Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Jeza posted:

Why/who would pay for an SA ad for this thread??

Some questions have no answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

How can I clean this?

There seems to be some sort of residue on the inside (you can't see it in the picture) and I have no idea how to get in there to wipe it. I've put dishwashing liquid and hot water in there and swirled it around, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Iso alcohol and kosher salt (has to be large grain salt). Put some in, swirl it around, let it sit for 20 minutes, swirl and shake the alcohol and salt around, rinse. Should get it pretty clean.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

Iso alcohol and kosher salt (has to be large grain salt). Put some in, swirl it around, let it sit for 20 minutes, swirl and shake the alcohol and salt around, rinse. Should get it pretty clean.

I don't think it's a bong.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is there a thread in a/t or the book barn or somewhere else where I could ask about selling a very old book?

On the off chance that someone with expertise is reading this, a friend is trying to sell a Francis Bacon book published in 1689. 3rd edition, in latin, still waiting on the title.

My uneducated guess is that it's worth a lot (frickin FRANCIS BACON), but only to the right collectors, so she would have to settle for crappy price if she wanted to sell it right away. We're obviously a little out of our depth here though.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 28, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Xandu posted:

From a code standpoint, I have this (though the fireplace is gas if it makes a difference) and was told that it's not a problem as long as I don't have any wires running behind the fire place.

AlbieQuirky posted:

lifeiskillingme, in terms of puncturing the flue liner with the anchors, is there a brick chimneypiece, or is the chimney behind wallboard/Sheetrock? If it's the latter, and if she has a metal liner, you can probably suss out where it is with a stud finder and avoid it.

Also, if your gf doesn't know what kind of a liner she has, her chimney sweep will.

No chimney sweep (brand-new house as of 4 months ago), but she had an AT&T tech tell her mounting a TV up there couldn't be done but I feel like it's worth asking someone else for a second opinion. She has the builder wrapped around her finger because there were many things wrong with the house when she moved in and she's called him so many times he's finally said "gently caress it" and is coming to personally fix some things, and if anyone would know, it'd be him I guess. His subs didn't even hacksaw slits in the gas pipe running under the wood rack in the fireplace. But that's neither here nor there.

I think she probably does have a metal liner.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Tiggum posted:

How can I clean this?

There seems to be some sort of residue on the inside (you can't see it in the picture) and I have no idea how to get in there to wipe it. I've put dishwashing liquid and hot water in there and swirled it around, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

What everyone else said, but also sand + water + vigorous swirling and shaking is a decent way to clean bottles as well.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think it's a bong.

Right, it's not, it's a wine decanter. But it's generally a good, easy option for difficult to clean glass stuff.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there a thread in a/t or the book barn or somewhere else where I could ask about selling a very old book?

On the off chance that someone with expertise is reading this, a friend is trying to sell a Francis Bacon book published in 1689. 3rd edition, in latin, still waiting on the title.

My uneducated guess is that it's worth a lot (frickin FRANCIS BACON), but only to the right collectors, so she would have to settle for crappy price if she wanted to sell it right away. We're obviously a little out of our depth here though.

Here's a thread but with the bookbarn's readership you're probably more in luck asking here.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
You can also check http://www.abebooks.com to see if anyone's selling anything like it and what their price is.

E: I just did a search on books by Bacon published between 1680-1700, and the results are selling for $150-$975.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 28, 2015

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Here's a thread but with the bookbarn's readership you're probably more in luck asking here.

Heh, good point. Selling first editions of stuff like Dan Abnett and Robert Jordan could probably become a lucrative business if marketed correctly. I'll give it a shot once I get the book's title though.

Rabbit Hill posted:

You can also check http://www.abebooks.com to see if anyone's selling anything like it and what their price is.

E: I just did a search on books by Bacon published between 1680-1700, and the results are selling for $150-$975.

Thanks! Looks like my friend will be disappointed, she was hoping for a four figure sum.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fruits of the sea posted:

Start here for a good overview on selling rare books.

Without seeing the thing at all, my guess is that it's worth $500, max. People who aren't collectors rarely maintain old books well enough for them to be worth top dollar.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What are all these symbols (or what is the overall design) on this pendant?

My best guesses are Venus/Female, Libra, May birthday (the emerald), and... uh, the reduced Planck's constant? That seems too out of place. The lines/stars could be a constellation (The Summer Triangle perhaps)? The numbers I have no idea.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DNova posted:

My best guesses are Venus/Female, Libra, May birthday (the emerald), and... uh, the reduced Planck's constant? That seems too out of place. The lines/stars could be a constellation (The Summer Triangle perhaps)? The numbers I have no idea.

P sure it's an ancient Egyptian tiltimayz

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

The h looking thing is the astrological symbol for Saturn, and by extension the alchemical symbol for lead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Illuminati is going to be SO pissed that you posted the Amulet of Reckoning.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I recently watched thelma and louise and at a few points people are just spraying water onto roads, why are they doing this?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Crankit posted:

I recently watched thelma and louise and at a few points people are just spraying water onto roads, why are they doing this?
I haven't seen the movie but are we talking paved or unpaved roads? Dirt and gravel roads are routinely sprayed with different chemical mixtures to keep the dust down and maintain the road surface. In the past they were usually sprayed with some kind of petroleum byproduct.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I haven't seen the movie but are we talking paved or unpaved roads? Dirt and gravel roads are routinely sprayed with different chemical mixtures to keep the dust down and maintain the road surface. In the past they were usually sprayed with some kind of petroleum byproduct.

It's blacktop roads, as I think the people of america say.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Crankit posted:

It's blacktop roads, as I think the people of america say.

It's a diluted asphalt emulsion, not pure water, probably a fog sealing treatment in that environment - the roads lose compaction and start breaking up due to limited traffic, so you spray and asphalt/water mix on them to fill in little cracks and renew the surface, and make sure that when the occasional truck does go past you don't lose all of your aggregate. Have a read: http://www.tpub.com/eqopbas/242.htm

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 29, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Over in the PYF Shark Tank thread, an episode was posted about a couple selling a stuffed elephant as a way to communicate with partner that "we have to talk". (It's hilariously bad if you like that sort of thing.) One of the examples the wife gives is "if he leaves the toilet seat up, this gives me a way to tell him 'I'm upset about something, and we have to talk'!"

I have never understood why women get upset if a guy leaves the toilet seat up. When I gotta pee, I walk into the bathroom and look at the throne while pulling my pants down. If my bf has left the seat up, I put it down --- a whopping half a second of effort. Do other women just blindly plonk their butts down without looking? Why is this a commonly joked about "problem" with couples?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Over in the PYF Shark Tank thread, an episode was posted about a couple selling a stuffed elephant as a way to communicate with partner that "we have to talk". (It's hilariously bad if you like that sort of thing.) One of the examples the wife gives is "if he leaves the toilet seat up, this gives me a way to tell him 'I'm upset about something, and we have to talk'!"

I have never understood why women get upset if a guy leaves the toilet seat up. When I gotta pee, I walk into the bathroom and look at the throne while pulling my pants down. If my bf has left the seat up, I put it down --- a whopping half a second of effort. Do other women just blindly plonk their butts down without looking? Why is this a commonly joked about "problem" with couples?

Because women need something to complain about. They get just as mad when you don't put the seat up and "accidentaly" pee on the seat itself. :)

I always put the seat down and if there is a second "cover" top I put that down too.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ Gross, what kind of person doesn't wipe up their own pee in their own house who's older than 5?

Do other women just blindly plonk their butts down without looking?

Probably some of them sometimes? I never have personally but I can imagine maybe it's the middle of the night and you're sleepy and not paying attention, maybe you're running late and in a hurry and don't notice, maybe you're an absent-minded person in general? It's frankly good practice to put the whole lid down, not just the seat, before you flush to avoid spraying around more toilet germs than absolutely inevitable, which is a good compromise because both parties will have to do an equal amount of lifting/lowering.

I imagine it's something joked about a lot because it's one of those small little inconsiderate but non-malicious things that add up over the years? It's harmless and understandable even to people who don't have that particular argument?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Do other women just blindly plonk their butts down without looking?

I'm a guy and this happened to me once or twice.

seating on a coverless toilet feels very cold and uninviting

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Does anybody have a website or super quick/easy tool that will count the seconds aloud? Or every 5 seconds or so? I don't have a clock in my apartment and need a way of tracking time during yoga/stretching without having to count in my head or get up every 60 seconds to set a new alarm.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What's the best way to de-yellow old plastic?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Does anybody have a website or super quick/easy tool that will count the seconds aloud? Or every 5 seconds or so? I don't have a clock in my apartment and need a way of tracking time during yoga/stretching without having to count in my head or get up every 60 seconds to set a new alarm.

Would something like this work?
http://www.metronomeonline.com/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mescal posted:

I don't think that you can; I don't know for sure since I'm not at all an expert, but I feel like that's a permanent chemical change.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

KnifeWrench posted:

Would something like this work?
http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Kind of. I was hoping for a tool that said the count out loud at regular intervals. E.g. "5, 10, 15, 20, 25" and so on. I swear I had found one ages ago but I can't find it again using google for the life of me. It probably wouldn't be that hard to do using audacity (just create a looping sound file, 60 seconds long, with a computer voice at the proper points) but then I'd have to download audacity and tinker around for a while learning how to do that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

This works, but is time consuming: http://makezine.com/2009/03/02/unyellow-old-plastics-retr0brite/

Also it's not exactly permanent, you can expect some of the discoloration to come back after 5-15 years.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Kind of. I was hoping for a tool that said the count out loud at regular intervals. E.g. "5, 10, 15, 20, 25" and so on. I swear I had found one ages ago but I can't find it again using google for the life of me. It probably wouldn't be that hard to do using audacity (just create a looping sound file, 60 seconds long, with a computer voice at the proper points) but then I'd have to download audacity and tinker around for a while learning how to do that.

Hmm. Still looking for something like that, but if you don't absolutely need the granular progress indication, there's a ton of stuff like this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiiT7YE-ZRA

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Who the gently caress stands up to pee in their own home? Sit the gently caress down. Get some rest, look at stupid poo poo on your phone, and don't worry about aiming.

Really I am baffled. Do you dudes stand up and pee at home? I only do it in gross bar/fast food place bathrooms.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Werner-Boogle posted:

Who the gently caress stands up to pee in their own home? Sit the gently caress down. Get some rest, look at stupid poo poo on your phone, and don't worry about aiming.

Really I am baffled. Do you dudes stand up and pee at home? I only do it in gross bar/fast food place bathrooms.

Is this a joke or troll. Men stand up. Even at home.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Is this a joke or troll. Men stand up. Even at home.

Forums user stickyfngrdboy is very concerned about what strange men do in their personal toilet time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Werner-Boogle posted:

Uh I don't know about you but there's not much rest to be gained or time to look at my phone when I take a quick piss.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh I don't know about you but there's not much rest to be gained or time to look at my phone when I take a quick piss.

I often find myself drinking many litres of excess water a day just so that I have every possible excuse to go sit down on the can and check if Werner-Boogle has made another post. Even that's not enough - in previous jobs I've had to fake diabetes to justify the number of times I go visit the toilet. But sometimes, just sometimes, all my hard work will pay off, and I'll open the toilet lid to find another little Werner-Boogle post waiting for me. When that happens I can't help but turn around, sit down, and squeeze off one or two of my own so he doesn't feel so lonely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Werner-Boogle posted:

lol look at this sitzpinkler.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

Hmm. Still looking for something like that, but if you don't absolutely need the granular progress indication, there's a ton of stuff like this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiiT7YE-ZRA

I think I'll use that until I can be bothered to make one myself. Thanks.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I am doing some excel work. I am copy pasting information from a table on a website into excel. There are a few problems.

1. Gaps created.
The data table on the website has no row games between the data. By that I mean entry 1 is on row 1, entry 2 is on row 2. When I copy paste the information into excel, it is skipping lines. By that I mean entry 1 is on row 1, entry 2 is on row 3, entry 3 is on row 5, etc. Is there a quick and easy way to remove like, every other line? or flatten the data?

2. Trying to put all the text from many cells into one cell.
Let's say there are five entries with company names in 5 individual cells. I want to easily and quickly copy and paste the 5 company names into 1 cell. What is the best way to accomplish this?

I could technically do it by hand but there are thousands of entries.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Huntersoninski posted:

Forums user stickyfngrdboy is very concerned about what strange men do in their personal toilet time.

sitting down to piss is mental, and if someone needs to rest while they're pissing they have other issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Werner-Boogle posted:

I actually recently started doing this because I figured it'd cut down on splashing. I continue largely because it drives my wife a bit mental.