Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Awesome Animals posted:

That was my problem with that set-up as well.
Woah, hold up now. As mentioned, Harvard doesn't have a chapter of the order. So here's my theory: Mike does know everything about graduating from Harvard, but Louis didn't really go to Harvard either!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Awesome Animals posted:

That was my problem with that set-up as well.

Mike conveniently doesn't take the hour it would take to learn the Harvard basics (fight song, notable fraternities, professor's names, academic honors). I'm sure someone could analyze his character and pick a reason for that, but really it's just because the writers need to throw in "Mike's Secret" as a drama point in every season, and they can't do that if he's in the database, has a degree, knows everything about the university, and the people who care about it (bosses at the firm, Rachel) already know.

For my part, this made sense early in the first season where he's literally stumbled his way into one of the top law firms in New York, but as soon as he stopped smoking pot and started taking the job seriously he should have known his harvard B.S. backwards and forwards.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

misguided rage posted:

Woah, hold up now. As mentioned, Harvard doesn't have a chapter of the order. So here's my theory: Mike does know everything about graduating from Harvard, but Louis didn't really go to Harvard either!!!

Oh now I hope this happens.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

misguided rage posted:

I would applaud the writers of the show so hard if they pulled this out of the hat.

It would be the greatest twist ever.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
When Louis brought up the "Mike didn't attend Harvard Law" topic again, I literally groaned out loud.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Awesome Animals posted:

When Louis brought up the "Mike didn't attend Harvard Law" topic again, I literally groaned out loud.

For real, tho', if that's the impetus it takes to get Litt's name up on the building alongside Harvey and Jessica's then I'm all for that scuzzy call back reference writing.

Litt's gonna be FULL PARTNER!!!!!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This is the only instance of Mike's secret being out that is acceptable.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Drifter posted:

For real, tho', if that's the impetus it takes to get Litt's name up on the building alongside Harvey and Jessica's then I'm all for that scuzzy call back reference writing.

I like getting Litt up as much as the next man, but I worry about what is going to happen between Louis, and Harvey/Jessica. Best case scenario is that Harvey joins Team Litt and we see them push out Jessica.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Awesome Animals posted:

I like getting Litt up as much as the next man, but I worry about what is going to happen between Louis, and Harvey/Jessica. Best case scenario is that Harvey joins Team Litt and we see them push out Jessica.

Louis and Jessica push Harvey out and he and Mike become Private Detectives.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Nothing is going to happen. Jessica is going to say no, Louis is gonna make a big deal about going to the bar association and/or their clients and at the 11th hour he and Harvey are going to have a heart to heart where Harvey agrees to mudding with him or something like that and Louis drops the whole thing. Most likely Louis will end up agreeing to come back to Pearson Specter with a bigger cut or something, as well.

Suits is the master at making it seem like everything's changed when nothing really has.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Drifter posted:

Louis and Jessica push Harvey out and he and Mike become Private Detectives.

I like this idea. Let's make it happen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Awesome Animals posted:

I like this idea. Let's make it happen.

I'm on it.

Over and out.

*click*

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Wouldn't the other partners have to vote on something as big as a new name partner? I get that Jessica is pretty dictatorial and all, but that looks to me like a big fcking deal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GaussianCopula posted:

Wouldn't the other partners have to vote on something as big as a new name partner? I get that Jessica is pretty dictatorial and all, but that looks to me like a big fcking deal.

Don't ruin this for me. I need Litt to be up there.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

GaussianCopula posted:

Louis wasn't aware of Pearson-Specter until it was on the wall.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

So Suits is over until winter when it probably comes back with White Collar, right? And Covert Affairs will just keep going throughout the fall? Or is that going on hiatus too?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just finished the season. Spent the last two weeks catching up. I think the overall success of this show is mostly dependent on it's casting for it's "secondary characters/villains". I think the season so far has been a success in that regard.

Also, that final scene was pretty great.

Drifter posted:

I'd be happy with this. As someone mentioned: I really don't know HOW they can all work together peacefully any more and brush this under the rug. Status quo is definitely on the horizon though.

Watching the season really made me notice how many characters "meet" each other despite not making plans. It's not like randomly going into someone's office- I mean- they WAIT (and surprise them) at an elevator for them to come out and have a conversation with them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Schiavona posted:

So Suits is over until winter when it probably comes back with White Collar, right? And Covert Affairs will just keep going throughout the fall? Or is that going on hiatus too?

They haven't said when White Collar is coming back and unfortunately when it does it is going to be a Burn Notice-esque shorten final season.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It's implied that, as managing partner, she has absolute authority over everything (except for the vote to decide managing partner, which goes to all the partners).

I just caught up with the rest of the season and I have to say it was very good. I personally would have liked to see a little more with the SEC resolution, but I suppose it was pretty wrapped up from the law firm's side, so I understand just skipping the rest of whatever happened there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's funny though, becuase it SHOULDN'T be wrapped up. They SEC dude should pass Louis's shenanigans over to someone else and Louis should be run into the ground with the boot of the government.

But I don't care and it's all good because He's going to be a partner and Harvey's going to flip out. AHahaha.

AHahahahaha.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
If we're going to demand realism out of that investigation, then Louis probably has at least 2+ years of lawyering in him before the SEC can get a court sentence against him. Not to mention that he most likely would just be fined because not only would Pearson-Specter be compelled to defend him (their own laywer getting convicted of tax evasion? Not good for PR), but since any conviction on Louis would inevitably lead to an investigation on Forstman, so he'd pretty much have to go out of his way to defend him as well.

Like you said, though, who gives a poo poo. Louis as a vindictive name partner, gently caress yes.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Well, when they were in the SEC office, wasn't the condition for turning over the head guy and the venture capital guy that Louis got to walk if it turned out to be true? That's the impression I got, at least.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

So Lewis knows Mike didn't go to Harvard, but does he realize Mike's not a real lawyer period? I'm guessing so due to the threats but I'm lost on how he went from realizing Mike didn't really go to Harvard to Mike's not a real lawyer at all. How does he know they Harvey wasn't just covering where Mike went to school to get him the job at a Harvard only firm?

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 5, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

So Lewis knows Mike didn't go to Harvard, but does he realize Mike's not a real lawyer period? I'm guessing so due to the threats but I'm lost on how he went from realizing Mike didn't really go to Harvard to Mike's not a real lawyer at all. How does he know they Harvey wasn't just covering where Mike went to school to get him the job at a Harvard only firm?

No, wouldn't it be that Louis has proof(?) that not only has Mike faked his Harvard records, but that Jessica's firm was complicit in the faking/coverup process.

And also, if Mike has no record of graduating anywhere BUT Harvard, which is shown to be false, he now has no other way to have graduated with a law degree type thing.

I don't know how the Bar works - but I assume you need a degree before you can take it. But that's probably a tertiary issue.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I've been out of the loop with this show -- has there been any word on whether Neal McDonough is coming back next season? He fit in with the cast perfectly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't seen any news about the back half of this season. The showrunner is also not sure when it's even going to air.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Drifter posted:

I don't know how the Bar works - but I assume you need a degree before you can take it. But that's probably a tertiary issue.

Some states (including New York) allow you to take the bar having studied law by apprenticing for a lawyer instead of going to law school, and I always thought that would have been an interesting way for the show to get out of the "Mike's a fraud" angle while keeping the rest of the premise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CellBlock posted:

Some states (including New York) allow you to take the bar having studied law by apprenticing for a lawyer instead of going to law school, and I always thought that would have been an interesting way for the show to get out of the "Mike's a fraud" angle while keeping the rest of the premise.
Well they can't get around it because it wouldn't have pissed Louis off and I would suffer three seasons of Rachel's lovely romance story arcs for more of Louis getting partner. That was a great ending to that episode. God drat.

So good.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

CellBlock posted:

Well you'd be openly admitting to impersonating a lawyer (or whatever the actual crime would be) if you suddenly say "oh by the way I've been pretending to be a lawyer for a good x years now, can I take the bar and make it legit?"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Also the fact Harvey's company only hires Harvard law graduates. Not apprentice lawyers.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

CellBlock posted:

Are they going to wave a magic wand to have the last 3 years of him working as a lawyer just disappear? If they wanted to drop the storyline they could simply stop bringing it up every few episodes. There is no need to have random guys investigate Mike's past or to have Luis have kinky fun in the archive of Harvard Law.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
New promo. Louis means business.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/12/suits-season-4b-new-promo.html

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rise from your grave thread as the season returns tomorrow night.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Do we need a new thread?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PaganGoatPants posted:

Do we need a new thread?

For the seven people who post in this thread?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hey I actually noticed this show is coming back before the season is almost over like I usually do so there'll be 8 of us now!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited about tomorrow's episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

Do we need a new thread?

Nah, it's still technically the same season. Which means that this is probably only going to be six episodes.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
IIRC, this will be the episode that Gabriel Macht directed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, when I was checking to see if it was a new episode for some reason my cable guide specifically mentioned that he directed this episode.

• Locked thread