Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I have to agree. I'm pissed off at WWE re: the Royal Rumble and their continued tone-deaf/spiteful booking, but that doesn't change the fact that the Network is an amazing deal for fans and I'd hate to see it fail/go down.

After this Network number they might not even be so tone deaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've had the network for pretty much the whole time and never though it wasn't worth it even after my boy d-bry didn't win the rumble. Ten bucks for the network is worth not being able to eat dinner twice a month in my opinion

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MassRafTer posted:

Doesn't it just reinforce in their minds that they're on the right track?

edit: I've had the network since launch because these 1995 PPVs aren't going to watch themselves.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
has anyone ever made a list of cool poo poo to watch on the Network like the big spreadsheet in the NJPW World thread? I only started watching last year :shobon:

I did watch the MNW and like a couple of random old PPVs, a match list or something would be cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

abraham linksys posted:

has anyone ever made a list of cool poo poo to watch on the Network like the big spreadsheet in the NJPW World thread? I only started watching last year :shobon:

I did watch the MNW and like a couple of random old PPVs, a match list or something would be cool

the problem with the network imo is that a bunch of TV is missing so it's hard to like, follow the build between PPVs except in the 93-96-ish period where they have RAW and Nitro up

if you want a random-rear end PPV that's just a bunch of good matches, try WCW Spring Stampede '94. (any WCW PPV from '89, and the period between Starrcade '93 and the Hogan signing in '94 are good shows)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Network is worth it for NXT, throwing on old PPVs, and watching stuff like Countdown, Monday Night Wars and the documentaries with my fiancée being that she had stopped watching sometime in the mid-90s.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Swagger Dagger posted:

edit: I've had the network since launch because these 1995 PPVs aren't going to watch themselves.

Read what he said again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

Old wrestling is such an interesting time capsule- especially since it as a business is almost always a minimum of two years behind the times.

Like, when the promos for Men on a Mission started running it was "And here's where Vince learned about the rap music that kids were into!"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Read what he said again.

whoops

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
I'm picking up WWF where OSW review leaves off so I'm watching the debut of Raw and wow do I hate this Rob Bartlett guy.

That is one big-butted oriental.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm sure this has been mentioned many times but the new WM30 behind the scenes thing they debuted last night is really excellent. No matter how terrible the product is, stuff like this will always be worth watching.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

MassRafTer posted:

Gonna live in false hope that the good rumble subscriber rate will be attributed to people believing Bryan was winning on his rumble return (and honestly he was built up for the match as much if not more than Reigns).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Gonna live in false hope that the good rumble subscriber rate will be attributed to people believing Bryan was winning on his rumble return (and honestly he was built up for the match as much if not more than Reigns).

But Big Show is too big! He'll throw Reigns out! And he was mean to Ric Flair!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Old wrestling is such an interesting time capsule- especially since it as a business is almost always a minimum of two years behind the times.

Like, when the promos for Men on a Mission started running it was "And here's where Vince learned about the rap music that kids were into!"

I'm working my way up to the debut of Nitro, and everything is terrible but also kind of endearing.

I'm sad they turned Bam Bam Bigelow face because he was one of... maybe 4 interesting guys they had on the roster and he's way lamer when he's not cutting promos on Lawrence Taylor.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Blasmeister posted:

Gonna go with the assumption that it was the Royal Rumble.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

Gonna go with the assumption that it was the Royal Rumble.

Same here. The increase was before the show not afterward. I can't imagine them retaining 1 million in July or October no matter who's on top.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alain Post posted:

the problem with the network imo is that a bunch of TV is missing so it's hard to like, follow the build between PPVs except in the 93-96-ish period where they have RAW and Nitro up

if you want a random-rear end PPV that's just a bunch of good matches, try WCW Spring Stampede '94. (any WCW PPV from '89, and the period between Starrcade '93 and the Hogan signing in '94 are good shows)

Starrcade '89 is pretty dull with its endless JOBBERS OF DOOM tag team matches but yeah 1989 is pretty fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Same here. The increase was before the show not afterward. I can't imagine them retaining 1 million in July or October no matter who's on top.

They didn't hit the million mark until after the Rumble. I doubt it was much of an increase but there was still something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

They didn't hit the million mark until after the Rumble. I doubt it was much of an increase but there was still something.

I would laugh my rear end off if #cancelwwenetwork trending #1 worldwide made a bunch of people go,"What's the WWE Network? Holy poo poo that's a good deal, sign me up!"

Edit: Check it out, they got an App too! And handy instructions on how to install it on my mobile device!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jerusalem posted:

I would laugh my rear end off if #cancelwwenetwork trending #1 worldwide made a bunch of people go,"What's the WWE Network? Holy poo poo that's a good deal, sign me up!"

That was the plan all along :tinfoil:

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Check it out, they got an App too! And handy instructions on how to install it on my mobile device!

I wish someone would show me how to install the app, the entire process confuses me. I know, I'll watch RAW this monday and maybe someone will explain it to me!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arnie being announced for the WWE Hall of Fame was responsible for subscribers hitting 1 million - extremely likely or only mostly likely?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

RZApublican posted:

That was the plan all along :tinfoil:

Maybe it was the :kratos: ILLUMINATI :kratos:

Dunbar posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned many times but the new WM30 behind the scenes thing they debuted last night is really excellent. No matter how terrible the product is, stuff like this will always be worth watching.

It was very good, though mostly reused footage from other specials, including Bryan's. I felt like they could've easily expanded on a lot of the material, especially about Taker and the Streak, and his condition afterward. But what I really wanted to see was how the backstage crew actually prepares for it and works on it, rather than just snippets set to music. Really liked the Charlotte/Sasha/Alexa bit though. They were so excited to be there.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Man there is some weird poo poo on the network.

2014 Special Olympic Games
EXCUSE ME! A Cougar Countdown
Usos 10 Hours to Houston

:psyduck:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Flair going "My daughter made it!" while breaking down in tears was a great moment. :unsmith:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

TheOneTrueKing posted:

I wish someone would show me how to install the app, the entire process confuses me. I know, I'll watch RAW this monday and maybe someone will explain it to me!

King, show him how to download and install the Android version of the app!

*screenshot of iPhone*

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
Yo forreal, I think Warrior said and espoused some harmful and odious stuff, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a little misty-eyed seeing Hogan and Warrior bury the hatchet and both of them choke up a little. This WWE 24 special is awesome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

electric funeral posted:

I'm picking up WWF where OSW review leaves off so I'm watching the debut of Raw and wow do I hate this Rob Bartlett guy.

As far as I can tell Rob Bartlett is the worst commentary person they, or any wrestling promotion, have ever had. Say whatever you want about the current team, you can at least blame their problems on Vince shouting in their ears all the goddamn time. Bartlett just did not belong from day one.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
Also, this "Before they were stars" for the USos has done more to make me like the Uso than the Usos have on TV. Why don't they add this stuff to RAW occasionally? They have 3 drat hours!

It still boggles my mind that reality tv shows can set up characters, ideas and motivations in like 4 minutes and that having 5 times that amount barely does that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Alain Post posted:

if you want a random-rear end PPV that's just a bunch of good matches, try WCW Spring Stampede '94.

just turned this on and it opens with Aaron Neville singing the quietest version of the national anthem ever, so thank you

e: so is Johnny B Badd's gimmick supposed to be "fabulous gay cowboy" or was shooting glitter at the audience supposed to be masculine 20 years ago

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 29, 2015

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Johnny B Badd is basically a spoof of Little Richard, he was meant to be as flamboyant as possible.

But hell, a "macho man" called Randy wore glittery neon rainbow tassels and was totally the straightest of straight men, yessiree. Wrestling's pretty gay camp manly manly very straight manly man stuff, y'all.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SirDippingSauce posted:

Yo forreal, I think Warrior said and espoused some harmful and odious stuff, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a little misty-eyed seeing Hogan and Warrior bury the hatchet and both of them choke up a little. This WWE 24 special is awesome.

I dunno, he said a lot of really hateful poo poo and was unrepentant about it to the very end. Never been a big fan of the idea that we have to ignore who someone was just because they're dead now. This is still the same tool that did that hateful rant in front of college students about how "queerin doesn't make the world work".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3H1zao5_ho&t=262s

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SirDippingSauce posted:

It owns because Hogan totally worked it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

It owns because Hogan totally worked it.

That's because Hogan knows when a work is a work and worked himself into a shoot brother HH

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is the Network not loading any more on-demand stuff, or is it just me?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've just received an email letting me know that February will be free for UK subscribers so that's a result.

I wonder if the US will get a similar deal?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I got the same email in the greatest country in the world and it doesn't say about having to be in the UK.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Latino Pete posted:

I've just received an email letting me know that February will be free for UK subscribers so that's a result.

I wonder if the US will get a similar deal?

Big Dave reported on that this week and it seems likely. Glad I cancelled when I did so now I can get the rest of February for the low price of $0.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Dominican Republic gets a free month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Giving Fast Lane away for free when a load of people who subbed for the rumble would have gotten it anyway is probably a reasonable move. you don't lose out on much business and incentivise the new subscribers to stay on afterwards because the next billing period covers mania. Plus it's not like Fast Lane would pull in many new people on its own.