Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Hey Matt, something you said in the last SH2 video reminded me of the Sub-Scenario that was added in after the Xbox release, and I was wondering if you guys were planning to run through it after the main game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

So what you're saying is that the Neogaf Best Friends thread is basically SA's Giant Bomb thread?

This is a good way of thinking about it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Kins posted:

Graphical improvements are a failure of the game designer.

I like to think of it as historical preservation. Learn from the mistakes of the past, children.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I love how the last video the main theme was subtlety while Pat kept checking the photo and letter every chance he could sneak it in.
Speaking of themes though, I think the one line that really embodies the whole "everyone sees things differently in SH" concept is the one from Silent Hill 3 that goes "They look like monsters to you?". It's such a good way to mess with the player even if it was intended to be a joke.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HGH posted:

I love how the last video the main theme was subtlety while Pat kept checking the photo and letter every chance he could sneak it in.
Speaking of themes though, I think the one line that really embodies the whole "everyone sees things differently in SH" concept is the one from Silent Hill 3 that goes "They look like monsters to you?". It's such a good way to mess with the player even if it was intended to be a joke.

It might be a joke, it might also be the MOST IMPORTANT LINE IN ALL SILENT HILL. It also might be just Vincent being a huge weirdo. But no, I think team Silent meant for it to carry a lot of implications, and I'm on board for the "the monsters are real, but everyone sees them differently in their mind" interpretation.

Pat is a super secret master troll with that photo and letter poo poo, what a boss. In fairness, he only really does it when there's a point to be made, so it might just be him trying to de-spoiler himself and make whatever ending they get as organic as possible.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
In Pat's defense, unless you knew ahead of time what the ending prerequisites were, I think the game mostly shunts you into the "In Water" or "Leave" endings. Basic exploration seems to push you toward "In Water", so I see checking the letter and photo as a way of balancing the scales for later in the game.

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 25, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

hoobajoo posted:

It might be a joke, it might also be the MOST IMPORTANT LINE IN ALL SILENT HILL. It also might be just Vincent being a huge weirdo. But no, I think team Silent meant for it to carry a lot of implications, and I'm on board for the "the monsters are real, but everyone sees them differently in their mind" interpretation.

Pat is a super secret master troll with that photo and letter poo poo, what a boss. In fairness, he only really does it when there's a point to be made, so it might just be him trying to de-spoiler himself and make whatever ending they get as organic as possible.

Nah, he's totally gunning for the Leave ending, which is triggered by looking at the photo and letter a lot, and chugging health drinks.

As an aside, I will never get tired of "Woolie's house is a loving wreck" jokes. I don't ever want to see Woolie's house, because I want to believe it's the most god-awful, unspeakable wreck that they make out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

As an aside, I will never get tired of "Woolie's house is a loving wreck" jokes. I don't ever want to see Woolie's house, because I want to believe it's the most god-awful, unspeakable wreck that they make out.

I think it showed up in a bunch of Mailbag videos, if curiosity ever gets the better of you. At least I think the latter ones were shot there.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I've considered Making Fun Of Pat's Daily Life a highlight in the podcasts. Whether it be the way he brushes his teeth, how Woolie and Liam made fun of his mouse on a stool for like 15 minutes, and in the latest one, how he sleeps in his bed like a paper in an envelope.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Nah, he's totally gunning for the Leave ending, which is triggered by looking at the photo and letter a lot, and chugging health drinks.

I hope he mentions how over the course of the game the letter slowly gets shorter until it eventually just turns into an envelope with a blank paper inside it, and then a blank envelope without even James' name on it, and then disappears from the inventory entirely because that's probably my favorite thing about the entire game.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Loving the Parasite Eve LP too! I had a good laugh at, "STOP TALKING TO THE PRESS ABOUT YOUR MITOCHONDRIA"

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Now that they mention it, it IS pretty goddamn amazing that there's only three-and-a-half years in between Parasite Eve and Silent Hill 2.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wiseblood posted:

"I took an ethics class in first year" then?

well i meant that was someone's entire motivation in mgs3

But I guess it doesn't stand out much compared to anything involving the word "soldier". The best/worst thing about mgs villain philosophy is the shunt from "what is the meaning of a soldier during peacetime" to "LET'S FIGHT FOREVER PROBLEM SOLVED *MOO*" with nothing in-between.

Anyway! Enjoying the LPs. SH2 kind of suffers from being Too Good, it was so good that everyone and their grandma needs to give their horror protagonist a ~dark secret~. I mean that's not a bad thing in some cases but I kind of miss the days of "some chucklefuck wanders into Helltown"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yinlock posted:

Anyway! Enjoying the LPs. SH2 kind of suffers from being Too Good, it was so good that everyone and their grandma needs to give their horror protagonist a ~dark secret~. I mean that's not a bad thing in some cases but I kind of miss the days of "some chucklefuck wanders into Helltown"

Well, technically even back in the days of Silent Hill 1 that wasn't the case. Harry's daughter coming back to the town was part of a big dumb prophecy to resurrect their god that Harry ended up preventing via the power of a sickass rifle and ten bajillion pistol bullets. Although the way they slowly turned the game from being about "chucklefuck wanders into Helltown" to "chucklefuck has to stop ancient evil" was kinda cool, even though the initial premise was sort of lost along the way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Games had "guy that actually has really bad past" since like the SNES days. The only thing Silent Hill 2 invited was probably more symbol poo poo, but sketchy protagonists have been around forever.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Yinlock posted:

Like SH: Origins?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hoobajoo posted:

Like SH: Origins?

I thought Origins was great, because aside from loving with the town's geometry and bringing the total number of hospitals in Silent Hill up to a pretty confusing four it was a pretty self-contained way to start up the series. They did retcon a bit to make it possible but I have fond memories of running around chucking TVs at sentient roadkill and backwards walking kung fu marionettes. The puzzles weren't crazy retarded obtuse either (which some might see as a bad thing).

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

drat I forgot how awesome the Tsubaki Mk. 3 was. Remember doing that Gold Town assassinate as many guys in the time limit mission over and over to afford the drat thing but it was worth it. The Mk. 2 was my favorite though if I remember where it was basically 4 beams all together and he swung it like a loving club.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Dias posted:

I think it showed up in a bunch of Mailbag videos, if curiosity ever gets the better of you. At least I think the latter ones were shot there.

I think it's also his place in the FNF opening. His apartment, from what we've seen, seems incredibly cramped. It looks like he's got a big-rear end TV, a sofa, his bed, an arcade machine, and a ton of plastic containers all in the same room, and the walls are covered in posters and anime figures. poo poo's nuts, especially compared to Matt's palatial estate.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

I think it's also his place in the FNF opening. His apartment, from what we've seen, seems incredibly cramped. It looks like he's got a big-rear end TV, a sofa, his bed, an arcade machine, and a ton of plastic containers all in the same room, and the walls are covered in posters and anime figures. poo poo's nuts, especially compared to Matt's palatial estate.

It used to be much bigger, but between the mailbag hauls and the slow, inexorable expansion of the Woolie hole, more has been lost than remains. For reals though, I don't think Woolie hasn't moved since he was a tester, so of course he doesn't have a sweet David Cage apartment.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There was a Woolie Hole here. It's gone now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The reaction at the end of the most recent Mario RPG episode to their failure was priceless. :allears:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

The reaction at the end of the most recent Mario RPG episode to their failure was priceless. :allears:

part of The SMRPG Experience is missing that loving seesaw roughly 800 times

well, the experience for people who suck(me)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yinlock posted:

part of The SMRPG Experience is missing that loving seesaw roughly 800 times

well, the experience for people who suck(me)

I think my experience with that was exactly the same as the guys. "Hey, here's the platform for that thing, I just gotta jump here and oh

oh welp I'm dumb"

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
http://superbestfriendsplay.com/podcast/sbfc-077-sleepy-magcast-cranky-takahatas-eruption/
New podcast is up.
Preview Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B41zQSZXvaQ

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also here's an new animation of Bible School a la Zaibatsu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-lE7i8lzMI

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I finally had a chance to sit down get started on the Silent Hill LP and I'm loving it so far. And :laffo: at the Lying Figures doing cannonballs over that fence.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just went to Matt's twitter to check something and I find out he's accepted the KING OF SWAG STYLE in his life. I'm so proud.

Speaking about wrestling, THE BAZ will make his debut for VGCW next Tuesday at 4PM Central on Star Road 2. If you like wrestling and videogames - and you're here, so I'll assume you do - you should check it out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have no idea why but went and glanced at the Nintendo E3 video again from last year and I still can't get over Woolie making that kind of strange zombie crying noise when X came up and he thought it was Metroid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dias posted:

I just went to Matt's twitter to check something and I find out he's accepted the KING OF SWAG STYLE in his life. I'm so proud.

It does help that Shinsuke Nakamura is just a JoJo's character come to life.

Ishii is his stand.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't find a JoJo thread, so: I watched the first episode of the anime and I'm reading the first part of the manga and they have absolutely nothing to do with each other so far. Where does the anime begin relative to the manga?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't find a JoJo thread, so: I watched the first episode of the anime and I'm reading the first part of the manga and they have absolutely nothing to do with each other so far. Where does the anime begin relative to the manga?

Are you sure you actually started on the first episode of the anime or the first part of the manga? The Jojo anime is currently on Stardust Crusaders (part 3) but they did the earlier parts as well.

Edit: There are threads for both the anime and the manga in ADTRW.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 28, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It said episode 1, unless they meant episode 1 of that part? :confused:

edit: assume I know absolutely nothing about JoJo or how it is structured.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It looks like there are different anime adaptations. The TV series starts at the beginning of the manga and then there's an OVA that jumps right in at the third part of the manga. But that's just going off Wikipedia.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It said episode 1, unless they meant episode 1 of that part? :confused:

edit: assume I know absolutely nothing about JoJo or how it is structured.

The beginning of the manga is called Phantom Blood. The current anime is on its third season. The first season (from 2011, I think?) covers Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, the first two parts. Season two was last year and covered the first half of the third part, Stardust Crusaders. Season three just started this month and covers the last half of Stardust Crusaders. There was an OVA in the 90s that was a very condensed version of Stardust Crusaders.

The JoJo general thread is here and the spoiler-free anime thread is here. They'll help you out.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
How many MAGfests until we get the inevitable Jontron/Best Friends crossover?

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I started the podcast again from the first episode.. When Liam is arguing a point and his voice gets high-pitched and you can tell he's blushing, it's the most cringeworthy thing ever. I never noticed it before, but holy poo poo I didn't realize I like Liam as little as I do. He's also really bad at trying to be funny in videos :/

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

How many MAGfests until we get the inevitable Jontron/Best Friends crossover?

Infinite, I hope. A thousand Magests and more.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

goldblums eyes posted:

I started the podcast again from the first episode.. When Liam is arguing a point and his voice gets high-pitched and you can tell he's blushing, it's the most cringeworthy thing ever. I never noticed it before, but holy poo poo I didn't realize I like Liam as little as I do. He's also really bad at trying to be funny in videos :/

Have you ever noticed how the other guys seem to secretly hate Patrick!!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Liam and think he's funny. :shobon: