Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Blockhouse posted:

Did my first World of Darkness tonight

our alliance's tank decided tanking Cerberus adds was too mainstream and it took four wipes for everyone to figure out World of Darkness' meteors

it was a hilarious clusterfuck

Don't forget the dude getting major assmad about the two or three people continuing to attack Cloud of Darkness during mini-cloud phases because we utterly demolished her stoneskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Had a weird bug happen yesterday. Was walking around Central Thanalan levelling up my GLD when I noticed that my title no longer said Gentleman, but Gentlewoman. :crossarms:

I switched to a different title and back to Gentleman again and it was fixed.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Had a weird bug happen yesterday. Was walking around Central Thanalan levelling up my GLD when I noticed that my title no longer said Gentleman, but Gentlewoman. :crossarms:
This has been going around and it does correct itself eventually, but it doesn't make it less odd.

I changed into a Gentlewoman during WoD, but left a Gentleman.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
It's been that way with Domitor/Domitrix titles for a while. Some things make gender specific titles just abruptly swap, zoning or going into an instance might be it

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I've taken to eating meteors in CoD because gently caress if other people do it consistently and I can Sacred Soil/Adlo myself to make it mostly painless. Until the whole raid takes damage anyway.

It's an easy fight until people assume that there is nothing to worry about after the hexagons and everyone dies.

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?

Tortolia posted:

I've taken to eating meteors in CoD because gently caress if other people do it consistently and I can Sacred Soil/Adlo myself to make it mostly painless.

its easiest for the healers and ranged dps to get them anyways :psyboom:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

during the past week i've somehow managed to batter my way through the walls of menus and clutter on FF14 and found the game behind there, and, it's not to bad. Figured i'd see if i could make it through the main story. I'm almost level 20 now, so i'll have to upgrade from the free trial.
how does this work on the ps4? do i have to buy the priced game from the store? can't seem to find anywhere to "upgrade" on the version i have downloaded.
do I have to download more poo poo again?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone know what these 2.5 hotfixes in the maintenance tonight are all about?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Verranicus posted:

Nope, they never post the hotfix notes before the patch is actually released. Hopefully a fix for the mount roulette bug (Where you can't use it if your Chocobo is stabled).

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Attitude Indicator posted:

during the past week i've somehow managed to batter my way through the walls of menus and clutter on FF14 and found the game behind there, and, it's not to bad. Figured i'd see if i could make it through the main story. I'm almost level 20 now, so i'll have to upgrade from the free trial.
how does this work on the ps4? do i have to buy the priced game from the store? can't seem to find anywhere to "upgrade" on the version i have downloaded.
do I have to download more poo poo again?

The walls of who and what now?

Yes, if you want to continue playing, you need to purchase the game.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Verranicus posted:

There's a bug where ninja poisons clear when you enter an instance, so hopefully that.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Maybe they'll give hunt marks a bit of an HP buff, because it's exacerbating how...effecient...certain groups have gotten

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rei_ posted:

Maybe they'll give hunt marks a bit of an HP buff, because it's exacerbating how...effecient...certain groups have gotten

Hunts will solve themselves once they add another way to get carbontwine or SE adds one of the half of a dozen ways to tweak them. I feel like hunts have not gotten their usual Dev time because they are seen as a way to keep some of the most demanding players busy in ways they wouldn't otherwise be. Much like relic weapon quests.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RuanGacho posted:

Hunts will solve themselves once they add another way to get carbontwine or SE adds one of the half of a dozen ways to tweak them. I feel like hunts have not gotten their usual Dev time because they are seen as a way to keep some of the most demanding players busy in ways they wouldn't otherwise be. Much like relic weapon quests.

I thought Hunts were meant for literally the complete opposite demographic: the more casual crowd.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Captain Oblivious posted:

I thought Hunts were meant for literally the complete opposite demographic: the more casual crowd.

Meant, and who it's actually for are two totally different things. I've been raiding FCOB every week pretty much since 2.4 and I still will need to hunt because you just don't get enough carbontwine to kit out 8 people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Yukari posted:

Meant, and who it's actually for are two totally different things. I've been raiding FCOB every week pretty much since 2.4 and I still will need to hunt because you just don't get enough carbontwine to kit out 8 people.

Sure. I'm just saying I would have expected the devs to still conceive of it primarily as a thing for the less hardcore crowd.

There's no question who it's for in practice.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

That was probably the original intention. I get the feeling that they wanted to have people randomly stumble across big monsters, shout for a few people to help, and to be like a spontaneous boss fight. As it stands, between spreadsheets and timetables and plugins, unless you're deliberately setting out to run hunts and responding instantly to calls, there's no chance you'll even see a hunt target.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Tepplen posted:

Alright so after some recent raiding and dungeoning, I've kinda had to take a step back and re-evaluate my tanking methods. A lot of people I have seen throughout the internet and in game have mentioned how easy it is to grab and hold aggro with a ton of mobs, and at first I thought it was just because I was semi-behind on gear. But now that I am sitting at i106 on both WAR and PLD, and still having issues with the initial grabbing and holding of aggro, I think the problem is honestly just me. Once I do have hold on a boss or mobs for more than 5-7 seconds I tend to keep their attention till they are dead, but man, those initial grabs just feel incredibly sloppy on my part, and I don't even know what it is specifically I am doing wrong.

For those of you more tank savvy, how do you grab and hold those mobs attention?

If you're talking about trash pulls, the best thing to do for WAR is remember that you have Infuriate: pop it pre-pull, Tomahawk whatever you want dead first, Steel Cyclone. Overpower until your guts fall out (because your healer sucks) or until you hit 500 TP, in which case tab around to see how you're doing on threat. To be even better, make sure you have 5 Wrath before all the mobs are dead so you can run to the next group(s) uninterrupted, because sometimes even large pulls take less than a minute. Boss pulls: Infuriate, Berserk, Tomahawk, Steel Cyclone. Depending on how good your DDs are, the Berserk might be unnecessary, but if you have NINs/DRGs I recommend it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So I tried out FFXIV a long time ago and was pretty unenthused, and decided I just wanted to play WoW. Well I played WoW, ended up not liking it, and so I came back to FFXIV and now I really like it for some reason. I'm level 11, a human GLD, and am wondering when I can start doing dungeons and raids and stuff. I really liked heroics in WoW and always love playing the tank in groups-- is this going to be a big aspect of gameplay? I don't really care for, like, hardcore serious mt dew raiding.

And also, how long does it take to get 50 so I can start playing barbie like a man? And why are my items dyed stupid colors like purple and green?

e: also I need to join a goon guild but they wouldnt let me make a character on Excalibur. What are my options?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So I tried out FFXIV a long time ago and was pretty unenthused, and decided I just wanted to play WoW. Well I played WoW, ended up not liking it, and so I came back to FFXIV and now I really like it for some reason. I'm level 11, a human GLD, and am wondering when I can start doing dungeons and raids and stuff. I really liked heroics in WoW and always love playing the tank in groups-- is this going to be a big aspect of gameplay? I don't really care for, like, hardcore serious mt dew raiding.

And also, how long does it take to get 50 so I can start playing barbie like a man? And why are my items dyed stupid colors like purple and green?

e: also I need to join a goon guild but they wouldnt let me make a character on Excalibur. What are my options?

First dungeon is at 15. More will open up regularly after that. If you're playing a tank, at 16 when the Low Level Dungeon Roulette opens up you'll be able to run dungeons constantly to your heart's content.

Hitting 50 if you're grinding dungeons and the main storyline should take maybe two weeks? I don't really know because I dick around so much with crafting, other classes, etc.

God hates us, which is why our items are dyed retarded colors. There are dye vendors in all the main cities who sell dye removers if you care enough, or actual dyes so you can color your stuff as desired.

Barbie is played through the Glamour system which allows you to give the appearance of one item to another, separate from the dye system.

Dunno about goon guilds outside Excalibur. You may consider a World Transfer, which I find is easier to accomplish than character creation but costs 18 bucks.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

At level 10, you get access to guildhests, short little instances that teach you basic mechanics of the game and your first access to multiplayer content. At 15 you get your first dungeon and get a new one every 3 levels or so all the way up to 50. At 50 you get access to like 20 new dungeons, 3 24-man casual raids, and 3 8-man more hardcore raids.

As a tank it shouldn't take you that long to hit 50. Do your low level dungeon roulette every day and keep up with you main story quests (the ones with the fancy icon). Your gear is randomly dyed when you buy it from a vendor because looking as clownshoes as possible is the most important part of mmo leveling :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For the dyeing thing, you also have to unlock the ability to gently caress with the dye on your gear. This comes from a quest at level 15 in Western Thanalan, called "Color Your World". Since you started in Ul'dah you shouldn't have much trouble stumbling across this. If you'd started elsewhere, your trip to the other two cities (which would also be around level 15) would be a good opportunity to detour to grab this quest.

The quest will ask you to turn in an Orange Juice; you can pick this up from a food vendor in town for like 5 gil, and grabbing it pre-emptively will save you from a bit of backtracking.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cool, thanks y'all. The Low Level Dungeon Roulette is, what, a daily quest?

And where do I find these guildhests or whatever. I mean, I'm good at video games and am literate so I generally know how to tank-- is it a way to level up?

Also, can't I have subjob skills? I assume I should grab some, like cure or something.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
I might have impulse purchased another Fantasia.

dear God, he's adorable

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

bonds0097 posted:

Dunno about goon guilds outside Excalibur. You may consider a World Transfer, which I find is easier to accomplish than character creation but costs 18 bucks.

Honestly, level 11 is early enough in the game that you can try to get on to Excalibur and start over. Try a different battle class while you're at it, you'll be able to go back to being a tank at level 10 if you want.

That's only if you really want to get onto Excalibur though!

AzureRequiem posted:

I might have impulse purchased another Fantasia.

dear God, he's adorable

Congratulations on choosing the best race.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Cool, thanks y'all. The Low Level Dungeon Roulette is, what, a daily quest?

And where do I find these guildhests or whatever. I mean, I'm good at video games and am literate so I generally know how to tank-- is it a way to level up?

Also, can't I have subjob skills? I assume I should grab some, like cure or something.

Low level roulette is like an infinitely repeatable daily quest which only gives its real reward (giant pile of experience) once per day. The role-in-need bonus is available every time, but generally you're better off running low level roulette once per day, and then directly queueing for the highest level dungeon you have unlocked. NB that you unlock a new dungeon every 3-4 levels and like 2/3 of them are unlocked by progressing the main story quests. So be sure you don't fall behind on them.

Guildhests are unlocked when guildleves are unlocked, which comes from a quest around level 10. It's either a main story quest or a really obvious side quests that pops up as you're doing the main story, I forget which. Guildhests also offer a bit of experience (both for first-time completion of a given guildhest per class, as well as for a guildhest roulette which has a similar - but much smaller - pile of experience once per day). But they're mostly for introducing players to gameplay mechanics. Consequently, most people will blithely ignore the mechanics the guildhest is trying to teach, which in some cases (like the first few which teach about killing adds as they pop and pulling groups one at a time) is fine and in other cases (like the one for killing things at the same time or putting the turtle to sleep instead of killing it) will gently caress you over. As a general rule they're a nice idea for teaching in principle, which in practice can be frustrating to play through because of other people being idiots.

You do get cross-class skills - for example, having taken your gladiator to level 10, you can fob off its Flash ability onto anything else. So for example if you want Cure, you should get your conjurer high enough to know Cure (which is, like, level 2 or something). While gladiator can pull cross-class skills from pretty much everything, it'll eventually become a paladin which can only pull cross-class skills from marauder and conjurer, so you may want to focus your efforts on those two. The highest level marauder cross-class skill is at 26, and the highest conjurer is 34.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Basically ...

Main Sequence Quests
Daily Low Level Duty Roulette for bonus XP
Daily Guildhest Duty Roulette for bonus XP
All new Guildhests for first timer bonus
All new dungeons for first timer bonus
Highest level dungeons available for grinding

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

armoredgorilla posted:

Basically ...

Main Sequence Quests
Daily Low Level Duty Roulette for bonus XP
Daily Guildhest Duty Roulette for bonus XP
All new Guildhests for first timer bonus
All new dungeons for first timer bonus
Highest level dungeons available for grinding

Don't forget Challenge Log entries. The moment you hit 15 drop what you're doing and go to Limsa and to the quests to unlock the Challenge Log.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

RuanGacho posted:

Hunts aren't even that great for getting Carbontwine now, you need 500 Allied seals to buy 1 Unstained Mark Log, and you need 6 of those to buy 1 Carbontwine. That's 3500 allied seals for 1 Carbontwine. So, unless you hunt for like 4 hours a day, it's going to take until March to actually be able to buy one.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Official Forum Safari:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/216577-Turn-9-Meteors

Beloved Excalibur player Night Ride rants about T9 and Meteors. He is sorta notorious for his PF groups. Of course, that's not the full reason I linked the thread. The other reason is someone calling people casuals for using VOIP programs to get through T9.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 28, 2015

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Who's the rear end in a top hat rejecting singlemom from dgkk?? I need jerks to que with me while I tank low level junk

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't forget Challenge Log entries. The moment you hit 15 drop what you're doing and go to Limsa and to the quests to unlock the Challenge Log.
I'm pretty sure there's a quest for that in every city.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Ouhei posted:

Hunts aren't even that great for getting Carbontwine now, you need 500 Allied seals to buy 1 Unstained Mark Log, and you need 6 of those to buy 1 Carbontwine. That's 3500 allied seals for 1 Carbontwine. So, unless you hunt for like 4 hours a day, it's going to take until March to actually be able to buy one.

Yes, but they're currently the only way to get an unlimited number of Carbontwines. I'm not sure how many drop from FCOB, but they're still subject to lockouts. If you want to unweather your left side right now, you're stuck doing hunts.

Edit:

Zereth posted:

No, that would make sense. It's just in Limsa.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

f1av0r posted:

Who's the rear end in a top hat rejecting singlemom from dgkk?? I need jerks to que with me while I tank low level junk

I wouldn't know, but you're applying following the instructions, right

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Chairman posted:

I wouldn't know, but you're applying following the instructions, right

How dare you suggest goons might not follow directions. :colbert:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ouhei posted:

I'm not sure if I've just been super lucky or if they buffed the log drop rate because I've gotten 3 logs out of like 5 S ranks in the past few days. I went into 2.5 with 1k seals and had a twine within a week by ignoring all non-S rank hunts. :shrug:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

It's only in Limsa.

I also found out recently that it doesn't appear until you hit the main story chain where you are visiting all the cities so if you aren't being sent all over via airship as a foreign dignitary don't try to go out of your way to pick it up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bonewitch posted:

Parry is bad don't use it

Det owns, Crit is good, SS is good if you can hit the beserk breakpoint, Acc is good if you need it

What is the berserk breakpoint, anyway? I need an exact number if possible.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
depends on your latency but anywhere from like 376 to 390 something works fine, just test it out and see what works

390+ makes it real easy and consistent

you might have to shunt berserk to the 2nd half of your gcd to fit it in properly though

big sperma shot fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess skill speed is pretty good for warriors anyway since it means more inner beast uptime. Theoretically.

• Locked thread