Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

If I praise Wuntch, she will leave the city, the clouds will part and the children will sing.

What children?

All the children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If I praise Wuntch, she will leave the city, the clouds will part and the children will sing.

What children?

All the children.

Of course. Stupid question.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Somebody please make a gif of Jake and Terry being constipated and angry.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a kick out of this image

http://i.imgur.com/pLEQgBn.jpg

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Brock Samson posted:

Gonna have nightmares about that Terry smile.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
"This wedding sounds weird. I'm into it."

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

If Terry Crews never plays a Terminator, then really, what's the point of anything?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
The cold opens for this show are nothing short of brilliant. They're always completely hilarious.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I can't be the only person who thinks every Holt and Diaz scene is like an alternate universe version of Ron Swanson and April Ludgate

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Still Fluxing posted:

The cold opens for this show are nothing short of brilliant. They're always completely hilarious.

That last one was probably the coldest open they've done so far! :v:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
https://gfycat.com/WindingSpicyAsiaticwildass

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's terrifying, and what's up with that url, yo?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phy posted:

That's terrifying, and what's up with that url, yo?

That's just gyfcat's naming style. AdjectiveAdjectiveAnimal

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BreakAtmo posted:

If Terry Crews never plays a Terminator, then really, what's the point of anything?

As far as I'm concerned, this is more Terminator canon than Rise of the Machines http://youtu.be/RrI5OLf6lHQ

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I know they needed a way to write out Jake's girlfriend, but her getting an attitude with him for arresting a man he saw doing lines of cocaine was really dumb. Especially given how clearly coked up he was and even admitting to it while in the police station. Cops doing favors for people like that should've been a huge problem for a defense attorney.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

pentyne posted:

I know they needed a way to write out Jake's girlfriend, but her getting an attitude with him for arresting a man he saw doing lines of cocaine was really dumb.

That's not why though; she wasn't sure about the relationship before then, and he pressed the issue in typical Jake fashion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

I know they needed a way to write out Jake's girlfriend, but her getting an attitude with him for arresting a man he saw doing lines of cocaine was really dumb. Especially given how clearly coked up he was and even admitting to it while in the police station. Cops doing favors for people like that should've been a huge problem for a defense attorney.

You REALLY didn't read that whole thing right. Hahaha.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

To be fair though, that was actually a pretty good bit of character there for both Sophia and Jake. Jake finds it hard to see past the immediate line of "Saw guy do coke -> arrest guy, that's my job" to see the larger relationship implications of him coming on stronger when his girlfriend wanted space. It's not arresting her boss, it's everything he did leading up to that and which put him in that position. Regardless, I thought it was good to see Jake get worked up in an immature-yet-earnest way about a three month long relationship - it seemed very fitting. And, of course, it clears the deck for the inevitable return of Jake and Amy scenes.

All the elements of the episode came together well. Holt's battle with Wunch is a lot of fun, it's a real weakness of his and the more he lets it get to him the bigger the hole he digs - and the latest development will only make things more interesting! I'm also liking how the Boyle and Gina thing evolved into their parents getting married, I'm hoping it leads to a big silly wedding season finale. It's the little arcs and character developments spun throughout that make the show so fun to watch, along with the excellent humor and delivery.

Also the bonding is getting amazing. The end of the episode with tipsy Holt offering "advice" to Peralta made the whole thing.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011

inthesto posted:

I can't be the only person who thinks every Holt and Diaz scene is like an alternate universe version of Ron Swanson and April Ludgate

But not as good.

Well, Eva Longoria is now out of the picture. 6 ou 7 episodes of "won't they might they" with Amy and they'll end up together.

About wLunch, I'm starting to feel bored. Ok it's fun but it's always the same thing and the captain end up "losing". Absolutly no surprise there.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Zadus Rejan posted:

About wLunch, I'm starting to feel bored. Ok it's fun but it's always the same thing and the captain end up "losing". Absolutly no surprise there.

You mean "about Butt", right?

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
"Have fun watching some chubby Chenoweth knock-off warble her way through Popular."

:drat:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The most hilarious part of all that is both Wunch and Holt only see one 'insult' out of those tickets: that it is not the main cast doing the musical. Everyone else would be focused on the fact that its a musical about a witch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Oben posted:

"Have fun watching some chubby Chenoweth knock-off warble her way through Popular."

:drat:

This. I lost it at "chubby Chenoweth".

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I wanted that episode to go on another half hour and just be Terry, Jake and Holt getting drunk together.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I wanted that episode to go on another half hour and just be Terry, Jake and Holt getting drunk together.

Yeah, that ended way too soon.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zadus Rejan posted:

I might've agreed, but adding Wuntch's jilted feelings back into the mix made things a little more interesting this episode. It's going to lead to a weird blowup.

It was also worth it for the excellent "My lady left me." "My lady stayed." exchange.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

What is a promotion from deputy chief? Is she chief now? I don't understand police ranks.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Dolash posted:

And, of course, it clears the deck for the inevitable return of Jake and Amy scenes.
how can I influence the show to do anything other than this

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
The good thing about the Jake and Amy romance subplot is that it isn't the Charles and Rosa romantic subplot. Because that was loving dire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Still Fluxing posted:

The good thing about the Jake and Amy romance subplot is that it isn't the Charles and Rosa romantic subplot. Because that was loving dire.

Yeah. I like Rosa a bunch and want her to have a good romantic subplot, but there are no characters currently on the show that fit the bill. Unless Holt's nephew(?) is actually going to be recurring. That was pretty funny.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Does anyone have a youtube link or something of the episode intro everyone went nuts about earlier this season with Holt saying "hot drat!" About Amy being late?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Does anyone have a youtube link or something of the episode intro everyone went nuts about earlier this season with Holt saying "hot drat!" About Amy being late?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LsH73GT1M

Awkwardly cut for some reason.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

myron cope posted:

What is a promotion from deputy chief? Is she chief now? I don't understand police ranks.

from watching the wire, my understanding of ranks is:

chief
deputy chief of operations
major
colonel
captain
lieutenant
sergeant
detective / constable

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TommyGun85 posted:

chief
major
colonel
captain
lieutenant
sergeant
detective / constable

Real question: Where does Commissioner fit? I would assume that is above Chief?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Snak posted:

Real question: Where does Commissioner fit? I would assume that is above Chief?

Below detective. The commissioners usually clean the restrooms and make coffee.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

Below detective. The commissioners usually clean the restrooms and make coffee.

har har.

The reason for this confusion is that different municipalities have different administrative structures. Sometimes the role of Commissioner is fulfilled by the Sheriff, according to wikipedia. Either way, Commissioner is the head of the organization, which is sometimes the Chief of Police. A Commissioner may be an elected official who is not a police officer in some places.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In boston our commissioner is a civilian. We just got a new one last year actually. Iirc, its an appointed position. Dont recall any election for it anyway.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Snak posted:

har har.

The reason for this confusion is that different municipalities have different administrative structures. Sometimes the role of Commissioner is fulfilled by the Sheriff, according to wikipedia. Either way, Commissioner is the head of the organization, which is sometimes the Chief of Police. A Commissioner may be an elected official who is not a police officer in some places.

Well it turns out NYC is not really like any other department and there are like 300 deputy commissioners and a bunch of other crazy departments and whatnot and it has its own entire Wikipedia article all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization_of_the_New_York_City_Police_Department

So I'm guessing they could find a position for her.

And yeah the mayor appoints the Commissioner and can fire the commissioner whenever

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

TommyGun85 posted:

chief
major
colonel
captain
lieutenant
sergeant
detective / constable

Commissioner/Chief (top dog, think of it as a General in the Army, Sheriff in smaller areas.)
Deputy Commissioner/Chief (In large cities there's more than one. might be one for Operations, Intelligence, etc. Think of em as Lieutenant Generals)
Commander (Two ranks above Captain in New York)
Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel (both this and Colonel aren't that common in police, but Baltimore has these, thus the Wire has em. :v:)
Major
Captain
Lieutenant
Sergeant
Detective/Officers

The ranks can differ depending on what city you're in really but I guess that's basically a wide overview.

e;fb and probably explained better than me.

Zeratanis fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

Well it turns out NYC is not really like any other department and there are like 300 deputy commissioners and a bunch of other crazy departments and whatnot and it has its own entire Wikipedia article all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization_of_the_New_York_City_Police_Department

So I'm guessing they could find a position for her.

And yeah the mayor appoints the Commissioner and can fire the commissioner whenever

So she could have just gotten a job promotion without getting a rank promotion, i.e. she is still a deputy chief, but she has a more important job?

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 28, 2015

• Locked thread