Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Backweb posted:

Japan still clinging onto the Nazis on the other hand...

Hey, speaking of Japan, World War 2, and bad marketing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Backweb posted:

Because East Asia never had a culture of "lets enslave Africans!" like the USA, other former European colonies, and former European colonial powers had, the taboo of blackface (esp. the minstrelsy shows that were popular 100+ years ago) just doesn't exist over here. If someone wanted to dress up as an African they'd probably do blackface because "hey, it's fun to dress up as other cultures... this is how I saw it in some pictures" and not even think about how potentially offensive it is. Asia has their own racism, but it's mostly just xenophobic or religious. Japan still clinging onto the Nazis on the other hand...

The lipstick/eyeshadow combo on the second picture is the real advertisement tragedy IMO.

E: devil's advocate post: If it weren't for the outfit, I could have passed off the first picture as "Asian woman dressed and painted both completely white and black" and wouldn't have cared. But the bow tie-tophat combo is too uncanny to be accidental. The second picture doesn't seem necessarily blackface-inspired, they just went with the charcoal theme and it turned out tragically uncomfortable looking.

Sure is lucky that Dunkin Donuts is a traditional Thai company which doesn't have an international brand image to maintain.

Hint: they aren't and they do, that's why it's bad marketing.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

duckmaster posted:

Sure is lucky that Dunkin Donuts is a traditional Thai company which doesn't have an international brand image to maintain.

Hint: they aren't and they do, that's why it's bad marketing.

Yeah I know that. The thing is a lot of global corporations will leave it up to their regional divisions to make marketing decisions. Still isn't the best move on Dunkin Donuts' part, obviously.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Japan: If they can't pretend the war never happened; they turn it into an anime with cute girls in hopes of brushing it under the rug.

It's kinda depressing how they pretend it never happened really.

I have watched Girls Und Panzer though, cause it's War Thunder/World of Tanks the anime and the premise of it is just so silly its entertaining.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

LOL

Well obviously the there are two sides to every story and the truth is usually somewhere in between. So by watching a gritty WWII action flick combined with WWII loli anime fanservice the viewers are able to draw their own conclusion about the true facts of WWII.

Seriously, Japan and weird loli WWII anime poo poo. A few years ago wasn't there some anime where the historical WWII powers were represented as all being loli mecha cyborg WWII anime friends or something?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Backweb posted:

LOL

Well obviously the there are two sides to every story and the truth is usually somewhere in between. So by watching a gritty WWII action flick combined with WWII loli anime fanservice the viewers are able to draw their own conclusion about the true facts of WWII.

Seriously, Japan and weird loli WWII anime poo poo. A few years ago wasn't there some anime where the historical WWII powers were represented as all being loli mecha cyborg WWII anime friends or something?

There's that one where each country is represented as pretty boys/girls who hang out together at school.

Of course Germany is the ultra cool guy in it. AFIK though the "war" is more the over stereotyped Allies giving the Axis characters crap. We are suspsoed to feel bad for the Axis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Total Meatlove posted:

The KFC advert in Australia that got pulled because of American backlash was a pretty good example of how multinationals have to work to some international (American) ideal of advertising.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIhf41ctkM (With commentary)

I like how the host of the show actually refers to the West Indies fans as "African Americans".

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I like how the host of the show actually refers to the West Indies fans as "African Americans".

All black people are African-Americans.
America :911:

Backweb posted:

E: devil's advocate post: If it weren't for the outfit, I could have passed off the first picture as "Asian woman dressed and painted both completely white and black" and wouldn't have cared. But the bow tie-tophat combo is too uncanny to be accidental. The second picture doesn't seem necessarily blackface-inspired, they just went with the charcoal theme and it turned out tragically uncomfortable looking.

Illamasqua is a british cosmetics brand. And I don't think she's asian

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sleeveless posted:

Weird abstract game commercials are way better than just rolling some cutscenes and gameplay footage with some review quotes slapped on it and calling it a day.

I would rather see what the game looks like, or even a live-action cutscene that shows some of the story, than have fuckin' racist caricature squirrels screaming about PORTABLE NUT.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Gridlocked posted:

I have watched Girls Und Panzer though, cause it's War Thunder/World of Tanks the anime and the premise of it is just so silly its entertaining.

Ah, yes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I do not understand your response.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Gridlocked posted:

I do not understand your response.

It is bad to watch anime.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

The KFC advert in Australia that got pulled because of American backlash was a pretty good example of how multinationals have to work to some international (American) ideal of advertising.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIhf41ctkM (With commentary)

After watching the commercial part twice it's easy to realize the dude wearing green in the center of the shot is surrounded by people who are fans of an entirely different sport team. But sandwiched between other commercials and not often seen back to back it would be beyond easy to mistake this as racism.

I mean, assuming Australia doesn't have a lol Black people love fried chicken stereotype. I don't know the issues of race in Australia very well.

Backweb posted:

Because East Asia never had a culture of "lets enslave Africans!" like the USA, other former European colonies, and former European colonial powers had, the taboo of blackface (esp. the minstrelsy shows that were popular 100+ years ago) just doesn't exist over here. If someone wanted to dress up as an African they'd probably do blackface because "hey, it's fun to dress up as other cultures... this is how I saw it in some pictures" and not even think about how potentially offensive it is. Asia has their own racism, but it's mostly just xenophobic or religious. Japan still clinging onto the Nazis on the other hand...

Yeah no one in Thailand really gave a poo poo. It was only eventually pulled due to international pressure. Not surprising, really. No its not blackface in Thailand cultural context but to everyone else it is sketchy as hell.

Postal Parcel theyre referring to the bottom image of the drunk donuts ad. I do wonder if blackface is s thing in britain. Why on earth would they put a person in a top hat and suit and blackface?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Wedemeyer posted:

I mean, assuming Australia doesn't have a lol Black people love fried chicken stereotype. I don't know the issues of race in Australia very well.

It's not great.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gridlocked posted:

There's that one where each country is represented as pretty boys/girls who hang out together at school.

Of course Germany is the ultra cool guy in it. AFIK though the "war" is more the over stereotyped Allies giving the Axis characters crap. We are suspsoed to feel bad for the Axis.

iirc they reduced the rape of Nanking into a gag.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Illamasqua is a british cosmetics brand. And I don't think she's asian

Ah, wasn't aware it was British. Assumed it was also an Asian marketing thing. That is definitely a bad marketing move.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I... oh. I take it back. I'm sure there was probably some underhanded racist reason for that commercial being made then.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wedemeyer posted:

I do wonder if blackface is s thing in britain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

:britain:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Wedemeyer posted:

I... oh. I take it back. I'm sure there was probably some underhanded racist reason for that commercial being made then.

There are different ways to be racist and different cultures have different targets and stereotypes!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Asia can be weird.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

See the culture tag under this page.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Wedemeyer posted:

Postal Parcel theyre referring to the bottom image of the drunk donuts ad. I do wonder if blackface is s thing in britain. Why on earth would they put a person in a top hat and suit and blackface?

quote:

quote:

If it weren't for the outfit, I could have passed off the first picture as "Asian woman dressed and painted both completely white and black"
:smug:

e:And yes, it is a thing in Britain. I mean, Gollywogs anyone?

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.
So there's this "martial arts master" in Cleveland, TN. He's a blond Mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCEfu471oS8

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc they reduced the rape of Nanking into a gag.

I heard the show was whitewashing stuff, but :psyboom:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SirPhoebos posted:

I heard the show was whitewashing stuff, but :psyboom:

Of all the things to mock Hetalia for, complaining about a silly gag-a-day comic not treating historical events with enough gravity and respect is the weakest. Especially from the forum that brought you tribute.wmv

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sleeveless posted:

Of all the things to mock Hetalia for, complaining about a silly gag-a-day comic not treating historical events with enough gravity and respect is the weakest. Especially from the forum that brought you tribute.wmv

Thank god some guy made that video fourteen years ago so you'd be able to protect everything you like from criticism forever.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Thank god some guy made that video fourteen years ago so you'd be able to protect everything you like from criticism forever.

Well hey, if every single member of the forums past and present hadn't all banded together to create that video jointly then maybe we'd have a leg to stand on.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

There are different ways to be racist and different cultures have different targets and stereotypes!

Wow how enlightening.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sleeveless posted:

There's context. Whereas Germany made holocaust denial illegal, in Japan denying or grossly downplaying the rape of Nanking isn't just common, it's official government policy. When a Japanese anime whitewashes the Japanese atrocity that Japan does its best to pretend never happened, it's part of that revisionist narrative.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had never heard of tribute.wmv so I googled it.

quote:

tribute.wmv is a very well known internet video. to deny it a reference on the yakety sax page is a travesty.

I added a reference to it in the entry.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There's context. Whereas Germany made holocaust denial illegal, in Japan denying or grossly downplaying the rape of Nanking isn't just common, it's official government policy. When a Japanese anime whitewashes the Japanese atrocity that Japan does its best to pretend never happened, it's part of that revisionist narrative.

Hetalia does that same sort of thing with all of history. Not that I'm saying that makes it any better at all, but massacre deniers are, as pointed out on that page, a minority in Japan. There are some people in the government that deny it, yes, but the US elected Bush not too long ago and it's not any different then that. Right wing assholes are the same everywhere. Luckily, revisionism isn't a major problem right now. Most Japanese citizens have their head on straighter then that. It'd do the country a lot of good for them to follow Germany's example anyway.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's just the sort of casual "this wasn't a big deal" thing that Japan is trying to burn into the public consciousness, and the hard right wing militarism is also a popular topic for anime and light novels, so even the otakus are buying into the "Japan did nothing wrong, we could've taken over the world if cowards didn't hold us back." After some serious controversy in the 90s that got international condemnation, Japan backed down, but recently the same mentality has resurged.

As voting apathy reaches new heights and the only ones voting are either 60+ longing for the good old days or younger hard right militants, the Japan political parties have to double down and support all the revisionist rhetoric and hard right groups because they're the only ones making noise.

It turns out when you're country has been drifting through an economic malaise for decades, your entire stagnant culture is steadfastly refusing change at any level to where your birthrate has dropped to a record low 1.4, alarming percentages of your younger generations don't even bother with marriage/families, all sorts of wackos can suddenly start throwing around serious political clout.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

WickedHate posted:

Hetalia does that same sort of thing with all of history. Not that I'm saying that makes it any better at all, but massacre deniers are, as pointed out on that page, a minority in Japan. There are some people in the government that deny it, yes, but the US elected Bush not too long ago and it's not any different then that.

What?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

"Yes but, America did [X["

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

What I mean to say is, pretty much every other major country is as bad as Japan is with stuff like that. It's not exceptional as far as comitting war crimes and covering them up goes. Anyone who perpetuates it should be rightfully critisized, but it's not like...a Japanese thing.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

WickedHate posted:

What I mean to say is, pretty much every other major country is as bad as Japan is with stuff like that. It's not exceptional as far as comitting war crimes and covering them up goes. Anyone who perpetuates it should be rightfully critisized, but it's not like...a Japanese thing.

If everyone who perpetuates it should be rightfully criticized, why defend this precious anime, then?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Huntersoninski posted:

If everyone who perpetuates it should be rightfully criticized, why defend this precious anime, then?

I'm not. I don't really care for Hetalia and treating atrocities like they do is gross.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

WickedHate posted:

I'm not. I don't really care for Hetalia and treating atrocities like they do is gross.

Then what's the point of anything you posted? Generally when someone says "Thing is bad," and a second someone replies "Sure but other thing is just as bad," they're trying to downplay the badness of the first thing.

Also massacre denial and electing a lovely president aren't really equivalent offenses, you could have picked better if you had to.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

No no, don't gloss over this. Explain how electing someone who is slightly more conservative than his predecessors is "just as bad" as murdering 300,000 people, many of whom were raped to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No no, don't gloss over this. Explain how electing someone who is slightly more conservative than his predecessors is "just as bad" as murdering 300,000 people, many of whom were raped to death.

Wickedhate was pro-gamers in gamergate. Just let it go.