Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euclidian88
Aug 3, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

For non-British people:

One of the few cats to lead a political party would seem to imply that there have been others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Cpt.Americant posted:

I just realized.. that means if he was able to post instantly like most of the other cartoonists in this thread, this would have been the thing he posted the day after. The DAY after. This is what he judged would be a valid point to make right away. And yet he's supposed to be writing in the funnies.
But the massacre occurred on 7th January, exactly 3 weeks ago right about now. Didn't everybody notice Tinsley going on and on about that student paper :supaburn: CENSORSHIP :supaburn: last week? THAT was his initial response.

How is everybody in this thread and even Tinsley getting this wrong. OK Tinsley's drunk, but we should know better.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Even later than usual, but makes up for it by being a strong contender for the inevitable "Worst Toon About the Charlie Hebdo Massacre" Gay Abortion category.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
E: Eh, Tinsley's not really worth the speculation

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Wales Grey posted:

muslim depictions of Mohammad

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Duckbag posted:

Can we get a moratorium on sociopathchat in this thread?

You can take the Political Cartoon thread out of lf, but you can't take the lf out of the Political Cartoon thread. :obama:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Thought this was a genuine article, you fucker :argh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

euclidian88 posted:

One of the few cats to lead a political party would seem to imply that there have been others.

I'm pretty sure the world would be a better place if all political parties were led by cats.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WarpedNaba posted:

Thought this was a genuine article, you fucker :argh:
The message is clear and there is only a single label, it is an obvious fabrication.

euclidian88
Aug 3, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure the world would be a better place if all political parties were led by cats.

Well fat cats seem to lead/control quite a few...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

euclidian88 posted:

Well fat cats seem to lead/control quite a few...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

LordSaturn posted:

Political Cartoons 2015: If you want a really bad opinion, wait two weeks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Today's Bennett is a local thing

I don't really know what Insure Tennessee is, but the cartoon communicates it well enough!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also, have a Bors.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Okay, the ear fish is a nice touch, but why is there a loving NES cart submerged in the water?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Presidential Insecurity

The U.S. President's apparent insecurity is an embarrassment to America. The attempt to portray a congressional invitation to Israel's Prime Minister as a political ploy while the U.S. tries to stop the potential development of Iranian Nukes is disgusting.
Due to popular demand, we've re-opened our indiegogo site. We reached (and went beyond) our fund-raising goal but so many people have asked if they can still contribute and receive our "perks" (Dry Bones Haggadahs, dvd's, etc.) that we've been forced to comply. To check it out go to http://igg.me/at/drybones
Labels: Bibi, Congress, Israel, Netanyahu, Obama, Sanctions, Shuldig

Rocket Attack from Syria

according to the AP:
"At least two rockets launched from Syria struck the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights on Tuesday and Israel responded with artillery fire, the Israeli military said. The fire comes after an airstrike last week in Syria attributed to Israel that killed six members of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah and an Iranian general. Israel has braced for a response to that strike, beefing up its air defenses and increasing surveillance along its northern frontier. Israeli military spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner said the fire "appeared to be intentional." He declined to comment on whether the fire may have been connected to the strike last week. A message on Lerner's Twitter account said Israel "responded with artillery towards the positions that launched the attack."-more
Due to popular demand, we've re-opened our indiegogo site. We reached (and went beyond) our fund-raising goal but so many people have asked if they can still contribute and receive our "perks" (Dry Bones Haggadahs, dvd's, etc.) that we've been forced to comply. To check it out go to http://igg.me/at/drybones
Labels: golan, Iran, Islam, missile attack, Missiles, Muslims, Rockets, Syria

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Remember Russia? It’s still doomed.
The Washington Post
Matt O'Brien
January 27, 2015

quote:

President Obama might have a future as a credit rating analyst. During his State of the Union, you might remember, he took a victory lap of sorts when he declared that, as the price of its aggression, Russia's economy was "in tatters." Well, S&P agrees: the rating agency just downgraded Russia to junk.

quote:

Now, normally I wouldn't pay any attention to what a credit rating agency says about a government. That's just, like, their opinion, man, and often a poor one at that. But this time is, well, different, because if Russia is rated junk, then its companies will be too—which will increase the borrowing costs on their existing debt. It could also trigger earlier bond repayments, which, together with the higher interest rates, could, according to one official, cost them as much as $20 to $30 billion.

quote:

And that's $20 to $30 billion it really can't afford. Russia, as I've said before, doesn't have an economy so much as an oil-exporting business that subsidizes everything else. But it can't subsidize much when prices are only $50-a-barrel. That leaves Russia in a world of bad, worse, and Dostoevskian choices. Cheaper oil, you see, means that Russian companies have fewer dollars to turn into rubles, which is just another way of saying that there's less demand for rubles—so its price is falling. But it can't fall too much or Russian companies, who have a lot of dollar debts they can't roll over due to Western sanctions, won't be able to pay back what they owe. Even worse, Russia banks could face a run on their foreign currency holdings, as people try to turn rubles they think will lose value into dollars that won't.

quote:

Russia can't wake up from this economic nightmare, though, because they're not asleep. This is their reality. After falling in almost perfect tandem with oil for most of the year, the ruble started free falling in December. In under a week, it went from 55 to 75 rubles per dollar—a 36 percent decline—and the panic got so bad that the bank run turned into an Apple and Ikea run. People decided that if they couldn't ditch their rubles for dollars, then they'd settle for the latest smartphones and assemble-it-yourself furniture instead.

quote:

Faced with this catastrophic loss of confidence in their currency, Russia did the only thing it could do: everything. First, it jacked up interest rates from 10.5 to 17 percent to try to get people to hold their money in rubles that would pay them a lot of interest rather than dollars that wouldn't. Then it started spending its $400 billion-ish war chest of reserves to prop up the ruble directly. And when that wasn't enough, it, well, "convinced" exporters to sell their dollars for rubles and made oligarchs bring their overseas money home to pay taxes. In Putin's Russia, this counted as kinder, gentler capital controls. After all, as one official explained, "there were no threats of sending anyone to Siberia."

quote:

The result, as you can see below, was a short-lived ruble rally that has since dissipated. The problem, as Lars Christensen of Danske Bank told me, is that the ruble "should" be worth 75 per dollar as long as oil is around $50-a-barrel. What makes that even trickier, though, is that a currency doesn't fall to its fair value, but rather to the point at which it's expected to move up to its fair value. Markets overshoot, in other words, because nobody wants to buy rubles right before they hit bottom. That means, absent Russian intervention, the ruble would probably be trading around 80 or 85 per dollar, and maybe even lower.

quote:

So the Russian government can keep spending its dollars and forcing its companies to do so too, but whatever boost the ruble gets will fade away as long as its fundamentals are weak. Low oil prices, you see, are like gravity pulling the ruble down. It just the S&P downgrade to remind everyone of that, as the ruble fell another 7.5 percent on Monday.

quote:

It's an economic catch-22 called "Not Enough Dollars." Russia, you see, hasn't had to just bail out the ruble. It's also had to bail out its banks, including, it looks like, another one on Monday, that have been hit hard by the ruble's decline and declining earnings. And, after it made its companies sell their dollars, it's had to bail them out with new dollars too, so they can pay back their dollar debts, a financial shell game meant to hide how much of its reserves the government is really spending. Finally, though, the government might have to bail itself out. Its budget could go from surplus to deficit now that oil revenues have halved, and it can't borrow what it needs because sanctions have cut it off from international credit markets. It's no wonder, then, that Russia's reserves are already down to $379 billion from $414 billion a few weeks ago. That's a pretty high burn rate.

quote:

And it's only going to get worse. Russia's economy, its central bank says, will shrink 4.5 to 4.7 percent this year as long as oil stays at $60-a-barrel. It's under $50-a-barrel now. And its sky-high interest rates will only add to that by keeping people from borrowing. So will its oil-induced austerity, as the government announced it will cut all non-defense spending by 10 percent. But the biggest negative for them, aside from still-cheap oil, is that the EU is getting ready to introduce new sanctions after Russian-backed rebels attacked again in Ukraine. That'll put even more pressure on Russia's companies to pay back what they owe, which isn't easy when the collapsing ruble is making foreign currency debts more expensive and the collapsing economy is making the rest more expensive too by crushing earnings.

quote:

Russia, in other words, is doomed as long as oil is cheap and sanctions are in place. It could survive either alone. But together, they destroy Russia's economy and its ability to borrow to cover that up. And unlike, say, 2008, when oil prices rebounded rather quickly, this crisis could last awhile. After all, if you think Putin is going to back down in Ukraine anytime soon, well, think again: he's already pushed pro-peace oligarchs who've lost a lot of money the past year to his outer circle, if that.

quote:

The government, for its part, is trying to put a brave face on this bleak economic picture. One Kremlin official went so far as to say that the Russian people are prepared to "eat less" to support Putin. Maybe that's why Putin doesn't allow real elections—because that's not much of a slogan.

quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/01/27/remember-russia-its-still-doomed/?tid=sm_fb

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cat Mattress posted:

Want an overly verbose and exceedingly racist essay in favour of this argument? H.P. Lovecraft has you covered!

quote:

Between dogs and cats my degree of choice is so great that it would never occur to me to compare the two. I have no active dislike for dogs, any more than I have for monkeys, human beings, negroes, cows, sheep, or pterodactyls; but for the cat I have entertained a particular respect and affection ever since the earliest days of my infancy. In its flawless grace and superior self-sufficiency I have seen a symbol of the perfect beauty and bland impersonality of the universe itself, objectively considered; and in its air of silent mystery there resides for me all the wonder and fascination of the unknown. The dog appeals to cheap and facile emotions; the cat to the deepest founts of imagination and cosmic perception in the human mind.

etc.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Too long, didn't read the article but man it looks like Russia is really whipping us!

Awesome compilation, good job.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

So what's the point these shitheels are trying to make, anyway? Is it literally "Obama won't declare all-out war with Russia and instead imposes sanctions?! He just made us miss another great war AND he made me Google the word sanctions? THANKS OBAMA!"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So what's the point these shitheels are trying to make, anyway? Is it literally "Obama won't declare all-out war with Russia and instead imposes sanctions?! He just made us miss another great war AND he made me Google the word sanctions? THANKS OBAMA!"

The point is to criticize Obama from any angle possible for anything he does.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Want an overly verbose and exceedingly racist essay in favour of this argument? H.P. Lovecraft has you covered!

Just as a reminder, Lovecraft had a black cat that he named "friend of the family-Man".

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

These are people who only see power in terms of military might. They laugh at the sanctions being impotent measures.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks for the reminder that our right-wing cartoonists are such loving hacks that they were literally making Russian propaganda for a while just to make jabs at Obama. Borderline cheerleadinging for a foreign almost-dictator just because he's at odds with a black Democratic president.

I could've sworn there were a few particularly bad Ramirezes during that time though. At leaat one that tried to use "paper tiger" imagery. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

edit:

PassTheRemote posted:

These are people who only see power in terms of military might. They laugh at the sanctions being impotent measures.

I'm sure a lot of them still think that Bush invading and occupying two countries was stroke of brilliance.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 28, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, the "Putin-sama is so strong :swoon:" cartoons became outdated and obviously wrong almost as quickly as the "people who don't think ebola will cause the apocalypse are SO STUPID :rolleyes:" cartoons did

e: And it's not even a "military strength is the only strength" thing, really. They're calling Obama a weakling on ISIS too and his proxy is quite simply and obviously beating the poo poo out of them militarily. It's just a "Democrat = weakling no matter what he actually does" narrative, same as it's been for decades.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I appreciated this post. Also hell, I remember when the rubl' was 30 to the USD, about 10 years ago, this is insane.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Still, I don't think sanctions on their own would have done that much. It's mostly the price of oil that is loving them up. Which if the analysis I've read is accurate, actually started when the US started producing oil again from fracking and such, causing the petrostates to panic and dump oil into the market. So, uh, good indirect job America.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Presidential Insecurity

The U.S. President's apparent insecurity is an embarrassment to America. The attempt to portray a congressional invitation to Israel's Prime Minister as a political ploy while the U.S. tries to stop the potential development of Iranian Nukes is disgusting.
Labels: Bibi, Congress, Israel, Netanyahu, Obama, Sanctions, Shuldig

Even Fox News saw right through Bibi's grandstanding. You can't actually believe what you're writing.

Look at that chessboard. Allie you dense motherfucker.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

Still, I don't think sanctions on their own would have done that much. It's mostly the price of oil that is loving them up. Which if the analysis I've read is accurate, actually started when the US started producing oil again from fracking and such, causing the petrostates to panic and dump oil into the market. So, uh, good indirect job America.

I've read at least one analysis that says the US and the Saudis (good allies, don't forget) may be conspiring to drop the price of oil to hurt Russia. It hurts the US too because fracking is so expensive, but it hurts Russia way, way more.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I've read at least one analysis that says the US and the Saudis (good allies, don't forget) may be conspiring to drop the price of oil to hurt Russia. It hurts the US too because fracking is so expensive, but it hurts Russia way, way more.

Well it does hurt a lot of known US enemies. Iran, Venezuela, etc. Seems sort of far fetched/conspirational to me tho'. Wouldn't it hurt Saudi Arabia too? Albeit if they are like any other petrostate, it'll be just the rich sheiks living off their savings while the people writhe in poverty (aka, business as usual).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

Well it does hurt a lot of known US enemies. Iran, Venezuela, etc. Seems sort of far fetched/conspirational to me tho'. Wouldn't it hurt Saudi Arabia too? Albeit if they are like any other petrostate, it'll be just the rich sheiks living off their savings while the people writhe in poverty (aka, business as usual).

Saudi oil is some of the cheapest oil to extract in the entire world. They stay profitable pretty much no matter what, which is why so much of the global price of oil depends on just how much of it they decide to pump up at any given moment.

Even if it does hurt them, they're so rich that it's like the predatory pricing of a big box store moving into town, dropping its prices to put all the independent stores out of business (and operating at a loss temporarily because they can afford it) and then jacking prices again once all the competitors are gone.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Contrast: Obama removes sanctions from Cuba, Communism wins.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Vyelkin, here's one you missed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Saudi oil is some of the cheapest oil to extract in the entire world. They stay profitable pretty much no matter what, which is why so much of the global price of oil depends on just how much of it they decide to pump up at any given moment.

Even if it does hurt them, they're so rich that it's like the predatory pricing of a big box store moving into town, dropping its prices to put all the independent stores out of business (and operating at a loss temporarily because they can afford it) and then jacking prices again once all the competitors are gone.

Gonna be interesting in 50-100 years when all the world's oil dries up to see what happens to the middle east.

Just kidding I already know all the rich guys will just leave and the region will basically turn into sub-Saharan Africa now that the west has no reason to give a gently caress.

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Jedit posted:

You could blank that extra box and make a pretty good caption contest.

"'Scuze me, ma'am - I didn't sign up to defend no right. My girlfriend got knocked up and gettin' hitched didn't sound so much fun as shootin' Mooslims".

Good idea. Here's a template.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

When he himself is made of drones.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

loquacius posted:

Today's Bennett is a local thing

I don't really know what Insure Tennessee is, but the cartoon communicates it well enough!

I think this might be becoming a thing. Indiana is rolling out the Healthy Indiana Plan, which sounds like something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Basically people love Obamacare as long as it's called something else.

• Locked thread