Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm curious how the "repeal obamacare" thing is supposed to work for people who got insurance on the exchanges. Do they lose their insurance? Keep it but suddenly start having to pay 100% of it? What about state exchanges, would they get shut down?

They're sent to FEMA camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm curious how the "repeal obamacare" thing is supposed to work for people who got insurance on the exchanges. Do they lose their insurance? Keep it but suddenly start having to pay 100% of it? What about state exchanges, would they get shut down?

Whichever one leads to you dying.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mineaiki posted:

So Republican governor of my state and potential 2016 US Presidential candidate Mike Pence has proposed a state news agency called Just IN.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/01/26/pence-starts-state-run-news-outlet-to-compete-with-media/22370005/

For some reason the Star expects people to pay to learn about news in Indiana, so I'll copy relevant parts.

Yes, a "fiscal conservative" wants to spend taxpayer money to create a conservative state spin-machine that will keep the liberal media (the INDIANA liberal media) from controlling the message. Let's base our public news source on the systems of hopelessly corrupt Illinois and the federal government's primary propaganda organ, only we'll talk about why unions are destroying the world and gays are evil.

I want to know how they will spin spending 6 billion dollars to buy back the I-90 toll road that they sold for 4 billion dollars.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

Do they think insurance companies will reduce prices? Because lol if so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, it didn't work the past 50 times, let's try it again!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CannonFodder posted:

I want to know how they will spin spending 6 billion dollars to buy back the I-90 toll road that they sold for 4 billion dollars.
Um, you may not know this in your ivory tower, but in business there's such a thing as increased value. So we're paying 6 billion now for a road that could one day be worth 10ty thousand billions. :smug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

"It's all Mitch Daniels's fault"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "I don't think that would be productive ... but we'll consider all options. Interesting thought." ~ Governor Bill Walker (I-AK), on whether he'd consider secession over ANWR.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm sure, *sniggers under breath* -sure the Republicans who are voting to repeal Obamacare, *starts quivering with suppressed giggles* -repeal Obamacare have thought- have thought that though andoh jesus guyshave a plan in place to-*collapses to the ground, convulsing uncontrollably with laughter*

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 27, 2015

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

zoux posted:

How has no one busted out that "definition of insanity" that politicians are mandated by law to mention once per speech?
I remember someone admitted that at least one of the like 50+ votes to repeal the ACA was so that the new incoming congressmen could have a chance to vote against it, like it was some kind of initiation ritual.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

Speaking of the gays, the Mormon church just decided to endorse a ban on employment and housing discrimination for LGBT people.

Someone please find a camera and a microphone and ask Mitt Romney about this! :allears:

Make sure Mitt isn't driving when he hears. He's been known to go off the road.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Joementum posted:

Maybe Governor Deal should hold a prayer rally whenever there's snow in the forecast. It worked for the drought, right?

Maybe he can join Perry in praying for rain every time Texas bursts in to flames.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Due to a Democratic filibuster, the KXL Pipeline vote failed in the Senate.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/keystone-xl-bill-senate-114609.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I love how the GOP's plans have gone up in smoke thus far this term.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how the GOP's plans have gone up in smoke thus far this term.

Only 23 months to go. Something is going to get through eventually.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Suck it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Star Man posted:

Maybe in the future Obama will be known for masterfully running out the clock while trolling the entire opposing team. A political Harlem Globetrotter.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Much like the ACA Act Repeal, they'll be back.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Enough time has passed that the Republicans can start whining about how Obama is persecuting a serviceman and this is a witch hunt.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I don't think that would be productive ... but we'll consider all options. Interesting thought." ~ Governor Bill Walker (I-AK), on whether he'd consider secession over ANWR.

I know this is mildly amusing to outsiders but the AK Secessionist Party has existed since Alaska became a state. Literally every politician who has ever worked in the state over the past 70 years will have at least one quote like this. It's not a thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Star Man posted:

Yeah, but the claims by McConnell and Boehner that the GOP would try and 'act like adults' or whatever have blown up in their faces.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, but the claims by McConnell and Boehner that the GOP would try and 'act like adults' or whatever have blown up in their faces.

I understand that. But they've still got the rest of this two years to get it together just enough to do some kind of damage. Or for Obama to finally give in to something bad.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Maybe in the future Obama will be known for masterfully running out the clock while trolling the entire opposing team. A political Harlem Globetrotter.

My mind immediately incorporated him spinning a basketball on his finger into this image and I wish I had the giffing skills to do it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "But what's not acceptable is people that want to come and conquer us. That's not immigration, by the way, that's colonization. If someone wants to come here and change our fundamental culture and our values. If they want to come here and they want to set up their own culture and values that's not immigration, that's really invasion if you're honest about it. Of course, the politically correct crowd when you say things like they'll call you racist but this is a particular threat we face. And if we're not serious about this we're going to see more lone wolf actors. We're gonna see more folks come into our country just like you've seen in other countries -- the horrific shootings in Paris." ~ Bobby Jindal

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Star Man posted:

I understand that. But they've still got the rest of this two years to get it together just enough to do some kind of damage. Or for Obama to finally give in to something bad.
It's going to be pretty limited, as long as Obama keeps that veto pen handy. I can't imagine many bills are going to have the kind of bipartisan support to override a veto.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bobby Jindal missed the memo that horrific mass shootings are the price we pay for our second amendment rights.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Pish, only 6 dead? Please, a real American gets his body count into double digits. Stop hating on Americans, Bobby!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Lest we forget the inscription upon the Statue of Liberty: "Assimilate Or Die!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's really gross that Bobby Jindal has decided that owning the radical Islam issue and drumming up false fears about muslims is his path to the presidency. As bad as Americans are at assuming every brown Asian person is a Muslim, you think he more than most would understand how damaging anti-Islam sentiment is to both Muslim and non Muslim South Asian immigrants.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"If they want to come here and they want to set up their own culture and values that's not immigration"

At least we're being honest that the Pilgrims were invaders.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

It's really gross that Bobby Jindal has decided that owning the radical Islam issue and drumming up false fears about muslims is his path to the presidency. As bad as Americans are at assuming every brown Asian person is a Muslim, you think he more than most would understand how damaging anti-Islam sentiment is to both Muslim and non Muslim South Asian immigrants.

Does India have a history of anti-Muslim sentiment?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Allahu akbar! Murder them with pyroclastic flows from unmonitored volcanoes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Haha you know why Pakistan exists? Remember the Mumbai attacks? There is massive, massive strife between India and Pakistan's Hindus and Muslims

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The rent really is too drat high.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

He pays for an apartment what I pay for a mortgage :stare:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

I paid more than that for a small 2-bedroom in a not-great area of San Diego.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Well, let's take a look at what market rate is.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Oh hay, the rent is similar to my area.

:suicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

More than literally any other country you can name. Including Russia. Including China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Seems like he's conflating Muslims and Mexicans, too. I know it's an easy mistake to make, what with all those mexican/turkish fusion food carts out there, but still, you gotta be able to at least pretend to know the difference.

• Locked thread