Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Len posted:

Wickedhate was pro-gamers in gamergate. Just let it go.

It's actually about ethics in baby immolating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No no, don't gloss over this. Explain how electing someone who is slightly more conservative than his predecessors is "just as bad" as murdering 300,000 people, many of whom were raped to death.

I was equating denying the war crimes, not the war crimes themselves, but that particular president has not only denied war crimes too, but also started a whole war where those things happen on an average basis every year. Which doesn't excuse his successor either, frankly. Most governments are horribly corrupt regardless of who's in charge, you just gotta try and get the best you can, and even then probably every G7/8 leader in history has signed off on some truly awful stuff. Some are just better at hiding it then others and may also do positive stuff.

This is a bad place to talk about politics. I shouldn't have said anything, it just makes me cringe when Japan gets singled out like it's unique in the bad things it does. It's not calling out Japan that I dislike, just that attitude of "Oh, Japan!".

Len posted:

Wickedhate was pro-gamers in gamergate. Just let it go.

Only at the begining! I made it very clear I dropped out quickly. I'm much closer to being a social justice warrior then anything.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Jan 28, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

I was equating denying the war crimes, not the war crimes themselves, but that particular president has not only denied war crimes too, but also started a whole war where those things happen on an average basis every year. Which doesn't excuse his successor either, frankly. Most governments are horribly corrupt regardless of who's in charge, you just gotta try and get the best you can, and even then probably every G7/8 leader in history has signed off on some truly awful stuff. Some are just better at hiding it then others and may also do positive stuff.

This is a bad place to talk about politics. I shouldn't have said anything, it just makes me cringe when Japan gets singled out like it's unique in the bad things it does.

Only at the begining! I made it very clear I dropped out quickly.

Yeah buddy everybody's equally bad! Please ignore this picture of a baby who has been set on fire I am not good with computers
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/BattleOfShanghaiBaby.gif[img]

WickedHate posted:

I'm much closer to being a social justice warrior then anything.
Hahahha go gently caress yourself with a japanese infantryman's baby-kebab

Somebody has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Jan 28, 2015

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

WickedHate posted:

I was equating denying the war crimes, not the war crimes themselves, but that particular president has not only denied war crimes too, but also started a whole war where those things happen on an average basis every year.

holy poo poo we rape 300,000 people to death every year and then make cute cartoons about it??

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

:nws: People who didn't cut their carbon emissions by 10% :nws: Had a lot of money behind it and was going to be shown in cinemas before it got pulled after it was shown on their website.

Nuanced depictions of China by - Politicians and Sales Lead companies at the Superbowl , both of which got backlash for obvious reasons.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Zenephant posted:

:nws: People who didn't cut their carbon emissions by 10% :nws: Had a lot of money behind it and was going to be shown in cinemas before it got pulled after it was shown on their website.
Oh wow. Up until the end I thought this was an anti-environmentalist parody.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

misguided rage posted:

Oh wow. Up until the end I thought this was an anti-environmentalist parody.

Seriously, it's impressive a good collection of people thought that was a great idea.

The comments are hilarious though, bunch of nutjobs who think this is the actual plan of... somebody. Gonna guess The Liberals.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Not necessarily a dumb move, but one of the most physically disgusting commercials I've ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWasVhqe7V4 GoDaddy.com circa 2013 Superbowl

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Not necessarily a dumb move, but one of the most physically disgusting commercials I've ever seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWasVhqe7V4 GoDaddy.com circa 2013 Superbowl

Weren't there two versions of that commercial that played at different times during the game?

Definitely awkward.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

That guy is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdEBu7ODVk8

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

(context: Mortdecai is Johnny Depp`s latest movie which bombed hard at the theaters)
I`m gonna chalk this up partially to bad marketing cause I never even heard of the movie until MSJ posted this in the funny pictures thread.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's allegedly part of an ad agency's plan for Domino's upcoming break into the Sriracha market.

If they call the pizza The Dominatrix I'll buy the first 10.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Away all Goats posted:

(context: Mortdecai is Johnny Depp`s latest movie which bombed hard at the theaters)
I`m gonna chalk this up partially to bad marketing cause I never even heard of the movie until MSJ posted this in the funny pictures thread.

Lionsgate actually thought it'd be the next Pink Panther, because it was Johnny Depp with a silly moustache and people made fun of his moustache and hahahaha.

Apparently it was not totally appalling or anything, but it's very much a generic latter day Johnny Depp movie and also it's January so who cares about what's in theaters.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc they reduced the rape of Nanking into a gag.

That is not funny at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wonder if right now in Japan there are shut-ins writing up angry posts about Time Squad doing an episode about Sitting Bull or Peabody and Sherman making jokes about the French Revolution.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sleeveless posted:

I wonder if right now in Japan there are shut-ins writing up angry posts about Time Squad doing an episode about Sitting Bull or Peabody and Sherman making jokes about the French Revolution.

While I don't think these examples are all that analogous with Hetalia, probably yeah.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Go daddy miscalculated how much people care about fictional TV puppies: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/godaddy-super-bowl-commercial-puppy

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zero One posted:

Go daddy miscalculated how much people care about fictional TV puppies: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/godaddy-super-bowl-commercial-puppy

People really don't take kindly to seeing animals treated as disposable on tv.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Things are different when atrocities are within living memory though. There's people sitting out there right now who actually lived through the Rape of Nanking. Goes for WWII in general. 30 years from now you'll see much more stupid and openly comical WWII poo poo, because everyone who lived through it will be dead.

Sucrose has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Jan 28, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sucrose posted:

Things are different when atrocities are within living memory though. There's people sitting out there right now who actually lived through the Rape of Nanking. Goes for WWII in general. 30 years from now you'll see much more stupid and openly comical WWII poo poo, because everyone who lived through it will be dead.

Yeah, I sure do like all the openly stupid and comical jokes people make about how we beat the krauts in the Great War, even though they used that mustard gas.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Tim Whatley posted:

It's allegedly part of an ad agency's plan for Domino's upcoming break into the Sriracha market.

If they call the pizza The Dominatrix I'll buy the first 10.

So... Wait, there's a ball gag so the tongue has it's own mouth? :psyduck:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Advertising to the very limited Chosen One market.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

On a slightly less disturbing note, British channel uses song about taking cocaine to advertise sports. :britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84838260&v=ebK9pFX-BqA&x-yt-ts=1422327029

Ferrosol has a new favorite as of 11:06 on Jan 28, 2015

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Fractals are some scary poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Lionsgate actually thought it'd be the next Pink Panther, because it was Johnny Depp with a silly moustache and people made fun of his moustache and hahahaha.

Apparently it was not totally appalling or anything, but it's very much a generic latter day Johnny Depp movie and also it's January so who cares about what's in theaters.

From the trailer it just looked like one of the endless parade of "bumbling idiot somehow makes good" comedies. We'll probably wind up seeing it because my mother has a major Depp fetish.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you buy hosting from GoDaddy, occasionally they'll call you up to see how things are going with it, and I always tell them I'm very satisfied with the product but their commercials are horrible. Their response is always "Ha ha, yeah, we get that a lot!"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you buy hosting from GoDaddy, occasionally they'll call you up to see how things are going with it, and I always tell them I'm very satisfied with the product but their commercials are horrible. Their response is always "Ha ha, yeah, we get that a lot!"

I think they're one of those companies that makes awful commercials on purpose so they go viral. Not the worst idea, either, given that their product is webhosting. Probably a better way to reach their target audience than just putting competent but unremarkable commercials on the TV. Cheaper, too, since the TV campaigns only last long enough to generate controversy.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Mar 31, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Zero One posted:

This commercial is great.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

It was mentioned earlier, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEDwr5iw0mg

An athlete, in Nike shoes, outruns JASON loving VORHEES!

Supposedly it made her look weak because she ran away from the killer. She didn't stay and fight, you know, an immortal unstoppable killer with a kill-count in the hundreds.

One of the groups protesting it asked: "Would a man have run?"

Yes. Yes they would.

Because... JASON!

It was a big loving controversy for weeks after it came out.

That's the one! More of a Michael Myers/Leatherface pastiche, but given it opens alluding to Psycho's shower scene I'm sure the point was to evoke all the major horror films a wide demographic would recognize. I remember seeing it the first time around and thought it was amazing because she got away by her own skill and speed (aided by Nike), something that breaks the horror movie rules. Even the killer is just like "gently caress it."

I never understood what upset people so much. I could see more uptight folks disliking the opening shower scene, but somehow I think it goes deeper than that.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wasn't Hetalia originally made as a parody? I remember reading somewhere that the creator said "I'm going to make the most offensive and ridiculous thing I can, and there's no way people will miss the gag" then everybody missed the gag and he was kinda just rolling in money at that point so he kept going with it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

That's the one! More of a Michael Myers/Leatherface pastiche, but given it opens alluding to Psycho's shower scene I'm sure the point was to evoke all the major horror films a wide demographic would recognize. I remember seeing it the first time around and thought it was amazing because she got away by her own skill and speed (aided by Nike), something that breaks the horror movie rules. Even the killer is just like "gently caress it."

I never understood what upset people so much. I could see more uptight folks disliking the opening shower scene, but somehow I think it goes deeper than that.

It's a pretty good ad. People really seemed to overreact here, which is ashame, because it's one of the rare ads with women in it that isn't unbelievably sexist.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Zero One posted:

"Banned" Super Bowl commercials are a really ingenious way of getting tons of publicity without actually having to pay for Super Bowl adspace.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

WickedHate posted:

It's a pretty good ad. People really seemed to overreact here, which is ashame, because it's one of the rare ads with women in it that isn't unbelievably sexist.

The fact that a lot of American are more willing to accept puppies are people with feelings than women isn't surprising.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Decrepus posted:

This commercial is great.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this.

Compared to the Budweiser commercial it's even more funny.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

13Pandora13 posted:

The fact that a lot of American are more willing to accept puppies are people with feelings than women isn't surprising.

Nobody cares when 20- to 50-year-old humans get mistreated in fiction, regardless of gender. If you so much as touch a friendly dog, or even a robot, God help you.

I haven't watched the commercial, but why are people assuming it's a puppy mill as opposed to a normal breeder? This does seem like GoDaddy is exploiting the Streisand Effect to get out of paying for Superbowl ad space.

VendaGoat posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this.

Compared to the Budweiser commercial it's even more funny.

At this point, Budweiser could put out the funniest Superbowl ad ever and no one would laugh because no one would be paying attention. They'd get a lot more sales by not running an ad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dpbjinc posted:

Nobody cares when 20- to 50-year-old humans get mistreated in fiction, regardless of gender. If you so much as touch a friendly dog, or even a robot, God help you.

I haven't watched the commercial, but why are people assuming it's a puppy mill as opposed to a normal breeder? This does seem like GoDaddy is exploiting the Streisand Effect to get out of paying for Superbowl ad space.

It's still cruel when it shows the puppy trying so hard to get home just to find out it's been sold. Like, that's the intent.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

dpbjinc posted:

At this point, Budweiser could put out the funniest Superbowl ad ever and no one would laugh because no one would be paying attention. They'd get a lot more sales by not running an ad.

It's like coke and Pepsi dude.

Honestly, who, In America, hasn't heard of; Coke, Pepsi, Miller, Coors or Budweiser?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

WickedHate posted:

It's still cruel when it shows the puppy trying so hard to get home just to find out it's been sold. Like, that's the intent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQXQGaasUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

dpbjinc posted:

It's why we apparently need a website for it even. https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Although I think they're rather severely downplaying what actually happened in this film: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/78935