Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
A follow-up on the Google/Adsense Polygon article.

This came along with an email from a real person(!) saying that the reinstatement was due to the article.

So yeah, all you have to do to get your Adsense account back from the Invalid Activity Graveyard is to write an article on a major gaming news site :( Hopefully Google can implement some changes. They offered to chat with me via phone about my account, hopefully I'd like to ask if they're going to be taking any steps to improve their customer service! Because 6 hours on hold is a tad extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad for you. Youtube is starting to get real predictable on this, though.

I'd like to hear what this Actual Person™ has to say.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

VoidBurger posted:

This came along with an email from a real person(!) saying that the reinstatement was due to the article.

So yeah, all you have to do to get your Adsense account back from the Invalid Activity Graveyard is to write an article on a major gaming news site :( Hopefully Google can implement some changes. They offered to chat with me via phone about my account, hopefully I'd like to ask if they're going to be taking any steps to improve their customer service! Because 6 hours on hold is a tad extreme.

Make sure you end the phone call with "Don't be evil."

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Let's hope after a couple articles on that issue google will at least change something about their service policies. Like, not automating something like that, perhaps. That'd be a good thing to start with.
But I somehow get the feeling that this will not be the case.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
You're going to record it right?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Sibling of TB posted:

You're going to record it right?

You know that doing this without consent is illegal in almost every civilized country, right?
I mean, unless the government does it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

IGgy IGsen posted:

You know that doing this without consent is illegal in almost every civilized country, right?
I mean, unless the government does it.

One-Party Consent!

Assuming she lives in the US, unless VB lives in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Washington (not DC) or Illinois, she's got all the consent she needs to record any phone conversation, should she feel the urge to.

Edit: Caveat, you'd need to check the location of the call center your "actual person" is calling you from too, I suppose.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 27, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, states with two-party consent laws still only require a record of the other person's consent. If VB says "This conversation is being recorded" and it continues, then it would be taken as consent in any court of law.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, states with two-party consent laws still only require a record of the other person's consent. If VB says "This conversation is being recorded" and it continues, then it would be taken as consent in any court of law.

Of course if she does that the next thing she hears is going to be the "call ended" sound.

Still, I wonder what a Google service rep is even going to have to say on the matter of "the way you handle AdSense disputes is completely and irrevocably hosed and open to abuse, and the only way anyone can get anything done about it is to publicly rub your noses in it?" Whoops, our bad?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I think since California is a two-party consent state, I have to abide by their laws AND mine, I don't think my state's laws cancel theirs out.

Also I have a feeling that saying "This conversation is being recorded" at the beginning is going to put a damper on whatever conversation we have, lol.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

VoidBurger posted:

I think since California is a two-party consent state, I have to abide by their laws AND mine, I don't think my state's laws cancel theirs out.

Also I have a feeling that saying "This conversation is being recorded" at the beginning is going to put a damper on whatever conversation we have, lol.

Ok what you're going to do is record yourself and then pretend to be like Solid Snake.

"You mean you won't change your system even after it's clearly been proven to cause issues?"

You can't get in trouble for recording only your side of the conversation, can you?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

VoidBurger posted:

That's why I added the caveat that you should check which call center they're calling you from.

That said, the fact that the call is being recorded doesn't have to be a downer. In fact, they might end up giving you the "this call may be monitored for training purposes" shtick before you get started, or you can tell them you're recording in case you want to do a follow up article. The worst that'd do is make them more inclined to put their best face forward.

Just make sure not to put it in language that sounds like "I'm recording this so that I have ammunition to use against you in an upcoming class-action lawsuit," and I don't think you'll have a problem.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 27, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Keeshhound posted:

Just make sure not to put it in language that sounds like "I'm recording this so that I have ammunition to use against you in an upcoming class-action lawsuit," and I don't think you'll have a problem.

There is no way whatever Google custserv person they're throwing in front of this is going to take "hey so before we get started I'm gonna record this conversation" as anything but that, no matter how VoidBurger says it or reassures them that it totally isn't going to be used as ammo against them no sir nohow. I would be unbelievably surprised if this sort of thing didn't run afoul of some internal "don't give unsolicited interviews" guideline which means the only thing that'll happen as a result is the person on the other end going into full cover-my-rear end mode and ending the call.

Seriously, it would be nice to see someone from Google frankly address how lovely they are about this but "hey, let me record this so my pals on the Something Awful Let's Play forum can weigh in" is going to go over about as well as a lead parachute.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Seriously, it would be nice to see someone from Google frankly address how lovely they are about this but "hey, let me record this so my pals on the Something Awful Let's Play forum can weigh in" is going to go over about as well as a lead parachute.

Just wait till the apocalypse happens and we have fire hurricanes. You'll be wishing you had that lead parachute then.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Just make a written transcript and do a comedy sketch about it later. Get Amy Poehler in there to be the person from google.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Niggurath posted:

Just make a written transcript and do a comedy sketch about it later. Get Amy Poehler in there to be the person from google.

Are written transcripts somehow more legal than recording the call?

(Not that's I'm going to record anything - I'm really expecting that this call (if it even happens) is just going to be focused on my account alone and no other wider matters.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doing that is basically the same as saying "he said this and that and I said this and then he said this", I'm pretty sure the reason recordings require consent in a lot of places is because it is cemented proof of the conversation happening. If you say that the guy said a thing because you wrote it down while you were talking, you don't really have a way to actually prove that he said it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Ask at the end of the call (and I do mean at the end, when everything else is done and you're going to hang up) if either the rep you're speaking to or someone at Google would be up for a formal interview for a follow-up article. Even if they (most likely) say no, there'd be no loss to you.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VoidBurger posted:

Well that's cool. Glad they actually reinstated it. Did you submit another appeal after you wrote the article, or did they just send that to you seemingly out of the blue?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

VoidBurger posted:

Are written transcripts somehow more legal than recording the call?

(Not that's I'm going to record anything - I'm really expecting that this call (if it even happens) is just going to be focused on my account alone and no other wider matters.)
Who knows? I was more just making a stupid comment to go along with the idea of recording the conversation in the first place which seemed pretty stupid. I'm just glad you got the stuff worked out in the end.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

BMS posted:

Well that's cool. Glad they actually reinstated it. Did you submit another appeal after you wrote the article, or did they just send that to you seemingly out of the blue?
No further appeals, just an automated email in my inbox today, shortly followed by a personal email from a human. I wonder if you're account is going to get put back up, since you're mentioned in the article as well? I'd really hope so... :(

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

BMS posted:

I'm no fan of YouTube comments, but gently caress. That poo poo seems a bit petty and extreme. I'm not talking about the whole "HURD U LIEK MUDKIBBLES" poo poo either, but, so what, if somebody just makes a legit typo or something, the app will automatically block that poo poo?

Bottom line, people take YouTube comments way to seriously. Disable them if you must, or just do the common sense approach, and ignore them and move on.

For real though, back on this topic of YouTube comments at the lowest of the low, I don't have screenshots since I have long since blocked the person. But I was playing The Walking Dead Season Two and you get to the part where You choose between saving Sarah or leaving her to die in the mobile home and someone got so mad at me for it that they wrote a novel, blowing up this little moment in a video game as if I was some sort of monster and they went off about how "offended" they were.

When I responded with "Don't get mad at me for something that happened in the game" they wrote another novel that I did not bother to read, this also reminds me I hate how the YouTube/Google+ thing works because you need to essentially block a person twice now for them to not be able to comment on videos. Is it just me or is this new generation of internet users the most overly sensitive, children ever seen? I don't recall seeing this "I'm offended" "Trigger warning" crap until 2014.

Anyway though how about that Nintendo Creator Program thing? I wonder if registering videos with them will get them removed from my copyright notifications tab.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Don't know about that specifically, but apparently it's not that great. TotalBiscuit went over it a bit in a video. For those that can't bear to listen to him, a quick run-down of how it works:

You have to sign up with Nintendo, and can either flag individual videos or an entire, Nintendo only channel. If you flag a video they take 40%, while flagging every video on a channel will only cost 30%. However, this is after all of the other stuff that comes off first, like Google's automatic 50% cut and the MCN's cut if you're a part of one, which can be around 10-40% or so after Google's cut. Then, they only pay through PayPal using USD so you'll probably have PayPal fees on top of any currency conversions if they're needed.

TotalBiscuit gave an example of how a $100 video would wind up being around $20 on PayPal after everything came out, while you'd normally sit around $35 after the MCN's cut.* Still technically better than nothing, I suppose, but I believe almost every other developer has backed off and will allow monetization without a cut, I think the only major things popping up now are music, sound, trailer and cutscene issues.

*Assumes an average of 30% cut for MCN and 40% cut from Nintendo.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole "if you want to do a single Nintendo video we take a 40% cut, but if you agree to put all your faith in our products to only do Nintendo related videos we'll only take a 30% cut" is pretty dumb as well.

Really don't see the angle Nintendo is going for other than wanting to exert more control on their IP. Which they sort of have full right to do with regards to Let's Plays (since that's still a debated topic) but they're going about things so weird and awkwardly.

It also doesn't really cover review videos and news videos much either from what I can tell.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 30, 2015

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Bluebomberimo posted:

But I was playing The Walking Dead Season Two and you get to the part where You choose between saving Sarah or leaving her to die in the mobile home and someone got so mad at me for it that they wrote a novel, blowing up this little moment in a video game as if I was some sort of monster and they went off about how "offended" they were.
Some people seem super defensive about that particular character because of the way the devs somewhat lazily designed her to have a vague, quirky, maybe-mental-illness-but-we're-not-really-sure-cuz-it-might-also-be-that-she's-very-sheltered plausible deniability thing going on with her. So people who DO relate to her in vague mental health ways project that to be 100% canon, and take it very personally how you treat her. I haven't played all of Season 2 (but I saw that spoiler coming anyway), but I've already been asked: "Do you have a problem with intellectually disabled people in general or just fictional ones you can make fun of for laughs?" (I don't think I made fun of her at all, but I laughed at her father hitting her with the full force of his power unnecessarily because it was SO unnecessary.)

And this was ask.fm, not Youtube, lol. Probably because Youtube isn't as anon as ask.fm, so you can ask all sorts of absurd or harassing questions without many ramifications. So it's not just Youtube that's a bit weird with this particular character. Nobody judged me as hard for not high-fiving and sometimes making fun of Duck, or for constantly mocking and eventually murdering Ben, who is also a useless teenager trying not to gently caress up but continuously doing so anyway, because the game does not try to imply at all that those young people have any mental problems (though it could have if it chose to have some scenes like that).

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

VoidBurger posted:

Some people seem super defensive about that particular character because of the way the devs somewhat lazily designed her to have a vague, quirky, maybe-mental-illness-but-we're-not-really-sure-cuz-it-might-also-be-that-she's-very-sheltered plausible deniability thing going on with her. So people who DO relate to her in vague mental health ways project that to be 100% canon, and take it very personally how you treat her. I haven't played all of Season 2 (but I saw that spoiler coming anyway), but I've already been asked: "Do you have a problem with intellectually disabled people in general or just fictional ones you can make fun of for laughs?" (I don't think I made fun of her at all, but I laughed at her father hitting her with the full force of his power unnecessarily because it was SO unnecessary.)

And this was ask.fm, not Youtube, lol. Probably because Youtube isn't as anon as ask.fm, so you can ask all sorts of absurd or harassing questions without many ramifications. So it's not just Youtube that's a bit weird with this particular character. Nobody judged me as hard for not high-fiving and sometimes making fun of Duck, or for constantly mocking and eventually murdering Ben, who is also a useless teenager trying not to gently caress up but continuously doing so anyway, because the game does not try to imply at all that those young people have any mental problems (though it could have if it chose to have some scenes like that).

I'm glad we found the culprit, Bluebomberino!

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I love video games and the characters within them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, uh.
The Game Grumps just uploaded an animation that appears to me to be unspeakably racist. I'm not sure I'm even comfortable posting it here.
Has anyone else seen it? Am I just being oversensitive?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I want to see the racist meme video.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTq20prt0K8

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfHuSgYZI1E

Yeah....this is just terrible.

The defenders in the comments are equally bad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

paradoxGentleman posted:

So, uh.
The Game Grumps just uploaded an animation that appears to me to be unspeakably racist. I'm not sure I'm even comfortable posting it here.
Has anyone else seen it? Am I just being oversensitive?

If only I had a link to watch it :v:

E: It's pretty bad

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean, "ching ding dong dow" is novel new joke material that's never been tried before. That's not going to sit well with their audience who find change and new things scary.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
My problem with the video is less that of racism and more that I don't think the joke is particularly funny.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Not to mention the whole L/R thing. The video is just so full of hate and original letdowns!

In other words, unless you're Japanese and genuinely offended, yes, you're just being overly sensitive. Why would you be offended on behalf of others about old and tired non-jokes when humor is the real victim here?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The Colonel posted:

My problem with the video is less that of racism and more that I don't think the joke is particularly funny.

Yeah, I don't even care about the racism because I already stopped caring once I decided that I didn't think it was funny at all. It's supposed to be comedy, and it's not funny. That's already the worst thing that can happen to comedy, so case closed, it's poo poo, no need to further think about poo poo.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It's vaguely racist, sure but it's vaguely racist in the same sense as that one Simpsons episode with Krusty going "Me so solly" and doing the flapping dickie bit. It's about as funny too.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

klafbang posted:

Not to mention the whole L/R thing. The video is just so full of hate and original letdowns!

In other words, unless you're Japanese and genuinely offended, yes, you're just being overly sensitive. Why would you be offended on behalf of others about old and tired non-jokes when humor is the real victim here?

I'm not exactly offended as much as I find it in poor taste.
I find their humor pretty spotty and by far not my favorite, but I laughed often enough to subscribe and check their videos once in a while, at least the ones that don't become huge, long-winded series in which very little is actually accomplished.
I guess this is sort of a weird thing to draw the line at, but it seriously look like something out of 50s propaganda.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I didn't watch all of it, but does anyone in the clip whip out a pipe and dress up as Stalin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
The Grumpy Gamers are at it again!

• Locked thread