Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turnip kid
May 24, 2010

http://www.advocate.com/politics/politicians/2015/01/26/ben-carson-gays-might-find-poison-wedding-cakes

quote:

Same-sex couples shouldn’t demand wedding cakes from bakeries that don’t want to serve them — they might get poisoned, warns right-wing activist and potential presidential candidate Ben Carson.

The remark came when Carson answered a question about same-sex marriage Saturday at the Iowa Freedom Summit, a gathering of the far right, The Hill reports. “What I have a problem with is when people try to force people to act against their beliefs because they say ‘They’re discriminating against me,’” Carson said. “So they can go right down the street and buy a cake, but no, let’s bring a suit against this person because I want them to make my cake even though they don’t believe in it. Which is really not all that smart because they might put poison in that cake.”

Carson’s comment was met with “chuckles from some of his staff and dead silence from the journalists in the room,” The Hill notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MC Nietzche posted:

The problem with this I think is that it would be seen as hedging, if he was all in he'd run in KY, instead he's trying to save his senate seat etc. etc.

I love how a guy whose platform is essentially "government sucks, can't do anything right and should be made smaller" is too scared to lose his place in that same government.

Mooseontheloose posted:

No one cares about the VP slot either, unless you are monumentally bad like Palin was.

People say this all of the time but I'm not convinced it's true. I remember caring about Gore, Palin, Cheney, Lieberman, Biden to an extent, Ryan...poo poo, even Ferraro. I think the VP slot is there to round out the ticket/platform and to attract voters who aren't 100% entirely keen on the nominee. I think it matters. At least it matters to me because it tells me something about the candidate.

As "monumentally bad" as Palin was, she (for some reason) fired up the base who was lukewarm on McCain

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

First Walker ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qm4xGQYHBk

Our American Revival

Bowing photos

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

Interesting you should bring that up because she has a tendency to both begin and end sentences with 'it' and when the words are all-caps my algorithm can't distinguish between what's starting a sentence and what's ending one. So occasionally there will be tweets with the sentence 'It.' in the middle. And there's even one tweet that's just that: It.

Did it find anything strange in the way she uses the word "that"? Instead of saying "The debt is too big", she tends to say "That debt is too big" or "That x they have is blah blah ". I'm not sure why but it really grates on my ears.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

First Walker ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qm4xGQYHBk

Our American Revival

Bowing photos

This is what, 2 hours after he announced he's cutting 300 mil from schools?

EDIT: Ok seriously, what the gently caress, how can Walker look at the smoking ruins of Wisconsin and think "Goddamn, this sure is a good thing."

:stare:

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 28, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
They're ok with the grand jury process when it's used to acquit cops who kill black people, but not when it's used to indict a governor, I guess.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Ain't make me poison a gay. I'll do it" - a man who millions ostensibly wish to see made President

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

bpower posted:

Did it find anything strange in the way she uses the word "that"? Instead of saying "The debt is too big", she tends to say "That debt is too big" or "That x they have is blah blah ". I'm not sure why but it really grates on my ears.

I didn't think to look at that but I'll check it out when I get home

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Title casing makes everything look like a tweet from Jayden Smith.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

People say this all of the time but I'm not convinced it's true. I remember caring about Gore, Palin, Cheney, Lieberman, Biden to an extent, Ryan...poo poo, even Ferraro. I think the VP slot is there to round out the ticket/platform and to attract voters who aren't 100% entirely keen on the nominee. I think it matters. At least it matters to me because it tells me something about the candidate.

As "monumentally bad" as Palin was, she (for some reason) fired up the base who was lukewarm on McCain

Running mates are something of a reflection of the decision-making process of the nominee. A good pick matters in that it confirms good judgment, while a bad one raises doubts. Hence good running mates have little positive effect on the ticket, while bad ones can hurt.

Palin's net value is questionable, because the people she fired up were solid Republican voters to begin with and the bulk of them didn't like McCain. Meanwhile, centrists who were OK with McCain were turned off by her and became more likely to vote for Obama.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Deteriorata posted:

Running mates are something of a reflection of the decision-making process of the nominee. A good pick matters in that it confirms good judgment, while a bad one raises doubts. Hence good running mates have little positive effect on the ticket, while bad ones can hurt.

Palin's net value is questionable, because the people she fired up were solid Republican voters to begin with and the bulk of them didn't like McCain. Meanwhile, centrists who were OK with McCain were turned off by her and became more likely to vote for Obama.

Yeah, it's anecdotal, I know, but I know several Republicans who were going to vote McCain, but after he chose Palin said, "It's essentially the first choice he makes as President, and that's his choice? Never mind, can't vote for him."

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Grapeshot posted:

Title casing makes everything look like a tweet from Jayden Smith.
"Palin or Jaden?" would be a fun game to play.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Deteriorata posted:

I agree with all that but what would you say about the net effect of Lieberman on Gore's ticket or Cheney on Bush's? The former turned a lot of people off to Gore and I think, conversely, Cheney arguably added some right wing credibility to GWB.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree with all that but what would you say about the net effect of Lieberman on Gore's ticket or Cheney on Bush's? The former turned a lot of people off to Gore and I think, conversely, Cheney arguably added some right wing credibility to GWB.
As much as lefties hated in, the Lieberman pick was widely popular. Gore never got such good media coverage as when he picked Lieberman, and his poll numbers peaked after the pick.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

"Palin or Jaden?" would be a fun game to play.

Reagan or Hitler? (Made by me and played by over 300 people)

https://www.onlinequizcreator.com/regan-or-hitler/quiz-33231

It is much harder than you would expect

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Funny considering that Mojo just posted an article pointing out how some of his views are too liberal and would make winning primary voters impossible.

e: http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2015/01/ben-carson-liberal-views-2016

Acrophyte fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 28, 2015

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I'd like to imagine that every member of every union ever would vote against Walker, but I think the last 6 years have proved that working class Republicans are perfectly fine with voting against their own interest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nativity In Black posted:

I'd like to imagine that every member of every union ever would vote against Walker, but I think the last 6 years have proved that working class Republicans are perfectly fine with voting against their own interest.

What if their interests are keeping black people down?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TARDISman posted:

This is what, 2 hours after he announced he's cutting 300 mil from schools?

EDIT: Ok seriously, what the gently caress, how can Walker look at the smoking ruins of Wisconsin and think "Goddamn, this sure is a good thing."

:stare:

He lives in the rich suburbs of Milwaukee and works in Madison. On one end he is sheltered by the massive amount of wealth in the area. On the other he is sheltered by the fact that the city and county basically do the opposite of what he would do on every topic.

And yes, the governor seriously takes a motorcade from his Milwaukee home to Madison every loving day because he doesn't want to live in "liberal Madison". What a waste of money. My friend lives down the street from his house and they have cops in the driveway 24/7 because everyone in the neighborhood hates him and he's afraid of vandalism.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Wow, this one surprised me.

quote:

"I have a feeling that we are doing better in the war than the people have been told. "

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

He lives in the rich suburbs of Milwaukee and works in Madison. On one end he is sheltered by the massive amount of wealth in the area. On the other he is sheltered by the fact that the city and county basically do the opposite of what he would do on every topic.

And yes, the governor seriously takes a motorcade from his Milwaukee home to Madison every loving day because he doesn't want to live in "liberal Madison". What a waste of money. My friend lives down the street from his house and they have cops in the driveway 24/7 because everyone in the neighborhood hates him and he's afraid of vandalism.

Hahaha what? What did he do to piss off the rich white Republicans who are his neighbors?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wisconsin doesn't have a governor's mansion?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Armyman25 posted:

Wisconsin doesn't have a governor's mansion?

Just because a governor's mansion exists doesn't mean a governor will actually live there. Plenty of states have their governors prefer to use the official residence for formal events only.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
^^
California Governor Jerry Brown rents an apartment a few blocks from the capital because he thought living in a state mansion was a waste of loving money.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hahaha what? What did he do to piss off the rich white Republicans who are his neighbors?
I'm fairly sure that having police shut down your loving neighborhood every day would piss off even the rightest of republicans.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just because a governor's mansion exists doesn't mean a governor will actually live there. Plenty of states have their governors prefer to use the official residence for formal events only.

Rick Snyder's the same way in Michigan, only without the motorcade. He lives outside of Ann Arbor, and only uses the governor's mansion in Lansing if he absolutely has to.

This is partially due to him being a wonkish, antisocial introvert, and not participating in any of the typical political afterhours stuff in Lansing.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

TARDISman posted:

Ok seriously, what the gently caress, how can Walker look at the smoking ruins of Wisconsin and think "Goddamn, this sure is a good thing."
In addition to what LeftistMuslimObama accurately said, Walker and his team probably get a lot of validation out of the fact that he's gotten a majority of the state's vote three times now.

Also,

Scott Walker posted:

Those groups in Washington, they tend to measure success by how many people are dependent on the government. We measure success by how many people are no longer dependent on the government.
This mentality -- regardless of how giant of a strawman it is -- is everything about today's conservatism put together, complete with implicit race-baiting, rah-rah pseudo-individualism, and the neoliberalism that has been brilliantly sold to the Republican base for decades now.

I doubt Walker can win the primary (especially if the money lines up behind Bush or Romney), but supporting the Republican Party at this point requires such a strong ignorance of basic facts that they can literally proclaim the opposite of objective reality (e.g., that Walker's platform has led to any job creation, much less the huge numbers he's promised time and time again, even though the state has been in the lower half of the 50 states in jobs created, since Walker took office) and get away with it.

So, that's how Walker can say stuff like that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Those pansyasses measure success by how many people are living. We, the real americans, measure success by how many people are no longer living.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

It said I just got the top score but without an account how will my achievements be recorded?!

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

FAUXTON posted:

Those pansyasses measure success by how many people are living. We, the real americans, measure success by how many people are no longer living.

Suddenly neocon foreign policy makes a lot more sense...

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Pfft "You've ranked 1st of Regan or Hitler"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mitt Romney's Instagram account was updated for the first time today since November 6, 2012. #tealeaves

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Come Taste The Pride"
:mitt:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Has anyone asked Romney if he had to pull over anywhere when he heard about the Mormon church disapproving of codifying abuse of gay people into actual law?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Has anyone asked Romney if he had to pull over anywhere when he heard about the Mormon church disapproving of codifying abuse of gay people into actual law?

"Land the jet please, I need to reflect."

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FMguru posted:

As much as lefties hated in, the Lieberman pick was widely popular. Gore never got such good media coverage as when he picked Lieberman, and his poll numbers peaked after the pick.

Lieberman was also McCain's real pick for VP in a unity ticket and would have honestly won him more votes the Palin did. Reaching across party lines as a Maverick would have been way more respected then an idiot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Please do not make me think of who I would prefer to still have around, Lieberman or Palin. I have things to do tonight.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

bpower posted:

"Land the jet please, I need to reflect."

"Roger that, we need to refuel and scrape some of the dog piss off anyway."

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is like the cat still playing with a half-dead mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIAjxi11wIw

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 29, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

Unless you really gently caress up your pick, who you pick has an at best marginal effect. We care because in comparison to the rest of the nation we possess unbelievable levels of political nerdery. The amount of people whose vote changes depending on whether Hillary picks Webb or Castro is probably somewhere between the number of people voting based off which pantsuit Hillary chooses and those voting based on how sexy S.E. Cupp looked when she talked about how much she disliked Hillary the day before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Necc0 posted:

I didn't think to look at that but I'll check it out when I get home

Perfect example from last night's fox news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIAjxi11wIw

12 seconds "that strike against us"
1 minute mark she says "They deserve that competition..."

What is that? Theres something really irritating about it, but I cant put my finger on it.

• Locked thread