Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Erebro posted:

I'm not familiar with Kindred of the East (I read through the book at a used-book FLGS once and was immediately turned off by the Orientalist Smugness Bull), but Ming-Xiao's monster form is a Demon Shintai, isn't it? A skill born from bargaining with the Kuei-jin's version of the Beast?
Freely reshapable body and detachable limbs suggest 'Flesh Shintai' to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Ephemeron posted:

Freely reshapable body and detachable limbs suggest 'Flesh Shintai' to me.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can spend Demon chi to access the Demon shintai as well as regular chi to activate other disciplines, provided you don't overstep your "generational" limit of chi per turn.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Honestly, all I want out of the answer to the question of "why is Melissa so strong?" is that it's not LOLCAINE. I hate that idea, and the fact that it's probably what happened is pretty annoying.

In other news, I've got all the footage for the LP proper recorded, and now comes the agonizing process of uploading the videos I want to post.

My upload speed is terrible, so I hope I can bum some speed off the university network, otherwise things will slow down even more than they already will with me being in the middle of finals season.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

My favourite explanation is that Melissa's sire dabbled in diablerie. That would explain the generation and the lack of his friends/allies in the city (he ate them all).

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Ephemeron posted:

My favourite explanation is that Melissa's sire dabbled in diablerie. That would explain the generation and the lack of his friends/allies in the city (he ate them all).

But LaCroix says the sire was a loyal and trusted member for a long time. If they had dabbled in diabled, wouldn't somebody with auspex picked it up or noticed it some other way, or something?

Though now that you mention it, how would that work? If a 7th ate enough vampires to get up to, say, 4th, then sired, would they be 8th, or 5th?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

thetrueoskar posted:

Though now that you mention it, how would that work? If a 7th ate enough vampires to get up to, say, 4th, then sired, would they be 8th, or 5th?
5th, almost certainly. Diablerie increases your generation, no ifs and no buts.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
Might some explanation for the PC's power level be connected to all the elder vitae they're constantly quaffing? (Disclaimer: I know nothing about WoD lore.) Could one unwittingly commit diablerie by being fed a vampire's blood via blood packs?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Bolingbroke posted:

Might some explanation for the PC's power level be connected to all the elder vitae they're constantly quaffing? (Disclaimer: I know nothing about WoD lore.) Could one unwittingly commit diablerie by being fed a vampire's blood via blood packs?

No, you can't. Diablerie requires both intention and the actual body of the vampire in question, as you're eating the soul, not just the blood.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

K Prime posted:

No, you can't. Diablerie requires both intention and the actual body of the vampire in question, as you're eating the soul, not just the blood.

That, and in vanilla, I'm pretty sure there's only one bag of elder vitae in the entire game.

EDIT: UPLOADING GIGABYTES IN MINUTES WHOAAAAAA

Also, have something that happened when I was going through the werewolf bit again with god/noclip for the Sabbat ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUCAblpxSvk

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 27, 2015

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
What happens when you Diablerize a member of another clan? Do you become a half-and-half? Do you have access to all of the powers of both clans? Only the new, or the old you had?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Vagon posted:

What happens when you Diablerize a member of another clan? Do you become a half-and-half? Do you have access to all of the powers of both clans? Only the new, or the old you had?

You get to spend 10 XP to learn the main clan discipline of that clan at R1, if you don't already know it. If you do already know that clan's core discipline, and the victim is better at it than you, you get to increase your own rank in it. You stay whatever clan you were. If you're the same clan as the victim, you get +1 rank to each of your current disciplines that the victim has higher than you.

In story terms, you absorb some of their mystical talents along with their soul.

I can't help feeling that if you actually believed that you were eternally damned to hell for being a vampire -- as some of them have done, going from the splats and novels -- you'd be rather grateful to be diablerized rather than just killed. Oblivion has to be a better bet than infinite torture.

EDIT: clarity, comment.

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 27, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Ghostwoods posted:

You get to spend 10 XP to learn the main clan discipline of that clan at R1, if you don't already know it. If you do already know that clan's core discipline, and the victim is better at it than you, you get to increase your own rank in it. You stay whatever clan you were. If you're the same clan as the victim, you get +1 rank to each of your current disciplines that the victim has higher than you.

In story terms, you absorb some of their mystical talents along with their soul.

I can't help feeling that if you actually believed that you were eternally damned to hell for being a vampire -- as some of them have done, going from the splats and novels -- you'd be rather grateful to be diablerized rather than just killed. Oblivion has to be a better bet than infinite torture.

EDIT: clarity, comment.

Of course, diablerie can backfire if you try to skip too many generations and their soul is too strong. As it is, diablerists often unconsciously pick up some of the physical mannerism of their victims. Sometimes it doesn't stop there if you were too ambitious.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DeusExMachinima posted:

Of course, diablerie can backfire if you try to skip too many generations and their soul is too strong. As it is, diablerists often unconsciously pick up some of the physical mannerism of their victims. Sometimes it doesn't stop there if you were too ambitious.

Wasn't there a story of somebody that let themselves get diablerized, knowing that their soul would eventually overtake the diablerer's body, essentially giving them a clean start?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TheMcD posted:

Wasn't there a story of somebody that let themselves get diablerized, knowing that their soul would eventually overtake the diablerer's body, essentially giving them a clean start?

I'm sure there are other examples, but that's what happened with Saulot when the head Tremere tried eating him. It took him a while to win over, but one thing that never changes between Gehenna scenarios is that Saulot is back and he's got the Tremere's body.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

TheMcD posted:

Also, have something that happened when I was going through the werewolf bit again with god/noclip for the Sabbat ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUCAblpxSvk

Man, Tasmanian Devil really slowed down in his old age.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Bolingbroke posted:

No, but it's an excellent way to acquire a bunch of conflicting blood bonds (or a single enslaving one).

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Ephemeron posted:

No, but it's an excellent way to acquire a bunch of conflicting blood bonds (or a single enslaving one).

Wait, why are vampire blood packs as power ups even a thing then? That seems horribly risky to use for anybody.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ephemeron posted:

Aithon posted:

Wait, why are vampire blood packs as power ups even a thing then? That seems horribly risky to use for anybody.

They taste great and are extremely nourishing and can be drunk without any risk if the vampires in question are dead.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Diablerie has to be performed on vampire that's of a lower generation than you, yeah? You can't chomp down on a bunch of your peers or those of a higher generation than you for the same effect?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

tlarn posted:

Diablerie has to be performed on vampire that's of a lower generation than you, yeah? You can't chomp down on a bunch of your peers or those of a higher generation than you for the same effect?

You can diablerize higher generation vampires, but you won't drop in generation at all. You do still gain access to signature disciplines and the like.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

You can diablerize higher generation vampires, but you won't drop in generation at all. You do still gain access to signature disciplines and the like.
And it still tastes amazing and is addictive as hell.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Ephemeron posted:

And it still tastes amazing and is addictive as hell.

Bet'cha can't eat just one.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Yeah, although a stereotypical diablerist image is that of an over-ambitiuous neonate eating his or her way up the ranks, an elder in the throes of diablerie addiction is far more terrifying, since it will devour every Kindred in the domain who fails to timely flee.

(Gehenna is pretty much that, but on a global scale)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

i seem to recall reading that, generally speaking, the lower the generation you are, the more likely you are to not be satisfied by "normal" human blood anymore, craving something more potent like kindred vitae instead. Or am I misremembering?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. It's also the express train to the Beast--unless you're on a Path that allows it, it's an automatic loss of humanity (with the chance of losing another dot!)--so your bloody path will be perilous and short.

System Metternich posted:

i seem to recall reading that, generally speaking, the lower the generation you are, the more likely you are to not be satisfied by "normal" human blood anymore, craving something more potent like kindred vitae instead. Or am I misremembering?
Well, in nWoD as you remain active your blood potence ticks upwards and you lose the ability to feed from animals, then from people, then you have to feed on vampires at the highest levels. Torpor cools you off.

In oWoD, there was a flaw called "Methuselah's Thirst" that required the bearer to drink vampire blood. It's not really codified in the system, but it's generally an accepted axiom that if you get Really Friggen Old (1000s of years, a la the biblical "Methuselah") you lose your taste for human blood. It's why the Antediluvians are the scary menace to vampires: they're really thirsty, and the only thing that can slake their impossible thirst is vampire blood, the older the better.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 28, 2015

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OAquinas posted:

It's not really codified in the system, but it's generally an accepted axiom that if you get Really Friggen Old (1000s of years, a la the biblical "Methuselah") you lose your taste for human blood. It's why the Antediluvians are the scary menace to vampires: they're really thirsty, and the only thing that can slake their impossible thirst is vampire blood, the older the better.
I think there's a system given in one of the Gehenna scenarios, but it's more than an accepted axiom, it's explicitly laid out in Time of Thin Blood (in the Appendix that kicks off Gehenna, talking about the awakening of the Ravnos Antediluvian):

quote:

Then, the Ravnos Antediluvian awoke, smelling the spilled vitae... of Methusaelahs. As vampires age, they must feed upon increasingly potent blood. First, the blood of animals no longer sustains them. After several centuries, only the vitae of other vampires can satisfy their thirst. The true Antediluvians are more than 10 millenia old. They passed the "Methuselah's Thirst" stage long ago.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's still worth noting, by the way, that a vampire does not have to engage in diablerie when he or she drinks a vampire dry.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's still worth noting, by the way, that a vampire does not have to engage in diablerie when he or she drinks a vampire dry.

Obviously, the Camarilla defines "diablerie" as "drinking kindred blood", since they don't really want to explain what the distinction is between that and slurping on the victim's soul. You'd give the neonates ideas.

The rules make the distinction pretty clear, though: the negative effects (e.g. the black streaks in your aura) happen only if you finish the job, merely drinking another supernatural mosquito dry isn't enough.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

TheMcD posted:

That, and in vanilla, I'm pretty sure there's only one bag of elder vitae in the entire game.

EDIT: UPLOADING GIGABYTES IN MINUTES WHOAAAAAA

Just letting you know that youtube accepts 60fps video now. Not that you'll rerecord everything, but still.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gatz posted:

Just letting you know that youtube accepts 60fps video now. Not that you'll rerecord everything, but still.

Yeah, I actually know that, but the problem is that writing in 60fps is too much for my hard drive, so not only does it take up too much space, but it also introduces a lot of lag during playback. I originally started recording in 60fps for the potential for those frame perfect moments, but quickly gave up on it when those problems crept up. Not having a dedicated tower for this stuff, instead doing it on a laptop, does bring some problems with it. I'll have to make sure the games I LP after this have a lower resolution and are less graphically intensive.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm sure there are other examples, but that's what happened with Saulot when the head Tremere tried eating him. It took him a while to win over, but one thing that never changes between Gehenna scenarios is that Saulot is back and he's got the Tremere's body.

There's also Mithras, who's reaction to his soul being devoured by some thinblooded rear end in a top hat Sabbat was to sigh and proceed to take over the idiot's body.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Mental image of him just being tired of this poo poo is amusing.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Mental image of him just being tired of this poo poo is amusing.

"gently caress, and I liked this body!"

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

"And this one has such ugly tatoos! Ugh, maybe I can trick some Ventrue neonate to try next. They're usually pretty nice looking."

I love the idea of a body surfing ancient vampire monster trying on newbs like he's trying on new suits.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Hey, what happens if two vampires bite each other at the same time? Double blood bond? Do they not run out of blood points because they replenish as fast as they get depleted? Or do they diablrize each pther and swap bodies and clans?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Hey, what happens if two vampires bite each other at the same time? Double blood bond?
Yep. And since a non-Giovanni vampire's bite triggers feelings of immense pleasure, mutual Kiss is pretty much the closest equivalent Kindred have to sex.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Lasombra and Assamite signature characters have had an on again off again relationship like that for centuries. Somehow. Despite the Assamite blood curse.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

The Lasombra and Assamite signature characters have had an on again off again relationship like that for centuries. Somehow. Despite the Assamite blood curse.

Lucita and Fatima al-Faqadi. They're professional rivals in that they're both assassins, but also former traveling companions. Back in the Dark Ages, they bummed around with Anatole, the Malkavian Prophet of Gehenna. The two of them have also had conflicted personal feelings which probably stems from a mutual partial blood bond. Fatima also saved Lucita from her sire, which basically secured Lucita's right to take his place as Archbishop of the Sabbat.

EDIT: Fatima is very strong-willed for an Assamite warrior. During Gehenna she holds off the Withering by sheer faith, and even manages to convince Haqim to spare her life, basically saying that she can belong to both Allah and him in her unlife.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Besides the body stealing thing, there's a roll you make when diablarizing another character ; if you roll badly you get a mental derangement and take on some of the victims mannerisms and attitudes towards other characters, if you botch it, they get to haunt you and make you hallucinate stuff.

It's kind of hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

There's also a Protean power you can take that makes your diablerist take none of the benefits, but all of the drawbacks of diablerie. It gives you NO game benefit whatsoever. It's just a final gently caress YOU to whoever takes you down :v:

• Locked thread