Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

wodin posted:

C9 had never lost a day one game before last week, so, uh, yes?

Sample size being two games, now three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Give it a few weeks, most of the dominant teams take some time to pick up steam. I mean, at least one more week before we start crying about the sky falling and buying a whole winterfox suit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Invalid Validation posted:

Give it a few weeks, most of the dominant teams take some time to pick up steam. I mean, at least one more week before we start crying about the sky falling and buying a whole winterfox suit.
You'll never be able to shame me for buying a Winterfox onsie even if they come in last.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invalid Validation posted:

Dig is going to worlds - 2013/4

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

A onesie would be amazing.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
No wonder this guys called high... Cause he plays like he's on drugs. And this top lamer balls? Thats what his play is. And meteos? Mediocre. When life gives you lemons you end up playing like lemonnation. And sneaky is a great name for the guy who's never 2v2 laned in his life. Trash tier, put them in a bodybag.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

No wonder this guys called high... Cause he plays like he's on drugs. And this top lamer balls? Thats what his play is. And meteos? Mediocre. When life gives you lemons you end up playing like lemonnation. And sneaky is a great name for the guy who's never 2v2 laned in his life. Trash tier, put them in a bodybag.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
im gonna be sad if that was just a twitch copy pasta

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Just wait until C9 win a game, everyone here will change their tune pretty quickly.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

CODChimera posted:

Just wait until C9 win a game, everyone here will change their tune pretty quickly.

It'll be pretty funny to watch the reactions, yeah.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

CODChimera posted:

I mean they looked kind of lovely last week, there's no way to deny that. Anyone trying to make guesses on how teams will do the rest of the season (let alone Worlds) based on the first week of the spring split is stupid

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I gave up on trying to make solid predictions a year ago. Aside from the usual performance swings, a ton of the games get swung by "did player X sleep last night or did he stay up all night eating taco bell drinking baja blast?" and "is <star foreign player> legally able to play for the team in this major event?" and "did the team just travel 8 hours consecutively before the match and are all jet-lagged and exhausted?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Libertine posted:

I gave up on trying to make solid predictions a year ago. Aside from the usual performance swings, a ton of the games get swung by "did player X sleep last night or did he stay up all night eating taco bell drinking baja blast?" and "is <star foreign player> legally able to play for the team in this major event?" and "did the team just travel 8 hours consecutively before the match and are all jet-lagged and exhausted?"
Why don't professional college teams have these problems? Do they just need more coaching staff and life coaches and basically a nanny to tell them to go the gently caress to sleep

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CODChimera posted:

Of course. I can only judge a team based on their last game played.

Which is why I feel safe in saying that this year is the year that CLG makes it back to worlds!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

There's still pretty consistant things you can count on, like TSM and Alliance always getting strongest at the end of a season and other veteran teams taking a little while to warm up, plus stubborn teams like CLG or Copenhagen Wolves never bothering to learn why they're not doing well.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Flameingblack posted:

Why don't professional college teams have these problems? Do they just need more coaching staff and life coaches and basically a nanny to tell them to go the gently caress to sleep

College teams do have those problems though. If you're looking at analogizing to something like Division 1 football or basketball, players there effectively have their entire lives modulo 1-2 hours of free time a day regimented by their coaches. But yeah, we're in an odd space where there's juuuust enough of the money of professional sports that the support mechanisms start being worthwhile and mandatory to the performance of the team (hence Team Liquid's apparently insane support structure and regimented schedules), but we don't have the full-on 3-4 support staff for every player that you see in the big money sports.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

The only decent AD mid at the moment is Zed (though I guess they could try double ADC with Corki mid), but double AP is currently meta because it makes your ADC more valuable. Also Balls looked pretty drat good on Lissandra at IEM and Hai played a much, much better Ori there than he did this last weekend. Seriously go watch the C9 v. UOL or Alliance games from IEM and then C9 v. TSM or Gravity, it's insane how different they look, and it makes me believe that "we didn't get any good practice," probably because of the visa issues, is actually probably a big deal.

Did the Hyper Charge nerf push Jayce below competitive teir? Still seems like he does a pile of damage?

Bonus: New patch notes! I'm ready for speedy Tibbers in the LCS

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Badfinger posted:

By the way, this is the reason I like Pastrytime. The casting isn't actually very good, but the enthusiasm and the importance of the game make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAoZJolrYI

Just watched this for the 3rd, 4th time ever, so good. I love how many of those players are still relevant (or were until recently): Solo is now Heart, and Cheonju now Acorn. Both went on to join SSB and reached semis of worlds last year. ManDu is Poohmandu (duh), season 3 world champ. Longpanda continued being bad but still had a team and had the pandanotes :v: InSec and Dade on the same drat team, and both went on to be either best player in the world or merely best player at their position. Kkinsh kicked around for a while, too. Space stayed on at CJ Entus and starts for them in their new guise. Pretty impressive across the board, really, especially for one of those teams being literal amateurs at the time.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Slaapaav posted:

im gonna be sad if that was just a twitch copy pasta

I am a content creator, not a content distributor. Anyone could tell you that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Libertine posted:

Yeah. And there is clearly so much drama behind the scenes that we don't know about until someone has left the team or whatever.

I think one of the most important attributes of a team is consistency, and C9 have proven to have that. That's why SKT were so dominant, they played at their best pretty much every game.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Speaking of Drama, Selfie/Kori claims that Impaler was actually kicked off the team, and the reason he left was really unprofessional too. The team just kind of exploded after doing so well.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

In case people didn't know, IEM Taipei is on right now, with Joe and Deman casting.

E: For some reason the game sound is basically non-existent?

Killed By Death fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 28, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hai seems a little depressed following the outcome of Week 1, it probably doesn't help that people on Reddit are telling him he sucks and he needs to retire.

In what's probably even worse news for Cloud9 than Hai falling into a Nein-like depression, is Incarnati0n has appraoched C9 in hopes of being a coach. Incarnati0n was permanently banned by Riot Games for allegedly drophacking high elo games. Incarnation, the upstanding lad he is, fights these claims saying there's no proof and that the screenshots Riot has gathered are photoshopped. He doesn't dispute the fact that he was also banned permanently 3 times for toxic behavior. What does that mean? It means that Cloud9 are absolutely stupid since he's banned from appearing on stage during pick and ban phase unless his ban is overturned. Incarnati0n was forced to leave SK Gaming as coach for the same reason.

But what's most depressing is CLG Black is returning and the whole team is being built around Westrice.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 28, 2015

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Um, excuse me, but Westrice is Bestrice

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

curiousCat posted:

Um, excuse me, but Westrice is Bestrice

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
westrice is like doublelift if he was actually good at league

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

Hai seems a little depressed following the outcome of Week 1, it probably doesn't help that people on Reddit are telling him he sucks and he needs to retire.

More bad news for Hai: Next patch a lot of Fizz's dmg output will be shifted from his normal abilities to his ult.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Undefeated Gnarvan for IM, but Jin Air has a pretty decent comp and Ganked by Mom got Kassadin. I think Jin Air ends the Gnarvan streak.

edit: lmao, this prediction

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 28, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Uh is LCK being played on the patch before base gates? Looks so weird not having them, after a week of LCS EU/NA with them :pwn:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Flameingblack posted:

In what's probably even worse news for Cloud9 than Hai falling into a Nein-like depression, is Incarnati0n has appraoched C9 in hopes of being a coach. Incarnati0n was permanently banned by Riot Games for allegedly drophacking high elo games. Incarnation, the upstanding lad he is, fights these claims saying there's no proof and that the screenshots Riot has gathered are photoshopped. He doesn't dispute the fact that he was also banned permanently 3 times for toxic behavior. What does that mean? It means that Cloud9 are absolutely stupid since he's banned from appearing on stage during pick and ban phase unless his ban is overturned. Incarnati0n was forced to leave SK Gaming as coach for the same reason.

But what's most depressing is CLG Black is returning and the whole team is being built around Westrice.

incarnacion was a coach for SK last season and hasn't done anything even remotely bad in a long time. I think he'd be a fine coach for C9 (and then probably their midlaner when he's unbanned from professional play).

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Incarnation knows a ton about the game and I'm sure would be an incredible coach for cloud 9 imo

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

drat I hope that c9 doesn't let this guy who did Toxic Behavior coach for them I'm not sure how he'd fit in with the relaxed and extremely not frathouse c9 mentality.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Flameingblack posted:

Incarnation, the upstanding lad he is, fights these claims saying there's no proof and that the screenshots Riot has gathered are photoshopped.

I don't know where you're getting this from. I mean what, why would Riot need to gather screenshots of their own chat logs? You're talking about some post-game chatlog posted by some guy on Reddit that has nothing at all to do with Riot and that nobody's disputed. The question was whether it was just talk (as anyone would tell you a crushing majority of DDoS threats are) or if someone actually got DDoSed. So far we have what from one perspective looks like a murder charge without a body, or a missing person :shrug:

That said, there is no proof that anyone knows of, just some fairly weak evidence. I could DDoS 10 players in the next month or two with a 0% chance of there being even the slightest theoretical trail of it pointing towards me. By virtue of how the process works, it's very difficult or impossible to have conclusive data pointing to anything short of rampant DDoS activity. Riot has never claimed to have proof (I don't think) and they sure as hell don't need to prove anyone's guilt to ban them from their video game, this really isn't as complicated as some people are making it.

I don't really mind him staying banned, but I'd give 3:1 odds for someone betting against Incarnation playing in the LCS summer split. His is the story Riot is dying to tell after :airquote:enough time has passed:airquote:, nobody actually cares anymore if he DDoSed someone or not.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Oh I just read the dailydot article about Incarnacion and they want him to be a C9 streamer, too. That makes a lot of sense, I bet he'd be a really popular streamer with the C9 brand behind him.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
the problem being is that guy is probably going to be a huge thorn in their side if he fucks up royally again and gets permanently removed or whatever poo poo Incarnation stirs up

How Rude fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 28, 2015

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
He did some poo poo cause he was like 15 and 15 year olds are retards. He seems like a really cool positive dude now. He is also a beast player, I wonder if they'd ever replace hai for him

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Deft & Pawn are making 1.2 million a year as players in Korea from Edward Gaming (I'm assuming it's from salary + streaming) as confirmed by a player in the scene (Wh1t3zZ) and one of the coaches that came over is making upwards of 500k a year. No wonder so many Korean players moved over to Korea, that's insane.

Piglet is also pissed off at Apollo because of some communication. Apollo was asked to rank the NA AD Carries in order and he didn't include Piglet because "I've never met him before" but Piglet took it very personally and has apparently decided to make a huge deal about it, trash talking him on stream. I really don't expect Wizifujin to make Piglet cry, but Xpecial might.

re: Incarnati0n, people usually don't get over anger issues THAT easily. It's only been two years and I don't think he's had that much time to mature. What that means is if he were ever unbanned and messed up once, he would completely ruin any team he were on. Maybe he's a lot calmer now, but is the risk worth the reward? We saw what happened to SK at World's last year (Their Jungler using a racist name for his summoner and get banned for half of the group stages could have cost them a big opportunity at advancing)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Did the Hyper Charge nerf push Jayce below competitive teir? Still seems like he does a pile of damage?

NA never seemed very keen on Jayce mid, I thought that was a thing Koreans brought out at Worlds and then everyone followed the leader.

quote:

Piglet is also pissed off at Apollo because of some communication. Apollo was asked to rank the NA AD Carries in order and he didn't include Piglet because "I've never met him before" but Piglet took it very personally and has apparently decided to make a huge deal about it, trash talking him on stream. I really don't expect Wizifujin to make Piglet cry, but Xpecial might.

That seems remarkably petty of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lightning Knight posted:

That seems remarkably petty of him.

It's 100% piglet and I absolutely love it. He's a prototypical star athlete - ridiculously talented and driven and totally a man-baby about stuff like that.

• Locked thread