Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How much money has Disney so far made off Frozen, counting box office receipts, DVD sales, merchandising, theme park attractions, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Baron Bifford posted:

How much money has Disney so far made off Frozen, counting box office receipts, DVD sales, merchandising, theme park attractions, etc.?

Disney does not give out that info.

Tiggum posted:

How so? Is using Notepad something that only weirdos do now or something?

Actually non-weirdos tend to use Notepad++ now. Don't be a weirdo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Bifford posted:

Well in box office alone it's over $1.3 billion globally, so I would estimate it's at least $2.5 billion across everything.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well in box office alone it's over $1.3 billion globally, so I would estimate it's at least $2.5 billion across everything.

There's not a chance in hell the box office total is more than 10% of the overall total.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Google Fiber is coming to my area. How do I guarantee a subscription?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What part of my government, city County state, do I contact for a traffic light in city limits that doesn't trigger for traffic on its West side? Also whom do I contact?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

What part of my government, city County state, do I contact for a traffic light in city limits that doesn't trigger for traffic on its West side? Also whom do I contact?

Try your city's public works department.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Liam Emsa posted:

Google Fiber is coming to my area. How do I guarantee a subscription?

You can't. Your best option is to wait for it to actually come, and then be ready to move to whatever part of your area actually gets the service installed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Who is the best person to call and ask whether or not I can put a TV on the wall over my fireplace mantle?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

life is killing me posted:

Who is the best person to call and ask whether or not I can put a TV on the wall over my fireplace mantle?

Whoever owns the house? If that is you then why are you asking anyone? Or are you worried about fir risk or something?

I have seen plenty of people do it so I am sure it can be done without interfering with the fireplace chimney and such.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Do you use your fireplace for fire

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Trastion posted:

Whoever owns the house? If that is you then why are you asking anyone? Or are you worried about fir risk or something?

I have seen plenty of people do it so I am sure it can be done without interfering with the fireplace chimney and such.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Do you use your fireplace for fire

It's my girlfriend's place. Since she won't loving call anyone I'm doing it because I want to watch TV straight ahead, and not look to the right where she has the TV awkwardly placed on her dry bar.

I was asking from a technical standpoint, not for permission.

She will thank me for what I've done, when it's done

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

It's my girlfriend's place. Since she won't loving call anyone I'm doing it because I want to watch TV straight ahead, and not look to the right where she has the TV awkwardly placed on her dry bar.

She will thank me for what I've done, when it's done

Any decent electrician will be able to help you, although some might suggest it's a bad idea.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Are you worried about the heat from the fireplace damaging the TV? Or are you worried about somehow loving up the flue by drilling in for anchors?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Are you worried about the heat from the fireplace damaging the TV? Or are you worried about somehow loving up the flue by drilling in for anchors?

Both

ne: Although it wouldn't be terrible for the TV to get damaged, it's ancient and she needs a new one

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hi, I can't use my volume up/down keys (useful when playing) on my laptop (asus), because they're tied to my F11 and F12 keys. Any way to switch from the Function keys to the volume keys?

F11 puts on widescreen mode and F12 does a weird thing on the bottom of the page. I want to change them to up and down the volume (like the symbol says).

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 28, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Hi, I can't use my volume up/down keys (useful when playing) on my laptop (asus), because they're tied to my F11 and F12 keys. Any way to switch from the Function keys to the volume keys?

Do you not have a special keystroke to use the volume function? Laptops with dual-function keys should have keystrokes, such as [fn]+F12, for example.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Do you not have a special keystroke to use the volume function? Laptops with dual-function keys should have keystrokes, such as [fn]+F12, for example.

Oh that's what this key does, thanks a bunch!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I'm trying to find the parody to the song "Eye of the Tiger" but it's something like "Camel of the Toe". Google turns up some Bob and Dave morning radio poo poo.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Man with Hat posted:

What exactly is the difference between using the same password on several websites and having all passwords saved behind a single password in a password holder thingy? Shouldn't they be just as unsafe as someone just needs to break one of your passwords to access all of your stuff?

I guess it's not good if someone hacks into facebook and steals your password for your email if they're the same. Is that it?

Correct, if you use a different password for every site, then if there's a data breach it will only affect your data on that site, for one.

Also I use two-step verification for my password manager, so you would need to know my password to that AND access to my cell phone to get into that.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Katamari Democracy posted:

I'm trying to find the parody to the song "Eye of the Tiger" but it's something like "Camel of the Toe". Google turns up some Bob and Dave morning radio poo poo.

It's terrible, but was this it? https://myspace.com/bastardlovechildukhc/music/song/the-toe-of-the-camel-58303811-63455214

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

From a code standpoint, I have this (though the fireplace is gas if it makes a difference) and was told that it's not a problem as long as I don't have any wires running behind the fire place.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Sadly, no. :(

The guy who sings it sounds almost exactly like the original guy.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Are guys in a band paid the same or there's a hierarchy? Like the singer gets more followed by the guitarist/s then so on? Does the audience impact factor into it too, like say Chris Martin (Coldplay) gets a higher share?

Also, do you take home more money as a 2 or 3 piece group as opposed to a regular sized band since there's theoretically less money to split?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Xandu posted:

From a code standpoint, I have this (though the fireplace is gas if it makes a difference) and was told that it's not a problem as long as I don't have any wires running behind the fire place.

lifeiskillingme, in terms of puncturing the flue liner with the anchors, is there a brick chimneypiece, or is the chimney behind wallboard/Sheetrock? If it's the latter, and if she has a metal liner, you can probably suss out where it is with a stud finder and avoid it.

Also, if your gf doesn't know what kind of a liner she has, her chimney sweep will.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 28, 2015

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Could an Airbus A320 plane land at Santa Barbara's airport? They have the runway lengths etc on the wiki but I don't know how to read the stuff about requirements on the 320. I want JetBlue to go there but I think the planes are too big :(

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My internet stops working and I have to re-boot my cable modem. That was happening every couple weeks, but is now happening every day. It is especially likely to happen when you are doing a big upload/download. Time for a new cable modem, or do I have to call and speak to the phone jockey at the cable company?

Possibly related but I don't think so...

I'd been using CyberDuck for ftp for years. Recently I got a new iMac and installed CyberDuck again (I probably never upgraded the old version on the old mac, so it's a newer version) and it has a bunch of new features. It likes to remind me a LOT that I'm not on a secure connection to ftp. When uploading large files (this is how I sometimes deliver video to clients) it uploads the whole file, then freaks out a bit, then overwrites the file with something that is 0 bytes and errors out.

What's going on here?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Is the modem yours or the company's? Sounds like a problem I had with mine, and the answer is a new modem.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When did Dilbert's company switch to business casual?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Golbez posted:

Is the modem yours or the company's? Sounds like a problem I had with mine, and the answer is a new modem.
Mine. It lasted 18 months. Color me disappointed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

photomikey posted:

Time for a new cable modem, or do I have to call and speak to the phone jockey at the cable company?
It couldn't hurt to call them up and have them talk you through some troubleshooting, because it is possible that the modem is fine. It probably is the modem though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Disharmony posted:

Are guys in a band paid the same or there's a hierarchy? Like the singer gets more followed by the guitarist/s then so on? Does the audience impact factor into it too, like say Chris Martin (Coldplay) gets a higher share?

Also, do you take home more money as a 2 or 3 piece group as opposed to a regular sized band since there's theoretically less money to split?

All depends. As an example, everyone in Nirvana got an equal share when Nevermind was released ... but after a couple years, Cobain said "Hey, I do (and did) the majority of the song writing, I should get a bigger share." From what I've read, the other two members were fine with the new arrangement for future work, but Cobain wanted it to be retroactive.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

My internet stops working and I have to re-boot my cable modem. That was happening every couple weeks, but is now happening every day. It is especially likely to happen when you are doing a big upload/download. Time for a new cable modem, or do I have to call and speak to the phone jockey at the cable company?

Possibly related but I don't think so...

I'd been using CyberDuck for ftp for years. Recently I got a new iMac and installed CyberDuck again (I probably never upgraded the old version on the old mac, so it's a newer version) and it has a bunch of new features. It likes to remind me a LOT that I'm not on a secure connection to ftp. When uploading large files (this is how I sometimes deliver video to clients) it uploads the whole file, then freaks out a bit, then overwrites the file with something that is 0 bytes and errors out.

What's going on here?

Do you have a separate router, or is this a combo unit?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How can I clean this?

There seems to be some sort of residue on the inside (you can't see it in the picture) and I have no idea how to get in there to wipe it. I've put dishwashing liquid and hot water in there and swirled it around, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tiggum posted:

How can I clean this?

There seems to be some sort of residue on the inside (you can't see it in the picture) and I have no idea how to get in there to wipe it. I've put dishwashing liquid and hot water in there and swirled it around, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Let it sit w some solvent inside. Get a bottle brush and bend it if need be.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

Do you have a separate router, or is this a combo unit?

Two pieces. Router seems to work ok.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

Two pieces. Router seems to work ok.

Have you tried plugging the computer directly into the modem?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tiggum posted:

How can I clean this?

Depending on the residue try dry salt first, pour a bunch in and swill it around. If that (slightly abrasive) doesn't work get a bottle brush and bend it to suit.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Disharmony posted:

I'll use the band Stone Roses as an example: words/music by brown/squire. Those two get a bigger percentage of profits from record sales and redistribution than the drummer and bass player, because they wrote the songs. They will almost certainly share equally any profits from gigs and merchandise. Audience impact affects number of groupies and nothing else, in most cases.

Any session musicians will be paid only for their time unless they wrote part of a song like that sax player from baker street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Why/who would pay for an SA ad for this thread??