Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mdemone posted:

They should spend the first season periodically flashing back (ahead?) to the party, which would be a good way to slowly reveal the factions & characters, and then have Boone get offed in the season finale.

Edit: Arkady could be a really great character for television.

If they can get the right actor. Nadia will always remain the best character though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Torrannor posted:

If they can get the right actor. Nadia will always remain the best character though.

I'm getting excited now, and I should really know better. Maybe it won't be a clusterfuck, who knows?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Mars4523 posted:

Mind elaborating? Not sure what you mean.

There's this one point where Sanderson uses the word "cooldown" to refer to a supervillain's teleportation ability. As you'd imagine it sounds awkward as gently caress.

Yeah that kind of talk is what I mean, and his tendency to overdetail his magic systems. I really had a hard time with Mistborn.

I know it's kind of his thing but a lot of his stuff that I've read comes across as an RPG sourcebook set to a story. At worst there are flickers of the "I wrote what happened in my AD&D campaign" thing that happens all the time in the TSR novels. Nowhere near as bad though. The guy can still craft a readable story most of the time.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Clark Nova posted:

At the very least, they'll probably rearrange things so that Boone doesn't get killed in the prologue.

Yeah, and I pity anyone who read it in the order it was published in!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Craig Schaefer's new book is out in the Daniel Faust series. A Plain-Dealing Villain.

Finished it last night. It's pretty damned good. I'd hold off on reading it if you haven't finished the original trilogy, because there are massive spoilers for the last couple books in there.

First book I've read in a single sitting in a long time. One of the only ones I have 5 starred as well.

Worth grabbing if you are a fan of the series, seems to be getting better with each book.

I'm about done with this and I have to again hype the series. Daniel Faust is what you would get if Donald Westlake had a brain baby with Jim Butcher. Dortmunder's ingenuity and planning, Parker's ruthlessness and instincts, and Dresden's magic powers and urban fantasy politics.

This book was fantastic.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
All I could think of when I got to the end was "You.... magnificent bastard :argh: "

It's a hell of a ride, that's for sure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mdemone posted:

I was going to mention Calibre but was skittish about :filez:

Is it legal to remove DRM from a file you legitimately own?

not if you live in the usa since that violates the dmca

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

All I could think of when I got to the end was "You.... magnificent bastard :argh: "

It's a hell of a ride, that's for sure.

If he keeps up his pace, the next one should be out in about 3 days, so no big deal.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Torrannor posted:

After watching a few episodes of Orange is the New Black I want Kate Mulgrew.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Victorkm posted:

I'm about done with this and I have to again hype the series. Daniel Faust is what you would get if Donald Westlake had a brain baby with Jim Butcher. Dortmunder's ingenuity and planning, Parker's ruthlessness and instincts, and Dresden's magic powers and urban fantasy politics.

This book was fantastic.

He's also got a good grasp of horror, body and otherwise. Absolutely recommend these books, I love them.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

boneration posted:

Yeah that kind of talk is what I mean, and his tendency to overdetail his magic systems. I really had a hard time with Mistborn.

I know it's kind of his thing but a lot of his stuff that I've read comes across as an RPG sourcebook set to a story. At worst there are flickers of the "I wrote what happened in my AD&D campaign" thing that happens all the time in the TSR novels. Nowhere near as bad though. The guy can still craft a readable story most of the time.
I didn't notice that as much. It probably helps that there aren't the same kinds of hard and fast rules as the Mistborn series (I don't know what TSR refers to). All the superhumans have "thematically appropriate" powers and weaknesses that are the result of (discovered in the second book) some genocidal rear end in a top hat deciding they would be cool.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Mars4523 posted:

(I don't know what TSR refers to).

TSR was once the company that published Dungeons and Dragons (before WotC bought the rights). They published novels - such as the Dragonlance Chronicles - that were literal novelizations of the authors' roleplaying campaigns.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Shitshow posted:

TSR was once the company that published Dungeons and Dragons (before WotC bought the rights). They published novels - such as the Dragonlance Chronicles - that were literal novelizations of the authors' roleplaying campaigns.

They were poorly written, like a movie tie-in, but a massive amount of fun to read, especially if you were into D&D (2nd Edition for life!). Plus they gave some interesting backstories on the lands and characters from the different modules.

Also, I think these are still being written?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the people who wrote them still write books.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

anilEhilated posted:

Well, the people who wrote them still write books.

I answered my own question with Google. http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels

In fact, it looks like R.A. Salvatore has a new Drizzt novel out in March. Drizzt: The character that just won't loving die.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

XBenedict posted:

They were poorly written, like a movie tie-in, but a massive amount of fun to read, especially if you were into D&D (2nd Edition for life!).

The Dragonlance books were my favorite in elementary through highschool (back in the 80s and 90s). I reread the chronicle and legend books more times than I can count. I reread them about four years ago and they were just horrible. I love the story and the nostalgia I feel when reading them but they just don't hold up compared to what I'm use to reading. I still recommend them to young readers but not adults.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Maybe you should recommend actually good books to young readers.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Like Have Spacesuit, Will Travel.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

Maybe you should recommend actually good books to young readers.

I think it's still a good place to start because I don't have to worry about parents getting upset about violence and sex. I'm happy to recommend better books as well.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

If "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" were a person, he (pronoun intentional) would be pushing early retirement eligibility, and if you're going to dig up something from that era you can do better.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I like reading Heinlein but I couldn't stand that one, I guess I didn't like reading everything as Kip. It's been awhile since I read it but I think Red Planet might be a better recommendation to younger readers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sibling of TB posted:

I like reading Heinlein but I couldn't stand that one, I guess I didn't like reading everything as Kip. It's been awhile since I read it but I think Red Planet might be a better recommendation to younger readers.

If I were going to recommend a Heinlein Juvie to people it would be Citizen of the Galaxy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Only Heinlein book I ever liked was The Door Into Summer. Otherwise I found most of his stuff boring and some of it outright terrible - Stranger In A Strange Land in particular, especially since I seem to keep running into people who try to use "grok" in real conversation.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 27, 2015

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Trampus posted:

The Dragonlance books were my favorite in elementary through highschool (back in the 80s and 90s). I reread the chronicle and legend books more times than I can count. I reread them about four years ago and they were just horrible. I love the story and the nostalgia I feel when reading them but they just don't hold up compared to what I'm use to reading. I still recommend them to young readers but not adults.

I completely agree.

They were pretty much the first books I ever read as a kid and got me into reading in a big way. That said, I tried a re read a few years ago and I didn't make it very far. I was actually considering doing a re read of Weis and Hickman's The Death Gate Cycle once I'm done the book I'm on and I'm hoping it holds up better than Drangonlance did.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

anilEhilated posted:

Stranger In A Strange Land in particular, especially since I seem to keep running into people who try to use "grok" in real conversation.
Oh god gently caress those people.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I think it's probably because I've only ever listened to the audio rendition of Have Spacesuit. So having Kip tell me a story wasn't weird at all. Plus it was an awesome story about engineering and why it's great to be an engineer.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

johnsonrod posted:

I completely agree.

They were pretty much the first books I ever read as a kid and got me into reading in a big way. That said, I tried a re read a few years ago and I didn't make it very far. I was actually considering doing a re read of Weis and Hickman's The Death Gate Cycle once I'm done the book I'm on and I'm hoping it holds up better than Drangonlance did.

I read the Death Gate Cycle books a bunch of times too. Let me know if they're any better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
As a point of reference, seems like I was pretty wrong and getting a Hugo can in at least some cases make a big difference in your writer income. Like jumping from four figure to solid five-figure income.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Trampus posted:

I read the Death Gate Cycle books a bunch of times too. Let me know if they're any better.

Read those when I was younger, they're marginally better than the Dragonlance books but not necessarily *good*.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

General Battuta posted:

As a point of reference, seems like I was pretty wrong and getting a Hugo can in at least some cases make a big difference in your writer income. Like jumping from four figure to solid five-figure income.

I think that's fair for big awards, but take the Aurealis awards in Australia - I doubt they have any impact on sales. Just something nice to receive and would help with future publication.

Webasaur
Mar 13, 2010
I just got done playing Consortium on the pc which had a nice little Sci fi whodunit/mystery/conspiracy type of storyline, and I haven't read enough books lately. Anybody got a good suggestion for a mystery aboard a spaceship / station?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Webasaur posted:

I just got done playing Consortium on the pc which had a nice little Sci fi whodunit/mystery/conspiracy type of storyline, and I haven't read enough books lately. Anybody got a good suggestion for a mystery aboard a spaceship / station?

Might as well read Leviathan Wakes if you haven't. The Prefect by Reynolds is a solid entry in the subgenre too. What am I forgetting?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Trampus posted:

Ohhhhh....I remember loving the Death Gate books when I was a teenager. I don't think I could read them now for fear of ruining my rose tinted glasses and seeing how awful they really are. :ohdear:

I do remember the various elemental worlds and magic system being really creative (moreso than Dragonlance). I also remember everything being over explained in footnotes and essays at the end of each book. I've grown to prefer ambiguity in my sci fi fantasy.

Yeah no. I'll leave the Deathgate Cycle and Dragonlance to nostalgia and memory. Didn't Weis and Hickman have another series where everyone was mages, and to be born without magic was to be born dead? Deathsword? I remember it ending with them being invaded by the armies of the "dead" space marines from Earth with laser rifles and such.

Ahh...memories. :allears:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Snuffman posted:

Yeah no. I'll leave the Deathgate Cycle and Dragonlance to nostalgia and memory. Didn't Weis and Hickman have another series where everyone was mages, and to be born without magic was to be born dead? Deathsword? I remember it ending with them being invaded by the armies of the "dead" space marines from Earth with laser rifles and such.

The Darksword Trilogy.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Darksword also came with Darksword Adventures. The weird, incredibly incomplete RPG that could be played with 10 sided dice *or* hand gestures. I believe they recommended the hand gestures...

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

oTHi posted:

Darksword also came with Darksword Adventures. The weird, incredibly incomplete RPG that could be played with 10 sided dice *or* hand gestures. I believe they recommended the hand gestures...

What, like rock-paper-scissors? I'd play that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

oTHi posted:

A jazz-hands based combat system, how did this not supplant AD&D?

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Recently read and enjoyed Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch, and now I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some good Urban Fantasy books that are more serious in tone? (Excluding the Dresden Files which I've already tried and hated.)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Declare by Tim Powers might be in your wheelhouse, if you're looking for fantasy set in modern times, serious in tone, and relatively low-key in terms of fantastical elements. Bonus points if you enjoy Cold War espionage thrillers. Basically he takes the story of Kim Philby and fills in all the blanks with a looming supernatural element that the US and USSR are fighting over in the shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Vorik posted:

Recently read and enjoyed Rivers Of London by Ben Aaronovitch, and now I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some good Urban Fantasy books that are more serious in tone? (Excluding the Dresden Files which I've already tried and hated.)

Twenty Palace series by Harry Connolly
Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer
London Falling by Paul Cornell
Fated series by Benedict Jacka (Sort of like Dresden but not as campy/happy)
Felix Castor series by Mike Carey
Infernal Game series (only 2 released) by Rebecca Levene