Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Affordable health care from a BLACK MAN? Whoa, none for me, thanks. *waits until a white guy takes office* yessssssssssssss this health care is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

You don't understand, the government only reports unemployment that makes itself look good, it's been shifting real unemployment from one category to another and under-reporting on people who've given up on finding jobs.

Now let me explain how unemployment is so high that we're actually in a Great Depression and the only salvation is Lyndon LaRouche

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It's gonna be really weird when Hilary wins and we go like 20 years without the President getting credit for anything good that happens.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Well, let's get this one out of the way:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

^^^ Oh gently caress you.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Obama 2012 posted:

Well, let's get this one out of the way:

Yeah.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Kajeesus posted:

Even Fox News saw right through Bibi's grandstanding. You can't actually believe what you're writing.

That was an odd video, as Shep Smith is an odd pundit. It seems he is at the point of not giving a poo poo and just says and does as he wishes.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

He has a long history of saying whatever the gently caress he wants regardless of the rest of the network's narrative. When I get my annual dose of Fox by visiting my parent's place he's probably the only guy on the network that doesn't make me cringe on sight.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

KennyMan666 posted:

^^^ Oh gently caress you.

Heh. Here, I'll try to make it up to you:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hey Liberals, if you hate the 99% so much, why do you side with the 95% of scientists who think global warming is a serious threat? Check and mate :smugdog:

Ho ho, that Michael Moore and his relentless support for Obama's drone program. What a dummy! Also what's with our "jive" president and his backwards hats?

3 :golfclap:

Any day now...

drat you, Obama's!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

colonel_korn posted:

drat you, Obama's!
What do the giant turds represent?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just out of curiosity, is there a situation in which "states rights" are actually a good thing? I may be relying on biased sources that only invoke that phrase to defend some heinous poo poo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I'm pretty sure those are just giant piles of mud

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Ho ho, that Michael Moore and his relentless support for Obama's drone program. What a dummy! Also what's with our "jive" president and his backwards hats?

Lester sure does like to pretend like Obama initiating military action is just him being stupid and lazy and playing video games. He did this same poo poo with the OBL mission.

He's also a maladjusted, racist, wife-beating putz.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Xander77 posted:

Just out of curiosity, is there a situation in which "states rights" are actually a good thing? I may be relying on biased sources that only invoke that phrase to defend some heinous poo poo.

If you're a liberal hippy then it's a good thing for Marijuana legislation.

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure those are just giant piles of mud

No, no, they're rocks.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Looks like giant-bama left a little something else there too.

Now, here's something really fun. I just found this guy Yonatin Frimer who does political cartoon mazes. It's like the best (worst) of the editorial page meets those kids pages some papers put out weekly.

Gives new meaning to the phrase "get me the hell out of this terrible political cartoon" doesn't it

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Shepard Smith is just another spokesperson for FOX but sometimes something is so horrifically poo poo that his programming malfunctions. He went off the cuff when Katrina hit, going totally off-script and saying things were terrible and that people were suffering, contrary to the narrative of Most Prestigious Leader Prez.

Have another measles comic, IT IS A GOOD PAIN:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

It took me too long to realize those weren't stick figure smiley faces on monkeys that were wearing hoodies.

vvv see edit two posts down

Pander fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 28, 2015

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

How the gently caress do you misspell the word "are"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

Republican-dominated Congress and Republican-dominated Senate. I guess.

The chimp muzzles look like stick figure heads.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Haha, drat I love this one.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Republican-dominated Congress and Republican-dominated Senate. I guess.

The chimp muzzles look like stick figure heads.

I kinda like it when their heads are craned forward more, rather than upright.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Not the Greece Fire :ohdear:

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

It's (not) poo poo!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I thought they were bears. Y'know, alaska, grizzlies, that sorta thing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Hey Liberals, if you hate the 99% so much, why do you side with the 95% of scientists who think global warming is a serious threat? Check and mate :smugdog:
I always love this because a climatologist can easily make more money just making up poo poo for oil company fronts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

I always love this because a climatologist can easily make more money just making up poo poo for oil company fronts.

And a political cartoonist can make money from those same oil companies by drawing obvious lies. Weird that no cartoonist is taking advantage of that yet.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

zeroprime posted:

It's (not) poo poo!

drat you. :argh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Greece will go so far left it will become an ideal communist/post-scarcity utopia where flying cars are finally realized now that mankind has time to focus on the important things. A Star Trek cartoon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

zoux posted:

And a political cartoonist can make money from those same oil companies by drawing obvious lies. Weird that no cartoonist is taking advantage of that yet.
I love that Branco puts the front's name on there :allears:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Gonna be interesting in 50-100 years when all the world's oil dries up to see what happens to the middle east.

Just kidding I already know all the rich guys will just leave and the region will basically turn into sub-Saharan Africa now that the west has no reason to give a gently caress.

The world's oil is not going to dry up that soon, but it may become significantly more expensive. No offense, but people have been saying "any day now" about peak oil since the 50s.

Duped again by Big Climate :argh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

alnilam posted:

The world's oil is not going to dry up that soon, but it may become significantly more expensive. No offense, but people have been saying "any day now" about peak oil since the 50s.

It almost definitely will dry up to the point where we'll be scrounging it out of the arctic or making it out of coal within 50-100 years unless current use trends change radically (which admittedly they might, I mean ITER might work and that would be rad).

People were saying "any day now" since the 50's because there wasn't much actual research put into it until recently, and our ability to find untapped oil reserves has gotten dramatically better as well so we can factor those in to modern predictions. Now we can state with pretty good confidence that peak oil has either already happened or will happen within 20 years, depending on which definition you use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predicting_the_timing_of_peak_oil posted:

There is a general consensus between industry leaders and analysts that world oil production will peak between 2010 and 2030, with a significant chance that the peak will occur before 2020. Dates after 2030 are considered implausible
Given the large range offered by meta-studies, papers published since 2010 have been relatively pessimistic. A 2010 Kuwait University study predicted production will peak in 2014.[6] A 2010 Oxford University study predicted that production will peak before 2015.[7] A 2014 validation of a significant 2004 study in the journal Energy proposed that it is likely that conventional oil production peaked, according to various definitions, between 2005 and 2011.

The "US Energy Information Association" says that it will never peak even out past 2040, but they include predicted biofuel growth, natural gas and other things which are more reasonable.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

"Peak" oil is very different from "the world's oil drying up," though. Plus, what peak oil is depends a lot on what metrics you use. At what price/barrel? Are we talking in terms of proved reserves? (in which case peak oil is probably soon or behind us us). In terms of technically recoverable? Maybe not. What about technically irrecoverable resources becoming recoverable with changing technology? A large part of the reason people said any day now about peak oil in past decades, was that technology for recovery at the time made "technically recoverable" a much higher bar. For the extraction tech they knew, peak oil may well have been in the 20th century.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rorus Raz posted:

The only thing wrong with that toon is he didn't have his oil shill hat on. Can someone fix that glaring oversight?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, the ear fish is a nice touch, but why is there a loving NES cart submerged in the water?
Because NES cartridges don't float?

vyelkin posted:

:words: and cartoons on Russia and sanctions.
This is a drat good post.

Acropolis posted:

Good idea. Here's a template.

"Actually ma'am, I just joined up to see all the men in uniform. This was back during Don't Ask, Don't Tell, y'see."
God I love that quote.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Rocket Attack from Syria

according to the AP:
"At least two rockets launched from Syria struck the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights on Tuesday and Israel responded with artillery fire, the Israeli military said. The fire comes after an airstrike last week in Syria attributed to Israel that killed six members of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah and an Iranian general. Israel has braced for a response to that strike, beefing up its air defenses and increasing surveillance along its northern frontier. Israeli military spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner said the fire "appeared to be intentional." He declined to comment on whether the fire may have been connected to the strike last week. A message on Lerner's Twitter account said Israel "responded with artillery towards the positions that launched the attack."-more
Due to popular demand, we've re-opened our indiegogo site. We reached (and went beyond) our fund-raising goal but so many people have asked if they can still contribute and receive our "perks" (Dry Bones Haggadahs, dvd's, etc.) that we've been forced to comply. To check it out go to http://igg.me/at/drybones
Labels: golan, Iran, Islam, missile attack, Missiles, Muslims, Rockets, Syria

Some kind of dog shaped people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

alnilam posted:

"Peak" oil is very different from "the world's oil drying up," though. Plus, what peak oil is depends a lot on what metrics you use. At what price/barrel? Are we talking in terms of proved reserves? (in which case peak oil is probably soon or behind us us). In terms of technically recoverable? Maybe not. What about technically irrecoverable resources becoming recoverable with changing technology? A large part of the reason people said any day now about peak oil in past decades, was that technology for recovery at the time made "technically recoverable" a much higher bar. For the extraction tech they knew, peak oil may well have been in the 20th century.

Yeah, the article I referenced goes over technically recoverable etc, lumps them into "Unconventional Sources" and goes on to say "Unconventional oil is not currently predicted to meet the expected shortfall even in a best-case scenario.[1] For unconventional oil to fill the gap without "potentially serious impacts on the global economy", oil production would have to remain stable after its peak, until 2035 at the earliest."

And yes, at peak oil we're not out, but since usage probably won't go down for some time after that (90% of the US's transportation is still based on oil, we're not going to swap out every engine overnight, China and India are still exploding, etc) the amount of time it will take us to burn through the remaining oil supplies will wind up being way, way shorter than the time it took us to get to the peak. I do admit that I believe we'll be able to shift off oil onto something better like hydrogen or methane before we completely tap out all the supplies but since it only took us ~150 years to go from zero to peak, and most of that time was spent with demand at less than 10% of the levels we see today, I don't think it's unreasonable to predict that we'll run out of useful oil within 50-100 years even if we develop renewables and the price per barrel skyrockets.

Is there an energy thread? I'd be interested in seeing other people's viewpoints on this matter like yours alnilam without making GBS threads up the polititoons thread more than I already have. I guess I could take it to the climate change thread...

• Locked thread