Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Orange Android 19 player in me smiles when an Orange deck is a good deck in the meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Currently having a time trying to clean up my Blue God Goku build. I'm torn between a few things. Namely, which attacks make the cut. Like I like the utility Blue Neck Beams bring, but I also like the fact that Blue Arm Blast hits for 5 and can double as a block because of the additional text. Also, I like the idea of Dragon Balls with Blue Reprimand so I can juggle like DB7 and set hands up for when I am against Ginyu or any orange build.

Absolutely keep Neck Beam. It's a little less essential now that Namekian has been knocked down a peg, but running Neck Beam means you just don't have to care about anger at all and it provides a lot of control (ie knocking a Piccolo Orange deck off level 2). Arm Blast is a lot less useful in the current meta because physical decks just aren't that common right now. Obviously that changes based on your locals, but if I was talking about what I expected to see make top cut at a major, I think, at most, you'd see a handful of physical blue Ginyu decks and nothing else of the sort. H&V may change that, who knows. Reprimand is a super cute and super pro card that has a million hilarious uses, but I think it also lends itself to dream combos that won't necessarily happen. Still worth keeping, though. Of the three I'd probably cut Arm Blast, but Reprimand is probably next on the chopping block once H&V comes out.

Star Man posted:

The Orange Android 19 player in me smiles when an Orange deck is a good deck in the meta.

Back in my scrubbiest days I beat the 2004 world champ with a really, really lovely Black Krillin deck, so by all accounts I should be on cloud loving nine right now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Man, I never got to make a Cell Saga blue Krillin deck. It would have been rendered useless by World Games or Buu Saga, but it would have been sweet.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

We had the best idea for a Weiss set tonight; Fist of the North Star. It can even include lv4 cards for the other sets that are only useable against a FotNS deck, since you're already dead :v:

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
My only real impression of Weiss Schwarz is the guy who plays it while wearing a dog onesie that has a butthole sewed onto it it in a game store with children in it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's pretty annoying how high the price of English Weiss is to be honest, relative to the jp costs. I've been messing around with Red/Blue Daybreak Illusion lately in any case, it's a pretty cool set. Girlfriend Beta has some really funny stuff in it too, might end up going in on that at some point.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I find that almost all my decks end up being red/blue, it's like Bushiroad know what characters I like and put them in the same familiar place so they're easy to find :3:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HiveCommander posted:

We had the best idea for a Weiss set tonight; Fist of the North Star. It can even include lv4 cards for the other sets that are only useable against a FotNS deck, since you're already dead :v:

The best Weiss set would be Punpun, actually.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
e: out of date info

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 3, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I went 1-2 with Namekian Gohan. I just couldn't get angry enough.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I didn't think the DBZ CCG was still going prior to seeing it talked up in this thread, I haven't seen anything about it since primary school. I remember the silly attacks like Red Face Slap sounding very underwhelming compared to everything seen in the anime.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It isn't "still going," it rebooted less than a year ago. The game was dead and gone for the better part of a decade.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That makes more sense, and explains why I haven't seen it in about as long :downs:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It actually had a bizarre zombie life called "Retro DBZ" that started up around 3-4 years ago, where basically a part of the community took it upon themselves to make "fan sets" that had a few cards and rebalance the game, even to the point of running tournaments at GenCon. It was bad, but it did keep the game alive and likely was at least partially responsible for Panini giving the go ahead with the new game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
gently caress that website, no matter what good it may have done in making Panini DBZ a possibility.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

gently caress that website, no matter what good it may have done in making Panini DBZ a possibility.
What was so wrong with it?

GlisteningDragon
Feb 20, 2010

taser rates posted:

It's pretty annoying how high the price of English Weiss is to be honest, relative to the jp costs. I've been messing around with Red/Blue Daybreak Illusion lately in any case, it's a pretty cool set. Girlfriend Beta has some really funny stuff in it too, might end up going in on that at some point.

Everyone says this, but I really don't see this. If you buy singles from people in the Facebook groups and sites that price of YYT it really isn't a problem.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bowmore posted:

What was so wrong with it?

The community itself was sorta weird but relatively benign (Joshman in particular had a habit of being really self-congratulatory). But the game itself just had a lot of problems. They went out of their way to make anger, dragon ball, and most of the "secondary" win conditions like Dragon's Victory unviable in favor of beatdown for "lore reasons" even though we're loving 25-30+ year olds now and lol @ caring about the lore of a shonen anime. The new cards were also really stupid, like a Ginyu personality who could fish specific new allies from your sensei deck for a turn to preform their ability, many of which were incredibly stupid, and have them retreat back to your sensei deck making it practically impossible for your opponent to remove them. Their heart was in the right place, but it was basically a game designed by Ideas Guys that had no sense of self-awareness.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
After buying a box of boosters and starters for DBZ at launch, i finally got my first game in at the FLGS on saturday. We managed to draw a pretty big crowd around us and sparked a lot of interest in the game. I am trying to talk the owners of the shop to getting a box of starters and boosters so we can help get the community going. It is hard to get people interested in a game when you have to tell them to go buy their stuff online.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

jhorphear posted:

After buying a box of boosters and starters for DBZ at launch, i finally got my first game in at the FLGS on saturday. We managed to draw a pretty big crowd around us and sparked a lot of interest in the game. I am trying to talk the owners of the shop to getting a box of starters and boosters so we can help get the community going. It is hard to get people interested in a game when you have to tell them to go buy their stuff online.

Long shot: are you in Austin? I was in a Magic tournament on Saturday and there was a group of people I hadn't seen before playing DBZ.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

it is posted:

Long shot: are you in Austin? I was in a Magic tournament on Saturday and there was a group of people I hadn't seen before playing DBZ.

No, im in Redding, CA. But i did end up skipping play testing standard to play some DBZ. Bitch is i have regionals and store championships to prepare for. lol.

GlisteningDragon
Feb 20, 2010

jhorphear posted:

We had this problem at a LGS with Weiss Schwarz. We had a demo day scheduled with them, got a few people interested and basically had to tell them to buy it online because the store refused to stock it because "it was too expensive to order". Spoilers: it isn't. Turns out the store started ordering it a month later.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GlisteningDragon posted:

We had this problem at a LGS with Weiss Schwarz. We had a demo day scheduled with them, got a few people interested and basically had to tell them to buy it online because the store refused to stock it because "it was too expensive to order". Spoilers: it isn't. Turns out the store started ordering it a month later.

To be (somewhat) fair, my FLGS's distributor charged them a ton to get their Weiss Schwartz stuff. They ended up charging us more for it, which no one was particularly happy about, but most of us were just pleased to be getting the stuff and having somewhere to play. I think they're working on getting WS through Bushiroad's official distributor now, so hopefully it will be cheaper for everyone.

GlisteningDragon
Feb 20, 2010

Taran_Wanderer posted:

To be (somewhat) fair, my FLGS's distributor charged them a ton to get their Weiss Schwartz stuff. They ended up charging us more for it, which no one was particularly happy about, but most of us were just pleased to be getting the stuff and having somewhere to play. I think they're working on getting WS through Bushiroad's official distributor now, so hopefully it will be cheaper for everyone.

This could have been the case for this store. What baffles the playgroup is why the suddenly bought a ton of product after repeatedly telling us this. Maybe they switched distributors.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I learned two things over the weekend playing Panini DBZ. One is using a token to keep track of whose turn it is because combat can get screwy enough that you can forget who declared combat. The other is using a ten-sided die to keep track of how many power stages a personality has.

Both things that never, ever occurred to us to use in my playgroup in Wyoming during the Score days. We'd usually use our Mastery card or a booster pack insert of the physical attack table in place of the scouters provided in starter decks. Though I think that was the norm too for other groups since the GT scouters included the PAT. But when you have a ton of allies, things definitely got out of hand by using a card for each one. But we also played on top of washing machines and other household appliances, so there was hardly ever any room for much.

But the turn token thing....just god drat that's brilliant. I'm also the odd duck and say, "I'll declare combat," instead of, "I'll bring us in(to combat)."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Using dice to track power levels is definitely the right thing to do, especially if you're playing at any sort of money event; I can't tell you how many times I've heard stories of people who "gained" stages when something bumped his scouter or mastery and he had to readjust it. Dice make that much more difficult and blatant.

And "I declare combat" is the pro option.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think the reason the use of dice never occurred to us was because they just weren't available. Using dice to keep track of anger was pretty common, but getting dice with more than six faces required ordering it in or knowing where to find them while out on a shopping trip to Casper.

I think saying, "I declare combat," was something we pulled out of the rule book and any cards that said, "when you declare combat." The phrase stuck with me during my five years of Magic.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should share with all of you where I used to play card games.

Way back in the 90s, there was a place in my hometown in Wyoming called FanAttic. It was a downtown store that sold sports memorabilia, baseball cards, Magic, war gaming stuff, and had some arcade games and pool tables. A neat place to go when you were too young to go to the bar and blow your allowance or paper route money. In 1999, an English professor at the community college opened up a little store that sold mosly Pokémon stuff and was the place to go for that. Eventually, they took over FanAttic and everything coalesced into one place.

And it was good.

In the spring of 2002, the store owner decided that he didn't like paying the rent for the building and moved it down the street to a place that used to be a pet store. It was really tiny, but we made do, even though it also meant that nearly all of the things we liked about FanAttic were gone, like the arcade games. Then, the English professor that ran the whole thing decided that he wanted to get his PhD. out of state and sold the business.

The buyer of the business was the son of the owner of a home appliance store on the same block, a place called Stewart's. The owner, Carl Stewart, had been a home appliance seller and repairman in town for many years. While his son, Ken, worked for the family business, he also used the location to sell merchandise for two of his hobbies: car audio and paintball. He and his four kids also liked playing card games, so they incorporated that into their wing. While it meant that those of us had a place to play still and get DBZ, Magic, and other stuff, it also came with playing at a place even worse than the old pet store. There was a room in the back that was just big enough for a couple of tables, but there was always too many people to fit everyone inside comfortably. For the overflow, that meant the only other playing spaces where one corner that a table could be squeezed into or on top of washing machines and driers.

And it sucked. Royally.

Eventually I got fed up with the place and quit going about a month into GT's Baby Saga, dropped the game, blew the money I was making in my senior of high school on music at the record store in town, gas, and junk food, and only returned when I picked up Magic in 2008 for a few weekends and then quit going. The whole store shut down because the owner, Carl, was caught molesting the kids he was taking in as a foster parent and everything went up in flames. And I am still to this day humbled by the fact that I don't have to play cards on top of a Maytag washing machine anymore. Even the shithole that opened up in the next town over was better than that, even if it was also run by a scumbag and there was no room for anything.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 3, 2015

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

I just laminated some markers that say ATTACKER in red and just have people keep it in front of them if they entered combat. I remember some combats that would last forever and then neither one of us would know who the hell started it. It has helped at lot at the venue I run events at.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
The store I go to for Vanguard says they're starting to do DBZ tournaments, so I may as well ask some questions here:

What's fun about the game?
Is the game enjoyable if I don't have a lot of nostalgia for the anime?
Where does it fit on the balance of "emphasis on strategy in gameplay" and "emphasis on strategy in deckbuilding"?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like how quick individual turns are. Since you only perform a single action per turn of combat, and can often respond directly to what your opponent is doing (by playing a block or sphere [lol]), you feel like you're actually making decisions a lot more often. Attacking and blocking also lend the game a very direct confrontation sort of feeling - You aren't trying to get past a wall of monsters*, you're slugging at the other player, who then directly responds to that.

Basically no one I know who plays cares about the anime. They certainly did at some point, but that was a long time ago and none of my group focuses on making decks based around their favorite character or anything. It's hard for me to really say how much someone who literally never cared would like the game, because DBZ was so ubiquitous with my cohort's youth that everyone I know did at some point, but other than making the occasional quip about how funny it is that Ginyu and Krillin are the strongest characters right now it doesn't matter for us. That said, on the Retro DBZ facebook group, it's pretty common for people to post weird lore arguments or be like "it's stupid that Master Roshi was such a good personality in the old game, please don't repeat this mistake Panini!" So there's definitely some of those folk around, but none of them are in my playgroup.

Combos don't really exist in PanZ due to the whole "play one card per turn of combat" thing, and there's a lot of decision making that happens during play. Ginyu, for being such a strong deck right now, actually has to make a lot of choices about when to fish out each ally and how to respond to anti-ally tech, and this changes in every matchup. Black Ginyu is probably one of the thinkiest decks I've played in any card game. Not every deck quite reaches that level (lol pre-nerf namekian anger), but you're constantly thinking about which blocks your opponent might have so you can get your most powerful attacks through, or you'll be on the opposite side of that trying to decide which attacks to let go unstopped so you can prevent the one that really matters. Then there's caring about board state with Setup cards and it just sorta goes on. That isn't to say there's no decisions during deckbuilding - I've seen a lot of bad decks for otherwise great character/mastery combinations - but I'd say decks about halfway build themselves in the current meta, and the other half is when you really have to start concerning yourself with what you expect to encounter. This will change as the game ages, there's simply not a huge enough cardpool yet to make any completely radical decisions, but yeah.

*Ginyu decks sorta have this with Guldo but it's not really the same thing.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Being able to cycle Blue Lunge into Blue Stretch Kick with DB7 is slowing becoming one of my favorite things. Also, Blue Positioning Drill continues to rule in most games it can stay on the table. Really enjoying Blue God Goku.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ugh. I went 2-2 in a 23-person event today. I played Orange Piccolo.

Lost my first round to a Black Krillin deck running the San Diego promo as his level one, so he got to sit there comfortably all game.

Beat a Saiyan Vegeta deck in round two without a whole lot of trouble since my opponent never really got much out of his turns.

Lost round three to a Red Piccolo deck that was able to stabilze and win through anger.

Beat a Namekian Piccolo deck by keeping them off of anger just enough to eek out a win in the last few combats. Near the end of the game, I hit with a Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon and got to see the last ~15 cards of their life deck. Most of their Dragon Balls were still in their life deck, so all I had to do was initate the next combat and hope they drew a grip of Dragon Balls. They did, and I was able to take enough off the top with Piccolo's level two power, reached level three, and force them into a Dragon Ball loop. I didn't make the top eight cut, but beating Namekian Piccolo was a personal victory.

Now that the rest of my singles came in today, I have a playset of every card in the game that isn't ultra rare, so I can make pretty much anything I want to. I'm going to try out Black Ginyu tomorrow and see how that fares.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Post your Ginyu deck list so my friends and I can laugh derisivelyhelp you out. Also post a bit about why you made the building decisions you did, that helps a lot

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Countblanc posted:

Post your Ginyu deck list so my friends and I can laugh derisivelyhelp you out. Also post a bit about why you made the building decisions you did, that helps a lot

Jerk.

I'm stealing from this list: http://dbztoptier.com/forums/index.php?/topic/902-the-captain-in-black-black-ginyu/

code:
2x Black Smoothness Drill

2x Black Searching Technique
1x Villainous Visage
2x Visiting The Past

3x Black Adaptation
3x Black Command
2x Black Reflection
3x Black Scout Maneuver
2x Captain Ginyu's Body Switch
3x Stare Down
1x Time Is A Warrior's Tool

2x Black Defensive Burst
2x Black Disorienting Blow
2x Black Finger Block
3x Black Knee Catch
2x Black Lunge
3x Devastating Blow

3x Black Corruption
3x Black Energy Web
3x Black Interceptor Barrage
3x Black Speedy Dodge
3x Black Swipe
3x Overpowering Attack

1x Burter, Ginyu Force
1x Guldo, Ginyu Force
1x Jiece, Ginyu Force
1x Recoome, Ginyu Force
The only change I have made is that I switched the listed Villainous Energy Spheres for Black Defensive Burst, since I don't have any copies.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

So for any playing in tournaments for dbz, how are they being ran? One or three games per match? How are ties decided?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

jhorphear posted:

So for any playing in tournaments for dbz, how are they being ran? One or three games per match? How are ties decided?

Panini hasn't yet put out Tournament info for DBZ, so everyone is just doing whatever. Last time, we had eight players, so we did three rounds of Swiss with a cut to Top Four. Each round was a single game, and had a time limit of about 50 minutes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jhorphear posted:

One local just does straight brackets, double elimination. The other does 5 rounds of swiss, cut to top 8, which is completely stupid because it makes a loving local take 7 hours and I basically never go anymore as a result. We're usually able to argue them down to 4 rounds, cut to top 4, but it's still a hassle.

Also that deck seems pretty solid Star Man. We've been testing a Black Ginyu Anger deck for the last two weeks and it went undefeated at two locals and ended up in 4th yesterday. I dunno if it's better than the more traditional version or not, but it very well may be - Getting to level 3 ASAP is a huge boon and you aren't locked out of MPPV (and in fact the guy running it said he won at least one game he would have lost thanks to MPPV).

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

I just wanted to know how everyone else was running their tournaments. I will just figure something out until we get official word from panini on how to run things. I am aiming for our first tournament as soon as our promo kit arrives, it should be a blast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jhorphear posted:

I just wanted to know how everyone else was running their tournaments. I will just figure something out until we get official word from panini on how to run things. I am aiming for our first tournament as soon as our promo kit arrives, it should be a blast.

My ideal format is best 2 out of 3, double elimination, but basically everyone else hates that idea since you can go 0:2 and drop at a local. Maybe pitch that if it sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

jhorphear posted:

I've been encountering Swiss tournaments. Tie breakers at one store seem to be settled by playing out another game, but that's only been when there are less than eight people.

Countblanc posted:

Also that deck seems pretty solid Star Man. We've been testing a Black Ginyu Anger deck for the last two weeks and it went undefeated at two locals and ended up in 4th yesterday. I dunno if it's better than the more traditional version or not, but it very well may be - Getting to level 3 ASAP is a huge boon and you aren't locked out of MPPV (and in fact the guy running it said he won at least one game he would have lost thanks to MPPV).

I saw a list that goes the anger route as well. I don't like that because I never seem to be able to gain enough anger to put myself at the level I want to be in. I even struggle with decks just to get to level two by eating too many critical hits or finding cards that can kick me up a personality level. So I would prefer to play a control style and jump up personality levels instead of hoping that I don't end up on the wrong side of a Blue deck.

• Locked thread