Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

I came THIS close to pulling the trigger on XCOM as an impulse buy but have managed to hold off. Initial reviews have seemed to basically boil down to "I THINK it's good, but I really can't tell?" I'm holding off until it gets a few more plays and there's more of a consensus as to how much the app shifts gameplay based on the scenarios and whether people actually enjoy the time management after the novelty wears off.

But I'm curious about your hot (off the presses) takes too.

I posted my thoughts after playing it a few days ago. Here's the link - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687728&pagenumber=97&perpage=40#post440620565.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Man, I'd just be happy with a good straight American football boardgame.

Consider 1st and Goal. I've been pleased with it (disclaimer: only logged a few plays) and you can probably find it very cheap (disclaimer: because of a nerd/jock thing causing disinterest or because it sucks, I cannot definitively say). It's like another game I enjoy, Yomi, in that it seems like it's fundamentally Rock Paper Scissors. You and your opponent select play cards from your hands, drawn from the offensive and defensive play decks as befits your situation, and simultaneously reveal. You then do a quick cross-reference against a chart printed on all of the cards for ease of reference to determine what yardage dice to roll for the play. So due to yardage dice it's got noticeable randomness, but it's a short and uncomplicated enough game that I think it's tolerable. A handful of other rules add in safeties and punt returns and all the little quirks of a real football game without ever making it complicated.

I know it has expansions where you get different "teams" who roll specialized yardage dice (base game is equal between the two) but I've never seen one and suspect they're not totally fair...but I do prefer asymmetry in my games.

edit: I would like to add that I think 1st and Goal is more about strategy than luck because my brother-in-law, who's a coach but has minimal gaming experience, dependably outperformed his opponents the couple times he played. Not good statistical proof of anything I know but it seemed like him knowing a little about what plays to do when in reality translated to the game.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 27, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I must have missed it but what are the criticisms of Star Realms for someone who hasn't played it?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mister Sinewave posted:

For which game? I'll check your games out. I'm on a particularly active checking-out-new-games kick lately and am grasping at things to check out, even stuff that doesn't normally align with my interests. (You can PM me if you don't want to out yourself)

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Aston posted:

But I thought you liked dominion?
I forgive Dominion because the held-back content was so substantial that it would have drastically increased the cost and scope of the base game. Dominion was effectively released in "episodes," and development on the later bits was still ongoing to the end.

Merauder posted:

I don't think there's any evidence to back that up.
This is actually a good point and something that could be clarified! Dominion is a Good Game that I also like. Contrast with Good Games that I don't like (Brass), Bad Games that I like (Kill Doctor Lucky), and Bad Games that I don't like (Blood Bowl).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zombie #246 posted:

I must have missed it but what are the criticisms of Star Realms for someone who hasn't played it?

It's a random market game with an obvious best strategy.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

WhiteHowler posted:

I should get to play Xcom on Wednesday with a group that generally likes these sorts of games (we're all big Space Alert nerds), so I'll post a trip report afterwards.

Also, got to play Alchemists over the weekend. I was really looking forward to it, and it was a huge letdown. The deduction is too light, and the scoring is unintuitive and clunky. I'll post more :words: about it after I finish writing my Atlanta Game Fest wrap-up article.

Ack. Alchemists was the impulse buy I got INSTEAD of XCOM. I've yet to be steered wrong by CGE, so I'm hoping this isn't the first time.

Definitely curious to hear what Space Alert nerds think of XCOM. I think there's definitely room for both in my collection, given that they really only share co-op on a timer and sci-fi theme as premises.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.

Congratulations on finally getting stuff rolling, and good luck on the KS.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

Speaking of storing contents, is there a source for really really really tiny storage boxes? I threw out the little plastic bags for meeples in Viticulture because there are 6 slots for 6 colors, but I'm finding they're a pain in the rear end to get out of the tray. I saw a picture on BGG with some tiny plastic containers that fit into the slots, but I haven't found anything that small online.

The dollar store is your best friend for plastic containers of all sizes. All the way from tiny spice/weed container up to tackle boxes. The craft sections often have nice wooden boxes too if you want to get fancy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I laughed at what WILL stands for.

Does boosting whatever those cards were also increase the failure effects?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

The final attack is a cute mechanic, sounds like a blast. I mean, it's no exploding cat game or anything, but it'll be pretty fun, I'd wager.

Is the soundtrack going to be app-based, or are you going to be throwing the tracks on a CD? How many potential combinations for the final attack exist?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The thing I'm most excited for with BL's kickstarter is watching people come out of the woodwork and be like "wow this is great, but oh man do I hate cartoons from eastern countries"

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Countblanc posted:

The thing I'm most excited for with BL's kickstarter is watching people come out of the woodwork and be like "wow this is great, but oh man do I hate cartoons from eastern countries"
At least one person is going to say they would have backed it if it had an elder god theme instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also zombies and tits.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Countblanc posted:

It's just not anime enough for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Radioactive Toy posted:

It's just not anime enough for me.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that you don't have to recite entire monologues ala Domon Kasshu, and instead the game is catering to casual babies with a mere single attack cry.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Final Attack:

First of all, it's not bad. I like it, narrator is pretty good. I would probably back this but I like you and I'm easy.

Critical thoughts are:

Zero impact to all animations. Makes the game look dry.

Plain white background: not great. Makes it seem very sterile and clinical.

Don't like the card design. Or at least don't like the mockups for this video. This is robot poo poo, man! Gotta have robots, technical diagrams, something.

The phrase "monopolize your attention span"...it doesn't make sense as far as I can tell? Just stuck out at me.

Overall: game seems sound, but video needs more punch.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 28, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Broken Loose posted:

I'm concerned that those who don't know and love you like we do might have difficulty coming to grips with your sense of humor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broken Loose posted:

Congratulations on not only being about to launch the campaign, but on the shitloads of work you have had to do to get there! Looking forward to it.

Countblanc posted:

Now that you mention it I am thinking about it. Sure not my thing but I certainly wouldn't be rude enough to actually grumble about it (my outlet for that is Sentinels of the Multiverse. Dude who made SotM, if you're reading this congrats on your game but it just rubs me the wrong way because I am a shallow person but I just can't get past it OKAY)

Besides, from what I gather from the video the "anime TV series" theme and structure is in lockstep with other elements of the design, like the endgame.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 28, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

homullus posted:

I laughed at what WILL stands for.

Does boosting whatever those cards were also increase the failure effects?

No, but there is a thing called "Maximum Break" that functions as a mini-NEEDS you sometimes need to do. For example, a card where for each BOOST you have to pay a Coolant or the BOOST is wasted.

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The final attack is a cute mechanic, sounds like a blast. I mean, it's no exploding cat game or anything, but it'll be pretty fun, I'd wager.

Is the soundtrack going to be app-based, or are you going to be throwing the tracks on a CD? How many potential combinations for the final attack exist?

The soundtrack is mp3-based, but there will be stretch goals for a CD and a web app. I have a huge script of Final Attacks to use and a few spreadsheets of mission layouts. 8 missions are good to go right now, but stretch goals which let me hire other artists will give me enough wiggle room to polish out as many as 12 or even 16.

Just checking the text file, they are
THUNDER LIGHTNING SHOOT
VERY DYNAMIC PUNCH
INFINITY VIPER
PEGASUS INFERNO BREAK
GATLING SOMERSAULT
GENTLE SERENADE
COLOSSAL BLADE
TIARA HEART SPIRAL
ICICLE HAMMER
HUGE KICK
BLUE DIVER CRASH
GRAVITON BUSTER
SOUL RISER
MEGATON KNUCKLE
OMEGA BEAM
STARLIGHT BAZOOKA

Countblanc posted:

Frankly, I'm disappointed that you don't have to recite entire monologues ala Domon Kasshu, and instead the game is catering to casual babies with a mere single attack cry.

It's gonna be worse than that.

It'll be covered in a separate video, but the game has a unique mechanism for handling each Robeast's "personality." You draw an Enemy ID card at the beginning of a mission. Each ID has various Forms that the Robeast will evolve into over the course of the mission. Each Form generally adds new, horribly inconvenient rules to the game. You can prevent it from evolving by not getting hit, generally, but the whole thing contributes to a very messy situation rife with communications breakdowns, occasional required hot-blooded shouts, friendship through adversity, and terrifying death spirals.

A basic example of an Enemy ID you'd encounter:

The general guidelines are "Alpha is inconvenient," "Beta is really inconvenient," and "If we reach Omega we lose."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Don't like the card design. Or at least don't like the mockups for this video. This is robot poo poo, man! Gotta have robots, technical diagrams, something.

The card art is incomplete for most cards. I'm not posting progress shots of card art. There will be complete cards displayed during the campaign.

The other stuff-- it's not the actual KS video; it's just a very basic how-to-play. I can clean up some of the language, though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Wheres all the dice rolling i thought there would be tons of dice rolling

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As a more serious comment, I like the idea of playing with dialogue and language in a board game, especially a realtime one. It's difficult to enforce, and requires specific groups, but I think designers see those two issues and instantly shut off instead of accepting them (or trying to solve them in some way) and making such a game anyway. So again, good luck.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm concerned that those who don't know and love you like we do might have difficulty coming to grips with your sense of humor.

I genuinely laughed.

Broken Loose: I'm assuming the enemy cards will have variable difficulty, ala Space Alert? You say it's not explicitly a hard game so much as it's weird, but could it be modified to crush my balls (weirdly)?

Countblanc posted:

As a more serious comment, I like the idea of playing with dialogue and language in a board game, especially a realtime one. It's difficult to enforce, and requires specific groups, but I think designers see those two issues and instantly shut off instead of accepting them (or trying to solve them in some way) and making such a game anyway. So again, good luck.
Same. Very intriguing stuff, I'm interested in seeing how it all fits together. Looking forward to the campaign.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zombie #246 posted:

As someone who only bought it as part of the Humble Bundle, it's the same problems every row based deckbuilder has. There are different strategies and deck-types in the game, but you can't commit to any of them because the of the random market row. Also, it has terrible card balance, so being lucky enough to buy one of the broken cards can make or break the game. Unlimited actions and obvious decision points on the cards also make playing each hand largely obvious. If you like a lighter, much more luck based dominion with a space theme, it might be a game for you. But I found that a game of Star Realms on android is no shorter than a game of Dominion on Goko.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
PC bloodbowl is actually pretty fun, a group of my friends have an ongoing league. It's a huge advantage having the computer do all of the dice rolling, calculations, upkeep etc. and you can just leave it sitting there for a month while everyone's on holidays without an issue.

It's still not a good game but it's one of the few highly random games I quite enjoy.

Broken Loose posted:

Your voice really reminds me of Phreak from Riot Games (league of legends). I don't know why I find this so amusing.

Anyway your game looks mindbendingly difficult and yes, pretty nerdy/anime. I don't think my group would go for it but I know people who'll love poo poo like "you have to say 'it burns!' after everything" and I'll definitely pass it on to them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bubble-T posted:

I know people who'll love poo poo like "you have to say 'it burns!' after everything" and I'll definitely pass it on to them.

Yeah said people reside within my group and it kinda sounds like their jam, might be my jam too since it looks kinda like Space Alert minus a lot of the stuff I don't like about Space Alert? At any rate, I'll pass it on to the guy in my group who actually buys all the board games.

also I can yell stupid anime poo poo loudly as a gameplay mechanic and that is very much my jam

EDIT: MY FRIEND HAD VARIOUS OPINIONS TO SHARE

quote:

00:50 - FRIEND: *watches*
00:50 - FRIEND: "This looks like an interesting game"
00:50 - FRIEND: 'If you mess up the final shout, you lose'
00:50 - FRIEND: "gently caress OFF"
00:55 - FRIEND: I mean, the mechanic of shouting words in unison is not one that appeals to me, but that doesn't make it bad.
00:56 - FRIEND: The way I see it though, right now it's not a game mechanic, it's a gimmick. It's a thing you do twice in the whole game for no apparent reason, and the second time if you gently caress it up you flat out lose?
00:56 - Succinct And Punchy: it's a game that seems to play with language and dialogue as a central theme
00:57 - FRIEND: You see I am not getting that from the video. Maybe push that a bit more? I would be more forgiving of the ending bullshit if I knew the game was less serious in tone and involved more speaky shenanigans already.
00:58 - FRIEND: Show that poo poo off, because in fact that's probably a key selling point.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 28, 2015

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm a bit concerned about how pausing the track to resolve the attacks will interrupt the flow of the game, but the rest sounds pretty good.

The game sounds more Super Sentai than anime to me.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Why should I play your game instead of Space Alert?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

A basic example of an Enemy ID you'd encounter:

The general guidelines are "Alpha is inconvenient," "Beta is really inconvenient," and "If we reach Omega we lose."

I am excited about the formalized language/"social game" aspect (not that I'm not into the rest, but I already own Space Alert). It's one of the big outsider/new person/Ameritrash addict complaints about modern games, right? That it's not long before you are just asking for brown cubes instead of cows or wood or slaves? So a game that encourages you to speak under time pressure within the theme -- a ridiculous theme, at that -- is appealing to me.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Broken Loose posted:

Can't wait for you to sell out and pay for Tom Vasel to do an early "review" of your game.

Seriously though, I've been waiting for this for a while and will gladly back it!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Broken Loose: I'm assuming the enemy cards will have variable difficulty, ala Space Alert? You say it's not explicitly a hard game so much as it's weird, but could it be modified to crush my balls (weirdly)?

The Attack cards are related to the difficulty slider. The game has 10 different difficulty settings that range from "anybody can win" to "Space Alert Double Actions Red with no equipment." The Enemy ID cards are largely static in difficulty, although some are harder or easier depending on your playstyle and communication skills (an old video playthrough shows a remarkably difficult Robeast who switches 2 icon types and completely ruins communication, but he's significantly harder than another Robeast whose Omega form is "you take 140 trillion damage").

j8910 posted:

Why should I play your game instead of Space Alert?

• Space Alert is a 4-5 player game with shoehorned 1-3 support. Final Attack! cleanly supports 1-5 players and emergently scales the difficulty of the game with no extra rules by simply making Combination requirements be per-player.
  • Final Attack! has very tactile elements that take advantage of being in a tabletop environment. Throwing chips around a table, occasional physical challenges (certain Robeasts require you to do things with your hands or body), and creative manipulation of communication abilities all make it an experience impossible to be done any other way. Space Alert, for all its strengths, could be done as a computer game and lose almost nothing.
  • The resolution rounds are shorter and more interactive than Space Alert's blackbox playback round.
  • You die DURING the mission, which a lot of people kind of hate doesn't happen in Space Alert.
  • Power Rangers/Voltron/Starvengers/Gaogaigar/Gurren Lagann/Combattler V/Gunbuster/Getter Robo is not a theme done very often in games, while "crew a spaceship" games are a dime a dozen.
  • Final Attack! is easier to teach and understand than Space Alert.
  • Setup time is much faster than Space Alert.
  • The icon system allows for a huge amount of freedom in how players interact with and support each other. The Arms need Balance to do a punch or you fall down, but the ways you get Balance are numerous and all thematically appropriate.
  • Final Attack! missions absolutely scale in difficulty and tension over time, and players scale steadily in power over the course of a mission, to match. Space Alert generally starts hard, gets harder in the middle, and then coasts while people assume they've already won or lost.
  • The KS backer level for the game will be cheaper than Space Alert.
  • The way the Systems are designed, everybody is given a clear idea of how they can contribute to the team, even beginners.
  • I could keep going if this isn't enough, but I'll stop here.

RE: Losing the mission by loving up the attack shout.
This is a thing that has been brought up by people. It is purely a hypothetical, as those people even realized that in the course of a mission it's one of the least of your worries. The lead-in for the shout has enough time for you to fully divert your attention to it. The shout has gotten more praise than hatred because my players love the concept of the game peaking at the end with a gigantic display of teamwork, hot-bloodedness, synchronicity, and precision, like when you all look out the window simultaneously at the end of Space Alert. It's a coop game, so I can't really stop your group if you're all funhaters who can't act anime for 3 seconds, but I assure you it's not even remotely as bad as your worst preconceptions of it.

As a sidenote, it is a rule in my house that anybody who wins any board game is required to throw their arms in the air and shout the name of the game like in 90's board game commercials. The joke is that Final Attack! self-enforces this rule.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Broken Loose posted:

I don't know if you're at the point of taking notes, but there could be some sort of way to have the command word phrase be different for each mission, or even generated randomly or systematically throughout the game. Maybe even some sort of memory/deduction element where the players have to work it out as the game goes on? Maybe that's getting a little crazy.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
It's worth repeating that Final Attack! will absolutely be guaranteed to be the best 1-3 player coop out there if it gets funded. Space Alert doesn't work with those numbers, but I went out of my way to make sure my game does so flawlessly (especially solo play, given how many people in here only have Mage Knight as an option).

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know if you're at the point of taking notes, but there could be some sort of way to have the command word phrase be different for each mission, or even generated randomly or systematically throughout the game. Maybe even some sort of memory/deduction element where the players have to work it out as the game goes on? Maybe that's getting a little crazy.

The Combination Codephrase is the same every mission. The Final Attack is unique to each audio track. Given how many people are already hesitant to approach the shouting aspects of the game, I'm hesitant to experiment heavily with this as-of-yet-unexplored mechanic.

edit:
SuccinctandPunchy - There WILL be a video dedicated to covering the Enemy ID and wacky communications aspects of the game, don't you worry. I'm not dumb enough to leave that sort of thing out. The video I just posted was a basic rules tutorial, not the actual main "back this game" video.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 28, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
So... do you have to shout the final attack when playing solo?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
At what level of funding will a backer be able to add their own custom Final Attack! to the finished game?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yes :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PerniciousKnid posted:

If you have to ask this then you lack sufficiently hot blood to play this game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

If you have to ask this then you lack sufficiently hot blood to play this game.

It might be because I haven't watched the video and gotten fired up yet.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PerniciousKnid posted:

I actually address this in the manual by saying, "Haven't you ever watched anime before?"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Broken Loose posted:

I actually address this in the manual by saying, "Haven't you ever watched anime before?"

Wait, so the game takes three weeks to play and I spend 95% of my time standing in place and yelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Broken Loose posted:

Wow, now I need some sappy music in queue for when my group learns the true power of friendship.