Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I figured if the damage went up with levels beaten it'd stay on par. By the time you're at the Throne it'd be around the strength of the energy hammer, and then it'd become loop-viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Did anyone hear that new Desert music? Played once in like, 50 playthroughs in a row for me. It was more or less similar but in a slowed guitar version, not unlike the one that plays after the first boss.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Black August posted:

I figured if the damage went up with levels beaten it'd stay on par. By the time you're at the Throne it'd be around the strength of the energy hammer, and then it'd become loop-viable.

Seems a bit powerful from the get go, maybe add the scaling to the throne butt?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Every major level has alternate music. It only has a 2% or some low chance of playing, though.

Another thing they'd be neat to see is changes to loop levels. Like a sunset desert or alternate colored scrapyard, to show off its different. Besides, you know, the screaming hordes of murder.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nalesh posted:

Seems a bit powerful from the get go, maybe add the scaling to the throne butt?

Not at all. The sword starts at power 6. The sledgehammer alone is power 18, the energy hammer a 30, both of those are on hand before the Palace. Even at 2 pips a level the sword would only be a power of 34 by the throne.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The real problem I have with chicken and any other character that they do not have Y.V. horn :(

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Michaellaneous posted:

The real problem I have with chicken and any other character that they do not have Y.V. horn :(

Chicken should have that YOOOOOOOOOOOOOH thing.
Steroids should just have a Randy Savage sound clip of him going OOOOOOH YEEEEEEEAAAAAH!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would not mind every character getting their own sound you can play.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Black August posted:

The game doesn't go out of the way to make it matter. Everyone save the androgynous Rogue is a chubby little wiggly mutant thing.

I remember hearing that Crystal is supposedly female. Hell, Steroids could be too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I watched a random stream of this and saw a bizarrely large number of people in chat talking about the gender identity of these action videogame pixels. I learned that crystal, chicken, rebel and rogue are female, while eyes, fish, Y.V., steroids and melting are male. Robot, horror, and plant do not have a gender.

Why do people do this.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I watched a random stream of this and saw a bizarrely large number of people in chat talking about the gender identity of these action videogame pixels. I learned that crystal, chicken, rebel and rogue are female, while eyes, fish, Y.V., steroids and melting are male. Robot, horror, and plant do not have a gender.

Why do people do this.

It's called the internet.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The portal screen tips use gendered pronouns for most of the characters, Horror, Plant, and Robot are the only ones that are genderless. Other than them it is a pretty even divide, Rogue, Rebel, Chicken, and Crystal are ladies; while Fish, Steroids, Y.V., Melting, and Eyes are males. Y.V. is of course a God, but the game genders him so :shrug:. This does matter, because the game has good representation (the only non-mutant character is a PoC too), which is pretty lacking in most games these days, a lot of indie titles are starting to do it really well though. Just because gender-based discrimination/representation doesn't affect you personally doesn't mean is isn't an important issue :thumbsup:.

Also whoever asked about Chicken's thronebutt was given largely a wrong answer, it has no effect on your movement speed, but allows you to fire your weapons as if time wasn't slowed. Her ultra that affects the time slow increases the area of effect, by defulat only a small circle around you is actually slowed, which is the problem with how the slow motion works (in addition to how it makes shotguns and grenades almost worthless), but they have said on stream that the way slow motion works will be completely rewritten in the future so that all of the weapons work as you would expect.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 27, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I hope they change the way melee enemies damage you in one of the updates soon. I'm losing a lot of promising games because I brushed up against a melee enemy and it counted the damage a bunch of times at once. The shield police are also a problem but maybe I need to use more melee and energy weapons.

AndroidHub posted:

Just because gender-based discrimination/representation doesn't affect you personally doesn't mean is isn't an important issue :thumbsup:.

It affects me extremely personally in the real world, every single day, and you have nothing on which to base the assumption that it doesn't. Nor am I implying that it's not important. I take gender identity very seriously for human beings. Unlike human beings, these are action videogame pixels who stab crows with screwdrivers (and the majority of them aren't even meant to be human). These pixels are not particularly important to me beyond which one is the cutest, which I think is tied between rebel and horror.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 27, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Steroids is mai husbando

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

I hope they change the way melee enemies damage you in one of the updates soon. I'm losing a lot of promising games because I brushed up against a melee enemy and it counted the damage a bunch of times at once. The shield police are also a problem but maybe I need to use more melee and energy weapons.

I happened to read that both of these issues are intended to be addressed by the devs, so have no fear! Shielders are the worst but will be changed so that they're not the worst by virtue of there being something much worse than them.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

might not* :rolleyes:

You were literally questioning why people would care about the genders of characters in a videogame, my apologies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AnonSpore posted:

Steroids is mai husbando

I would hug and kiss Y.V.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Why do people do this.

They have genders because the loading screen tips say they do, that's really all there is to it. Also chicken is a chicken and not a rooster. I believe they referred to chicken as a he (or rather, did not refer to chicken's gender at all because who really gives a poo poo besides pedantic nerds it's a chicken with a katana) but then people asked about it and they put in the 'Chicken loves her sword' loading screen tip in response.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would hug and kiss Y.V.

It's hard not to fall head over heels for someone with that much cash money, but maybe I'm just shameless

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nuclear Throne: it's a chicken with a katana

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bet YV would be squishy. Sure he's got those sharp corners on the edge of his, uh, pyramid body, but as long as you mind the eye you should be okay. Now Steroids on the other hand, hugging Steroids would be like wrapping your arms around a granite cliff face. Your choice on that front really depends on how much you value intelligence; sure YV's got guns and Steroids's got the other kind of guns but is the former versed in great works of literature? I don't think so. You've got to weigh all of the pros and cons of which Nuclear Throne character you would cuddle with.

edit: what am i doing with my life

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 27, 2015

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I bet YV would be squishy. Sure he's got those sharp corners on the edge of his, uh, pyramid body, but as long as you mind the eye you should be okay. Now Steroids on the other hand, hugging Steroids would be like wrapping your arms around a granite cliff face. Your choice on that front really depends on how much you value intelligence; sure YV's got guns and Steroids's got the other kind of guns but is the former versed in great works of literature? I don't think so. You've got to weigh all of the pros and cons of which Nuclear Throne character you would cuddle with.

edit: what am i doing with my life

Are you a gun? No? You don't get to cuddle YV.

I hope the next major update adds in new IDPD. My guess has always been they'd end up emulating each character in playstyle and power. We already have a Crystal IDPD, a Fish one, and an Eyes one.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Steroids used to be a scientist. :eng101:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want a rat character. Also I just noticed that the medkits on the secret sewers level are changed to be pieces of pizza. :3:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I really want to play as one of the crow dudes from the scrapyard.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Apparently I missed two rad canisters in the palace. I killed the throne, got to 0_1, and instantly got murdered by a beam from horror.

gently caress you, game. This run was good, I had an energy sword + heavy revolver with back muscle, long arms, recycle gland, laser brain, second stomach, boiling veins, strong spirit, rabbit paw, throne butt on eyes.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Samopsa posted:

Apparently I missed two rad canisters in the palace. I killed the throne, got to 0_1, and instantly got murdered by a beam from horror.

gently caress you, game. This run was good, I had an energy sword + heavy revolver with back muscle, long arms, recycle gland, laser brain, second stomach, boiling veins, strong spirit, rabbit paw, throne butt on eyes.

This happened to me today. I had two energy swords on steroids with laser brain.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

That's happened to me a few times while looping, fought horror once in a crown vault. It's really easy to miss canisters once you're deep enough, but it's equally easy for them to just get busted by enemies as well.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

When a patch wipes characters I like to spend a run or so just hunting Horror so they're accounted for.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
I finally got to a second loop today, during the daily of all things, and I got rank 2! That's pretty heartening after my last daily where I died to big bandit :downsgun:

Robot's throne butt + crown of guns + ultra B is pretty hilarious, especially since I had strong spirit.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So the nuclear throne wiki is pretty cool. Your mouse turns into the cursor from the game and when you click it sounds like a revolver shoots.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You failed to mention the best part, the massive screen shaking that clicking causes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So okay I dunno if this is a new bug or an existing one, but sometimes when I fire the grenade launcher in the same direction as I am moving, the grenade will go approximately two inches from me and then explode right on top of me. It only happens with the normal launcher, not the toxic one or bazooka etc. It's very aggravating.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Are you using Chicken's slowdown

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was playing as Steroids as I almost always do. I mean it INSTANTLY explodes too, like it hit an enemy or setpiece object or something.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

If an explosive projectile comes into contact with an active explosion it will detonate, but that's usually only an issue with the automatic explosive weapons (gatling bazooka, auto grenade shotgun etc). But frankly, if you're using explosives without boiling veins against anything besides the throne you're asking for your own demise.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I intentionally skip Boiling Veins cause I think it's crappy. Have yet to do from self-induced explosions.
Can't say as much about cars being thrown in my face cause I didn't notice a robot picking it them up though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think I'm slowly getting better at this horrific game. Are there any soft/hard rules on when/for what characters you should skip chests in the hopes that you'll get a big chest later?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AnonSpore posted:

I think I'm slowly getting better at this horrific game. Are there any soft/hard rules on when/for what characters you should skip chests in the hopes that you'll get a big chest later?

Each time you skip a weapon chest you have a higher chance of getting a big weapon chance. IIRC after 3 or 4 skips it's a 100% chance

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you open the chest on 1-1 and then skip it on 1-2 and onward, you're guaranteed a big chest by 3-2 if not sooner. That's the way I usually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

HGH posted:

I intentionally skip Boiling Veins cause I think it's crappy. Have yet to do from self-induced explosions.
Can't say as much about cars being thrown in my face cause I didn't notice a robot picking it them up though.

Getting boiling veins on Y.V. opens up the door for you to grab a bazooka (or a nuke launcher, in your dreams) and treat it like it's a shotgun. No longer concerned about blowing yourself up, you can grab the crown of explosions and have a good time clearing the screen of enemies near and far.

• Locked thread