Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Perry's second attempt to get the indictment thrown out has failed and now there's a hashtag.

Stand what? Trial? No thanks Rick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What is the chance he gets put in prison. I read 103 years if convicted

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

zeal posted:

In those glasses he looks like he could be Tina Fey's mom.

Perry, Gleason and Chaough

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Rich? check
White? check

0%

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

-100%. His lifespan will actually increase, and he'll be running for President in the 2100s.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

quote:

On gay parents (from The Big Picture):

Recently a homosexual couple brought a child in to be examined on one of our neurosurgical clinical days. During lunch, after the couple had left, one of my fellow staff members commented favorably on the couple's obvious love and commitment to the child. He said to me, "I know you don't approve of homosexual relationships and wouldn't consider their home a healthy atmosphere in which to raise a child. But I was impressed by that couple. I think their sexual orientation is their business. Think what you want, but it's just your opinion."

My response wasn't nearly that politically correct. "Excuse me, but I beg to differ," I said. "How I feel and what I think isn't just my opinion. God in his Word says very clearly that he considers homosexual acts to be an 'abomination.'"

Then Marine Todd punched them in the face and everyone stood up and clapped and hooted and hollered.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Stanos posted:

Then Marine Todd punched them in the face and everyone stood up and clapped and hooted and hollered.

Except it's not stdh because the gay couple were pleasant and charming and his colleague seemed sensible and straight forward. It's literally "I went out of my way to hate someone I didn't know", so yeah... Probably happened.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Jesus dickriding christ what a moron. How the hell did this guy get through his undergrad biology courses, let alone med school, without even the slightest understanding of evolution? And the second part isn't about political correctness so much as it's about Dr Carson being an upper echelon cock.

I work at a university, and when my professor friends are talking specifically about med students, it's not in a good way. The majority of the med students don't give a crap about the biology and just want to get it over with and get to medical school ("where they don't need to know biology"). They generally think they're too good for the courses, that they'll never need to know the material, and that anything short of the anatomy classes are a waste of time. A lot of these students somehow end up getting very low grades in the more rigorous courses and have to retake the course(s), and a lot wash out, but a lot don't. It really doesn't surprise me that there are doctors out there without a real understanding of biology - they either figured out how to give the teacher the answers they wanted without really learning the material, or they just went through undergrad picking the lovely professors that taught easy classes.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vlex posted:

You are doing God's work.

https://twitter.com/Palin_eBooks

:tipshat:

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I was just sputtering exasperation when I made that reply; it really rankles me when someone like that shows absolute ignorance about an essential pillar of biological science, whether s/he subscribes to it or not. Now that I've got my bearings back, my cynical, curmudgeonly side assumes that this is just a very poorly executed appeal to the base. Those idiots will lap it up, but he thankfully doesn't have a chance anyway.

Modern American conservativism is powered by two things:

-white grievance

-pissing liberals (real or imagined) off

You have just witnessed the latter in action.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

^^^goddammit I've been slowly killing myself for years following politics and I still get tripped up on that fact. I'm not cynical enough

OneTwentySix posted:

I work at a university, and when my professor friends are talking specifically about med students, it's not in a good way. The majority of the med students don't give a crap about the biology and just want to get it over with and get to medical school ("where they don't need to know biology"). They generally think they're too good for the courses, that they'll never need to know the material, and that anything short of the anatomy classes are a waste of time. A lot of these students somehow end up getting very low grades in the more rigorous courses and have to retake the course(s), and a lot wash out, but a lot don't. It really doesn't surprise me that there are doctors out there without a real understanding of biology - they either figured out how to give the teacher the answers they wanted without really learning the material, or they just went through undergrad picking the lovely professors that taught easy classes.

Good point; there were a couple of pre-med undergrads in my lab a few years ago who were just idiots who wanted something to add to their med school applications. For years they, along with some of the stories I'd heard from other TAs, gave me a bad impression of medical students. On the other hand, I taught a human anatomy course and a good portion of the students were actually interested in actual science. Sounds like a fluke though, attributable to individuals rather than med students as a group.

In short, it's true, med students are assholes, you're right. I'd have made a terrible doctor, research > medical practice, gently caress all y'all. Especially Ben Carson, gently caress that guy in half.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Texas has partisan judicial elections and has elected very Republican judges in the appeals system. He might get convicted but he will absolutely win on appeal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shifty Pony posted:

Texas has partisan judicial elections and has elected very Republican judges in the appeals system. He might get convicted but he will absolutely win on appeal.

The plan is to keep appealing the verdict until President Perry can pardon him.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So remind me what the deal is with the Kochs stanning for Jeb and bashing Romney?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ufarn posted:

So remind me what the deal is with the Kochs stanning for Jeb and bashing Romney?

They've decided he's the big business candidate, I guess. I thought they'd go more libertarian, but the immigration issue (keeping wages low) seems to be a high priority for them. I frankly think the business wing would sit out 2016 or even endorse Clinton if an immigration hard-liner looked to win the nomination.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 28, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

I know it shouldn't surprise me anymore at this point, after all the stupid poo poo he's said, but it still baffles me that a renowned neurosurgeon cannot get his head around the concept of infinity. Yes Ben, infinite amount of time means that eventually, one of those hurricanes blasting through junkyards will assemble an aerodynamic wing.

It reminds me of when Ricky Gervais tried explaining infinity to Karl Pilkington with the example of an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters eventually writing the complete works of Shakespeare. He was stumped, but then again, he isn't a neurosurgeon...

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Well, this is a group of people that also commonly believe in a young earth. So they're liable to say poo poo like, "Evolution couldn't have happened because the earth isn't THAT old. I mean it would have to take like a million years." without realizing the time scales that are being talked about.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

This is great.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

A Republican judge has already repeatedly declined to dismiss the charges against him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

richardfun posted:

I know it shouldn't surprise me anymore at this point, after all the stupid poo poo he's said, but it still baffles me that a renowned neurosurgeon cannot get his head around the concept of infinity. Yes Ben, infinite amount of time means that eventually, one of those hurricanes blasting through junkyards will assemble an aerodynamic wing.

It reminds me of when Ricky Gervais tried explaining infinity to Karl Pilkington with the example of an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters eventually writing the complete works of Shakespeare. He was stumped, but then again, he isn't a neurosurgeon...

Of course in the hurricane airplane metaphor you've also got to somehow stipulate that each time a hurricane comes through more pieces not conductive to building a 747 are blown out while those pieces conductive to a 747 are empowered by the lack of non-747 piece competition. Also we'd expect a few gliders and Cessnas to show up in the junkyard records before the 747 finally appears. We found the Learjet missing link, Ben.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also after the 747 has been completed there are tons of pieces in it that are built weirdly, some pieces that don't even do anything at all, and a few pieces that are upside down or inside out for no reason.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Couldn't Rand Paul just...not run for President in KY? Is it that big of a deal in the Republican Primary? Couldn't he just run in 49 state primaries, cutting his losses in KY? People give up on states all the time. I guess it would be bad press to lose his home state, but if he wants to run that bad, while keeping his Senate seat, it's not the worst idea.

I guess the "He's not interesting in Kentucky's issues, but would rather run all over the country running for President," could hurt his chances in the KY Primary for Senate.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

thrawn527 posted:

Couldn't Rand Paul just...not run for President in KY? Is it that big of a deal in the Republican Primary? Couldn't he just run in 49 state primaries, cutting his losses in KY? People give up on states all the time. I guess it would be bad press to lose his home state, but if he wants to run that bad, while keeping his Senate seat, it's not the worst idea.

I guess the "He's not interesting in Kentucky's issues, but would rather run all over the country running for President," could hurt his chances in the KY Primary for Senate.

The problem with this I think is that it would be seen as hedging, if he was all in he'd run in KY, instead he's trying to save his senate seat etc. etc.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MC Nietzche posted:

The problem with this I think is that it would be seen as hedging, if he was all in he'd run in KY, instead he's trying to save his senate seat etc. etc.

Sure, but that's true all the time. I remember Joe Lieberman running for (and winning) his Senate seat while also running for VP. How was this not seen as, "We're gonna win! (but if not I'm also gonna try to keep my other job. You know, just in case.) But we're totally gonna win! Super confident! (Not really though)" Because he was just running for VP and not the top job?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, but that's true all the time. I remember Joe Lieberman running for (and winning) his Senate seat while also running for VP. How was this not seen as, "We're gonna win! (but if not I'm also gonna try to keep my other job. You know, just in case.) But we're totally gonna win! Super confident! (Not really though)" Because he was just running for VP and not the top job?

Yes, but IIRC that Lieberman thing was generally seen as bad and not a thing to emulate.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MC Nietzche posted:

Yes, but IIRC that Lieberman thing was generally seen as bad and not a thing to emulate.

No one cares about the VP slot either, unless you are monumentally bad like Palin was.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mdemone posted:

Also after the 747 has been completed there are tons of pieces in it that are built weirdly, some pieces that don't even do anything at all, and a few pieces that are upside down or inside out for no reason.

Business class: The appendix of plane biology.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

MC Nietzche posted:

Unlike when Diamond Joe did it eight years later?

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Joementum posted:

Perry's second attempt to get the indictment thrown out has failed and now there's a hashtag.

He looks like Rachel Maddow's bigoted uncle.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Lancelot posted:

This is great.

Thanks. At the rate she's currently going she's got enough material to go for ~112 years. I skimmed through some of the results and there's some real gems in there. Stay tuned!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Necc0 posted:

Thanks. At the rate she's currently going she's got enough material to go for ~112 years. I skimmed through some of the results and there's some real gems in there. Stay tuned!

Why are the tweets all in title-case? Also too otherwise, it's great.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Abjad Soup posted:

Why are the tweets all in title-case? Also too otherwise, it's great.

The transcript provided by C-SPAN was all-caps and I didn't feel like going through her whole speech to fix everything. So it was that or all-caps.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Interesting you should bring that up because she has a tendency to both begin and end sentences with 'it' and when the words are all-caps my algorithm can't distinguish between what's starting a sentence and what's ending one. So occasionally there will be tweets with the sentence 'It.' in the middle. And there's even one tweet that's just that: It.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

MC Nietzche posted:

FTFY

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Palin posted:

Thank You Get A Pistol Packing Harley Riding Mama Grizzly.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Couldn't Rand Paul just...not run for President in KY?

It's an option, but his preferred plan is to have the Kentucky GOP do a caucus instead of a convention. This gets around the ballot law and is within the control of the party. He still couldn't run for both in the general election, but that's a bridge to cross when he (doesn't) get there.

He might also sue the state to argue that their election law interferes with federal administration of elections. There's a solid argument there, but it's a bit funny coming from such a states-rights guy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Necc0 posted:

The transcript provided by C-SPAN was all-caps and I didn't feel like going through her whole speech to fix everything. So it was that or all-caps.
Failing that, put everything in all-caps. Seems appropriate.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Am I the only one who just does not get this? Are you just running Sarah Palin's speech through something that jumbles the words and spits out sentences that are vaguely english? :confused:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Caros posted:

Am I the only one who just does not get this? Are you just running Sarah Palin's speech through something that jumbles the words and spits out sentences that are vaguely english? :confused:

…because that's what Palin herself does, see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Caros posted:

You need to learn yourself some weird Twitter, son: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain

ufarn posted:

Failing that, put everything in all-caps. Seems appropriate.

Yeah I think I'm gonna change it back when I get home. I'm not happy with the title casing

• Locked thread