Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I'm planning my first buy into a 30k Alpha Legion army and am a little overwhelmed by the number of available units there are. I'm definitely grabbing the Praetors kit and like 30 Tactical Marines to make a couple squads out of for starters; what else is a good basic thing to have? I was thinking maybe a volkite Tactical Support Squad in a Rhino, or maybe a Mortis Contemptor with 2 assault cannons. I'd really like some Lernaean Terminators but they don't have models yet so I guess I'll wait on them. Also, any suggestions on units worth stealing with the AL rite of war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I was going to complain about the Ghost Ark then I realized that it has 2 Gauss Flayer Arrays, that have Independent Targeting, Salvo 5/10 ( which doesn't matter since it's a vehicle so it's always 10). Mainly because again, Warrior squads are 10 models minimum, and Immortals cannot take the Ghost Ark as a Dedicated, but then I realized it was a AV13 just gun boat for 105 points.

They did gently caress up though and make it 10 models, so you can never actually join a Character to a Warrior squad and have him start in a Ghost Ark which is kind of lovely and dumb.

Oh Wow,

Triarch Stalkers are excellent now.

Unit size - 1- 3
125 points
Heat Ray
Quantum Shielding
Living Metal
Move through Cover

Targeting Array

All friendly non-vehicle units with in 6 inches of at least 1 Triarch Stalker add 1 to their ballistic skill. Unless they are making Snap Shots.

Options
Particle Shredder
Twin Linked Heavy Gauss Cannon

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 28, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

I was going to complain about the Ghost Ark then I realized that it has 2 Gauss Flayer Arrays, that have Independent Targeting, Salvo 5/10 ( which doesn't matter since it's a vehicle so it's always 10). Mainly because again, Warrior squads are 10 models minimum, and Immortals cannot take the Ghost Ark as a Dedicated, but then I realized it was a AV13 just gun boat for 105 points.

They did gently caress up though and make it 10 models, so you can never actually join a Character to a Warrior squad and have him start in a Ghost Ark which is kind of lovely and dumb.

The defenses on the model got better, the weapons got better, and it's cheaper than before. I'll take that I can't put a Cryptek in there now, especially since they're no longer the cheap special weapons platform they were before. Almost everything about the new codex is either a huge buff or a side-grade. Minor issues can totally be accepted because the thing looks like it owns metal bones.

Considering the original was mid-to-top tier competitively, this thing is really looking like its on the level of Tau and Eldar now. All hail non-Imperial forces!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I was unenthused when I read that then was like Oh wait it's a AV 13 Objective Secured , 20 Gauss shot gun boat.

Triarch Stalkers are an excellent choice now. Their Vehicle Squadron so 4 inch Coherency and give a 6 inch bubble of +1 Ballistic and AV13 all around, plus living metal.

Two Triarch STalkers
3 H. Destroyers
400 points on the nose.

2 Heat Rays
3 Las Cannons that are Ballistic 5 Preferred Enemy and can Jump Shoot Jump from behind them.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 28, 2015

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Renfield posted:

It's next to useless - the 'Prismatic Blur' 12" a turn movement means you'd only get a better move on average dice on turn 5 or more, flip belts already ignore terrain; extra attacks are ok, but hes got 6 already so not that big a bonus

That's not true? 4d6" movement should average 14", though obviously it's possible to roll lower. Blitz also lets you move over impassible terrain and enemy units, whereas the Flip Belt does not.

Mango Polo posted:

So based on the Wraithflight wording... I guess they can charge into cover without any penalty, making the whipcoils (+3I) very sweet?

I don't believe they can- it was worded the same way before but they were still slowed down, and similar wordings for other units and unit types have worked the same way.

Hollismason posted:

Oh man just realized how awesome Deathmarks are now, Yay an actual defense against Centurionstar.

Maybe I'm not seeing it- how do Deathmarks help against Centstar? They get to "intercept" them when the Gate over near you, but they still have to deal with Invisibility and/or Shrouding on the unit and their "wound on a 2+" is a one-use thing now.

PierreTheMime posted:

The defenses on the model got better, the weapons got better, and it's cheaper than before. I'll take that I can't put a Cryptek in there now, especially since they're no longer the cheap special weapons platform they were before. Almost everything about the new codex is either a huge buff or a side-grade. Minor issues can totally be accepted because the thing looks like it owns metal bones.

Considering the original was mid-to-top tier competitively, this thing is really looking like its on the level of Tau and Eldar now. All hail non-Imperial forces!

It's definitely better than the other 7E books by a long stretch, but I wouldn't call it anywhere near Tau, Eldar, Space Marines, Tyranids, or Imperial Guard (which are basically the top-tier codices right now.) The three units that the old Necron book was relying on- Command Barges, Annihilation Barges, and Night Scythes- all got SIGNIFICANTLY worse in several ways each, from price to upgrades to firepower. Doesn't make them useless, and it was probably good for game balance overall, but it means that their most powerful options have been cut out from under them. There's a number of other good options in the book that look to be more than useable, but no "zomg broken" options that are gonna push the army to the top of the tournament meta and most of the army's best ways of dealing with the top armies (especially Wave Serpents, Flyrants, and White Scars) are gone.

Wraiths are good, but they're just 3+ saves at the end of the day. Loss of Haywire and AP1 on Warscythes mean Knights are a bigger problem than ever before. No good delivery vehicles means that even though Lychguard are pretty good, they likely won't matter. There don't look to be very many garbage units in the codex, which is nice to see, but as I've said before, GW's "rebalancing" issues are all gonna be for naught so long as the Big Five still exist in their current form.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

AbusePuppy posted:

Maybe I'm not seeing it- how do Deathmarks help against Centstar? They get to "intercept" them when the Gate over near you, but they still have to deal with Invisibility and/or Shrouding on the unit and their "wound on a 2+" is a one-use thing now.

They only help against the drop pod variety which is the kind I'm constantly facing. Not the standard normal style, also it only works in the movement phase so no deep striking then shooting demons that were summoned.

http://valientesguerreros.blogspot.com/

Some more leaked images Triarch stalker etc..

AbusePuppy posted:

It's definitely better than the other 7E books by a long stretch, but I wouldn't call it anywhere near Tau, Eldar, Space Marines, Tyranids, or Imperial Guard (which are basically the top-tier codices right now.) The three units that the old Necron book was relying on- Command Barges, Annihilation Barges, and Night Scythes- all got SIGNIFICANTLY worse in several ways each, from price to upgrades to firepower. Doesn't make them useless, and it was probably good for game balance overall, but it means that their most powerful options have been cut out from under them. There's a number of other good options in the book that look to be more than useable, but no "zomg broken" options that are gonna push the army to the top of the tournament meta and most of the army's best ways of dealing with the top armies (especially Wave Serpents, Flyrants, and White Scars) are gone.

Wraiths are good, but they're just 3+ saves at the end of the day. Loss of Haywire and AP1 on Warscythes mean Knights are a bigger problem than ever before. No good delivery vehicles means that even though Lychguard are pretty good, they likely won't matter. There don't look to be very many garbage units in the codex, which is nice to see, but as I've said before, GW's "rebalancing" issues are all gonna be for naught so long as the Big Five still exist in their current form.

The points actually come out to about the same if you still want to do the old Barge Lord, Lots of Fliers, Wraiths, Annihilation Barges.

The increased durability of the Wraiths I feel nets you a few more points and more wounds.

6 Wraiths 5th edition 12 T4 Wounds 210
5 Wraiths (42ppm correct?) 7th edition 10 T5 Wounds 210

Bargelord (5th ) , base cost : 170
Bargelord (7th) , Base Cost : 135

Destroyer Lord 5th : 125
Destroyer Lord 7th : 110

Nightscythes 5th 100
Nightscythes 7th (130? or 140)

Minimum Troop cost Warriors (5th) : 65
Minimum Troop cost Immortals (7th) : 85

Annihilation Barge 5th : 90
Annihilation Barge 7th : 120

I mean the same troops and costs are there, you'd have to shift some points but really the old Cronair / Wraithwing still sort of works with all the point shifts.

As for dealing with Flyers, well Tomb Blades are pretty amazing. Twin Linked Gauss and the point value they have is insane.

20 Twin Linked Gauss at ST5 AP4 , that ignores cover, will statistically strip points from Wave Serpents, and will kill Flyers that are not swooping. Meanwhile their immune to the shooting from those two units, they've got a 3+, 5++, T5.

The math get's better if you add in a Destroyer Lord, but not by much.

Biker armies are going to be kind of tough there's not a lot of AP3 Flamer template weapons.

High Toughness models with Shrouding are going to be difficult like T7+.

The amount of MSU the army can put out with the Decurion Detachment is pretty good as well. It sounds weird but the fact that's a option is pretty good , in tournaments that aren't using kill points.

Also, depends if people let you use the Decurion.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 28, 2015

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Hollismason posted:

They only help against the drop pod variety which is the kind I'm constantly facing. Not the standard normal style, also it only works in the movement phase so no deep striking then shooting demons that were summoned.
Fair enough. I see the "Draigo + Cents + Sevrin Loth + Librarian" version more often around here, but I'm sure that varies from place to place.

quote:

The points actually come out to about the same if you still want to do the old Barge Lord, Lots of Fliers, Wraiths, Annihilation Barges.

The increased durability of the Wraiths I feel nets you a few more points and more wounds.
The CCB is definitely significantly cheaper, but it lost Sweep Attack, can't ignore Stunned results (due to changes in Living Metal), and won't have the 2+/3++ defenses anymore. He's got a few other advantages (RP being more useful in a lot of ways now, etc) but overall those guys aren't half as scary as they were a week ago, although to be fair they're much less bullshit now.

Wraiths are a bit better (no more being ID'd by S8/9 weapons), but their main problem was and still is being ground down by normal guns. T5 will help with that some, though, and they remain a fairly good unit that basically just got slightly better. Whip Coils took a nerf, though.

quote:

As for dealing with Flyers, well Tomb Blades are pretty amazing. Twin Linked Gauss and the point value they have is insane.

20 Twin Linked Gauss at ST5 AP4 , that ignores cover, will statistically strip points from Wave Serpents, and will kill Flyers that are not swooping. Meanwhile their immune to the shooting from those two units, they've got a 3+, 5++, T5.
The thing is, killing flyers/FMCs on the ground is not the problem, killing them in the air is and Necrons lost most of their best tools for doing that. Night Scythes still do alright in that respect, but I don't think they're enough on their own (and especially not when facing 3-5 Flyrants.)

I think there's definitely some solid stuff in the book and they actually boosted up most (though not quite all) of the weaker units so that they are actually useable, which is good to see. Sadly, C'tan and Monoliths still look like garbage, but most other stuff seems to be at least playable. Nine Lychguard and a Cryptek is a fairly badass unit that can put severe damage on most things it fights and isn't too expensive for that many bodies, either (290pts).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Barge Lords did lose some power but gained the +1 WS +1BS that they really needed.

Also

7th Edition Bargelord

Bargelord w/ Wraithscythe (15points is what I've heard), Nightmare Shroud (35) , Solar Thermasite (25)?, Phylactery (15).

2+ Armour Save
Reroll failed saving throws of a 1
5+ It Will not Die
5+ Ressurection Protocol
ST 8 Warscythe

Total : 210

What was the cost of the older decked out Bargelord , I think mine sometimes pushed upward of 245 to 260.

Here's the big question if the Barge Lord is treated as one model I wonder if Solar Thermasite increases the ST of the Tesla Gun on a Barge Lord.

Flyrant's eventually have to go to Gliding mode.

I'd have to see the statistics on a Flyrant versus a squad of Tomb Blades w/ Ignore Cover Gauss Blasters. Oh and someone did suggest the Aegis Defense line with Quad Guns manned by Tomb Blades with Nebuloscopes to kill Flyers.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 28, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DO IT TO IT posted:

I'm planning my first buy into a 30k Alpha Legion army and am a little overwhelmed by the number of available units there are. I'm definitely grabbing the Praetors kit and like 30 Tactical Marines to make a couple squads out of for starters; what else is a good basic thing to have? I was thinking maybe a volkite Tactical Support Squad in a Rhino, or maybe a Mortis Contemptor with 2 assault cannons. I'd really like some Lernaean Terminators but they don't have models yet so I guess I'll wait on them. Also, any suggestions on units worth stealing with the AL rite of war?

No kidding dude. There are lots of options. Contemptor with a pair of assault canons, autocanons, or lascanons arms is a solid choice. Make sure to get an apothacary or two for your squads. A support squad in a rhino with magnetized arms (flamers, plasma, or volkites) is also a decent choice.

Good units to steal: Iron Havocs, Siege Terminators, Gal Vorbak, Pyroclasts, Dark Fury Assault Squads, Mor Deythan, Gorgons, Immortals.

Just depends on your style of play.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

BULBASAUR posted:

No kidding dude. There are lots of options. Contemptor with a pair of assault canons, autocanons, or lascanons arms is a solid choice. Make sure to get an apothacary or two for your squads. A support squad in a rhino with magnetized arms (flamers, plasma, or volkites) is also a decent choice.

Good units to steal: Iron Havocs, Siege Terminators, Gal Vorbak, Pyroclasts, Dark Fury Assault Squads, Mor Deythan, Gorgons, Immortals.

Just depends on your style of play.

Good call on the apothecaries, I hadn't thought of that. It's definitely nice that you can take 1-3. I tend to like a melee focus while leaving the shooting to tanks and dreads, so I'll probably try to build into something along those lines over time. I may have to steal a Dark Fury squad in that case because they seem pretty nice. At the same time though, I'm trying to come up with idea that take advantage of the Alpha Legion rules.

One thing I'm unsure on that someone here might know: are Headhunter Kill Teams any good? I don't quite see the use of them. Without any context, I feel like Seekers seem better.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Has there been any info on Tomb Spyders? Cheaper, Better, Same, Worse?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

TKIY posted:

If you are playing these guys, hope they don't roll 6s.

Oh mother gently caress yes!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Tequila Ranger posted:

Has there been any info on Tomb Spyders? Cheaper, Better, Same, Worse?

Supposedly they are pretty much exactly the same, although I think they can't be taken in squads? Not positive about that. The formation for them lets you pick Fleet, Shred, or Reanimation Protocols for all the Canoptek guys within 12" of the Spyder once per turn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would be strange if they changed their squad size now wouldn't it? I've read nothing on the unit entry no leaks images etc..

Read the rules for Fabricator Array that's bout it.

Someone asked that exact question in this thread

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/48760/new-necrons-codex?page=17

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Do bargelords have access to the same wargear others have? I recall a not-stormshield option that might work since it says does not have a line excluding barges like the other invuln item. Maybe that shield is on a different list.

There is also a not-stealth upgrade for vehicles, so jink and that is 3+ cover.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yes, Bargelords have access to all the Wargear items, however it specifically states on the item that gives them a 4++ that it does not extend to the Barge. However the Barge does get It Will not Die from Phylactery.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Do bargelords have access to the same wargear others have? I recall a not-stormshield option that might work since it says does not have a line excluding barges like the other invuln item. Maybe that shield is on a different list.

There is also a not-stealth upgrade for vehicles, so jink and that is 3+ cover.
It seems a bit wonky that they would have a wargear option that specifically prevents use with the CCB... and then also let Lords have access to a better option. I'd gamble it is either, like you note, on a different list, or it will simply not be an option for a Lord on a Barge, like Mega-Armor for a Biker Boss.

I'm mostly waiting for confirmation on how many shots a C'tan fires. It makes the C'tan vary from awful to decent. Also, the exact text on Quantum Shielding, just to see with my own eyes a million Gaunts cry out in horror.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Need some help: I'm wrapping up my dark admech detachment, and I want some cool looking cyber famliars/servo skulls. Anybody here have any interesting ideas on how to pull that off? I've been trying to find something that works and have been stumped.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Less grumpy robit talk, more space clown talk please.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

The Dispersion Shield (which gives a 3++) is only available to Lychguard. Likewise, Shadowlooms (which give Stealth) appear to be for Tomb Blades only.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I thought the lychguard shield was on a list that crypteks got as well. But it is possible that overlords dont get tp pick from it. At least that makes sense based on their fuling for the 4++. I wonder if the destroyer lords will get access to 4++ or the 2+.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I thought the lychguard shield was on a list that crypteks got as well. But it is possible that overlords dont get tp pick from it. At least that makes sense based on their fuling for the 4++. I wonder if the destroyer lords will get access to 4++ or the 2+.

They do things like put something in a a big list of equipment and then put*

*can only be chosen by Militarum Tempestus squads

or whatever. So everything ends up being in the proper equipment list even if it's only ever an option for one unit. It's consistent but in a really dumb way that clutters it up when you're trying to look at what other units can take.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Harlequin Troupe £24 for 6, Solitaire £16. It doesn't look like the Death Jester or Shadow Weaver can be made from the standard Troupe box, so I'd guess there will be a second release the following week, maybe with the new vehicle?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 28, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Death Jester already has a model at the moment, it might not get a new one. Same for the Shadow Weaver.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Shadowseer, oops :) Ah yes, so they do. Finecast though, so hopefully they might also get an update to plastic. Then there's room for a Great Harlequin and a Mime, plus Jetbikes, although those last 3 are pure wishlist.

I guess I'm just hoping that this release does really well and prompts GW to make a Genestealer Cult release.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just compulsively pulled the trigger on a box of Wraiths with the accompanying paints I need to do a nice dark blue Necron force.

FML.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think if I wanted to run necrons, I'd paint them bronze or gold and blue. Try to emulate the look of Tutankhamun's death mask.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 28, 2015

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Someone in this thread had awesome bronze and turquoise Necrons a while back. Germ maybe?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Something I've thought about doing is getting a box of each faction's basic troops and try to come up with a neat color scheme. And just for something to do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Star Man posted:

I think if I wanted to run necrons, I'd paint them bronze or gold and blue. Try to emulate the look of Tutankhamun's death mask.

Don't forget to use liberal amounts of epoxy resin, and just scrape the excess off :v:

Star Man posted:

Something I've thought about doing is getting a box of each faction's basic troops and try to come up with a neat color scheme. And just for something to do.

That's an unbound army, call it the Galactic Peace Corps, forge that narrative :getin:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 28, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

NTRabbit posted:

Don't forget to use liberal amounts of epoxy resin, and just scrape the excess off :v:

I don't get it :downs:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Someone in this thread had awesome bronze and turquoise Necrons a while back. Germ maybe?

Can't remember the poster, but yeah that was a cool color scheme. Stippled turquoise with bronze.

e.:
Stalkers are cheaper by 15 points (125), TL heavy gauss is cheaper by 5 (10), they come in squadrons and the formation is pretty good.
Spyders are the same price but the upgrades are cheaper (TL particle beamer is just 15 now) though scarab farm is dead.
Wraiths are wraiths.

I'm still thinking about the Canoptek Harvest formation.
The spyder needs to be within 12" to confer the perks to the scarabs and wraiths, which is pretty drat limiting.

This is a wonderful time for canoptek fuckery :allears:

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 28, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Star Man posted:

I don't get it :downs:

http://io9.com/king-tuts-burial-mask-has-been-irreversibly-damaged-1681085211

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 28, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Holy poo poo.

And it seems like they are now Beasts. God drat.

What's the point of 3 points for an upgrade that everyone will take automatically? Just include it in the cost and be done with it.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

So the entry at the bottom... What's a "Starweaver"?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Probably open-topped, maybe assault.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I have a pile of Harlequins that badly need some paint: those are all brand new models. Topknot phobists beware.

The Starweaver is likely just a new name for the Venom. Which is a Venom before that was a Dark Eldar transport at all or had a model.

White Dwarf recommended making something like this many years ago:

Probably something like this:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

ijyt posted:

Probably open-topped, maybe assault.

Open-topped always counts as assault.

I wonder if Hellions as a bodyguard for a Solitaire wouldn't be a complete waste of points. I desperately need an excuse to field some.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

The solitaire must be alone, so they would not be a bodyguard in the sense as you might expect. You could buble wrap your guys around it to prevent an unwanted asault but the bonus cover would not do anything for it because of 3++.

But if you want helions I'm sure there are people who have ideas ohn how to field them now adays without the expensive friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

The solitaire must be alone, so they would not be a bodyguard in the sense as you might expect. You could buble wrap your guys around it to prevent an unwanted asault but the bonus cover would not do anything for it because of 3++.

But if you want helions I'm sure there are people who have ideas ohn how to field them now adays without the expensive friend.

Rage.

• Locked thread