Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Teenagers looking exactly like young adults looking exactly like adults is a really weird design choice. My single dad felt more like having two roommates than children. The rest of the game felt slickly designed but sort of empty. There are still serious time issues, like showers that take all your time in the morning so it's a choice between eating, peeing or being clean. Nothing a Relativity mod can't fix, but after a week of it I was pretty annoyed at having no time before or after work to get anything done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Dick Trauma posted:

young adults looking exactly like adults

Except that all my female Sims develop really pronounced lines about their mouth when they age into adults. That appears to be the only difference.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The good thing about one recent update was that they put the age group on the tooltip when you hover over Sims, so you can avoid trying to flirt with teens or adults if you have a young adult. Makes sense when a Sim would only really flirt with their own age group. It was like that time I had a sim before the patch flirt with this one Sim, got married to them and found out they had 1 day left to become an elder. Can't have kids when the female is an elder.

There's no real difference in appearance of Teens, Young Adults, and Adults when you just look at them. Cassandra Goth starts the game as a Teen, and when she's an adult she looks mostly the same. Unless you play super zoomed in you won't really notice that they're different. That is one of my minor complaints about the game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

IAmTheRad posted:

It was like that time I had a sim before the patch flirt with this one Sim, got married to them and found out they had 1 day left to become an elder.

My sim's boyfriend did the same thing shortly after ignoring him for a day. My sim had to let him go. On that note, I never noticed this many elderly townie sims before TS4. Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me? Or is it the fact my settings are on Longest lifespan and my sim already drank a reverse aging potion the day before his birthday?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Avocados posted:

My sim's boyfriend did the same thing shortly after ignoring him for a day. My sim had to let him go. On that note, I never noticed this many elderly townie sims before TS4. Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me? Or is it the fact my settings are on Longest lifespan and my sim already drank a reverse aging potion the day before his birthday?

According to the patch notes, there originally was a bug where the bars were set to attract/spawn elders.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So this mod is no longer necessary?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Kyte posted:

So this mod is no longer necessary?

It will still spawn elders even if you don't have that mod. The mod just makes it so that elders won't be the largest life group.

Especially when entire houses will all age up to elder at once because EA didn't realize staggered age for NPCs would be a good idea.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I assumed the implication behind mycot's comment was the bug was fixed and therefore the mod wasn't necessary anymore. I'm a bit confused now but since the mod is not wrecking anything I guess I'll keep it.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

mycot posted:

According to the patch notes, there originally was a bug where the bars were set to attract/spawn elders.

I don't know why but this is kind of adorable :3:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

I don't know why but this is kind of adorable :3:

I originally thought this was a feature when I sent my Sim to the lounge for the first time, and misinterpreted it as a 'rich old fucks' lot.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of elders, I recently noticed that some of my elder sims died, and unlike in Sims 3 I didn't get a warning that i was about to happen. That's one of the few things that I really miss from Sims 3, I liked having that little heads up when playing families they were friends with. So far I haven't seen any tombstones either. Are tombstones just not a thing anymore for elders?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

rotoscoped posted:

Speaking of elders, I recently noticed that some of my elder sims died, and unlike in Sims 3 I didn't get a warning that i was about to happen. That's one of the few things that I really miss from Sims 3, I liked having that little heads up when playing families they were friends with. So far I haven't seen any tombstones either. Are tombstones just not a thing anymore for elders?

Back when the game was just a predictive list of things that were missing/taken out from previous games, I recall "No tombstones/graves" being one of them, and forget whether it was proven or disproven.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Tombstones are a thing, but I think not for non-active sims(or perhaps lots). If you switch to another family for a bit, and someone dies, there won't be an urn/tombstone when you switch back. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

sweeperbravo posted:

Back when the game was just a predictive list of things that were missing/taken out from previous games, I recall "No tombstones/graves" being one of them, and forget whether it was proven or disproven.

I've definitely seen tombstones and urns. Including during one hilarious mass-death in the park where like 5 elders all kicked it at once and the Death sim got real confused.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I've definitely seen tombstones and urns. Including during one hilarious mass-death in the park where like 5 elders all kicked it at once and the Death sim got real confused.

My Sims' maid just keeled over in their house and now I have a nice urn as a memorial to his poor cleaning skills.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Tombstones are definitely a thing now. How else will Ghosts come out and play?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure they were in from the beginning, they just didn't do anything until the ghosts patch was released.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
So soon we forget the Sweatbox.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

mycot posted:

That's true. To be honest I was pretty creeped out by that and tried to block it out from memory :shobon:

Something about the sims getting more expressive and realistic has made the death simulator aspect less palatable to me than when they were flat-faced cardboard tube people with fixed expressions.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

mycot posted:

Jesus, what is this?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Leelee posted:

Jesus, what is this?

it starts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525882&pagenumber=148&perpage=40#post435419382

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Sometimes it seems like the game forces near-death elderly to a public lot before they kick the bucket if you are out visiting one.

Here at the library:

Two at the bar:

My Patrick Bateman sim doesn't mind it too much:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

TheDK posted:

Sometimes it seems like the game forces near-death elderly to a public lot before they kick the bucket if you are out visiting one.

Here at the library:

Two at the bar:

My Patrick Bateman sim doesn't mind it too much:

Something is very wrong in Cabot Cove!!!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Leelee posted:

Jesus, what is this?

Professor Genki escaped the simulation and created a new reality show where Sims have to tough it out in abysmal conditions for a shot at surviving winning great prizes!*

* Prizes may not include survival and are forfeit upon death.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

This is amazing! Thanks!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Leelee posted:

This is amazing! Thanks!

Yeah, I wish it had kept going, it was pretty fantastic.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

pwnyXpress posted:

Yeah, I wish it had kept going, it was pretty fantastic.

Mara deserves a break. :(

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010
Well, I had an elderly sim die while I was playing that lot and got a tombstone when Death visited. It really does seem like only sims that are in the active household when they die get tombstones.

So my matriarch died and her son pleaded for her life. Death would have none of it, but son didn't seem to mind too much.

"Alrighty, I'll just leave you to it, then!"

I hope your rear end gets haunted :argh:

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
My sim seemed to not have noticed both her parents had died. There were gravestones right in the yard, but she wasn't sad or anything. Until about three in-game weeks later, when she had a kind of nervous breakdown because her parents were dead.

I haven't had any deaths since, so I don't know if this was a one time bug or maybe my sim is just a bit slow.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Purple Prophecy posted:

My sim seemed to not have noticed both her parents had died. There were gravestones right in the yard, but she wasn't sad or anything. Until about three in-game weeks later, when she had a kind of nervous breakdown because her parents were dead.

I haven't had any deaths since, so I don't know if this was a one time bug or maybe my sim is just a bit slow.
It may be a bug but in real life people who are all stoic for someone's death and for maybe months afterwards often do crack some time after.

I've had a couple of deaths and usually the whole household will freak out around Death except for that one person who's stuffing their face in the kitchen. "Oh, mother died? Huh. These pancakes she made are still tasty!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Fresh from EA's investor report for the third quarter of their 2015 financial year:

quote:

Although this guidance passes through essentially all of the Q3 earnings outperformance to the full year, it does not pass through all of the revenue. The reduction in our Q4 revenue expectation is based on uncertainty around future currency movements and the decision to move EA SPORTS PGA TOUR and the first Sims 4 expansion pack to FY16.
This means we won't see a full expansion until April at the earliest.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

The Kins posted:

Fresh from EA's investor report for the third quarter of their 2015 financial year:

Down with EA sports.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Down with EA sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBY7q-FITY

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Christ, I didn't realize friend requirements were back for jobs and certain aspirations. What's the quickest, scummiest way to make friends?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Making friends is easy, keeping them is hard. There's a relationship decay mod you should grab.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Making friends is easy, keeping them is hard. There's a relationship decay mod you should grab.

Or just text them from your phone every other day.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

The Kins posted:

My first thought was April 2016, so I'm actually all good with that. :shobon: At least they aren't rushing it out.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

wit posted:

Or just text them from your phone every other day.

That is still tedious and dumb.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

a7m2 posted:

I had that mod but then didn't reinstall it after reinstalling the game, and I found I didn't really need it anymore. I think one of the patches must have made it less ridiculous ("oh you didn't talk to me for a couple of days? We're now complete strangers").

I find the multitasking makes it significantly less of a hassle. Invite a friend around and chat to them while you eat dinner and watch TV. Or play chess with them. Or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EA posted on Facebook that The Sims 4 for Mac will be released on the 17th. If you have the PC version already, you'll be able to just download the Mac version from Origin.