Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Hdip posted:

How do I keep my 2 year old from drinking bath water?

Take showers?

Alternately, get some soap that tastes bad or you don't mind your kid eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My 19 month old drinks it and it doesn't seem to cause any issues so I just figure he'll grow out of it eventually.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hdip posted:

Put spinach in it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hdip posted:

You pretty much don't. You just end up with a 2 year old taking furtive drinks of it while you get angry and disappointed and explain AGAIN that bath water is yucky and dirty and she shouldn't really do that :sigh:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
That's what I figured. I just ask him not to do it. My wife get's upset by it so I thought I'd ask the thread if any of you knew magic.

Toddler swim class website around here claims one of the things they do is teach the kids not to drink the water. Well my friend claims they taught her baby not to drink the water. When we went swimming with them he drank the water. *shrugs*

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There no stopping it. Just give it a rather shallow bath if you want to minimize it

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Hdip posted:

My wife

Hey, am I getting usernames mixed up, or are you the goon that went through a messy custody thing? If so, are you happily married anew? Congrats! Otherwise, ignore this ;)

My 1,5-year old also drinks bathwater. She knows she's not supposed to, so she does it sneakily, with furtive glances at me, which makes it super obvious and easy to prevent. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't for the baby oil we add for her dry skin, which makes it slightly more worrisome than "just" water with a little baby-friendly soap in it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hdip posted:

Don't bathe them. Thats the only thing that works for us. As a bonus, it doesn't go away anytime soon either. My 3.5 year old sits there with my 1.5 year old in the tub and they're drinking bathwater like frat boys pounding Natty Ice.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hdip posted:

Tape their mouth shut :v:

Real answer, you won't, don't sweat it too much. My kids have drank what probably amounts to gallons of bath water and are alright. We just keep repeating not to drink it and with the younger one try to physically intervene if we catch him in time.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
How do I prevent my little ones skull growing in the shape of her crib bars? During the night she worms her way to the opposite side of the crib and sleeps right against the side. Left a pretty good indentation on her head this morning.

Or is this just gonna happen and my kid is gonna have a weird shaped skull.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Emily A. Stanton posted:

How do I prevent my little ones skull growing in the shape of her crib bars? During the night she worms her way to the opposite side of the crib and sleeps right against the side. Left a pretty good indentation on her head this morning.

Or is this just gonna happen and my kid is gonna have a weird shaped skull.

Crib bumpers are what you're looking for. They also prevent them from sticking their little legs through at weird angles like our daughter does.

One night we put her to bed and heard her saying on the monitor "Mommy. Tired. I'm tired...Mommy. Tired." in a pitiful little way. We let it go on because we thought she was just talking herself to sleep, but when she didn't stop we checked and she had gotten her foot through the bars and couldn't fall asleep. :(

If only she had said "stuck" instead of "tired" like I know she can, we would have helped a lot sooner. Oh toddlers and their ways!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought they stopped making those.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Sockmuppet posted:

Hey, am I getting usernames mixed up,

Yeah not me. Thanks for all the replies to remind me my littledip is not a special unique snowflake :-)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

greatn posted:

I thought they stopped making those.

This is the kind of thing you'd want. it is mesh so if they mash their face into it they can still breathe. Once our kids turned 1 we swapped it out for the pretty bumpers.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/nursery/breathablebaby-breathable-mesh-crib-liner-white-50502-2266849

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Yeah crib bumpers are another thing that is not recommended due to strangulation/asphyxiation risk but I will disclose that I used them starting around 6 months or so, whenever he was able to start moving around and get pissed off when he got his legs/arms stuck in the bars. I was afraid once that C sprained his arm because of how it was bent, but it didn't seem to bother him and the ped wasn't concerned. Bonus: if his pacifier fell out it wouldn't fall through the bars and he could sometimes find it himself! We still have them. They also help block out light from the nightlight that I need so I don't kill myself when I go in to him at night.

Now that he's 19 months I don't even worry, he has the same mesh bumper and he has stuffed animals in his crib and blankets. I sometimes worry that I am not a cautious enough parent, and certainly don't look down on people who follow the guidelines and don't use bumpers, etc. I do have a friend who has a friend whose daughter got stuck in the old-style soft bumpers and would have suffocated if her parents didn't happen to check her in time so I fully understand.

Edit: C had his physical 2 weeks ago, then the next day started with a fever and bad cold. Had his first sick visit at 19 months, doc said it could be flu or just a bad cold. Fever only lasted 1 day, but he's STILL not himself. We were more or less trapped in the house for 2 weeks now we're snowed in (I'm im RI) due to SNOWPOCALYPSE and I just might lose my mind. He's still got a little cough and runny nose, but we've passed the cold around my family like 3 times since he got sick, the little petri dish! Ugh. I wanted to nurse him at least through this winter but he weaned himself at 16 months.

sudont fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 27, 2015

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Hdip posted:

Yeah not me. Thanks for all the replies to remind me my littledip is not a special unique snowflake :-)

You might be thinking of Happitoo?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Who else has a 13 month old that is grumpy from the minute she wakes up to the minute she goes to bed? Doesn't like to be put down, doesn't like other people, cries all day! It's super great!

On the other hand my 4 year old isn't mouthy and all and does nothing but help.

*breathes*

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MarshallX posted:

Who else has a 13 month old that is grumpy from the minute she wakes up to the minute she goes to bed? Doesn't like to be put down, doesn't like other people, cries all day! It's super great!

On the other hand my 4 year old isn't mouthy and all and does nothing but help.

*breathes*

My 18 month old has always been a whiny kid. He was a needy baby, he had ear infection issues, got tubes, then got a bunch of teeth, plus he is a chubber so he gets pissed off if he isn't fed regularly. If I'm still cooking dinner when my wife gets home with the kids at 5 he stands in the kitchen and screams/cries/whines at me. Last night, for a funny change of pace, while I was waiting to pull dinner from the oven, he kept pointing at the oven and saying "this" Its his new word, and he's trying it out, but it was comically annoying. Yes Isaac, I know you want dinner, "this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! this! " for 10 minutes.

Sometimes kids are annoying.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Do you have those little magnetic letters on your fridge? I've found those to be pretty indispensable in keeping Sydney occupied and not trying to touch the oven or emptying the cupboards. Maybe it'd help with your 'THIS' problem. She is a little older though, but not by much.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
OH! Another great story for you guys - my daughter has a heart arrythmia and is on medication for it for the forseeable future. They increased her dosage due to her growing and required an ECG a couple days later to check if everything is honkey dorey - we decided to go to the local hospital instead of the big Childrens Hospital 30 minutes away to get it done.

After 15 minutes they had managed to get ONE sticker on her chest and were asking my wife if they could sedate her to finish it as she was being very fussy and crying.

SEDATE a 1 year old for an ECG (30 second procedure, 12 stickers on chest, push button for 20 seconds, stickers off)

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

MarshallX posted:

OH! Another great story for you guys - my daughter has a heart arrythmia and is on medication for it for the forseeable future. They increased her dosage due to her growing and required an ECG a couple days later to check if everything is honkey dorey - we decided to go to the local hospital instead of the big Childrens Hospital 30 minutes away to get it done.

After 15 minutes they had managed to get ONE sticker on her chest and were asking my wife if they could sedate her to finish it as she was being very fussy and crying.

SEDATE a 1 year old for an ECG (30 second procedure, 12 stickers on chest, push button for 20 seconds, stickers off)

Lucky they would. I got my kid turfed from the ER at my local hospital for the fancy Childrens place 30 minutes down the way, as soon as they saw he had an existing patient relationship with them. Wasn't wild about paying for the ambulance from 15 minute away hospital to 30 minute away hospital. The aquariums are better at Childrens anyway, so unless it is something we shouldn't be going to the hospital at all for, we're probably just going to roll straight to the big guys next time, rather than waste the time and money on twice the paperwork and transfer.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Slo-Tek posted:

Lucky they would. I got my kid turfed from the ER at my local hospital for the fancy Childrens place 30 minutes down the way, as soon as they saw he had an existing patient relationship with them. Wasn't wild about paying for the ambulance from 15 minute away hospital to 30 minute away hospital. The aquariums are better at Childrens anyway, so unless it is something we shouldn't be going to the hospital at all for, we're probably just going to roll straight to the big guys next time, rather than waste the time and money on twice the paperwork and transfer.

I told my wife to leave and we would go to Children's tomorrow. Sedating a 1 year old for a simple test is crazy. Just crazy.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
My roommate worked in a pediatric ER for years, and lots of the doctors & nurses that cycled through there were terrible with children.

His most-hated form of child mismanagement, because it was both condescending and so easy to not do: "Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit!" (gently caress you lady, GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME!) vs "This will hurt just a little bit, like when someone pinches your arm." (Oh, I can handle that.)

Fun fact: If a parent is going to faint, 90% of the time it's Dad.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We had to get an EEG for our 3 yr old, he was not happy. They said to keep him up most of the night so he'd sleep during the procedure, but alas, it just made him cranky. Really cranky. Had to strap those suckers on his little noggin like a mummy and then keep his hands busy so he wouldn't peel them off. Not fun.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

You might be thinking of Happitoo?

Yes, thank you! Well, they both start with an H... :downs:

Re: Whiny toddlers - around 13-14 months our daughter, too, was mad about everything and whined and cried and hurled stuff around at the slightest provocation. I think it was because she was so incredibly frustrated by not being able to communicate with us - because she understood so much of what we were saying, but she couldn't talk back yet!
As soon as she had a breakthrough with her language, her general disposition improved radically, because if something is bothering her now or she wants something, she can tell us! We might not obey her commands, but at least she can get her point across ;) Hopefully that will help for you guys too!

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Bath chat. My son is almost 4 and loves to take showers, he was hanging out in there playing for a minute and I stepped away to grab his towel. When I got back and peeked through the curtain he was raising a cup from his groin area and drank it. It was straight piss. That was a fun conversation and I told him my first white lie that it would turn into vinegar in his stomach and make him very sick.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Time to enroll him in MMA!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I just caught up with this thread, and I'm so glad my baby is a fantastic sleeper. We just put him back in daycare because I am working again, and he's got his first snotty nose and cough, and I guess they wear him out so much he likes to sleep 12 hours at night now (Plus his 1-2 hour naps). It's thrown me off so badly I keep forgetting I have to bathe him before (what used to be) his 6 nap.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Speaking of showers, our kids are deathly afraid of showers, and now the younger twin is having issues with bathing too, they both used to love bathing but now he just screams and cries, I think it happened after he slipped once and got his head underwater. What to do except just keep on bathing him and hoping it'll pass?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Has anyone had any luck with adding probiotics to formula to help with digestion? our 6 week old seems really, really uncomfortable during and after eating (but it's not happening with every meal). we also got some gripe water yesterday to see if that helps but it remains to be seen if it's helping.

We're using Similac Sensitive and she still seems to tense up, writhe, wiggle and move her arms around pretty aggressively when she seems uncomfortable due to eating.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 28, 2015

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Sockmuppet posted:

Yes, thank you! Well, they both start with an H... :downs:

Re: Whiny toddlers - around 13-14 months our daughter, too, was mad about everything and whined and cried and hurled stuff around at the slightest provocation. I think it was because she was so incredibly frustrated by not being able to communicate with us - because she understood so much of what we were saying, but she couldn't talk back yet!
As soon as she had a breakthrough with her language, her general disposition improved radically, because if something is bothering her now or she wants something, she can tell us! We might not obey her commands, but at least she can get her point across ;) Hopefully that will help for you guys too!

This is why baby sign language is worth a few minutes. It isn't an amazing panacea that will get your kids full ride to the Ivys, but it will bridge that gap when they have wants, but can't express them. Just teaching and using five or six signs. "up" "down" "more" "all done" and "Wet" pretty much address all the concerns a preverbal child has, and saves three freakouts an hour. Nothing worse, for a 13 month old than to get more when they want done, or down when they want more, or whatever other crime against humanity you were about to commit. Just add the signs in with the rest of your happy chat, and it'll save you a good portion of 4-6 months of shouting right in your ear.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

This is why baby sign language is worth a few minutes. It isn't an amazing panacea that will get your kids full ride to the Ivys, but it will bridge that gap when they have wants, but can't express them. Just teaching and using five or six signs. "up" "down" "more" "all done" and "Wet" pretty much address all the concerns a preverbal child has, and saves three freakouts an hour. Nothing worse, for a 13 month old than to get more when they want done, or down when they want more, or whatever other crime against humanity you were about to commit. Just add the signs in with the rest of your happy chat, and it'll save you a good portion of 4-6 months of shouting right in your ear.

"Milk" and "eat" were pretty much all he said until 16 mos or so. Now he's added "uppy" to his lexicon of signs. Granted, "uppy" is pretty universal, standing with raised arms, while leaning agq8nst a leg.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

sullat posted:

"Milk" and "eat" were pretty much all he said until 16 mos or so. Now he's added "uppy" to his lexicon of signs. Granted, "uppy" is pretty universal, standing with raised arms, while leaning agq8nst a leg.

Yeah, my kid's into "uppy" too.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
She very quickly figured out this thing where she just grabbed our hands and put them to whatever she wanted doing, and if she wants something to happen, she'll just grab hold and physically pull us over to whatever it is (or my favourite - get me to pick her up, and then grab hold of my hair and point and steer me like a drat horse), and then gesture and shove and basically harass us until it happens. Works great for things like "get the raisins out of that cupboard over there and give them to me" and "get my coat down from that hanger and put your shoes on, we're going out". Again, her commands don't always get obeyed, which leads to much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but it's much less frustrating for us, since we know what the problem is and why it ain't happening. And then we redirect, redirect, redirect!

kells
Mar 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Has anyone had any luck with adding probiotics to formula to help with digestion? our 6 week old seems really, really uncomfortable during and after eating (but it's not happening with every meal). we also got some gripe water yesterday to see if that helps but it remains to be seen if it's helping.

We're using Similac Sensitive and she still seems to tense up, writhe, wiggle and move her arms around pretty aggressively when she seems uncomfortable due to eating.

We used (and still use) probiotics and also gas drops when our daughter was a newborn. I dunno if they helped but they didn't hurt either so whatever.

It's fairly common for new babies to have issues with gas/pooping though.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

BraveUlysses posted:

Ask her pediatrician to evaluate her for reflux. We got some prescription reflux meds for our daughter and it helped a lot. We also used soy formula when not nursing and that seemed to be easier on her stomach.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BraveUlysses posted:

If it's an issue feel free to try different types of formula. Both of my kids did horribly with Similac and Enfamil. My daughter did best on Gerber Good Start - Soy. Not Similac or Enfamil Soy, only Gerber Good Start Soy. My son did best on Gerber Soothe, which has a pro biotic in it.

We seriously tried everything on the market and those did the best for us.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

skipdogg posted:

If it's an issue feel free to try different types of formula. Both of my kids did horribly with Similac and Enfamil. My daughter did best on Gerber Good Start - Soy. Not Similac or Enfamil Soy, only Gerber Good Start Soy. My son did best on Gerber Soothe, which has a pro biotic in it.

We seriously tried everything on the market and those did the best for us.

In Gerber's soy the protein is partially hydrolyzed, so there is a potentially major difference there in tolerability.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

greatn posted:

The funny thing my kid does now is since he sleeps in his crib with the front rail removed, he gets up in the middle of the night and comes bursting through our bedroom door like Matt Foley, shouting Mommy, up! Daddy, up! Arthur, up! Somehow carrying five or six stuffed animals at once, which he throws in our bed.

My son used to do the same thing. He has now stopped the shouting part; if it is still dark he will just throw the stuffed animals on the bed, climb up, jump over my wife, sneak in between us and sleep :toot: .

Granted, we still get pushed and kicked, but it beats the untimely excitement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
My daughter had horrible gas and would cry anytime she had to poo. Eventually we found a decent amount of blood in her stool, and got a prescription for Nutramigen(which is really gross smelly predigested milk). But a few days after starting Nutramigen and she's been a very happy baby since. Nutramigen is kind of expensive though...