Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo's back in the money, sort of, so that's good, for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Astro7x posted:

loving Nintendo... always putting some final level at the end of a game to make me throw my controller against a wall.

Any tips for getting to floor 50 on Mummy-Me Maze Forever in Captain Toad? It seems like there is nearly 2,000 coins on floor 50, so there is no real point in trying to clear each floor of coins, right?

Edit: My personal tip has been to avoid using the hammer on the break levels in between. Pluck the coins by hand to get the mushrooms, grab the hammer, go through the warp box and just make a straight line directly to the next warp box while the hammer still works.

Those levels are optional challenges for people who feel like they need more out of the game and are usually hard to even unlock in the first place though. I don't think it's unreasonable that they're super hard.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Interested to see next quarter after Amiibo sales are factored in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ularg posted:

My first major accomplishment in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I cut off his tail and skinned it right in front of him.

Take that you stupid lizard.

Next, cut off his tail with the bow's melee attack.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ularg posted:

My first major accomplishment in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I cut off his tail and skinned it right in front of him.

Take that you stupid lizard.

MH3U is a good game for cool guys. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats running up and golf swing smacking a giant 20 foot lizard in the face with your hammer made out of a giant monster foot and watching him do a flip.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Supercar Gautier posted:

but the search results.. :downswords:

In all seriousness I think Nintendo really made the right call introducing the Wii U much earlier than the other systems. Now when the Xbox One and PS4 library is still pretty wanting a year in you turn to the Wii U with its library of great and unique games its quietly built up over time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PoshAlligator posted:

In all seriousness I think Nintendo really made the right call introducing the Wii U much earlier than the other systems. Now when the Xbox One and PS4 library is still pretty wanting a year in you turn to the Wii U with its library of great and unique games its quietly built up over time.

I mean if you're continuing this line of thinking the Wii U has been outsold by the XBONE despite being out a year earlier anyway. Also they are missing their year end forecast by 50%, which is not good.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Bound High is the best VB game and it wasn't even officially released.

Bound High is a fine game and all, but it doesn't have the universal appeal and timelessness of VB Wario Land.

In all likelihood, Dragon Hopper would have been the best VB game, but... welp.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I mean if you're continuing this line of thinking the Wii U has been outsold by the XBONE despite being out a year earlier anyway. Also they are missing their year end forecast by 50%, which is not good.

Are there actual official sales numbers of the Xbone yet?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are there actual official sales numbers of the Xbone yet?

Microsoft just said that they sold 6.6 million XBOX consoles during the holiday quarter, but did not differentiate between XBOX One and XBOX 360 sales, so that number includes both. No indication of what percentage of that number is XBOX One.

Edit: Also, Nintendo finally gave an updated number of Wii U sales. As of December 31, 2014, total Wii U hardware sales sits at 9.2 million with 1.91 million of those occurring in the holiday quarter.

Edit 2: And the software sales total for Wii U is 52.87 million, giving the Wii U a software attach rate of 5.7.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 28, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fremry posted:

Microsoft just said that they sold 6.6 million XBOX consoles during the holiday quarter, but did not differentiate between XBOX One and XBOX 360 sales, so that number includes both. No indication of what percentage of that number is XBOX One.

Edit: Also, Nintendo finally gave an updated number of Wii U sales. As of December 31, 2014, total Wii U hardware sales sits at 9.2 million with 1.91 million of those occurring in the holiday quarter.

Edit 2: And the software sales total for Wii U is 52.87 million, giving the Wii U a software attach rate of 5.7.

Do these numbers refer to the number of units sold to stores or the number of units purchased by customers?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Siselmo posted:

I haven't beaten it yet, but the main differences that I can remember are the Super Meter instead of Star Punches (it fills as you beat your opponents and once it is full you can do special punches); the fact that there's a block for the head and a different one for the body; and that you can make your opponents dizzy, which leaves them vulnerable (though I forgot exactly how it works).

It's really fun, though! I think you could enjoy it a lot.

Though, like someone mentioned before, I think it's biggest weakness is that the opponents are fun but nowhere near as endearing and memorable as the ones from the NES/Wii.

And there's that one kung fu guy who does loving jump kicks at you in a boxing match, it's like come on there's no way that's not against the rules.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

Do these numbers refer to the number of units sold to stores or the number of units purchased by customers?

Number of units shipped to stores. Not the number of actual sales.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also hear Microsoft does a lot to inflate sales numbers, like counting defective replacements as a sold unit.

Nero Deus
Feb 15, 2006

High Ranking Evil Deity

raditts posted:

And there's that one kung fu guy who does loving jump kicks at you in a boxing match, it's like come on there's no way that's not against the rules.

Masked Muscle spits in your eyes. That old guy from the special circuit uses a cane. That clown is allowed to juggle! Super Punch-Out!! is super boxing. No rules future sports.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also hear Microsoft does a lot to inflate sales numbers, like counting defective replacements as a sold unit.

Honestly, the number of units sold is less important to the health of the company than the net profits they make. The great news this year is that Nintendo posts a $200+ million net profit. Without getting into all the specifics, it was lower than their initial projection, but higher than their revised projection. All said and done though, it was a much better earnings report than last year's $200+ million loss.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is why sales charts are dumb.

Besides, it's not like any amount of hardware sales will give the Xbone any worthwhile exclusives.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Detective No. 27 posted:

That explains the 6.6 million units sold number.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

This isn't really true for the PS4. My digital library has 50 games on it right now. The Wii U is doing good now, but it took 2 years to get to that point, and it still hasn't sold as much as say the Dreamcast which was discontinued after this same amount of time and sold 3 million more units.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

I said come in! posted:

This isn't really true for the PS4. My digital library has 50 games on it right now. The Wii U is doing good now, but it took 2 years to get to that point, and it still hasn't sold as much as say the Dreamcast which was discontinued after this same amount of time and sold 3 million more units.

The Dreamcast followed a series of failures that basically bankrupted Sega and lost them any consumer goodwill that they garnered with the Genesis/MegaDrive. It was DOA and anyone trying to argue otherwise is kidding themselves.

The WiiU will probably sell similarly to the GameCube and make Nintendo more than enough dolla bills to continue making cute games on cute consoles. PS4/WiiU or PC/WiiU will be the console combos to have this gen.

Sales charts are dumb.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Another Xenoblade question: I don't really understand what to do when Shulk predicts an enemy talent attack. I can warn someone, and then they get a free attack, but most of the time they just get hit anyway. Or I can use shield, which I did level up, but it seems to not do anything anyway and they just get hit more often than not. Also the predicted target of the attack seems to change like ten times and I just don't understand what's happening at all.

I did manage to beat a unique enemy that was like three levels higher than my party, so I feel pretty good about that, but it was looking pretty gross for a minute and most of it is because I have no real grasp of how to deal with predicted attacks.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The big takeaway is that Nintendo will basically be forced to explore alternative avenues for sources of revenue like they are with Amiibo since 3DS sales are tapering off and the WiiU won't consistently sell more than it already is. Mario condoms that look like green pipes? Koopa Troopa shell ashtrays? Rosalina in Frozen 2? The possibilities are endless.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

RyokoTK posted:

Another Xenoblade question: I don't really understand what to do when Shulk predicts an enemy talent attack. I can warn someone, and then they get a free attack, but most of the time they just get hit anyway. Or I can use shield, which I did level up, but it seems to not do anything anyway and they just get hit more often than not. Also the predicted target of the attack seems to change like ten times and I just don't understand what's happening at all.

I did manage to beat a unique enemy that was like three levels higher than my party, so I feel pretty good about that, but it was looking pretty gross for a minute and most of it is because I have no real grasp of how to deal with predicted attacks.

Be smart with the warning. Heal up the target or try outright killing the offender. Reyn has a crackerjack skillset that shines in most predictions.

Edit. Awful app is buggy

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah "just kill the offender" is a good strategy except I was talking about a boss enemy. I kind of assumed there was a strategy beyond just tossing heals at Reyn and letting him eat the big attack, but whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junkie Disease posted:

Be smart with the warning. Heal up the target or try outright killing the offender. Reyn has a crackerjack skillset that shines in most predictions.

Edit. Awful app is buggy

Looked like a prediction for a moment there :v:. Seriously though, using Reyn to pull aggro and eat the hit (if you can't set up a Topple) is a good basic response to a prediction.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Louisgod posted:

The big takeaway is that Nintendo will basically be forced to explore alternative avenues for sources of revenue like they are with Amiibo since 3DS sales are tapering off and the WiiU won't consistently sell more than it already is. Mario condoms that look like green pipes? Koopa Troopa shell ashtrays? Rosalina in Frozen 2? The possibilities are endless.

I should help my good friends at Nintendo and buy the Super Mario series Peach Amiibo to go with my Smash Bros series Peach Amiibo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Their real strategy seems to be to cut corners now. Not releasing regular N3DS in America, dropping Club Nintendo in favor of what appears to be a paid club membership service for digital games, and who knows what else they will be doing in the next year. Amiibo has turned into another source of profit for Nintendo but merchandise is nothing new. They have been making toys and clothing for their game characters since the NES. Nintendo is just as crazy about this as Disney is.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate you goons I'm going to get a Wii U. If I want to play the rereleased Wii games do I have to have a Wii controller or can I use the Wii u pad

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Their real strategy seems to be to cut corners now. Not releasing regular N3DS in America, dropping Club Nintendo in favor of what appears to be a paid club membership service for digital games, and who knows what else they will be doing in the next year. Amiibo has turned into another source of profit for Nintendo but merchandise is nothing new. They have been making toys and clothing for their game characters since the NES. Nintendo is just as crazy about this as Disney is.

What's your source on the bolded bit? I was unaware any details had been released about the club Nintendo successor program.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Hell there's even some Amiibos that you just can't get because even the pre-orders sold out.

Which I learned the hard way while trying to get a Shulk one :negative:.

Abu Dave posted:

I hate you goons I'm going to get a Wii U. If I want to play the rereleased Wii games do I have to have a Wii controller or can I use the Wii u pad

If it needs a Wiimote to play, you need a wiimote. If it had Classic Controller support, you can use the gamepad. That's only for the eShop-released ones, though. If you're using a disc in Wii Mode, you can't use the gamepad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Abu Dave posted:

The gamepad will function as a Classic Controller in the digitally released Wii games. Currently though, none of the announced/released games (Mario Galaxy 2, Punch-Out!!!, and Metroid Prime Trilogy) supported the Classic Controller originally, so you'll need Wii Remotes and Nunchucks for those.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You'll need a wii controller unless those games supported the classic controller, which none of the currently looked up games did in America.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lame. Thanks.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

elf help book posted:

I should help my good friends at Nintendo and buy the Super Mario series Peach Amiibo to go with my Smash Bros series Peach Amiibo.

This but for Luigi.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I said come in! posted:

If I were to guess, I bet Nintendo dropped the smaller N3DS due to either sales of the OG 3DS and America's preference for the XL, or marketing surveys on preference. Decisions like that tend to very calculated and Nintendo does a hell of a lot of research beforehand before making that kind of call.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

jivjov posted:

What's your source on the bolded bit? I was unaware any details had been released about the club Nintendo successor program.

His rear end.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Louisgod posted:

If I were to guess, I bet Nintendo dropped the smaller N3DS due to either sales of the OG 3DS and America's preference for the XL, or marketing surveys on preference. Decisions like that tend to very calculated and Nintendo does a hell of a lot of research beforehand before making that kind of call.

This is what I'm betting too. I wouldn't doubt the majority of 3DS systems out there now are XLs and the 3DS thread title even tells people to get the XL.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

If only they did that level of research before naming the Wii U. :v:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I said come in! posted:

The company I work for announced that the company they acquired something like 11 years ago is splitting out again into its own separate company. There was a lot of speculation on what they were going to name the new old company and they hired a consulting firm to help them make that decision, which more than likely cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What name did they go with?

The original name they had before they merged.

Large companies are sometimes really stupid when it comes to stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Don't forget the New 3DS :v:. It confuses customers and internet search queries!

• Locked thread