Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Exploring past ages is a somewhat big deal in my game so they come up a lot. The Wilder was a powerful champion dedicated to hunting down magic; the Ranger Lord was sort of the "in between" of the High Druid and the rest of civilization and was more animal oriented (the High Druid more or less "inherited" the animal bit after he died); the Three were once the Five, but at one point each was their own icon; in the age of the first Crusader, who nearly succeeded in conquering the kingdom, one of their allies (and later enemies once it became apparent that the dark gods were not interested in maintaining the whole Icons thing) was the Corrupter, who created most of the particularly bizarre or dangerous monsters that still exist.

I mean I'm basically just stealing whole heartedly from other places so do that, is I guess my advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean I'm basically just stealing whole heartedly from other places so do that, is I guess my advice.

This is the real secret.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

PublicOpinion posted:

The Beast Lord (didn't actually get an 'Icon' name during the game, not terribly attached to that one)(High Druid/The Three analog): Beastman Icon, was like a minotaur but his animal parts were from something more ancient and stranger than the animals people knew. Like the High Druid but didn't speak for the trees. Held all life in the same regard (this is not as nice as it sounds, as whether he'd eat a person or a cow was based purely on whichever was more convenient). Tried to make sure there was enough habitat for everyone, civilized people included. His final act was sacrificing himself to chain the Koru Behemoths to their migration route to keep them from stomping all of civilization into the dirt.

For some reason I thought that old Icon got named the Shepard which is probably a better name for them.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
For icons that existed in the past, I'm trying to play up the monks/ogre mages animosity, so I put in some vague backstory about the Grandmaster of Flowers having a currently-unnamed ogre mage icon rival, who was the patron of chaos mages. I figure I'll let the party's monk and chaos mage collaborate to name him/her when it gets important.

I've also started incorporating a devil icon, the King of Chains, into the party's archaeological expeditions (they like to look into pre-13th Age stuff and find relics from the Empire's history). Devils are currently really ambiguous compared to demons - no mortal's reported meeting anything stronger than a honey devil, ever - and the PCs are starting to show a lot of interest in them, so my current plan is that at some point they'll get to meet the King of Chains and learn all about how pre-First Age, this land belonged to devils until some kind of catastrophe drove them into the Pit, and the Wizard King built his empire on the ruins of their cities, using the devil knowledge and technology he was able to recover and decipher. (I guess the logical conclusion of this would also be that the devils invented undeath, and using their secrets was how the Wizard King turned into the Lich King).

Doing ancient history stuff has been a lot of fun, actually. I liked the Bestiary's discussion of a sahuagin city in the Iron Sea, so the party eventually discovered some Wizard King-era treatises on elves that revealed 'sea elves, from Sahua on the coast' were once part of the Court of Stars, until the Wizard King sank the city and turned the seas against the empire. I have no idea why he would sink it or how the elves would then become sahuagin but I suspect that'll get filled out real quickly as everybody starts theorizing and trying to fill in the blanks.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, always do this. On reflection I'm pretty sure the 'Wizard King uses salvaged devil technology to become mighty god-king' thing is actually just Apocalypse's origin story.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've got some serious elements in the story but honestly, the Dragon Empire is so standard/over the top before player details are added that it's hard to run it as anything but a comedy where pigeon-based drone strikes are something the Archmage uses to keep people in line, the Blue is a mad scientist in a fabulous underwater city, the wood elves are fae-klingons, and the dwarf cleric gal's Spirits of the Righteous is fluffed as her beard glowing brightly, lashing at enemies and carefully encircling a friend to defend them with its silky softness.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I don't want to give the wrong impression of my game. My campaign had serious moments, but also featured what we know as the Mario Party dungeon, where a shortcut through a crappy demiplane curated by a funtime party-demon wound up with the party forced to compete in arbitrary and stupid contests. My last campaign had a guy get murdered by Jiminy, the tiefling-reskinned-as-lizardman bard, and that character came back as a revenge-obsessed cyborg to murder the new and completely unrelated tiefling bard while calling her Jim the whole time. A semi-important NPC was literally Luten Plunder from Captain Planet, and the party had to fight a giant statue of him. There was a skeleton sentai team. There was literally everything our Barbarian/Chaos Mage ever did, especially after she was decapitated and came back from the dead with her head still detachable. When the real party was going to go directly from one combat to another we switched to Action Squad Beta for an RP break and the players took over some of the NPCs (with no combat bits, just backgrounds and stats) as they escaped Glitterhaegen while it was under assault by elementals led by LORD PERMAFROST and we all ate as much scenery as possible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't know if the dark elves actually live underground in the original setting, but the Dark Elf fighter from Drakenhall and the Wood Elf princess's player decided the Dark Elf/Other Elf war ages ago was caused entirely by the previous Elf Queen being arachnophobic and was basically just a giant misunderstanding.

Also, an actual rules question because their Necromancer loves finishing off enemies with the whole 'instakill near death enemies and heal buddies' spell after his luchador skeleton piledrives them (We've decided it's not actually his skeleton. We're not sure where the Lich King got a luchador skeleton or why he shoved it in a half ghost, but it happened): Can you swap your Move action for a Quick action, etc? So if he doesn't need to move, and there are two weakened foes around, could he finish off both and still get off his Standard?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 27, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

PublicOpinion posted:

A semi-important NPC was literally Luten Plunder from Captain Planet,
That guy was not not important. He was MEMORABLE...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Night10194 posted:

Also, an actual rules question because their Necromancer loves finishing off enemies with the whole 'instakill near death enemies and heal buddies' spell after his luchador skeleton piledrives them (We've decided it's not actually his skeleton. We're not sure where the Lich King got a luchador skeleton or why he shoved it in a half ghost, but it happened): Can you swap your Move action for a Quick action, etc? So if he doesn't need to move, and there are two weakened foes around, could he finish off both and still get off his Standard?

The Rogue in my party has a very standard Thiefy-Guild style backstory, but seems to have, in play, just turned into a luchadore, as ever description she gives in combat has her vaulting over tables to kick people, jumping through the air and grabbing Kobolds by the neck and swinging around them and when attacking an unsuspecting Kobold from behind last night, she thought her ideal move to finish him off was a belly-to-back suplex.

I remain continuously shocked at just how well the old game adage of just having a bunch of ninjas appear works, every single time. When I asked about stuff everyone enjoyed in the game last night, the top of everyone's list was fighting a giant horde of reptilian ninjas, possibly aged 13-19.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Solomonic posted:

... the monks/ogre mages animosity, so I put in some vague backstory about the Grandmaster of Flowers having a currently-unnamed ogre mage icon rival, who was the patron of chaos mages. I figure I'll let the party's monk and chaos mage collaborate to name him/her when it gets important.

So he's the ruler of the Ogre Magi? If they don't have a suggestion, might I recommend The Sh'Ogrun?

[Edit] I had such a good chuckle at that, myself, that I think I'm gonna use it in my game now.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 27, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The only ancient icon in my campaign also happened to be the big bad; he was described in the very back of the 13A Bestiary, the Midnight Zorigami.

I had a player with a warforged sorceror and together we cooked up a backstory where all of the warforged were actually zorigami, named after various demons, and engaged in a Highlander-style conflict with each other to become successor to Midnight.

Before the campaign was put on hold the only one they encountered was the masked monk Belphegor, posing as an ally to the party.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Jackard posted:

The only ancient icon in my campaign also happened to be the big bad; he was described in the very back of the 13A Bestiary, the Midnight Zorigami.

I had a player with a warforged sorceror and together we cooked up a backstory where all of the warforged were actually zorigami, named after various demons, and engaged in a Highlander-style conflict with each other to become successor to Midnight.

Before the campaign was put on hold the only one they encountered was the masked monk Belphegor, posing as an ally to the party.

Zorigami really lend themselves to Highlander stuff don't they? In my game the party got really attached to a weird, weak zorigami NPC wizard that they're dragging around with them and have already had to defend him from people trying to kill him for his sweet, juicy mechanical parts.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea, if you make them humanoid...

I don't think my players picked up on the demons because I was introducing obscure names like Aamon and Belphegor before moving on to more obvious ones like Azazel and Belial.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 27, 2015

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Blasphemeral posted:

So he's the ruler of the Ogre Magi? If they don't have a suggestion, might I recommend The Sh'Ogrun?

well, he's got a name now! I can't resist puns.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Here's a forgotten Icon for you: The Derro.
A Dwarven philosopher, inventor, theologian, artist, thinker, and erudite speaker the likes of which had never been known. Socrates, Lincoln, Solomon, Shakespeare, all clumsy babies next to The Derro.

And then he went missing, igniting the catostrophic end of his Age. A new race emerged inexplicably from the wars, disasters, and plagues: the derro of today.

TL;DR, a one man Tower of Babel

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

PublicOpinion posted:

I don't want to give the wrong impression of my game. My campaign had serious moments, but also featured what we know as the Mario Party dungeon, where a shortcut through a crappy demiplane curated by a funtime party-demon wound up with the party forced to compete in arbitrary and stupid contests. My last campaign had a guy get murdered by Jiminy, the tiefling-reskinned-as-lizardman bard, and that character came back as a revenge-obsessed cyborg to murder the new and completely unrelated tiefling bard while calling her Jim the whole time. A semi-important NPC was literally Luten Plunder from Captain Planet, and the party had to fight a giant statue of him. There was a skeleton sentai team. There was literally everything our Barbarian/Chaos Mage ever did, especially after she was decapitated and came back from the dead with her head still detachable. When the real party was going to go directly from one combat to another we switched to Action Squad Beta for an RP break and the players took over some of the NPCs (with no combat bits, just backgrounds and stats) as they escaped Glitterhaegen while it was under assault by elementals led by LORD PERMAFROST and we all ate as much scenery as possible.

Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind~~~

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ryven and myself are playtesting a couple classes we just finished up.

Juggernaut - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-yuDt9x_PPhQDRgDvD-yK9d5fdVesQ1XbwiJtAYqptI/edit?usp=sharing

Dreadnought -  https://docs.google.com/document/d/11AJDZIzsaVLIFoysE2EJPOMYtQUC360BMGCe1awYfMw/edit?usp=sharing

Let us know what you guys think! Feedback would be appreciated. If you have detailed feedback please send it to starglitchgames via the domain of Gmail dot com.

Edit: These are still in playtest mode, please don't repost or rehost them anywhere.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 27, 2015

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Excited to see the finished products on the Dread/Jugg. They both look like fun classes that are robust without getting overly complicated.

I noticed today there's been some updates on the Pelgrane site about the first couple issues of the upcoming monthly thing. Apparently February's issue is going to introduce FROG PEOPLE. First we got playable fungaloids and now playable frogs. Owns.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Solomonic posted:

Excited to see the finished products on the Dread/Jugg. They both look like fun classes that are robust without getting overly complicated.

I noticed today there's been some updates on the Pelgrane site about the first couple issues of the upcoming monthly thing. Apparently February's issue is going to introduce FROG PEOPLE. First we got playable fungaloids and now playable frogs. Owns.

Hell yes I can finally make Glenn, the virtuous swordsman who has been cursed by an ancient wizard into being an awesome frog man.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

If any of you guys backed 13A in Glorantha and have been ignoring the updates, you might want to start paying attention.

Rob Heinsoo posted:

Playtesting has gone well for us and a crew of first-testers but it’s time to get some feedback from a wider swath. We’ll have a playtest packet in your Glorantha.com accounts later this week, containing a bunch of first level characters, the Horn of Snakepipe Hollow adventure, and the rune rules.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

I've never read any of Stolze's fiction and I read very little fiction anyway but I'm addicted to 13th Age so I'm going to back this. And getting more enemy stat blocks makes it even better.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

HomegrownHydra posted:

I've never read any of Stolze's fiction and I read very little fiction anyway but I'm addicted to 13th Age so I'm going to back this. And getting more enemy stat blocks makes it even better.

You should read his fiction. His Novels for Vampire The Requiem (for example) are genuinely good novels in their own right, and leagues above most tie in fiction.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Hello, all

I have not been completely idle since designing the Stalwart:

The Nemesis - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FIpk-bh6TRlnY3NAx15mCXUpmD-ovC9nrAjTRnpMLHg/edit?usp=sharing

This is a WIP, so feedback is appreciated, as is discretion re: sharing.

I hope to have a few other classes up for review shortly.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So far I'm a big fan of the Nemesis, it's a pretty solid option for a Jedi Exile type character. Out of curiosity, what's the reason for Blurred Nemesis taking up two slots? That's a hefty cost.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

-Fish- posted:

So far I'm a big fan of the Nemesis, it's a pretty solid option for a Jedi Exile type character. Out of curiosity, what's the reason for Blurred Nemesis taking up two slots? That's a hefty cost.

Two talents for being able to pump dex instead of str seems reasonable. I may drop it to one talent for the attack roll and adventurer feat for damage.

Love the Jedi thing, cause it's not at all what I had in mind!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was looking at how our Rogue is playing and thinking, Rogue is very much a reactionary class, right? They don't really get to take the initiative much, as they always want to be hitting enemies who are already engaged and have a way out if they can't kill them immediately because otherwise they're sorta depending on the GM to have the thing keep whacking the Fighter instead of turning to squish the Rogue.

I was then watching an LP of Vagrant Story, and I think I have an idea for a variant physical striker class. The concept of Risk in that game, where as you use special attacks you before more vulnerable, yourself, seems like the kind of mechanic that'd work married to a 13A striker type class. Is there anything I should be aware of as common pitfalls in class design while I work on this?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The most common pitfall is to make your new class able to do more damage than other classes because of the "downside". It's fairly trivial to work around a negative mechanic, and then you just have a class that does sick tons of damage.

Even if you can't work around your risk mechanic to neutralize it, players will tend to think you can. And then you wind up with very rocket-taggy mechanics--which is good if you feel combat is too slow, I guess.

Now if you just wind up with a class that can switch between high risk mode (rogue damage and defenses) and low risk mode (lower and higher, respectively) then that'd be pretty cool, but in general you don't want a homebrew to have numbers higher than anything else in the game. That breeds resentment at the table when the players see Mitch sitting there shredding things with ease with his goofy cheat class, or worse yet, seeing him doing all the damage and getting all the kills and constantly needing healing and support, leaving other members of the party to act as nursemaids to a coolkid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, that was basically the idea; switch between being Rogue-like and a bit more fightery. The problem I run into with that concept is, assuming I can make the idea work, it feels like it steps on Fighter and Rogue's toes. Eh, I'll need to get down more than a very basic concept before I ponder any further anyway.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mystic Mongol posted:

The most common pitfall is to make your new class able to do more damage than other classes because of the "downside". It's fairly trivial to work around a negative mechanic, and then you just have a class that does sick tons of damage.

Even if you can't work around your risk mechanic to neutralize it, players will tend to think you can. And then you wind up with very rocket-taggy mechanics--which is good if you feel combat is too slow, I guess.

Now if you just wind up with a class that can switch between high risk mode (rogue damage and defenses) and low risk mode (lower and higher, respectively) then that'd be pretty cool, but in general you don't want a homebrew to have numbers higher than anything else in the game. That breeds resentment at the table when the players see Mitch sitting there shredding things with ease with his goofy cheat class, or worse yet, seeing him doing all the damage and getting all the kills and constantly needing healing and support, leaving other members of the party to act as nursemaids to a coolkid.

This is an incredibly apt discussion of homebrew pencil-and-paper materials. Everyone even remotely considering homebrewing should read this.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

-Fish- posted:

Ryven and myself are playtesting a couple classes we just finished up.
Juggernaut - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-yuDt9x_PPhQDRgDvD-yK9d5fdVesQ1XbwiJtAYqptI/edit?usp=sharing

This is the one I've looked at the most, so heres just some ideas (some of these I already hit you up on):
  • The 14 resist might be too strong. 70% chance of half damage on everything is kinda bonkers, especially when it takes all of one fury to get it.
  • Consider changing Dirty Fighting Techniques language from once per round "minor action" to an "interrupt action".
  • Consider a sliding scale of bonuses that grow stronger, rather than larger bonuses at each stage.
    So for example,
    Fury 1 = Resist 10, +D4 Elemental
    Fury 2 = Resist 12, +D6 Elemental, D10 Weapon dice
    Fury 3 = Resist 14, +D6 Elemental, D12 Weapon dice
  • Find a way to work in the Escalation die. Either to gate off bigger attacks, or something. I don't know, but for some reason in my head I just picture a berserker / pro wrestler where as time drags on (E Dice) they get more options.
  • This dude is begging for you guys to steal the Exploding dice from the Thaumaturge and drop it in here somewhere

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There was a reoccuring joke in a campaign I ran where every time an ancient icon was mentioned it was some sort of sort of lord. So instead of the Orc Lord there was the Kobold Lord, the Goblin Lord, and so on and so forth. So while technically the Orc Lord was the first icon of his type, there have been just hundreds of one off lord icons in the past for different races.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Earthorn posted:

Hello, all

I have not been completely idle since designing the Stalwart:

The Nemesis - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FIpk-bh6TRlnY3NAx15mCXUpmD-ovC9nrAjTRnpMLHg/edit?usp=sharing

This is a WIP, so feedback is appreciated, as is discretion re: sharing.

I hope to have a few other classes up for review shortly.

Well the biggest problems I see are that there are not enough Talents and Feats to get everything I want.

But on a more serious level it looks like only the Multiclass 0th level has a level multiplier for HP. It is easy to figure out by looking at another class but I thought I would point it out.

Two talents to get to use DEX for Attack and Damage seems pretty harsh. The Stalwart had a talent for STR in place of DEX. Actually looking at it it looks like the Nemesis uses STR for ranged attack already, so a talent like Iron Limbs would pretty much just be adding STR to ranged damage and STR to AC instead of DEX to AC.

Now DEX tends to be more useful for a number of things, but STR seems more likely to be used by the class for some of their likely background rolls, and for some of their features having a high STR rather than DEX seems to make more sense. Particularly Juggernaut, which will probably call for a number of STR checks as they go about bursting through doors or what not, and Supernatural Strength, while not requiring rolls, just makes more sense with a character that has a high STR rather than DEX.

Personally I would prefer something like Iron Limbs from Stalwart to the Blurred Nemesis from the Nemesis. Though the latter has some interesting daily options with higher tier feats.

Gaining more Escalation Powers through feats is okay, though they also gain them from leveling. But I would almost rather see feats that allow them to have more than one Escalation Power active at the same time, then again that might be too powerful.

I really like that if you have the right stat distribution, and take the right talents and feats, you can build a blackhole of a character. At least against certain enemy types. Elemental Aura, possibly, to deal damage equal to your level to enemies engaged with you at the start of their turn, a feat makes it so they take the damage again if they attack you with an odd roll. Nemesis's Grasp to give a penalty to disengage, that gets better with a feat and a good WIS, more feats to give penalties to attack those other than you, a greater disengage penalty and greater damage if they manage to actually disengage with you, as well as a capstone feat to follow someone that disengaged from you even if they teleport. If facing aberrations, constructs, demons, devils or undead can add in To There You Shall Return to add more damage at the start of their turn while engaged to you, more attack penalties if their HP is low, and with feats can up the damage and make it so attacking you applies the damage again.

Could possibly throw in Spelleater to mess up things that try to teleport away, or cast a fly spell or something to escape. Or add Void Aura to give some enemy types a penalty to hit you.

Speaking of odd rolls. A number of talents, or other features, mention odd or even rolls. Either made by the player or by the enemy. Are these the natural rolls? Or rolls after modifiers?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Well the biggest problems I see are that there are not enough Talents and Feats to get everything I want.

But on a more serious level it looks like only the Multiclass 0th level has a level multiplier for HP. It is easy to figure out by looking at another class but I thought I would point it out.

Two talents to get to use DEX for Attack and Damage seems pretty harsh. The Stalwart had a talent for STR in place of DEX. Actually looking at it it looks like the Nemesis uses STR for ranged attack already, so a talent like Iron Limbs would pretty much just be adding STR to ranged damage and STR to AC instead of DEX to AC.

Now DEX tends to be more useful for a number of things, but STR seems more likely to be used by the class for some of their likely background rolls, and for some of their features having a high STR rather than DEX seems to make more sense. Particularly Juggernaut, which will probably call for a number of STR checks as they go about bursting through doors or what not, and Supernatural Strength, while not requiring rolls, just makes more sense with a character that has a high STR rather than DEX.

Personally I would prefer something like Iron Limbs from Stalwart to the Blurred Nemesis from the Nemesis. Though the latter has some interesting daily options with higher tier feats.

Gaining more Escalation Powers through feats is okay, though they also gain them from leveling. But I would almost rather see feats that allow them to have more than one Escalation Power active at the same time, then again that might be too powerful.

I really like that if you have the right stat distribution, and take the right talents and feats, you can build a blackhole of a character. At least against certain enemy types. Elemental Aura, possibly, to deal damage equal to your level to enemies engaged with you at the start of their turn, a feat makes it so they take the damage again if they attack you with an odd roll. Nemesis's Grasp to give a penalty to disengage, that gets better with a feat and a good WIS, more feats to give penalties to attack those other than you, a greater disengage penalty and greater damage if they manage to actually disengage with you, as well as a capstone feat to follow someone that disengaged from you even if they teleport. If facing aberrations, constructs, demons, devils or undead can add in To There You Shall Return to add more damage at the start of their turn while engaged to you, more attack penalties if their HP is low, and with feats can up the damage and make it so attacking you applies the damage again.

Could possibly throw in Spelleater to mess up things that try to teleport away, or cast a fly spell or something to escape. Or add Void Aura to give some enemy types a penalty to hit you.

Speaking of odd rolls. A number of talents, or other features, mention odd or even rolls. Either made by the player or by the enemy. Are these the natural rolls? Or rolls after modifiers?

Thanks for all the feedback!

First, sorry for the typos with hp progression and ranged damage.

I may yet scale back Blurred Nemesis to one talent. Still debating...

And finally: using more than one escalation power at once?
I am pretty sure you already can? I guess I need to be clearer about that, thank you. Hopefully this doesn't make the class overpowered (obviously, I think not, but input is welcome).

I am glad you are seeing the possibilities for a "black hole" type of character. That was definitely a possibility I was trying to bake into the class, among others.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm I may have been going off the Escalation Powers fade at the end of a round when the new round begins thing, and not cumulative, to be about only one active at a time. I thought I had seen something else about it too. But I may have misread/misunderstood. If multiple could be active at the same time that would be nice, it would also help with the feeling that AC might be a bit low for a non Blurred Nemesis build. Having multiple Escalation Powers up at the same time does mean I am going to want more of them. If only one could be active at a time then I wouldn't feel the need to have much more than one or two, possibly Augmented, ones.

EDIT: Looking over Spelleater, is it supposed to be an aberration, demon, devil, giant, humanoid or undead, with a higher pd than md? Or is it supposed to be one that has a higher md than pd?

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 29, 2015

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I’ve been thinking about taking my own crack at writing a character class. I had an idea for a pyromancer character, but when I needed to fit it into the game’s mechanics none of the existing options really did it for me. I started thinking about what I was interested in mechanically, and started putting together this concept.

The Elementalist’s main gimmick is its “power pool”, a set of d6s that it builds and manipulates. You start a fight with no power and have only an at-will ability that does slightly sub-standard damage. When you use this power, you roll a d6 and put it in the pool (or maybe choose between one d6 set at the value you choose or two random d6s). Having a single d6 lets you access the next tier of powers (which I think of as the ‘bolt’ power). Spending a single d6 from the pool lets you cast a bolt of the appropriate element (1 or 2 = Cold, 3 or 4 = Lightning, 5 or 6 = Fire). Bolts would be at better-than-average at-will levels of power. If you save up and get two or more d6s with the same number, you get Blasts. The basic Blast would cost two dice, spending more of the same value would increase its power, having more than one set would let you get off more than one Blast. I figure Blasts would start off at Encounter power levels of damage, going higher as you add dice. If you have three d6s in a run (and you can wrap around going 5-6-1), you get the Storm powers at Daily levels of damage ramping up to murderpocalypse if you go all the way from 1 to 6. You choose one die from the Storm’s run to set its element. There would be some mechanic to carry some or all of your accumulated power through a short rest if a you were saving up and a fight ended unexpectedly. Misses with attacks that require spending dice would let you reroll some or all of them and put them back in the pool or choose a portion to keep. There’d need to be some way to carry power through short rests so you don’t spend all fight building towards something only for a series of lucky crits to end it before your next turn.

The main bulk of the Talents would be specialties, two per element, that give bonuses to casting your spell using a specific number. They’d be offensive/defense-utility pairs, like Lord of Hellfire would make spells constructed with 6s better at murdering and Hearthfire would give not-directly-harmful benefits to you and your allies if you build a spell with 5s. There’d be a Mastery talent to let you manipulate pool dice into your chosen element. There’d be an Elemental Buddy talent that gives you a familiar most of the time that can transform into a combat ally 1/day. Maybe two more element-agnostic talents (one to let you mix it up in melee, maybe a freeform elemental bullshit talent?) so that it can have the 3-4-5 talent progression and you can either go broad or not be forced to spend talents on other elements if you want to go full pyromancer/cryomage/stormlord.

I’m figuring they'd get damage increases at 3-5-7-9 and even levels would add a way to get better spells slightly quicker, because that lets me do slightly weirder damage expressions than just level*dX with only the variable being the die size. Maybe a ‘power reserve’ that refreshes daily that you can pull specific dice out of, so you can empty it to drop a Storm in round one or pull a 3 out of it to finish your inside straight. I picture it as Charisma primary, maybe a talent to swap to Wisdom? Probably Arcane in terms of implements.

That’s what I’ve got so far, does that sound like a fun character?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

PublicOpinion posted:

I’ve been thinking about taking my own crack at writing a character class. I had an idea for a pyromancer character, but when I needed to fit it into the game’s mechanics none of the existing options really did it for me. I started thinking about what I was interested in mechanically, and started putting together this concept.

The Elementalist’s main gimmick is its “power pool”, a set of d6s that it builds and manipulates. You start a fight with no power and have only an at-will ability that does slightly sub-standard damage. When you use this power, you roll a d6 and put it in the pool (or maybe choose between one d6 set at the value you choose or two random d6s). Having a single d6 lets you access the next tier of powers (which I think of as the ‘bolt’ power). Spending a single d6 from the pool lets you cast a bolt of the appropriate element (1 or 2 = Cold, 3 or 4 = Lightning, 5 or 6 = Fire). Bolts would be at better-than-average at-will levels of power. If you save up and get two or more d6s with the same number, you get Blasts. The basic Blast would cost two dice, spending more of the same value would increase its power, having more than one set would let you get off more than one Blast. I figure Blasts would start off at Encounter power levels of damage, going higher as you add dice. If you have three d6s in a run (and you can wrap around going 5-6-1), you get the Storm powers at Daily levels of damage ramping up to murderpocalypse if you go all the way from 1 to 6. You choose one die from the Storm’s run to set its element. There would be some mechanic to carry some or all of your accumulated power through a short rest if a you were saving up and a fight ended unexpectedly. Misses with attacks that require spending dice would let you reroll some or all of them and put them back in the pool or choose a portion to keep. There’d need to be some way to carry power through short rests so you don’t spend all fight building towards something only for a series of lucky crits to end it before your next turn.

The main bulk of the Talents would be specialties, two per element, that give bonuses to casting your spell using a specific number. They’d be offensive/defense-utility pairs, like Lord of Hellfire would make spells constructed with 6s better at murdering and Hearthfire would give not-directly-harmful benefits to you and your allies if you build a spell with 5s. There’d be a Mastery talent to let you manipulate pool dice into your chosen element. There’d be an Elemental Buddy talent that gives you a familiar most of the time that can transform into a combat ally 1/day. Maybe two more element-agnostic talents (one to let you mix it up in melee, maybe a freeform elemental bullshit talent?) so that it can have the 3-4-5 talent progression and you can either go broad or not be forced to spend talents on other elements if you want to go full pyromancer/cryomage/stormlord.

I’m figuring they'd get damage increases at 3-5-7-9 and even levels would add a way to get better spells slightly quicker, because that lets me do slightly weirder damage expressions than just level*dX with only the variable being the die size. Maybe a ‘power reserve’ that refreshes daily that you can pull specific dice out of, so you can empty it to drop a Storm in round one or pull a 3 out of it to finish your inside straight. I picture it as Charisma primary, maybe a talent to swap to Wisdom? Probably Arcane in terms of implements.

That’s what I’ve got so far, does that sound like a fun character?

First off, as creator of the other 13A Elementalist, feel free to use that name. My Elementalist was a, uh, valiant first attempt at class design.

I like the bolt/blast/bolt idea by spending your pool of points, and the talents sound like they would round the class out well (especially like the freeform and elemental buddy ideas). Not so sure about the randomizing of the element choice, though (that may just be a taste thing, as the chaos mage is something I would never play).

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

To help me figure out appropriate damage I started totaling out the average spell damages for the core classes here. Haven't gotten to the Wizard yet, but there's enough that I can sort of see how much damage a caster should do and how often. What really became clear was the Breath of the White is strangely bad. Like it might be worth taking if there was absolutely nothing else you wanted to use the spell slot on and you invested in the talents that give you better things with breath weapons, but comparing it to the other breath weapons or Lightning Fork/Three Dooms it's just incredibly underwhelming. Oddly enough it does about the same per-target damage as Song of Thunder, except Song of Thunder is way easier to get to happen more than once in a fight and Song of Thunder starts off hitting 1d4+1 people and can go up to 2d4 targets. The only thing B of the W has over S of T is that if you get really unlucky with your attack rolls but really lucky with your breath weapon recharge rolls you could get the half damage misses multiple times where S of T only gets that on the finale. And also cold damage if you were in the very small set of circumstances where that mattered. As a really simple patch to make it less junk I'd make it target a fixed 2 people at levels 1 and 3, 3 at 5 and 7, and 4 at 9 to contrast with Lightning Fork's "hit between 1 and infinity people".

Dec 26, 2012

Breath of the White is garbage, yeah.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

May have been mentioned before, but is there a rough guide for how many true magic items to hand out per-level. I know combats are really easy to build, so its probably fairly easy to account for either way, but is 1 item per character a level too many or too few? In a party of 5, would 3 per level be acceptable, or does that sound miserly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The game isn't really balanced around magic items being needed, and true magic items are intended to be somewhat rare and marvelous. However, honest advice is hand them out as often as feels right for your campaign! I like a campaign where magic items are very rare, so in my campaigns the characters always end up with only three or four. They tend to be kind of marvelous though, ones catered to their character and play style along with cool mundane items. A few years ago I ran a campaign where each character got a few Shouts from Skyrim, each got Fus Ro Da and one catered to their play style.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 29, 2015