Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

tuyop posted:

This is how Kindle works with notes and highlights in personal docs and Amazon books, so you could probably use that if you wanted to deal with PDFs only on your iPad, since the desktop clients for Kindle suck and don't let you read personal documents.

I've been wondering if the Adobe mobile apps like Reader sync better, but it's really not worth it for me to switch over right now.

I love the Kindle syncing, but at the same time it is not nearly good enough. Basically a few different highlighting colors and that's it. Definitely prefer the options PDFs and Goodreader allow for. I even converted one of my textbooks to PDF form just so I could use it in Goodreader. The syncing isn't as good, but I gladly sacrifice that for more variation in my annotating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
1Password, the one true password wallet just added the ability to store one-time passwords for any sites that support two-factor authentication. I can now get rid of Authy, which while functional never wowed me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

1Password, the one true password wallet just added the ability to store one-time passwords for any sites that support two-factor authentication. I can now get rid of Authy, which while functional never wowed me.

That's really cool, actually. But how do you get into your 1Password if it's your second factor?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

That's really cool, actually. But how do you get into your 1Password if it's your second factor?

You do the whole scan the QR code on whatever site you're trying to get a code for, the same as saving it into Google Authenticator or Authy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

You do the whole scan the QR code on whatever site you're trying to get a code for, the same as saving it into Google Authenticator or Authy.

I mean, like, your authorized device breaks and you have to log into your 1Password. 1Pass needs an authenticator code. Your authenticator codes are generated by 1Pass, which you need a code to log into, so now you're locked out by this recursive circle of security.

I mean, it's perfect, like PassHole, because not even you can get your passwords, but isn't that a problem at all? Do you just use your phone number to get a code from 1Pass?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

I mean, like, your authorized device breaks and you have to log into your 1Password. 1Pass needs an authenticator code. Your authenticator codes are generated by 1Pass, which you need a code to log into, so now you're locked out by this recursive circle of security.

I mean, it's perfect, like PassHole, because not even you can get your passwords, but isn't that a problem at all? Do you just use your phone number to get a code from 1Pass?

I don't understand. 1Pass uses a password to authenticate, but it doesn't have two-factor authentication. You simply store your two-factor auth in 1Pass, for all other sites that do use it.

Edit: wait, do you mean what if you have to log into DropBox to access 1Pass, but you can't because your auth token for DropBox is in 1Pass? In that case I hope you wrote down the code to access your DropBox account if you can't access your device that generates tokens.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 27, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

I don't understand. 1Pass uses a password to authenticate, but it doesn't have two-factor authentication. You simply store your two-factor auth in 1Pass, for all other sites that do use it.

Oh. Lastpass has 2FA. Seems like an important measure for a password manager, and 1Pass kind of shrugs it off because you'd have to get the data from Dropbox (or a synced device) and the 1Pass password. Not a thing to lose sleep over, but still kind of weird.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Oh. Lastpass has 2FA. Seems like an important measure for a password manager, and 1Pass kind of shrugs it off because you'd have to get the data from Dropbox (or a synced device) and the 1Pass password. Not a thing to lose sleep over, but still kind of weird.

Right. In theory with 1Pass your data are locked behind DropBox or iCloud, which themselves are protected using strong passwords and two-factor auth, before you can even get to your 1Pass data which is protected with another password.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does Untappd cover other non-beer drinks? I like a nice fruity Rekorderlig or a Bailey's and milk or whatever. I'd like to be able to keep track of places in my city that serve those sorts of things.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Theoretically 1Password doesn't necessarily lie behind a cloud service, which is why they can get away with it. As long as you have one device that can get the code generator's seed, you can use that device to log into Dropbox on subsequent devices. The only case in which you would be locked out entirely is if you suddenly lost all of your 1Password vaults simultaneously and your dropbox recovery codes. The vault does not need to be in sync for TOTP code generation to work.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does Untappd cover other non-beer drinks? I like a nice fruity Rekorderlig or a Bailey's and milk or whatever. I'd like to be able to keep track of places in my city that serve those sorts of things.
cider, yes

liquor, no

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Greetings fellow mixed drinker! Sadly it does not.

possible new app idea! PassdOut

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Is there any difference at all between selecting a backgrounded app from the multitasking screen or selecting it on the springboard page? Like does the app know that it's been selected one way or the other?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of alcohol, a family friend worked on an app now called 40find that shows drink specials available nearby. It works pretty well I guess but are there other apps along those lines I should take a look at when shopping for cheap drinks?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

An Enormous Boner posted:

Is there any difference at all between selecting a backgrounded app from the multitasking screen or selecting it on the springboard page? Like does the app know that it's been selected one way or the other?

No.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I might have missed it here, but Pushbullet was released today for iOS and the Mac.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

flosofl posted:

I might have missed it here, but Pushbullet was released today for iOS and the Mac.

It has been out for the iPhone for some time, but the new update for iOS adds iPad support.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bobfather posted:

It has been out for the iPhone for some time, but the new update for iOS adds iPad support.

It also adds Mac support, Facebook sign in, and Universal Copy/Paste.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lum_ posted:

Greetings fellow mixed drinker! Sadly it does not.

possible new app idea! PassdOut
Aw that's a shame. Thanks anyway!

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I have a 6+ and I cannot launch Tumblr in landscape mode without it freaking out. I've tried reinstalling the lovely thing but get the same issue. Is it just me?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bunk Rogers posted:

I have a 6+ and I cannot launch Tumblr in landscape mode without it freaking out. I've tried reinstalling the lovely thing but get the same issue. Is it just me?

It's a case of Apple trying to save you from yourself. I'm surprised it launches at all!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Kheldarn posted:

It also adds Mac support, Facebook sign in, and Universal Copy/Paste.

Yea I was going to say it seems pointless.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea I was going to say it seems pointless.

If you have a Mac it seems pretty redundant with handoff and stuff now, though clipboard support might be good?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Handoff always doesn't get you third party notifications on your desktop.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

Handoff always doesn't get you third party notifications on your desktop.

What third party stuff are you using pushbullet for?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not using it, but I thought that was one of the things it did that handoff doesn't.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Post-Acompli discussion: It's rebranded as Microsoft Outlook and available now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

Post-Acompli discussion: It's rebranded as Microsoft Outlook and available now.

FINALLY. Can't wait to give it a test spin.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
It's just Acompli rebranded as Outlook (still a great app), but they promise updates are coming.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

It's just Acompli rebranded as Outlook (still a great app), but they promise updates are coming.

Right, see the whole problem with Acompli was the 3rd party proxy stuff they were doing for mail and no one here knew them from a hole in the ground. And auditing yet another 3rd party mail solution was a low on the priority list.

However, now that MS has folded into their systems we don't need an audit as that was already done when we spun up Office 365. Even when MS bought them, they were still branded as Acompli and we could not use them per policy. Now that's its under the MS brand our usage falls under the SLAs, SOWs and contract we currently have with MS.

EDIT: Words are hard

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

flosofl posted:

Right, see the whole problem with Acompli was the 3rd party proxy stuff they were doing for mail and no one here knew them from a hole in the ground. And auditing yet another 3rd party mail solution was a low on the priority list.

However, now that MS has folded into their systems we don't need an audit as that was already done when we spun up Office 365. Even when MS bought them, they were still branded as Acompli and we could not use them per policy. Now that's its under the MS brand our usage falls under the SLAs, SOWs and contract we currently have with MS.

Last week when I tried Accompli it wouldn't work with my corporate email account even though its Microsoft Exchange. Are you saying I may be able to use it now that they've been brought under MS?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

nickutz posted:

Last week when I tried Accompli it wouldn't work with my corporate email account even though its Microsoft Exchange. Are you saying I may be able to use it now that they've been brought under MS?

No, I think he's saying that since it is an Official Microsoft Branded Product now you don't need a special approval to route your email through a third-party service anymore.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Accompli-the-old-app still going to exist/update?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Feenix posted:

I don't see it in the app store anymore.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

Nope.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

vikingstrike posted:

No, I think he's saying that since it is an Official Microsoft Branded Product now you don't need a special approval to route your email through a third-party service anymore.

Yes, this is what I meant.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Maneki Neko posted:

I don't see it in the app store anymore.

So, to be clear, if I want whatever the latest updates are, I will have to delete this and get the new one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

So, to be clear, if I want whatever the latest updates are, I will have to delete this and get the new one.

Yes. Your current version will sit on your phone (and computer if you sync) and never change, eventually falling behind the OS and becoming unusable. Unloved. Obsolete. Worthless.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe now that Microsoft is in firm control, the "MAJOR UPDATES :siren:" will be more than "new color scheme added to Calendar and also your mail updates correctly more often now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'd settle for working push notifications because that has never worked for me in Accompli. I already gave up anyways, I'm looking at going back to Mailbox or something.