Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

That's weird because I know your mom is easy because I've seen way too many prior people gently caress her.

Don't do improv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Most improv is bad and most of you are bad.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

you get to agree with the audience what the joke is
Very well put. A great Harold/longform is one where you think you know the joke, but they latch on to something totally novel. I really loved that old I4H where they basically take you in to a class, and Besser keeps stressing to them to find the deeper joke.

I've enjoyed reading the UCB Improv Manual, has really helped me appreciate the form, but it really is a straight up textbook. If you're a huge nerd, you'll enjoy it, but it can be quite dry.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011

ManoliIsFat posted:

I really loved that old I4H where they basically take you in to a class, and Besser keeps stressing to them to find the deeper joke.

which one?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/bonus-ask-the-ucb-2/

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Is it uninformed improv opinion time?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you've seen one bad ComedySportz show or a Second City touring company show you're basically an expert, right?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Thoogsby posted:

Is it uninformed improv opinion time?

It is always uninformed improv opinion time

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I coach a monoscene team and I gave them this link to regurgitate when they need to explain why good longform is so hard: http://youtu.be/Ow4ZUCBXsKA

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Good improv is like good SA posting. You see someone hilarious and you're like, "I can do that!" So you spend all this money ($10) to chase your dream in L.A./NYC (the internet) but then you end up saying an artform that takes talented people decades to master is super easy. Next thing you know, you're STILL working at Starbucks and wondering if acting in a lovely web series (FYAD) well into your late 30s is worth it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thoogsby posted:

I coach a monoscene team and I gave them this link to regurgitate when they need to explain why good longform is so hard: http://youtu.be/Ow4ZUCBXsKA

He goes into a lot more detail here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0lugPF15ks

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I've had him as a teacher and he is a mad genius. I talked to someone that was his roommate for a year in the 90's and she said they spent an entire year in-character whenever they were both home.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Man what kind of afreaking noob would get defensive about improv, the lowest of all comedic art forms.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

If you've seen one bad ComedySportz show or a Second City touring company show you're basically an expert, right?

College improv and Second City B-stage are some of the worst experiences of my life.

Thoogsby posted:

Thanks for this.
Lol I love Cipha's comedy career.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

I like the improv podcast

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I like it as well, but I have so much more appreciation for it now that I know that improv uses the mind.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno if there's a thread for it but since it's been mentioned a couple of times here IFC cancelled The Birthday Boys

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I dunno if there's a thread for it but since it's been mentioned a couple of times here IFC cancelled The Birthday Boys

drat it, that was a good show.

Now it's even more unlikely that they'll catch on enough for me to stop getting, "Oh, is it your birthday?" several times any time I wear their shirt.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Help Im Alive posted:

I was already mad about it in the other thread but I'd just like to expound on that here and say gently caress YOU IFC YOU CHEAP PIECES OF poo poo. Portlandia sucks now (from what I hear), BB is cancelled, CBB is losing Reggie. It's over for you, you no longer have cred. Pack it up and show Cops reruns.

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
here's the full Geegland/Faison show that was mentioned on their latest episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkitRyvdtJY

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Good improv is like good SA posting. You see someone hilarious and you're like, "I can do that!" So you spend all this money ($10) to chase your dream in L.A./NYC (the internet) but then you end up saying an artform that takes talented people decades to master is super easy. Next thing you know, you're STILL working at Starbucks and wondering if acting in a lovely web series (FYAD) well into your late 30s is worth it.

Oh no poo poo?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kidsam posted:

Looking forward to properly watching this, cheers. The host seems really funny and those bios were amazing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Poopy Palpy posted:

That's weird because I know your mom is easy because I've seen way too many prior people gently caress her.

Really zinged me there

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

kidsam posted:

Hahaha that was so great. There were a couple of jokes repeated from their CBB ep but a lot of new and really funny stuff. The audience interaction and physical bits were very fun! Good! It's good!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Help Im Alive posted:

Noooooooooooooo, goddamnit

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Hahaha that was so great. There were a couple of jokes repeated from their CBB ep but a lot of new and really funny stuff. The audience interaction and physical bits were very fun! Good! It's good!

I completely lost it when they told the first Q&A guy how much they liked Clerks, and his movies since Clerks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was so goddamned funny. I couldn't look at the screen when George gave the reason for his dismissal, I was laughing so hard.

Also quite honoured to have eaten at the diner where they came up with the concept for too much tuna. Pretty sure it was a goon suggestion too. I was sadly not prantked that day though.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

WoG posted:

drat it, that was a good show.

Now it's even more unlikely that they'll catch on enough for me to stop getting, "Oh, is it your birthday?" several times any time I wear their shirt.

probably the most lasting thing they will give me is the youtubes where whoosh sings happy birthday to people, which basically gets bemused confusion from my friends when i send it to them

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Lauren Lapkus loving rules.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I will always find Benjamin Button disease hilarious. Two stars.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Patton saying that the 1946 Beauty and the Beast was directed by Renoir, not Cocteau, made me turn off this episode and throw my laptop out the window, what a pity.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GraPar posted:

Patton saying that the 1946 Beauty and the Beast was directed by Renoir, not Cocteau, made me turn off this episode and throw my laptop out the window, what a pity.

I would have done this but I was biting my copy of moby dick so hard I had an aneurysm.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Lauren Lapkus killed it. Amazing episode.

I wish her podcast didn't have a premise that crippled its guests.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Her premise this week was "you have to take me to school" so you know, she's not that good at them.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The last thing I expected from this episode was Scott inventing the idea of teledildonics, which is one of the best words ever made

bartok
May 10, 2006

The idea of a late 90's The Day the Clown Cried remake starring Chevy Chase is something I never knew I wanted. I could even see a studio dumb enough to greenlight it especially after the critical acclaim that Robert Benigni's Life is Beautiful got.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I like how uncomfortable Scott got when Patton bust out "negger please."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Patton should stick to asking questions and stop trying to be funny imo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

That's right folks: it's good as hell opinion time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I honestly don't think I've turned harder on a comic than I've done on Patton after following him on twitter and listened to him try to be funny in the moment