Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I like Civilization games but I can only play them once per expansion really. I suppose I play more for the historical imagination aspect which is why I prefer Paradox games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

So, CK2+. Is it actually possible to reform the Norse religion in this mod? It seems to have done away with any of the CBs that'd be required to take any of the holy sites needed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ArchRanger posted:

So, CK2+. Is it actually possible to reform the Norse religion in this mod? It seems to have done away with any of the CBs that'd be required to take any of the holy sites needed.

To my knowledge, CKII+ is generally designed to make conquest a much bigger challenge. You could probably ask about it in the CKII thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=1), I know one of the guys who has done development work on the newest version posts there and I am sure others would have advice.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Bort Bortles posted:

To my knowledge, CKII+ is generally designed to make conquest a much bigger challenge. You could probably ask about it in the CKII thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=1), I know one of the guys who has done development work on the newest version posts there and I am sure others would have advice.

Christ, I Ctrl-F'd through eight pages of Games and didn't find it so I assumed it didn't have it's own thread anymore. Thanks.

Edit: And there it is right on the first page of Games now. I'm blind.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ArchRanger posted:

Christ, I Ctrl-F'd through eight pages of Games and didn't find it so I assumed it didn't have it's own thread anymore. Thanks.

Edit: And there it is right on the first page of Games now. I'm blind.

hahaha it is a super popular game and the thread moves quick so I guess it probably resides on the front page :v:.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RabidWeasel posted:

Civ (n > 2) is bad because it's not SMAC 2.

The correct answer. SMAC was awesome. Civ:BE managed to be even worse than Civ5.

Dibujante posted:

I used to be mad@civ because Paradox games gave me what I wanted a lot more, but then I realized that Civ 5 was just trying to do something different. And it does that different thing pretty well. Paradox games excel at presenting a historical sandbox as a set of existing relationships that you use/change/exploit to have fun. Civ 5 is more of a "blank slate" where the pleasure derives from building something from nothing. In that regard, it does well. Civ 5 is more fun than EU4 fantasia (which is the only EU4 equivalent I can think of), just like EU4 is more fun than Civ 5's historical scenarios (which I imagine would be the reverse analog).

They are indeed trying to do something very different. But having fallen in love with Paradox games Civ's approach just feels so weird. Seems very wrong to me that you conquer cities, and the inhabitants of that city don't give a poo poo, but it does cause a global happiness/health penalty because reasons. And it still shares a problem with Paradox games I think, where the player receives too much of a bonus from just owning land at all, which makes huge cobbled-together empires much, much stronger than small, well organized states, which forces you to expand. Civ 5 tried to fix this with happiness, BE tried to fix it with health, both were abject failures.

At the risk of triggering the EU3 veterans, I really think Magna Mundi came closest to a good system with Administrative Efficiency (for anyone who didn't play MM, it's entirely different from EU4 Admin. Effic.; also I'm still mad they called it that, since it can't be unambiguously abbreviated to AE. :colbert:). CK2+ also did a great job, in that even at Emperor tier your strength relied heavily on your own position, and you couldn't just rely on your Dukes to do everything for you.

StashAugustine posted:

Bonus round: Paradox games are also bad and fun :unsmigghh:

Well obviously, they've been catering to the peasants of gaming for years now.

In actual fact, they've gotten so much better (primary EU I mean, that being my main Paradox obsession), both from a QA and gameplay perspective. Keep it up Paradox Crew.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Edit: Nvm fixed it after all.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2015

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PittTheElder posted:

In actual fact, they've gotten so much better (primary EU I mean, that being my main Paradox obsession), both from a QA and gameplay perspective. Keep it up Paradox Crew.

This is why I'm confident in HOI4 and want a Victoria 3. Come on Paradox, my body is ready.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
re: Civ chat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75oun5gvDAU#t=579

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Paradox, can you please hire Leonard Nimoy to narrate something? Pretty please? If you haven't done the HoI4 tutorial yet....

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

Paradox, can you please hire Leonard Nimoy to narrate something? Pretty please? If you haven't done the HoI4 tutorial yet....

Leonard Nimoy as tutorial guide Odulf Hilter would be awesome.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

They should get Zachary Quinto instead. Got to pander to those filthy casuals.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VostokProgram posted:

COOL CORN posted:

Leonard Nimoy as tutorial guide Odulf Hilter would be awesome.

Use Leonard Nimoy's narration from Seaman as the tutorial voiceover for HoI4. All of it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
If we get Nimoy then Paradoxplaza will explode in rage over us wasting money on non essential stuff. (if you missed the whole about pretty graphics = less time on gameplay because everyone knows the programmers make the art) Maybe a DLC? then we could have him narrate more than the tutorial, like in game stuff such as tank and gunfire sounds. Would be awesome.

"Pew pew pew, pew" -Leonard Nimoy

I still want Christopher Lee to do something for Charlemagne... :saddowns:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 29, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groogy posted:

If we get Nimoy then Paradoxplaza will explode in rage over us wasting money on non essential stuff. (if you missed the whole about pretty graphics = less time on gameplay because everyone knows the programmers make the art) Maybe a DLC? then we could have him narrate more than the tutorial, like in game stuff such as tank and gunfire sounds. Would be awesome.

"Pew pew pew, pew" -Leonard Nimoy

I still want Christopher Lee to do something for Charlemagne... :saddowns:
Paradox should hire a bunch of famous actors to do the yells in the battle sounds, with custom sounds for each culture. Dolph Lundgren for Swedish, Arnold Schwarzenegger for Austria, Russell Crowe for English, and so on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox should hire a bunch of famous actors to do the yells in the battle sounds, with custom sounds for each culture. Dolph Lundgren for Swedish, Arnold Schwarzenegger for Austria, Russell Crowe for English, and so on.

Brian Blessed. Brian Blessed is all you need.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox should hire a bunch of famous actors to do the yells in the battle sounds, with custom sounds for each culture. Dolph Lundgren for Swedish, Arnold Schwarzenegger for Austria, Russell CroweBrian Blessed for English, and so on.

:colbert:

So I'm tinkering with the Random New World start with a random tribe - Ojiwbe? - and things are going relatively well (it was an odd start, I was an OPM with two two-province powers to the west and south, but there were other OPMs with me on the coast and it's now at the stage where I'm becoming a strong power on the north-east coast with a few OPM vassals to annex into soonish). 1) How much forethought should I put into surviving against the inevitable European expansion if I can lock down my coastline? There's no colonizable provinces on the Totemist side of the continent (though there's a few Animist nations down south who have some nearby). And 2) I'm assuming I should just rush my native ideas ASAP to get the cost reducing ideas down so I can start spending sensible amount of power points on normal tech?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Alchenar posted:

"I KNEW YOU'D FALL FOR THAT!" every time you get an encirclement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVa_4UOvb-g

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brian Blessed should do the voices for cornwall since it keeps getting independent in all EU games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

"I KNEW YOU'D FALL FOR THAT!" every time you get an encirclement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVa_4UOvb-g

Every time an assassination plot in CK fails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dWpCy8rdc

e: no jokes I would pay so much for DLC that added a Brian Blessed voiceover for any Paradox game. Or any game really.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Hold on to your butts:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218844/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One review, pretty much nails it :shrug:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Alchenar posted:

I'll see what I can do....

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

One review, pretty much nails it :shrug:

You said any game, get buying :colbert:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
How does WotR compare to Chivalry? I really like how fast paced Chiv is but all the contortionism is pretty off-putting

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Given HOI3 is on sale is there anything (Beyond Hitler tutorials and 30 minute OOB work) that it has that would make it worth checking out for someone who owns DH or who may buy HOI IV?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hold on to your asses, rear end holders.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You made a dude pee himself. If only he hadn't been holding his rear end :negative:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

New events is nice, but is any work being done on cleaning up event chains like Japan's where choosing the wrong option at a given step will kill the chain forever because there's no followup to that particular option? :ohdear:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BBJoey posted:

New events is nice, but is any work being done on cleaning up event chains like Japan's where choosing the wrong option at a given step will kill the chain forever because there's no followup to that particular option? :ohdear:

There's been a good deal of bug fixing, but I don't know if anything short of a HoI 4 port is going to unfuck Japan.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Given HOI3 is on sale is there anything (Beyond Hitler tutorials and 30 minute OOB work) that it has that would make it worth checking out for someone who owns DH or who may buy HOI IV?

No. It's only bearable if you get all the expansions, and at that point you are spending too much for what's a curiosity buy.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I could only ever stand playing hoi3 as the United States because there is so much less to micromanage when you have enough leadership to research everything and enough domestic resources to never worry about trade. However, I did have to worry about the retarded Britain AI losing Gibraltar, Malta, and Suez to the loving Italians.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SkySteak posted:

No. HOI3 is a bad game and even with all the expansions it's still not as good a game as Darkest Hour. If you get the urge to buy HOI3 on sale, donate an equivalent amount of money to charity instead and then play Darkest Hour again and you will have a better gaming experience and make the world a better place for the same price.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

vyelkin posted:

No. HOI3 is a bad game and even with all the expansions it's still not as good a game as Darkest Hour. If you get the urge to buy HOI3 on sale, donate an equivalent amount of money to charity instead and then play Darkest Hour again and you will have a better gaming experience and make the world a better place for the same price.
So I'm in a strange situation here. I played HOI3 pre-expansion before buying DH years later (and played EU3, Vic2, CK2, and EU4 between the two) so I was really seriously spoiled when it came to UI by the time I tried DH. This perhaps explains what follows: Somehow HOI3+expansions is more playable than DH, simply because I understand the UI. For the record, HOI3 UI came easy to me and yet I have no clue what is so much as a thing I can click in DH, even after reasonable effort. I might need a couple hours to set up my Soviet OOB in HOI3, but at least I know how to do that and all the other necessary bits.

Somehow this makes me feel like a dirty casual. gently caress you inherently superior DH gognards.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Epinephrine posted:

So I'm in a strange situation here. I played HOI3 pre-expansion before buying DH years later (and played EU3, Vic2, CK2, and EU4 between the two) so I was really seriously spoiled when it came to UI by the time I tried DH. This perhaps explains what follows: Somehow HOI3+expansions is more playable than DH, simply because I understand the UI. For the record, HOI3 UI came easy to me and yet I have no clue what is so much as a thing I can click in DH, even after reasonable effort. I might need a couple hours to set up my Soviet OOB in HOI3, but at least I know how to do that and all the other necessary bits.

Somehow this makes me feel like a dirty casual. gently caress you inherently superior DH gognards.

Darkest Hour is very much just a really polished Paradox phase one game, and all the other ones you mention are Paradox phase two games, including HOI3 and EU3, they just came early in the new phase and so are less polished. Darkest Hour is designed for people who played a lot of HOI2 and loved it and then tried HOI3 and hated it and wanted to go back to HOI2 but better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

vyelkin posted:

Darkest Hour is very much just a really polished Paradox phase one game, and all the other ones you mention are Paradox phase two games, including HOI3 and EU3, they just came early in the new phase and so are less polished. Darkest Hour is designed for people who played a lot of HOI2 and loved it and then tried HOI3 and hated it and wanted to go back to HOI2 but better.

This explains why I have been so confused about why people like DH/dont like HoI3....I never played HoI2 or DH. I love the poo poo out of HoI3. I mean, just look at this pocket: http://i.imgur.com/ICGXB.jpg and this submarine blockade: http://i.imgur.com/z59Vm.jpg . I enjoyed the poo poo out of setting all of those pockets and submarine raiding zones and blah blah so I never saw what the problem was. The problem is that I never tried HoI2 :v:.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Epinephrine posted:

You can be a much bigger grognard if you play HoI3 and spend hours doing micromanagement to set up a chain of command before you unpause the game than the average Darkest Hour player.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

This explains why I have been so confused about why people like DH/dont like HoI3....I never played HoI2 or DH. I love the poo poo out of HoI3. I mean, just look at this pocket: http://i.imgur.com/ICGXB.jpg and this submarine blockade: http://i.imgur.com/z59Vm.jpg . I enjoyed the poo poo out of setting all of those pockets and submarine raiding zones and blah blah so I never saw what the problem was. The problem is that I never tried HoI2 :v:.

Cool, I didn't know the submarine mapmode was actually useful.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

YF-23 posted:

You can be a much bigger grognard if you play HoI3 and spend hours doing micromanagement to set up a chain of command before you unpause the game than the average Darkest Hour player.

It definitely acted as a gateway drug into WitP for me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Paradox's newsletter posted:

“A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it too [sic].”
- Johan Andersson
;-* Never change, Paradox, never change

• Locked thread