Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Claimed by IBJJF. What was the video of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Choke Throat

Is there a time to be concerned? We've been doing a lot of chokes lately which is fun as hell, but a few weeks back I asked a partner to really give'er because I just wasn't feeling endangered.

Queue a crunching noise that I think was my trachea/Adam's apple. It didn't hurt at the time, though it did drop my voice a bit. Now it's a few weeks later and I have pain when I swallow in the back left of my throat. Not much, just a bit like pushing on a bruise. It's just the duration that's bugging me really, it has to have been nearly a month now.

widunder
May 2, 2002

General Emergency posted:

Claimed by IBJJF. What was the video of?
Gabi Garcia vs Mackenzie Dern I assume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHvwVuv2ikE

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

TollTheHounds posted:

Choke Throat

Is there a time to be concerned? We've been doing a lot of chokes lately which is fun as hell, but a few weeks back I asked a partner to really give'er because I just wasn't feeling endangered.

Queue a crunching noise that I think was my trachea/Adam's apple. It didn't hurt at the time, though it did drop my voice a bit. Now it's a few weeks later and I have pain when I swallow in the back left of my throat. Not much, just a bit like pushing on a bruise. It's just the duration that's bugging me really, it has to have been nearly a month now.

uh... go to a doctor man

your throat got crushed, a bit

also, what choke was that? gently caress air chokes I don't want my voice dropping more

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TollTheHounds posted:

a few weeks back I asked a partner to really give'er because I just wasn't feeling endangered.

Well, that was dumb. Would you ask someone to crank an armbar because you didn't feel "endangered"?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, that was dumb. Would you ask someone to crank an armbar because you didn't feel "endangered"?

Yeah, every thing about this situation seems to be a hosed up thing. Maybe it's part BJJ and part S&M.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

TollTheHounds posted:

Choke Throat

You can break your hyoid bone. It happened to Lance Storm in pro wrestling. Might be worth getting checked out. Usually if I get crushed it just hurts for up to a week.

I have throat-choked a guy REALLY loving hard though (at his request, he's a performance artist) and didn't break it, so I think it may be more of an impact thing than a pressure thing. Or maybe it's just a freak occurrence thing.

Agreed posted:

Yeah, every thing about this situation seems to be a hosed up thing. Maybe it's part BJJ and part S&M.

Sometimes you just gotta feel it. I get it. Sometimes I want to make sure my partner knows how to really choke someone, so I tell 'em to push it.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Was typing via the mobile app so kept it brief, I'm not totally retarded ( just mostly ).

To elaborate:

We were doing baseball chokes ( like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGWWd5erCNE ) and my partner just really didn't have it locked in. I wasn't being choked at all - he could have held me there all day long and it really was not uncomfortable in any way ( aka "didn't feel endangered" - not being a tough guy ), I think because he wasn't turning his elbows in or maybe didn't have a good grip. So I told him to try changing the angle/maybe not be so "nice" ( thinking he was worried about hurting me ), and when he tried it again it was super tight for second and I tapped right away but I felt the crunch. I think his grip was still not deep enough because instead of pressing my artery for the blood choke he was really just leaning on his forearm instead. In retrospect it was dumb for sure - I should have waited for a higher belt to come around and ask them to guide him/us ( and warn him the goal is to blood choke, not crush the other persons throat ) because I couldn't really see what was going on - I was just kind of theory-crafting out loud.

I just felt it's important for the other guy to know what it feels like when it's done properly ( just like I want to know ), and it's important for me to know what it feels like to be caught in a solid choke of that type. Same way when doing arm bars or ankle locks or whatever, if I don't feel uncomfortable I let the other guy know and we work it until I can tell it's going to start hurting and then tap. The difference is that with those submissions I think it's easier to work the technique before it gets to the danger-zone.

Only reason I haven't gone to a doctor yet ( might as well now, no harm ) is because I googled it and it seems like it's a pretty common thing.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

You can break your hyoid bone. It happened to Lance Storm in pro wrestling. Might be worth getting checked out. Usually if I get crushed it just hurts for up to a week.

I have throat-choked a guy REALLY loving hard though (at his request, he's a performance artist) and didn't break it, so I think it may be more of an impact thing than a pressure thing. Or maybe it's just a freak occurrence thing.

Sometimes you just gotta feel it. I get it. Sometimes I want to make sure my partner knows how to really choke someone, so I tell 'em to push it.

Exactly! Also, didn't know I had a hyoid bone, I'll ask about that.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 28, 2015

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

TollTheHounds posted:

Was typing via the mobile app so kept it brief, I'm not totally retarded ( just mostly ).

To elaborate:

We were doing baseball chokes ( like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGWWd5erCNE ) and my partner just really didn't have it locked in. I wasn't being choked at all - he could have held me there all day long and it really was not uncomfortable in any way ( aka "didn't feel endangered" - not being a tough guy ), I think because he wasn't turning his elbows in or maybe didn't have a good grip. So I told him to try changing the angle/maybe not be so "nice" ( thinking he was worried about hurting me ), and when he tried it again it was super tight for second and I tapped right away but I felt the crunch. I think his grip was still not deep enough because instead of pressing my artery for the blood choke he was really just leaning on his forearm instead. In retrospect it was dumb for sure - I should have waited for a higher belt to come around and ask them to guide him/us ( and warn him the goal is to blood choke, not crush the other persons throat ) because I couldn't really see what was going on - I was just kind of theory-crafting out loud.

I just felt it's important for the other guy to know what it feels like when it's done properly ( just like I want to know ), and it's important for me to know what it feels like to be caught in a solid choke of that type. Same way when doing arm bars or ankle locks or whatever, if I don't feel uncomfortable I let the other guy know and we work it until I can tell it's going to start hurting and then tap. The difference is that with those submissions I think it's easier to work the technique before it gets to the danger-zone.

Only reason I haven't gone to a doctor yet ( might as well now, no harm ) is because I googled it and it seems like it's a pretty common thing.

Yeah dude I totally get telling them to put it on. I did the same exact thing last week with the same exact choke. I was just all hacky and coughy for a few minutes though 'cause I tapped really fast and she let go.

Nothing wrong IMO with a throat-crush baseball choke though. Choke what you can choke, whether air or blood. Just realize the situation and try not to hurt your partner seriously so they'll be injured after.

Somepeople just have poor body control and maybe can't bring on pressure gradually the right way early on.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 28, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Nothing wrong IMO with a throat-crush baseball choke though. Choke what you can choke, whether air or blood. Just realize the situation and try not to hurt your partner seriously so they'll be injured after.

This is stupid. The whole point of the blood choke is that it is more efficient and safer. If you don't want to injure your partner don't try to crush their trachea.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is stupid. The whole point of the blood choke is that it is more efficient and safer. If you don't want to injure your partner don't try to crush their trachea.

And if you don't want me to crush the trachea (slowly, with control. you haven't rolled with me. I'm super light-going.) then turn your head so the pressure goes elsewhere or tap.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
and then you sweep that motherfucker onto some concrete

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

And if you don't want me to crush the trachea (slowly, with control. you haven't rolled with me. I'm super light-going.) then turn your head so the pressure goes elsewhere or tap.

My point is that if you are doing air chokes, your technique needs improvement and you should readjust to get the blood choke. That is why you're rolling isn't it, to improve your technique?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My point is that if you are doing air chokes, your technique needs improvement and you should readjust to get the blood choke.

Nah, windpipe chokes are their own thing, they're not automatically inferior to blood chokes.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My point is that if you are doing air chokes, your technique needs improvement and you should readjust to get the blood choke. That is why you're rolling isn't it, to improve your technique?

Windpipe chokes are a thing. Do not try to tell me they are bad technique. The fact that I can interchange between the two and recognize when I am doing one and when I am doing another demonstrates my technique.

TIL Anderson Silva has bad technique because of how he choked Dan Hendo. :rolleyes:

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I only do diaphragm chokes, anything else is too thuggish for my liking *hat tip*

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Windpipe chokes are a thing. Do not try to tell me they are bad technique. The fact that I can interchange between the two and recognize when I am doing one and when I am doing another demonstrates my technique.

TIL Anderson Silva has bad technique because of how he choked Dan Hendo. :rolleyes:

youre reading too much into this, go back through his posts in this threads and you will understand why he posts stupid things

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Yuriy posted:

youre reading too much into this, go back through his posts in this threads and you will understand why he posts stupid things

I don't care why people post stupid things, I will post smart things because this is supposed to be an informative thread.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

They're legit and they are very painful to receive. I hate choke day.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So, grading. Got my first tab after showing a couple beginners techniques, super easy. I guess it was just down to attendance and not being completely useless. Really happy all the same, first step, plus it means I'm able to roll on the open mat now.

Some people got their blues today, that was fun too!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

10-finger and 5-finger guillotines are basically all about driving the knuckle of your thumb into someone's trachea to get a quick tap, it's perfectly legitimate. For a baseball-style choke I think it's the fault of the guy on the bottom if it ends up as a trachea crush since you should be able to turn into the choker to relieve the pressure while trying to fight it off.

Anyways if your throat still hurts weeks afterwards it's probably worth getting it checked out. I've had soreness while swallowing for like a few days after drilling lots of chokes but never for that extended period of time.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

colonel_korn posted:

10-finger and 5-finger guillotines are basically all about driving the knuckle of your thumb into someone's trachea to get a quick tap, it's perfectly legitimate. For a baseball-style choke I think it's the fault of the guy on the bottom if it ends up as a trachea crush since you should be able to turn into the choker to relieve the pressure while trying to fight it off.

Anyways if your throat still hurts weeks afterwards it's probably worth getting it checked out. I've had soreness while swallowing for like a few days after drilling lots of chokes but never for that extended period of time.

Yup. Also gogoplatas are air chokes (unless you do it from the side, which I do at times, it becomes a cobra clutch with your leg) and those are looked at as being like the most technical super impossible thing ever by a lot of people (they're not, they're no more technical than an armbar or a triangle, but they are perceived as such) so air choke does not equal non-technical.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Modified guillotines likes the Marcelotine and Mackenzietine are trachea smashers and folks should really learn them.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
does anyone remember the video of the cody clutch, which is like a combination of a terrible baseball choke and an upside peruvian necktie?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

origami posted:

Modified guillotines likes the Marcelotine and Mackenzietine are trachea smashers and folks should really learn them.

Um, not sure about Marcelo's variation but Mackenzie's is definitely a blood choke, that's why people go out from it so quickly. The grip ensures that he's putting lots of pressure on both carotids.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The Mackenzitine is definitely a blood choke; Marcelo's guillotine variation is a windpipe choke, although it depends more on "folding" the neck over the hand to close the windpipe than direct trachea pressure.

In a choke that can be both, like the RNC, it's usually "preferable" for it to be a blood choke because they work much faster than windpipe chokes, so the uke has less time to work a defense for it, but there are plenty of legitimate techniques that are windpipe-based. If you're applying the sub with enough control to give uke time to tap, it shouldn't matter as they should be tapping before they're getting throat injuries anyway.

It sounds like what happened to TollTheHounds is something that happens a lot with various armlocks - Their partner had the wrong angle on the technique so they were applying gradual force but nothing was happening; then they change the angle but they're still applying the same amount of force they'd gradually built up to applying (rather than starting over) so all of a sudden it's a lot of force into the new angle and uke doesn't have time to tap before they get hurt a bit.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

colonel_korn posted:

Actually yeah, I don't think I was turning in at all. In which case it's also my fault for sure. It was just a drill so I guess I didn't think to turn in, which I should have been doing since the drill can benefit both bottom/top. I just kept focusing on his grip/arms and not what *I* was doing.

That's kind of par for the course for me right now anyway - I focus on ONE thing or ONE part of a technique and kind of forget about the rest. Not intentionally I think, it's just my brain is still trying to catalogue everything and my muscles are trying to memorize it all.

fatherdog posted:

The Mackenzitine is definitely a blood choke; Marcelo's guillotine variation is a windpipe choke, although it depends more on "folding" the neck over the hand to close the windpipe than direct trachea pressure.

In a choke that can be both, like the RNC, it's usually "preferable" for it to be a blood choke because they work much faster than windpipe chokes, so the uke has less time to work a defense for it, but there are plenty of legitimate techniques that are windpipe-based. If you're applying the sub with enough control to give uke time to tap, it shouldn't matter as they should be tapping before they're getting throat injuries anyway.

It sounds like what happened to TollTheHounds is something that happens a lot with various armlocks - Their partner had the wrong angle on the technique so they were applying gradual force but nothing was happening; then they change the angle but they're still applying the same amount of force they'd gradually built up to applying (rather than starting over) so all of a sudden it's a lot of force into the new angle and uke doesn't have time to tap before they get hurt a bit.

Yeah I think that's spot on. Initially he was really tensing and trying to use his arms to choke ( just like I do since I also always forget to pull my elbows in and twist ), so he was really straining but it wasn't doing anything. So then he tried the other angle but was still going at 110% and bam!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hey all,

Crossposting from another thread some poo poo I found out today from my neurologist was pretty loving far from what I expected.

From the other thread -

"(But today I found out from my neurologist I'm indefinitely out of any contact sports until they do more research on my particular situation and need to treat myself like someone with a severe spinal cord injury until otherwise. So...gently caress my Jiu Jitsu/Muay Thai hobby I guess.)"

So, gently caress. Glad I paid for a year upfront to save money. Guess I'll be trying out that capoeira pretty soon. I'm bummed. My new year resolution was to have an amateur Muay Thai or MMA bout by the end of the year along with some non-athletic goals. loving God drat frustrating.

Thanks for letting me vent. You're my MMA online buddies.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
You'd only been there for a like a couple of weeks or something right? If I were you I'd talk to the guys at the gym and see if maybe they'd compromise with you somehow. I know any gym I've trained at would have refunded the money.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Opal posted:

You'd only been there for a like a couple of weeks or something right? If I were you I'd talk to the guys at the gym and see if maybe they'd compromise with you somehow. I know any gym I've trained at would have refunded the money.

I'd been going from September to December when I had to lay off. I know it doesn't seem like much but I used to do "MMA" for about a year and it felt fun to find a place where I fit in and enjoyed the sport. I've always been a little pudgy and was looking forward to losing that too. I hate working out but when I've fenced, did MMA, and now was doing Jiu Jitsu the weight came right off.

It's just frustrating. I don't was to be a somewhat "disabled" thirty year old and there could be declining conditions in my health that could slowly start to creep in. I could die old without problems or eventually face some partial or complete paralysis.

I'm not going to ask for a refund unless I try their other options, (straight up cardio classes, capoeira, maybe Muay Thai without any sparring) and go from there. It just sucks knowing the competing aspect (rolling at the end of each class) which is what I loved is now a non option. Today I found out getting rear ended is one of the main things that makes my condition go from bad to "hosed."

I don't mean to stink up the thread with my personal life. It just blows and I only recently mentioned it. In my working all nights lifestyle I don't have any friends or parents I can call and whine to at the moment.

Edit : Also, I'll always have this from my little white belt tournament. :)

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 29, 2015

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Get it prorated, but most importantly stay healthy!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What's going on? I stopped listening to my doctors a while back because the pain system is full of vultures who don't even want you to get better, but there sure enough are some good reasons not to do BJJ. However I do wonder at a condition that would stop you from BJJ but allow the acrobatics involved in a really flashy, movement-based style like that.

edit: i constantly, constantly have back spasms in my muscles but I swear to god BJJ has been so good for my general health and wellbeing that I couldn't care less about the back issues, when the SLIGHTEST twinge in my back used to end my day. But, my ruptured discs (four of 'em, L2 through S1, 45% gone now and took an inch and a half of height with 'em) have pretty much healed. If they hadn't, I'd be busy trying to heal that damage with activity better suited for that (did it once, can do it however many times I hope!).

Muscle cramps from overworking a relatively weak muscle group aren't the same thing as worsening an existing injury and you have to take that seriously (as I will, should I reinjure myself for real in the spine). But man if there is ANY way, find it. Don't let A Doctor tell you that you can't do it, make a bunch of them tell you it and make sure they all exhausted some other poo poo on the way there, if possible.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 29, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

does anyone remember the video of the cody clutch, which is like a combination of a terrible baseball choke and an upside peruvian necktie?

Coty Clutch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgEEeChvPjw

Coty Lock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQLEMzd9qg

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

I am always trying to articulate this to white and low blues because they will frantically try to correct joint locks and it worries me they'll get it right but still keep the same pressure cause injury.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Captain Log posted:

It's just frustrating. I don't was to be a somewhat "disabled" thirty year old and there could be declining conditions in my health that could slowly start to creep in. I could die old without problems or eventually face some partial or complete paralysis.

I'm not going to ask for a refund unless I try their other options, (straight up cardio classes, capoeira, maybe Muay Thai without any sparring) and go from there. It just sucks knowing the competing aspect (rolling at the end of each class) which is what I loved is now a non option. Today I found out getting rear ended is one of the main things that makes my condition go from bad to "hosed."

I know exactly what you're feeling. I went like 2 years without rolling because of my neck. It was horrible.

All you can do is everything else. Stretch. Drill. Do calisthenics. Lift if you can. Kettlebells, macebells, those saved my life when I couldn't roll.

You will improve your health by doing these things. Hopefully during that time something can be done medically that will allow you to roll again.

I don't know neurologically what is going on or what the deal is, but PM me if you need to. I've been through this and I'm on the other side now and I know it's possible to get through it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I know exactly what you're feeling. I went like 2 years without rolling because of my neck. It was horrible.

All you can do is everything else. Stretch. Drill. Do calisthenics. Lift if you can. Kettlebells, macebells, those saved my life when I couldn't roll.

You will improve your health by doing these things. Hopefully during that time something can be done medically that will allow you to roll again.

I don't know neurologically what is going on or what the deal is, but PM me if you need to. I've been through this and I'm on the other side now and I know it's possible to get through it.

I really do appreciate it sir. For reals.

I have a Chiari malformation and had it explained to me that my doctor telling me I can do any contact sport would literally be malpractice on her part. I basically have 7 millimeters of herniated brain coming out of the bottom of the base of my skull that blocks spinal fluid and can get worse for nearly any reason at any time. Apparently one of the main causes of paralysis for my condition is getting rear ended in a car.

And get this, it's apparently really common to see declines from anything from a blow to the back of the head to a loving SNEEZING fit.

Sadly, this isn't something that is likely to improve. I could ignore her and do what I've done for thirty years - but my symptoms are incredibly mild compared to what I could be dealing with. It's a lot to absorb.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dude that's super unlucky and terrible, but it sounds like you just found out about this recently. Definitely go get a second opinion, doctors make mistakes.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That doesn't sound like the kind of opinion that a doctor would just spray around and be like "yeah whatever it's probably this".

That sounds like a hyper-specific condition that's been bounced off a bunch of brain specialists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That doesn't sound like the kind of opinion that a doctor would just spray around and be like "yeah whatever it's probably this".

That sounds like a hyper-specific condition that's been bounced off a bunch of brain specialists.

You're right, doctors are infallible and have never made mistakes or been mistaken.