

projecthalaxy posted:

Nah, the refs just held him back until the countdown ended and his number came up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alakaiser posted:

The most ridiculous Royal Rumble-specific rule was that one year where Finlay got eliminated for using a weapon. Definitely a long way away from Terry Funk entering the ring with a chainsaw.

Hey hey hey. Cactus Jack already brought chairs to the ring.

Besides, what else would Chainsaw Charlie bring to a ring?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Technically Finlay was DQ'd for coming out too early and not for using the shillelagh.

The real issue from that Rumble was that Hornswoggle was not thrown over the top rope and was somehow eliminated. :colbert:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sheamus was awesome in that Money in the Bank match where I think RVD potatoed him, so he grabbed a ladder and went on a loving rampage until Punk finally took him down with a ladder senton. Then Punk took a bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Omally posted:

Who ate all the pies?!

• Locked thread