Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Actually, he's got an even better plan: he's trying to convince the KY GOP to opt-out of the primary and run a Presidential caucus convention instead. Since that won't be administered by the state, it won't run foul of the ballot law. Parties can do this, since it's up to them what type of selection process they run for nominations, so it has a decent shot of working. It still doesn't solve his general election problem, but that's not really his biggest general election problem anyway.

His campaign has also said they're considering suing the state and arguing that the KY election law interferes with federal administration of elections. This is a decent argument, except that it runs counter to Rand's entire political philosophy.

In theory anyway - can't the KY Republican party just ignore the results of the primary and nominate him if they wanted to? Or is there some state law that forces them to honor the results of the ballot? Wasn't it Missouri in 2012 that ran both a primary and a caucus and just ignored the results of the primary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, how many of the school shooters and general mass shooters have been non-Christian? There was the sniper after 9/11, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's no true Christians carrying out most if not all of the shootings in America.

There was that one in New Mexico where the shooter was a kid who was the tri fecta of home schooled, Christian AND the son of a pastor. That got buried REEEAAAL fast.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Romney is looking good
"Everything he says just sounds like a thoroughly wiped rear end when it comes out of his mouth."

I need to pay more attention to Rollins this election season. And generally.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Romney is looking good

Romney needs to simply campaign like this. Just swagger onto the stage and be all super-rich pimping. "I've done this dog and pony show twice before, I don't loving care anymore, I'm a rich pimp and you're not and all these other candidates are even bigger assholes than me."

I still wouldn't vote for him, but it would be entertaining as gently caress.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

Romney is looking good

Carmen, no!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Romney is looking good

Where the hell rear end is that from?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

silvergoose posted:

Where the hell rear end is that from?

http://henryrollins.org/

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Good to see his Verizon money coming through. More time to play dress up and pen more ludicrous rants about paying roadies more than rockstars.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Family Values posted:

In theory anyway - can't the KY Republican party just ignore the results of the primary and nominate him if they wanted to? Or is there some state law that forces them to honor the results of the ballot? Wasn't it Missouri in 2012 that ran both a primary and a caucus and just ignored the results of the primary?

State laws don't matter. The Supreme Court already decided that political parties can use whatever method they want to choose nominees on free association grounds.

If the KY GOP wants to host a cock fight to decide the nomination (which with Matt Bevin running for Governor they just might) they can do that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Carson

quote:

On intelligent design (from Take the Risk):

From what I know (and all we don't know) about biology, I find it as hard to accept the claims of evolution as it is to think that a hurricane blowing through a junkyard could somehow assemble a fully equipped and flight-ready 747. You could blow a billion hurricanes through a trillion junkyards over infinite periods of time, and I don't think you'd get one aerodynamic wing, let alone an entire jumbo jet complete with complex connections for a jet-propulsion system, a radar system, a fuel-injection system, an exhaust system, a ventilation system, control systems, electronic systems, plus backup systems for all of those, and so much more. There's simply not enough time in eternity for that to happen. Which is why not one of us has ever doubted that a 747, by its very existence, gives convincing evidence of someone's intelligent design.

quote:

On gay parents (from The Big Picture):

Recently a homosexual couple brought a child in to be examined on one of our neurosurgical clinical days. During lunch, after the couple had left, one of my fellow staff members commented favorably on the couple's obvious love and commitment to the child. He said to me, "I know you don't approve of homosexual relationships and wouldn't consider their home a healthy atmosphere in which to raise a child. But I was impressed by that couple. I think their sexual orientation is their business. Think what you want, but it's just your opinion."

My response wasn't nearly that politically correct. "Excuse me, but I beg to differ," I said. "How I feel and what I think isn't just my opinion. God in his Word says very clearly that he considers homosexual acts to be an 'abomination.'"

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

State laws don't matter. The Supreme Court already decided that political parties can use whatever method they want to choose nominees on free association grounds.

If the KY GOP wants to host a cock fight to decide the nomination (which with Matt Bevin running for Governor they just might) they can do that.

But that's only a factor if the KY GOP want to run the primary themselves, right? They can do that, but it's a logistical pain in the butt and it's expensive. Given that they don't like Rand Paul, I'm hard-pressed to see them switching from a state-run primary to some sort of firehouse primary system to help out a guy who isn't a part of their machine (if they go convention couldn't Rand get beat by an ultra-TeaPartier, especially if he moves libertarian for the Presidential Primary?).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So what you're saying is that he's shooting for the nomination and hoping to seal it up before the South ever sees his face?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

It's good to know Ben Carson is taking his campaign about as seriously as everyone else is.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
From all I know (and all we don't know) about eating, I'm not sure it really works the way we think it does. I can throw 50 different houseplants into a vat of acid and that vats not going to get diabetes. Duh.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

He's puzzle isn't he? Is he lying and scamming right wing rubes? Is actually dumb and is some sort of surgical rainman? If you told Ray Comfort to use that 747 poo poo in a debate he'd tell you to gently caress off.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Romney is looking good

...it fits a little too well.:stare:

So where's the two weeks of freaking out over Romney's red suit just like Obama's tan suit? I assume all the squawking over Obama's suit was a legitimate fashion thing and not ahahahah I can't even pretend that "suitgate" wasn't the stupidest and most petty thing ever.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

fade5 posted:

...it fits a little too well.:stare:

So where's the two weeks of freaking out over Romney's red suit just like Obama's tan suit? I assume all the squawking over Obama's suit was a legitimate fashion thing and not ahahahah I can't even pretend that "suitgate" wasn't the stupidest and most petty thing ever.

I see where the inspiration for Mismagius 9 years ago came from.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

To be fair that is a very good argument against the spontaneous appearance of a fully assembled 747 that I've yet come across. I'm questioning my Boeist upbringing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bpower posted:

Is actually dumb and is some sort of surgical rainman?
Being a loving idiot and being technically skilled isn't an unbridgeable gulf by any means.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jackson Taus posted:

But that's only a factor if the KY GOP want to run the primary themselves, right? They can do that, but it's a logistical pain in the butt and it's expensive. Given that they don't like Rand Paul, I'm hard-pressed to see them switching from a state-run primary to some sort of firehouse primary system to help out a guy who isn't a part of their machine (if they go convention couldn't Rand get beat by an ultra-TeaPartier, especially if he moves libertarian for the Presidential Primary?).

Depends on how much they want to piss off the guy with one of the biggest fundraising operations in the country. Mitch figured that out last year.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jesus dickriding christ what a moron. How the hell did this guy get through his undergrad biology courses, let alone med school, without even the slightest understanding of evolution? And the second part isn't about political correctness so much as it's about Dr Carson being an upper echelon cock.

Sounds like he wants people to know he's even frothier than Santorum.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Jesus dickriding christ what a moron. How the hell did this guy get through his undergrad biology courses, let alone med school, without even the slightest understanding of evolution? And the second part isn't about political correctness so much as it's about Dr Carson being an upper echelon cock.

Sounds like he wants people to know he's even frothier than Santorum.

I imagine he did it the same way other creationists with advanced degrees manage it: compartmentalized memorization that they do their best to forget as soon as they've got the degree.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I hate being "doesn't get the joke" guy, but can someone explain why you're all treating a picture of Henry Rollins like its a picture of Mitt Romney?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I imagine he did it the same way other creationists with advanced degrees manage it: compartmentalized memorization that they do their best to forget as soon as they've got the degree.

Biology and anatomy don't require buying into evolution, all you need is to say the good lord connected the foot bone to the leg bone and proceed from there.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Carson is pretty clearly just saying things that he thinks will play well with the base. The quote about gay parents is likely all Carson, but the evolution thing is probably a play for support. Not an especially good one, though

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kevyn posted:

I hate being "doesn't get the joke" guy, but can someone explain why you're all treating a picture of Henry Rollins like its a picture of Mitt Romney?

squint at it

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

This guy's about to hook you up with some bomb weed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

No that's the guy you're about to sell an eighth of oregano to.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

SedanChair posted:

No way. That dude looks like a narc.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Something other than time and body fat must have appened to this guy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

No that's the guy you're about to sell an eighth of oregano to.

Not I. Even Scott Walker deserves real weed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Not I. Even Scott Walker deserves real weed.

He'll stop you in the hall after 4th period the next day and tell you all about how high he got last night off that killer bud.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

He'll stop you in the hall after 4th period the next day and tell you all about how high he got last night off that killer bud.

I just realized this is a fake David Koch prank call joke isn't it. :laffo:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

sullat posted:

Biology and anatomy don't require buying into evolution, all you need is to say the good lord connected the foot bone to the leg bone and proceed from there.

Of course they don't require you to believe that evolution happened (well, the latter discipline anyway), but the breathtakingly stupid analogy that Carson drew in order to proudly proclaim his ignorance goes beyond simply denying the theory's validity. It demonstrates a clear lack of understanding as to how evolution works in the first place. So it's entirely possible that he:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

[...] compartmentalized memorization that [he did his] best to forget as soon as [he] got the degree.

But the more likely story is that:

Good Citizen posted:

Carson is pretty clearly just saying things that he thinks will play well with the base. [...] the evolution thing is probably a play for support. Not an especially good one, though.

I was just sputtering exasperation when I made that reply; it really rankles me when someone like that shows absolute ignorance about an essential pillar of biological science, whether s/he subscribes to it or not. Now that I've got my bearings back, my cynical, curmudgeonly side assumes that this is just a very poorly executed appeal to the base. Those idiots will lap it up, but he thankfully doesn't have a chance anyway.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Perry's second attempt to get the indictment thrown out has failed and now there's a hashtag.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Joementum posted:

Perry's second attempt to get the indictment thrown out has failed and now there's a hashtag.

What's that? Laugh at Rick Perry? As a red-blooded Texan I can get behind that that statement.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

Man wasn't Tom DeLay a huge whiny baby about getting indicted too?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Is he supposed to be writing on a shower door or what?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

SedanChair posted:

Is he supposed to be writing on a shower door or what?

Maybe he's in a bath house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
In those glasses he looks like he could be Tina Fey's mom.

• Locked thread