Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Main Paineframe posted:

You're quoting president that involves lethal force.

third year law student lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

AndNowMax posted:

third year law student lol

bro's in CA. Probably an unaccredited school.

I mean, ya, he's not a law student. But CA has some really bad law schools.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Necc0 posted:

Yup. They do. Back when I was on the bench at my old consulting gig I thought about doing uber for the gently caress of it but they didn't allow mustangs or any other coupes

what the hell

i didn't want to uber in my car but now that i know i can't i want to uber just out of spite

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

would you get in a coupe jitney?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uber made a big deal out of former goon deadmouse driving people around in his meme ferrari

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

kwinkles posted:

what the hell

i didn't want to uber in my car but now that i know i can't i want to uber just out of spite

totally not employees, guys!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

qirex posted:

uber made a big deal out of former goon deadmouse driving people around in his meme ferrari

deadmouse is a former goon? More proof that nothing good comes out of this site.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Myself included. If I ever do anything of note.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vodkat posted:

deadmouse is a former goon? More proof that nothing good comes out of this site.

haha yeah he regged and was immediately trained

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
and the hits keep coming. got this email earlier today.

uber south florida posted:

Hey James,

The Palm Beach County Commission voted to issue a cease and desist letter to Uber today. We wanted to let you know that Uber will continue to operate and connect users with safe, affordable and reliable rides through our app.

The County Commission's action is surprising and disappointing, given that Uber has been providing residents with a safe alternative to move around the community, and local drivers with economic opportunities for nearly six months now. Palm Beach County should be standing for innovation, choice and opportunity.

ASK THE PALM BEACH COUNTY COMMISSION TO STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHT TO RIDE!

From our $1M primary insurance policy that covers all trips, to our federal, state and local background checks going back 7 years, Uber has set the standard for safety in Palm Beach County. In fact, our insurance coverage is more than 3x what is required of local taxis.

If you want continued access to the safest, most convenient rides on the road, email and call the County Commission and tell them that Palm Beach County needs Uber. Let them know how removing Uber from Palm Beach County, even temporarily, would limit your ability to move around the community reliably and affordably. Urge them to work with Uber to find a permanent home for ridesharing in Palm Beach County.

REACH OUT TO YOUR COUNTY COMMISSIONER TODAY! Not sure which District you're in? Find out here.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

ChrisInABQ said: ↑
Did anyone find out if this Spotify crap draws off our data? Not that I'm going to do it anyways, but just wondering if this is one more perk Uber expects us to take out of our great rates.

quote:

Yes from what I understand it uses from our data...

uber posted:

I use my own device to run the Uber Partner App. How much data will music use?
If you use the Uber Partner app on an Uber-provided phone, the data cost will be covered by the subscription fee.

If you use the Uber Partner app on your own phone, the data use will go against your personal data plan and therefore may be an additional cost. This integration, though, does stream music at a rate that uses the least amount of data (96 kbps). Since this may impact your data plan cost as it gains more adoption, it’s good to remember that you have access to discounted phone plans with carriers like AT&T and Verizon, and we are in talks to expand these discounts in the coming months. We’re also working closely with wireless carriers to offer discounted (zero-rated) data plans that do not charge for music streaming. Again, enabling music for your riders is your choice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
if only there was some sort of free way to get music in a car in a major metropolitan area...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it's free, as long as you buy it from the company store...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i'm not sure what's funnier. the fact that uber seems to think people will change their cellphone plan just to be able to play whatever lovely music their passengers want to hear, or the fact that some people probably will actually follow that advice and do it

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

qirex posted:

dotties [the old one in the 'loin] and burma super star were the first places I ever saw people wait in line for an hour for food

laughing at the idea of people standing around on the sidewalk on 6th & market for 90 minutes to eat some eggs

burma super star used to be worth standing in line for an hour (maybe still is, i don't live in sf anymore)

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
wait so what happened to uber requiring drivers to use an uber-provisioned phone to use the driver app? i remember they started charging fees for them, but have they just gone full "use your own phone and lol sorry if our lovely app wrecks its battery and uses a meg a minute doing GPS updates"?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

wait so what happened to uber requiring drivers to use an uber-provisioned phone to use the driver app? i remember they started charging fees for them, but have they just gone full "use your own phone and lol sorry if our lovely app wrecks its battery and uses a meg a minute doing GPS updates"?

apparently they started letting people use their own phones (and data plans) after their whole "charging users a subscription fee to have an uber phone" thing was poorly received

though apparently that has its own risks as well

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/01/27/police-drunk-arlington-man-tries-to-kiss-his-uber-driver-steals-her-phone/

quote:

A drunk Arlington man tried to kiss his Uber driver over the weekend and, when she resisted, allegedly grabbed her scarf and knocked a phone out of her hand to prevent her from calling the cops. The driver escaped by jumping out of her non-moving vehicle, according to Arlington County police.

The incident occurred about 6 p.m. Saturday in the 2200 block of South Garfield Street in south Arlington. ARLnow.com first reported the incident.

The man, 31-year-old Richard Hilliard, lives nearby and walked home with the Uber driver’s phone in hand. Hilliard left the phone on the front steps of his house, and a witness, who had reportedly followed him home, recovered it. Hilliard was arrested at his house, and police say he tried to kick out the police vehicle’s rear window numerous times while being transported.

He was charged with robbery, attempted destruction of property and preventing someone from making a 911 call.

Uber called this an “appalling and serious crime.”

“We are in contact with our valued driver partner and will continue to provide support,” the statement read. “Upon learning of the incident we immediately and permanently removed the rider from our platform, and stand ready to assist authorities.”

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

what, no charges of sexual assault?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Main Paineframe posted:

apparently they started letting people use their own phones (and data plans) after their whole "charging users a subscription fee to have an uber phone" thing was poorly received

though apparently that has its own risks as well

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/01/27/police-drunk-arlington-man-tries-to-kiss-his-uber-driver-steals-her-phone/

it probably is for tax/1099 purposes. if you force the employees INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS to use your tools it's a strike against you. like imagine if you told a plumber they had to use your crappy set of tools.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he doesn't have to, but i'll gladly rent him a wrench at a discount from our private store

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lmao that people think the ~MILLION DOLLAR INSURANCE POLICY~ is impressive or good

Apr 7, 2003

Travis kalahnick: I will insure you for..*pinky to lip* ONE MILLION DOLLARS

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

infernal machines posted:

he doesn't have to, but i'll gladly rent him a wrench at a discount from our private store

share sixteen rides, and whattaya get

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

welcome to your cyberpunk dystopia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Spime Wrangler posted:

share sixteen rides, and whattaya get

another day older and charged with sexual assault

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

:barf:

Apr 7, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I get discounts for reporting my fitness activities.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

chestnut santabag posted:

what, no charges of sexual assault?
hey he paid his $1 fee

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm sorry employee #34601 but we can clearly see that you are not perform the optimal amount of exercise according to your mandatory corporate Fitbit and thus need to slash our contribution to your health insurance.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i got a 250 dollar contribution to my HSA for having my blood drawn. it got wiped out by one prescription. lol!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

our prescription coverage mandated that we use their mail-order pharmacy for recurring prescriptions, touting it as cheaper and easier.

every refill is now a back and forth with denials and approvals and also it's more expensive.

thx

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh and they recently locked up the remote for the projector in the conference room that is rarely used. now you hvae to schedule your appointment with an empty room that's right there so somebody can come over and unlock a cupboard to give you the $30 remote

meanwhile the bottom-floor urinals still only half-flush and my cubicle remains unfinished about 3 years after moving to the building.

at least i haven't seen a cockroach in a while

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ultramiraculous posted:

im the uber driver whose car has no working power ports in it

duTrieux. posted:

oh and they recently locked up the remote for the projector in the conference room that is rarely used. now you hvae to schedule your appointment with an empty room that's right there so somebody can come over and unlock a cupboard to give you the $30 remote

get a phone with an ir thingy on it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

get a phone with an ir thingy on it

i ordered a universal and also a key for my cubicle drawers to lock it up (the cubes are standardized and if you can find the identifier number on the lock you can jus torder replacement keys from, like, whomever. keys were never issued to any of us by the company)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

I get discounts for reporting my fitness activities.

wonder how long before people rig up a device to make the fit bit think you ran 5 miles when it was really just hooked up to a vibrator.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is good. more companies should do wellness programs.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Nintendo Kid posted:

im the uber driver whose car has no working power ports in it

gotta keep the stun gun charged

priorities man

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

my company does health reimbursements for things like fitbit

like, i didn't have to pay for it? but it's still not from the company directly or something?

ya'll are reading that wrong

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

our prescription coverage mandated that we use their mail-order pharmacy for recurring prescriptions, touting it as cheaper and easier.

every refill is now a back and forth with denials and approvals and also it's more expensive.

thx

could be worse. friend's plan is required mail order except for some random medications where you have to go to cvs (and only cvs) to get them filled. oh and despite them not being scheduled (so the Dr can write scripts for refills) you have to get approval from the insurance per refill. which they routinely deny and ask for the same proof over and over that a generic medication with completely different mechanism of action won't work instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

duTrieux. posted:

i ordered a universal and also a key for my cubicle drawers to lock it up (the cubes are standardized and if you can find the identifier number on the lock you can jus torder replacement keys from, like, whomever. keys were never issued to any of us by the company)

our drawer locks are literally trivial to pick. maybe yours are too. i've taught about 15 people in my office how to open any of those locks in under 30 seconds using packing staples as lockpicks

• Locked thread