Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The demographic differences between India and Pakistan are pretty interesting.

India's 2010 Muslim population of 177,286,000 makes up 14.6% of the total population.
Pakistan 's 2010 Muslim population of 178,097,000 makes up 96.4% of the total population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

More than literally any other country you can name. Including Russia. Including China.

Vatican city/the Papal States :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Vatican city/the Papal States :colbert:

Ehh, they more hosed around with each other.

Also I forgot Israel so there's your exception. :v:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

But Israel has only existed since 1948???

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 28, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Does India have a history of anti-Muslim sentiment?

Uh

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%E2%80%93Pakistan_relations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_against_Muslims_in_India

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Gujarat_riots

quote:

According to official figures, the riots resulted in the deaths of 790 Muslims and 254 Hindus; 2,500 people were injured non-fatally, and 223 more were reported missing. Other sources estimate that up to 2,000 Muslims died. There were instances of rape, children being burned alive, and widespread looting and destruction of property. Chief Minister Narendra Modi has been accused of initiating and condoning the violence, as have police and government officials who allegedly directed the rioters and gave lists of Muslim-owned properties to them

Why yes, that is the same Narendra Modi who is now Prime Minister of India

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also the same Narendra Modi who has a pinstriped suit with the pinstripes consisting of his name, printed over and over and over like he's afraid of someone counterfeiting him.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

"My main regret is that I didn't handle the media as well as I could have"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Also the same Narendra Modi who has a pinstriped suit with the pinstripes consisting of his name, printed over and over and over like he's afraid of someone counterfeiting him.

Some Palestinian official (Abbas maybe?) actually copied that suit idea.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FAUXTON posted:

That's pretty baller, tbqh.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

chitoryu12 posted:

Does India have a history of anti-Muslim sentiment?
More than literally any other country you can name. Including Russia. Including China.

I thought you were being all :thejoke: since your name so resembled the name of one of the decisive medieval battles between India and the Moghuls, the Sack of Chitore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Chittorgarh

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's already played out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's something you'd expect in a saints row game.

E: it appears to be something assholes do, because you've got Mubarak and Modi pulling that gag, I guess I should be expecting Sisi and maybe Randpaul next?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Some Palestinian official (Abbas maybe?) actually copied that suit idea.

You're thinking of Hosni.

Also the religious tensions between Muslims and Hindus in India and Pakistan are some of the most fraught in the whole world.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

You're thinking of Hosni.

Also the religious tensions between Muslims and Hindus in India and Pakistan are some of the most fraught in the whole world.

Not to downplay that a bit as it is a serious matter between two nuclear powers, but the border dickwaving between those two nations is one of the most hilarious things in the world, all the more so considering how seriously they both take it.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 28, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

american officials need more tacky swag

I mean yeah the relative aesthetic humility of our government (other than the supreme court building) is an endearing and longstanding hallmark of american democracy, but it'd be worth bucking precedent for Biden to dress like he's doing a postgame interview on Fox Sports occasionally

Also I'm tired of the gatdamn turks one-upping us with Erdogan's bigassed palace. Bulldose the White House and build a golden tower the size of Mount Rainier

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A gold equestrian statue of Obama in traditional Kenyan garb

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

sullat posted:

Seems like he's conflating Muslims and Mexicans, too. I know it's an easy mistake to make, what with all those mexican/turkish fusion food carts out there, but still, you gotta be able to at least pretend to know the difference.

You mean all brown people aren't the same?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Since someone had to do it: https://twitter.com/Palin_eBooks :ocelot:

Please share with your friends.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PupsOfWar posted:

american officials need more tacky swag

I mean yeah the relative aesthetic humility of our government (other than the supreme court building) is an endearing and longstanding hallmark of american democracy, but it'd be worth bucking precedent for Biden to dress like he's doing a postgame interview on Fox Sports occasionally

Also I'm tired of the gatdamn turks one-upping us with Erdogan's bigassed palace. Bulldose the White House and build a golden tower the size of Mount Rainier

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

hangedman1984 posted:

You mean all brown people aren't the same?

It will be hilarious to see all the white conservative heads explode when they try to internally reconcile the fact "brown man also doesn't like brown people? huaaaAAAHH?!!?" :psyboom: when they can't tell the difference between different kinds of brown folks either

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

eh it doesn't seem to bother them with every other token minority nut they parade around as champions of their cause

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

blunt for century posted:

It will be hilarious to see all the white conservative heads explode when they try to internally reconcile the fact "brown man also doesn't like brown people? huaaaAAAHH?!!?" :psyboom: when they can't tell the difference between different kinds of brown folks either

all the "White hispanic? what?" conversations around the zimmerman trial were fun. Lookin for a repeat when folks start going "Ted Cruz can't be racist agin' latinos: he's a messican!"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 28, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Not to downplay that a bit as it is a serious matter between two nuclear powers, but the border dickwaving between those two nations is one of the most hilarious things in the world, all the more so considering how seriously they both take it.

This straight up looks like a Monty Python skit

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

This straight up looks like a Monty Python skit

The guy doing the voiceover even references the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Alkydere posted:

The guy doing the voiceover even references the Ministry of Silly Walks.

What does a ministry in India have to Do with Monty Python?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

sullat posted:

mexican/turkish fusion food
I need this, now, and I'm never gonna get it. Thanks a lot.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I would watch an hours long documentary only about the evolution of this ceremony. Someone set a camera up next to it for the next 20 years and track how it escalates. Thanks.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Someday one side will run out of ideas to top the other and that'll be the start of WW3.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eNeMeE posted:

I need this, now, and I'm never gonna get it. Thanks a lot.

Tell you what. I will inform the shadowy overlords of Houston and see what can be done about that.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Someday one side will run out of ideas to top the other and that'll be the start of WW3.

You underestimate the creativity of Americans when it comes to inventing novel methods to gently caress others over.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
Repeat post....I didn't get an answer on this last time and not sure where else to ask. Any MA goons?

Charlie Baker's stated goal in the beginning of his term is to shore up the state budget deficit. But his first action as governor was to release a bunch of money (100 million)in transportation funds to various towns and cities. The same funds that Deval Patrick had refused to release because he said the state couldn't afford it. How does this add up? Am I missing something?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Phone posted:

It doesn't snow in the south, it ices. We don't have the infrastructure to deal with it because it happens infrequently to not warrant spending hundreds of millions of dollars on heavy machinery.

Couple of pages ago, but I just wanted to point out that Georgia has the equipment to pre-treat roads in anticipation of shutdown-level snow/ice. We had them last year, paid for by tax funds, because of a similar storm a few years prior. A GDoT spokesperson had the nerve to say that it would have been a waste of resources to have used them.

(Funny this is coming up now, since it's one year to the day from last year's snowmageddon, in which my fiancee was stuck on the interstate for 21 hours because her boss told everyone they had to go home right now. This poo poo happens again, she's staying overnight in the office.)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This was absolutely insane, and this is something that happens every?

blunt for century posted:

I've had conservatives argue that White racism isn't a big deal because, "Black people hate Mexicans and each Hispanic nationality/ethnic group hate each other, so why don't liberals complain about them?"

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

KomradeX posted:

This was absolutely insane, and this is something that happens every?

In your heart you know the answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagah_border_ceremony

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, I did. What I find most confusing about this is why the gate at the border crossing is already closed during their closing ceremony.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

eternalname posted:

Repeat post....I didn't get an answer on this last time and not sure where else to ask. Any MA goons?

Charlie Baker's stated goal in the beginning of his term is to shore up the state budget deficit. But his first action as governor was to release a bunch of money (100 million)in transportation funds to various towns and cities. The same funds that Deval Patrick had refused to release because he said the state couldn't afford it. How does this add up? Am I missing something?

Simple corruption i assume?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

For anticipated snow emergencies, Cleveland tells certain parts of downtown to let out of work at a time- so not all of downtown is going home at once.. It would work awesome if there were also traffic cops making sure assholes didn't clog up intersections.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

For anticipated snow emergencies, Cleveland tells certain parts of downtown to let out of work at a time- so not all of downtown is going home at once.. It would work awesome if there were also traffic cops making sure assholes didn't clog up intersections.

I don't know how you accomplish it, but a lot of our traffic problems could be solved by not having everyone go to work and get off work at the same time.

I mean you'd have to completely reorder society but we're still operating as if the only source of light is the sun and fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I don't know how you accomplish it, but a lot of our traffic problems could be solved by not having everyone go to work and get off work at the same time.

I mean you'd have to completely reorder society but we're still operating as if the only source of light is the sun and fire.

Rotating shifts for all!!!

• Locked thread