Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is uBlock going to have a better way to manipulate filter settings anytime soon? A few of my filters that work great in ABP cause weird changes to sites in uBlock, and it's very hard to troubleshoot when you all get is that big ol plain text list in the settings page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is uBlock going to have a better way to manipulate filter settings anytime soon? A few of my filters that work great in ABP cause weird changes to sites in uBlock, and it's very hard to troubleshoot when you all get is that big ol plain text list in the settings page.

Go ask the dev at his Github page.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now that there's a better version of AdBlock, is there a better replacement for No Scripts?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What's your beef with No Scripts,? it's pretty drat perfect in my eyes. There are alternatives sure, such as RequestPolicy and that may give you more control over what gets through, but comes at a greater cost of "pain in the rear end to configure".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Eh, more robust synching would be nice. I thought I'd set it up, but it isn't working. Also, a way to permanently allow special fonts would be nice.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

What's your beef with No Scripts,? it's pretty drat perfect in my eyes. There are alternatives sure, such as RequestPolicy and that may give you more control over what gets through, but comes at a greater cost of "pain in the rear end to configure".

I was having some weird poo poo happen where I kept having to reset my permissions for the past two days. But I've restarted in safe mode and now things are working again. For the moment.

Looks like it's about time to refresh my profile again.

\/\/Hey, thanks!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 27, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Now that there's a better version of AdBlock, is there a better replacement for No Scripts?

Kind of. This is in fact very closely tied up with uBlock:

The dev of uBlock originally made it as a dumbed down, more focussed version of another Chrome extension, uMatrix (formerly called httpSwitchboard).

It uses the same technology underneath, but gives incredible firewall-type control over all the content the browser is loading.
A great deal of overlap with NoScript, obviously.

I suggest you go check out the Chrome version of that and see if the features do what you get from noscript currently.

Porting uBlock to FF is an obvious first step to porting the full featureset of uMatrix - not sure if that's the plan at present, though I'm sure if you ask nicely, maybe donate to the dev, he'll think about it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Do we know if uBlock will update itself automatically since it's being installed outside of Mozilla Add-Ons?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
What's a good plugin for downloading youtubes that isn't some form of spyware

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Instead of a plugin, you can always use the youtube-dl script! Command line is scary to people but I promise it's easy to use.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
DownloadHelper is pretty good for grabbing videos and other media.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

DownloadHelper is pretty good for grabbing videos and other media.

I've had better luck with the awkwardly-named Download Flash and Video for most sites, but for YouTube I use http://savedeo.com/ since it's the only thing I've found that can download the 1080p versions (though you have to manually stitch the video and audio tracks together at your end). Hopefully neither are evil.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

gently caress this page. Causes this. This was just that link and the forums, 2 tabs.

This is on a machine with 8GB RAM, but still, gently caress.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Any particular reason everyone is leaping off the Adblock Plus train? Is the new add-on just generally better, or does it turn out that ABP secretly fills everyone's PC with spiders or something and I just managed to miss the news post?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ostensibly better w/r/t resource consumption and browser responsiveness.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

YggiDee posted:

Any particular reason everyone is leaping off the Adblock Plus train? Is the new add-on just generally better, or does it turn out that ABP secretly fills everyone's PC with spiders or something and I just managed to miss the news post?

ABP has a known issue where it injects a lot of stylesheets and things per page (including iframes, which is why that vim page can kill a Firefox session). This has been known for a long time, and it's not like the ABP devs are unaware of it. There's a firefox feature request for sharing resources between pages that's been open for years that would solve this, but it's not really going anywhere. Everyone has just lived with it because ABP is a much, much lesser evil than the crap it's blocking.

I haven't jumped ship myself, yet, but if ublock does almost everything ABP does at significantly lower resources I will. Just waiting to see if other people find that ublock has its own spiders.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been using uBlock in Firefox since the first test was released in the bugtracker and I haven't had any issues at all. In fact, its much better at handling popups than ABP has been for me. It just works and I am fine with that.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

YggiDee posted:

It's worth noting that uBlock is using the exact same filter lists as ABP, and is fully compatible with them.

Writing and maintaining those lists is a huge part of the task, and neither extension is worth much without good subscriptions.

uBlock just applies them in a very different way, that dramatically lowers resource usage, and makes the browser feel snappier to me.

The underlying browser technology has been updated tons in the last few years, and now provides a way more efficient way to block things, which uBlock takes advantage of.

ABP does things the old way

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Flash block still doesn't work on youtube but does work on embedded youtube vids.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I don't get worked up about it, but it does kinda weird me out that ABP turned into a quasi-extortion scheme. Having more ad blocker options out there will be a good thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

xamphear posted:

ABP turned into a quasi-extortion scheme.

Wait, what?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hooah posted:

Wait, what?
Companies can pay the author to have their ads whitelisted, subject to certain restrictions. You can disable that by unchecking "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" in Filter Preferences.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
That the whitelist is opt out is the lovely part that makes it extortion. I'm not using uBlock until it's more stable, but I'm not going to support AdBlock Plus for that poo poo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
EasyList also comes with its own whitelist, which doesn't have a convenient means of removing all of them at once. NoScript picks up the slack, but I've had to manually remove one or two from the whitelist over the past year.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Freakazoid_ posted:

EasyList also comes with its own whitelist, which doesn't have a convenient means of removing all of them at once. NoScript picks up the slack, but I've had to manually remove one or two from the whitelist over the past year.

Seriously? Oh for fucks sake, it does, and it's a huge list of @@ entries.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wooger posted:

It's worth noting that uBlock is using the exact same filter lists as ABP, and is fully compatible with them.

I wouldn't say that. I'm still having issues with using the same filter set from ABP in uBlock, namely with uBlock seeming to over-interpret some rules.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Well, I'm a fan of uBlock so far. It feels as lightweight as Bluhell Firewall but works better and actually has options. Thanks for bringing it up in the thread.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Freakazoid_ posted:

xamphear posted:

Seriously? Oh for fucks sake, it does, and it's a huge list of @@ entries.
Those are workarounds for incorrectly blocked items and sites that don't work with the basic ad- or tracking-blocking filters.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 28, 2015

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alereon posted:

Those are workarounds for incorrectly blocked items and sites that don't work with the basic ad- or tracking-blocking filters.

That's what they want you to believe!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is avast still removing extensions?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is avast still removing extensions?
I removed it from the title because Avast! supposedly fixed the issue with Browser Cleanup, but I wouldn't be too surprised if false positives happened again.

Also, now taking nominations for a new thread title.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alereon posted:

Also, now taking nominations for a new thread title.

The Firefox Thread: Are We Chrome Yet?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

xamphear posted:

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Awesomebar is still useful and the Omnibox is still garbage, so, no, not Chrome yet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

xamphear posted:

I'm all for this one. haha

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

pseudorandom name posted:

The Awesomebar is still useful and the Omnibox is still garbage, so, no, not Chrome yet.

Probably just a matter of time now...

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

pseudorandom name posted:

The Awesomebar is still useful

:agreed:

Awesomebar is my favorite part of this browser.

Anyways, at least if Mozilla's Firefox ever turns entirely into a Chrome clone, a fork of it will survive somewhere. Sort of like how I jumped ship from Amarok to Clementine back in the day.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if it wasn't for the awesomebar I would've switched to some other browser ages ago.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I just started firefox and it deleted my profile and all my addons and settings and now that I've got that back all I need to know is how to fix the weird page scrolling? It's making me nauseous.

EDIT: nevermind, it seems to have fixed itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

AlmightyBob posted:

I just started firefox and it deleted my profile and all my addons and settings and now that I've got that back all I need to know is how to fix the weird page scrolling? It's making me nauseous.

EDIT: nevermind, it seems to have fixed itself?

If you mean "Smooth scrolling", it's Options (or Preferences)> Advanced>General>Use smooth scrolling.