Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It certainly got this poor bastard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsDP5DznDQ&t=503s

Of course that same tank gets hit by an RPG like ten seconds later. So probably not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Slavvy posted:

You wouldn't want them taking on a modern armoured division but they're still a fast and powerful tank when you're facing guerrillas who appear to be limited to RPG's and don't have any really dangerous ATGMs (someone correct me if there are indications to the contrary).

As if the rebels were being funded by mysterious and unidentifiable groups of people with great wealth and influence, there's been evidence of rebels in possessions of very modern weapons like RPG-29s.

They've also been stealing poo poo from Syrian army bases and defecting soldiers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Hogge Wild, I finally have an answer to your questions. In the 16th century the regimental executioner is authorized to do all the kinds of killing the law requires, and he is not honorable. This leads to problems though, since in the close environment of a military camp it's a huge hassle for there to be one person (and his assistants) whom nobody can touch or live with without pollution.

I wonder if perceptions of executioner dishonor changed from the 16th century into the 17th? The Articles of War I've seen do not, as the 16th century ones do, contain parts about how you're forbidden from mistreating the regimental executioner, nor does this admonition appear in any of the permission slips that free companies carry which allow them to retain executioners from whatever city they're near when they need one. (A free company is a company that is not legally attached to a regiment, so they don't have any of the regimental officers except the Obrist, which is the dude who leads them. So no executioner. When you fight they just join up with whatever regiment is there.)

On the other hand, given that there are nomadic ethnic groups with pretty strict taboos about touching certain things, eating certain foods, etc., it may not have been so difficult as to force mercenaries to stop bagging on these people.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 28, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

As if the rebels were being funded by mysterious and unidentifiable groups of people with great wealth and influence, there's been evidence of rebels in possessions of very modern weapons like RPG-29s.

They've also been stealing poo poo from Syrian army bases and defecting soldiers.

There's many videos and photographs showing the Syrian rebels with modern weapons. Not only RPG-29s, but even TOW-style ATGMs (there's a video of one being used to hit a parked plane). If the war was as simple as "Rag-tag rebel band is inferior to established military", then every war like that would have ended ages ago. In practice, the FSA has a massive number of militia and potential recruits (as of December 2013 they were estimated at 40,000-50,000) and has been quite blatantly supported by various nations. ISIL has also joined the fight as a third side, which complicates matters. The Syrian government has also suffered from defecting soldiers, in some cases delivering their vehicles to the rebels.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How often was this executioner of yours working? Did he simply have less people to execute in the 17th century?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So when reading I see castle keeps and city bastions mentioned a fair amount, but I never seem to remember them doing that much good. Usually it's off handedly mentioned as the place the few defenders made a desperate last stand before all being killed at the conclusion of a successful siege, but it seems like if people kept building them, they had to have had a use. So does anyone know of a siege of a city or castle where the final strong point was a decisive factor in the victory of the defenders?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How often was this executioner of yours working? Did he simply have less people to execute in the 17th century?
Not sure. There are more people, but there's trials only three times a month on set dates (they give you your choice of dates if you know you'll have trouble showing up), not to mention that you can always appeal and according to some secondary sources these people are more reluctant to punish than civilian authorities during the normal course of events. (If you find some excesses going down though, there is nothing to stop you from hanging a whole tree's worth of people by the side of the road, just 'cause.)

Ed: "To pay well and hang well makes a good soldier." English military proverb from around this time.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 28, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

There's many videos and photographs showing the Syrian rebels with modern weapons. Not only RPG-29s, but even TOW-style ATGMs (there's a video of one being used to hit a parked plane). If the war was as simple as "Rag-tag rebel band is inferior to established military", then every war like that would have ended ages ago. In practice, the FSA has a massive number of militia and potential recruits (as of December 2013 they were estimated at 40,000-50,000) and has been quite blatantly supported by various nations. ISIL has also joined the fight as a third side, which complicates matters. The Syrian government has also suffered from defecting soldiers, in some cases delivering their vehicles to the rebels.
It's not entirely clear how many "sides" there are in Syria right now. Al Queda and ISIL are both known to be operating there (for obvious reasons in the last case) and we can't rule out independent militias working towards the same anti-Assad goal, but without co-operation. Heck, there could even be Russian "militias" in the area backing Assad and and US OGA teams supporting <other group> and we'd have a hard time proving it. Syria is kind of a free for all.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

LimburgLimbo posted:

Don't think that anyone was actually fighting from the top of the tank, unless you have sources that say otherwise.

Yes, they were fighting from the tank. Baryatinskiy's book on Lend Lease vehicles recalls the so called "broom" tactic, where submachinegunners would "sweep" any place that looked like it could hide enemy infantry from ~100-150 meters, which was longer than the effective range of a Panzerfaust. Shermans were preferable for this task to T-34s, since they wouldn't shake as much and calmed down quicker on short stops.

Also here's a bunch of tank tactics for fighting in the city, along with some examples: http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2014/05/soviet-tank-tactics-1945.html The Berlin repositories are bursting with tactics documents like this one, but most of them are more or less the same in terms of what they describe. Don't get flanked, always keep an eye out for snipers or Panzerfausts, keep track of your units and make sure they don't get lost or end up running into someone else.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, fair enough. I didn't realise it had gotten to the point where it isn't particularly lopsided anymore. Does that mean the rebels/ISIL theoretically have armour?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Okay, fair enough. I didn't realise it had gotten to the point where it isn't particularly lopsided anymore. Does that mean the rebels/ISIL theoretically have armour?

Not theoretically. Confirmed to have tanks.

http://brown-moses.blogspot.com/2012/07/first-video-evidence-of-free-syrian.html

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Slavvy posted:

We know they have armor.

Various Russian tanks have been surrendered by defectors or captured from the Syrian Army and have been used in combat.

http://brown-moses.blogspot.kr/2012/08/first-video-evidence-of-tank-on-tank.html

The IS also got a hold of several M1 Abrams tanks they took from the Iraqi Army. It's unclear whether or not they've been able to get them operational or to keep them running.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I was under the impression that their M1s would eventually become non operational because they don't have access to the stuff needed to maintain them. Admittedly I heard this from threads in GiP, so...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I was under the impression that their M1s would eventually become non operational because they don't have access to the stuff needed to maintain them. Admittedly I heard this from threads in GiP, so...

How much racism did you have to wade through to hear that?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
How many things can you shake a poleaxe at?

VVV It... it was a 'more than you can shake a stick at' joke. :(

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 28, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How many things can you shake a poleaxe at?
anything that threatens you or that you want to threaten

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not entirely clear how many "sides" there are in Syria right now. Al Queda and ISIL are both known to be operating there (for obvious reasons in the last case) and we can't rule out independent militias working towards the same anti-Assad goal, but without co-operation. Heck, there could even be Russian "militias" in the area backing Assad and and US OGA teams supporting <other group> and we'd have a hard time proving it. Syria is kind of a free for all.

Or, if you're as racist as, say, regular Funker530 reader, it's glorious secular Assad government against Muslim Terrorists that are supported by Jews/Obama/Jewbama.

Though this might not be an isolated American thing:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Or, if you're as racist as, say, regular Funker530 reader, it's glorious secular Assad government against Muslim Terrorists that are supported by Jews/Obama/Jewbama.

Though this might not be an isolated American thing:

Sadly there's a kernel of truth to that. The chances of the USA not funding ISIL before they kicked off in Iraq is basically zero. Proxy wars seem to always bite the sponsors in the rear end sooner or later.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wasn't there a thing where people were worried about Mujahideen having stingers that were donated to fight the soviets with?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Eej posted:

Everyone being hyped to see the ISU-152 take out a Panther getting pelted by glass shards after the shot is the best

e: well, except for the guys in the Panther who were probably liquified

What was the name of this man? I've read it a while ago when the site had a different look and was baffled that he tells of all the local onlookers around that were watching the fighting like it's a soccer game. When the SU152 fired, they all scattered, because it was so loud and the concussion of the blast was massive. Or was it another man's story? I was walking by the place where they collapsed the building for the last 6 years almost daily.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

JaucheCharly posted:

What was the name of this man? I've read it a while ago when the site had a different look and was baffled that he tells of all the local onlookers around that were watching the fighting like it's a soccer game. When the SU152 fired, they all scattered, because it was so loud and the concussion of the blast was massive. Or was it another man's story? I was walking by the place where they collapsed the building for the last 6 years almost daily.
Dmitriy Loza.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Arquinsiel posted:

Sadly there's a kernel of truth to that. The chances of the USA not funding ISIL before they kicked off in Iraq is basically zero. Proxy wars seem to always bite the sponsors in the rear end sooner or later.

How the gently caress do you even blame Obama for that? Some of the groups involved in Bush's Sunni Awakening, who drove out the original AQ in Iraq, have probably gone over to ISIS as well. Not all, most are probably neutral, but this is a constantly shifting web of alliances dominated by some top dogs.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Thanks

Dmitriy Loza posted:

In the war medicine worked well, but there were cases for which the medics could do nothing except hang their head! Fellows, Romania at that time was simply the venereal cesspool of all of Europe! We had a saying: "If you have 100 Lei (Romanian currency) you may sleep with a queen!" When some German POWs fell into our hands, their pockets were full of prophylactics, as many as 5-10. Our political officers made a big deal out of this "Look at this! They have these so they can rape our women!" But the Germans were smarter than we were and understood what venereal disease could do to an army. If only our own medics had warned us about these diseases! Even though we passed through Romania quickly, we had a terrible outbreak of venereal disease in our units. Our army had two hospitals: one for surgical cases and the other for light wounds. They were forced to open a venereal section, even though it was not provided for in the table of organization and equipment.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Vague WW2 question:

I've read somewhere that a common German tactic when defending was to fall back quickly, wait for the attackers to occupy their position and then hit them with pre-sighted arty and counterattack.

My question is: is there a name for this procedure? Was it something particularly innovative about this or was it something common to all sides?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I know I am showing my ignorance here, but apart from their treaty with Belgium why did the UK enter World War 1 so early? I imagine they'd have a lot to gain from having France taken down several notches, being a rival colonial superpower with a rich history of fighting the British and decapitating monarchs, while Germany had an almost-english royal family. Would it not have been more advantageous for them to sit on the sidelines, let the continent do it's thing while it kept its fighting force in good shape, then attempt to broker a peace between both parties backed up by a threat to enter the war?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Germany was quickly expanding their navy, which was seen as a big threat by the UK.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rincewind posted:

I've always liked how he's helpfully labelled "Russian", just in case the point wasn't totally clear.

EDIT: Holy moley.
Guess what I found

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Alris posted:

I know I am showing my ignorance here, but apart from their treaty with Belgium why did the UK enter World War 1 so early? I imagine they'd have a lot to gain from having France taken down several notches, being a rival colonial superpower with a rich history of fighting the British and decapitating monarchs, while Germany had an almost-english royal family. Would it not have been more advantageous for them to sit on the sidelines, let the continent do it's thing while it kept its fighting force in good shape, then attempt to broker a peace between both parties backed up by a threat to enter the war?

On a large scale, Britain's foreign policy for the last century or so has been to prevent any one continental European power from ever gaining hegemony over Europe. Germany, an amalgamation of a bunch of smaller Germanic states, was suddenly a powerhouse and on the up-and-up. Britain wanted to keep some kind of balance of power going between France and Germany.

On a smaller scale, violating Belgian neutrality was a big deal. You had a relatively weak country get invaded and occupied, and all of its industrial outputs plundered. This wasn't a clean war, there were plenty of the usual war crimes done any time every time an occupying power interacts with a civilian populace.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Alris posted:

It's worth noting that the almost-English Kaiser had a lifelong habit of jamming his foot directly into his mouth, particularly when speaking to his English relatives. Family feeling can work just as strongly against you as for (though I'd argue that family relations probably had very little to do with Great Power strategy in the run up to WW1.)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Alris posted:

I know I am showing my ignorance here, but apart from their treaty with Belgium why did the UK enter World War 1 so early?

You already answered your own question. The low countries have been dragging Britain into messy continental entanglements for a long time. It was already traditional by 1914.

That and gently caress those uppity Germans and their imperial/naval ambitions.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

My favourite one is the Canadian one.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

Hogge Wild, I finally have an answer to your questions. In the 16th century the regimental executioner is authorized to do all the kinds of killing the law requires, and he is not honorable. This leads to problems though, since in the close environment of a military camp it's a huge hassle for there to be one person (and his assistants) whom nobody can touch or live with without pollution.

I wonder if perceptions of executioner dishonor changed from the 16th century into the 17th? The Articles of War I've seen do not, as the 16th century ones do, contain parts about how you're forbidden from mistreating the regimental executioner, nor does this admonition appear in any of the permission slips that free companies carry which allow them to retain executioners from whatever city they're near when they need one. (A free company is a company that is not legally attached to a regiment, so they don't have any of the regimental officers except the Obrist, which is the dude who leads them. So no executioner. When you fight they just join up with whatever regiment is there.)

On the other hand, given that there are nomadic ethnic groups with pretty strict taboos about touching certain things, eating certain foods, etc., it may not have been so difficult as to force mercenaries to stop bagging on these people.

Thanks! It's interesting how different far-flung cultures have created an untouchable caste.

Were the Regimental Executioners paid a salary or were they paid a fixed piece rate?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Azran posted:

My favourite one is the Canadian one.

He looks like Pope Benedict cosplaying as the Serbian accordion dude from that "remove kebab" meme

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If you are curious about the whole weird origin story of ISIS and why they are sort of the product of our twisted messed up modern world, I'd just like to quickly plug the Adam Curtis documentary Bitter Lake which is on the iPlayer right now.

It is 2 hours long and slightly surreal. Bring popcorn.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
psst It's also on youtube

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I really like Adam Curtis, but he does make a lot of unsupported assertions; his main form of argument is to make a lot of tenuously stringed together rhetorical arguments: 'what if....? And what if....?'. I think you owe it to yourself to learn more about it in addition to Bitter Lake and not accept it at face value.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It still is a pretty entertaining documentary of course, but it got me asking questions and digging deeper for myself which makes up for some of the flaws.

My one issue with it is that it might have worked better as a mini series with an hour dedicated to each thing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Phobophilia posted:

On a large scale, Britain's foreign policy for the last century or so has been to prevent any one continental European power from ever gaining hegemony over Europe. Germany, an amalgamation of a bunch of smaller Germanic states, was suddenly a powerhouse and on the up-and-up. Britain wanted to keep some kind of balance of power going between France and Germany.

On a smaller scale, violating Belgian neutrality was a big deal. You had a relatively weak country get invaded and occupied, and all of its industrial outputs plundered. This wasn't a clean war, there were plenty of the usual war crimes done any time every time an occupying power interacts with a civilian populace.

Belgium is also regarded by Britain as the ideal place to launch an attack from, so Germany taking it seems extra menacing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

How the gently caress do you even blame Obama for that? Some of the groups involved in Bush's Sunni Awakening, who drove out the original AQ in Iraq, have probably gone over to ISIS as well. Not all, most are probably neutral, but this is a constantly shifting web of alliances dominated by some top dogs.

It's generally safe to say that at any given moment every powerful nation in the world is giving some money or guns to some dickheads it shouldn't really give money or guns to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

It still is a pretty entertaining documentary of course, but it got me asking questions and digging deeper for myself which makes up for some of the flaws.

My one issue with it is that it might have worked better as a mini series with an hour dedicated to each thing.

Adam Curtis has never been a super in depth person, he likes to sketch a big image about major trends about the neoliberal horrorscape of modern reality. I think he identifies major trends quite well in an interesting and arresting way, but he's a bit weaker when it comes to knitting these things together or about specific historical events.

• Locked thread