Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

Did you do the trick where you try sign up again? Pop up= pass. Allows you to go to the credit card screen= fail. works. 100% accuracy.

They changed it earlier last year. You have to actually put in legitimate credit card info then submit. You get an actual charge or insufficient funds message = you failed. You get the old message saying "you have already scheduled blah blah blah" = you passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I'm applying for a new grad job with VCU Health Systems. It has an optional field to paste in a resume and another for cover letter. Should I go ahead and create one? Or just leave it be? I already entered my entire employment history, professional organizations, etc, on other pages.

Like I said, its marked optional, but sometimes "optional" doesn't mean optional.

OTOH, I dont have a resume or cover letter typed up.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Yes you need both. Applying for a job without a resume (especially in a professional field) requires a resume. A cover letter just shows that you are putting forth the effort of writing one because you are interested in that particular job.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Etrips posted:

They changed it earlier last year. You have to actually put in legitimate credit card info then submit. You get an actual charge or insufficient funds message = you failed. You get the old message saying "you have already scheduled blah blah blah" = you passed.

Yeah, exactly. I had to enter my cc info and hit submit (scary -- it really looked like it was going to charge me!) but then I got an error message saying I already scheduled. I've yet to hear confirmation of this trick from someone who failed, though. NCLEX has a pretty high pass rate (I don't know of any classmates who failed) and I wonder if Pearson's changes last year were meant to address this and if everyone now gets an error message for the first 48 hours after taking the test or something.

Anyway, I passed!!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

So I'm applying for a new grad job with VCU Health Systems. It has an optional field to paste in a resume and another for cover letter. Should I go ahead and create one? Or just leave it be? I already entered my entire employment history, professional organizations, etc, on other pages.

Like I said, its marked optional, but sometimes "optional" doesn't mean optional.

OTOH, I dont have a resume or cover letter typed up.

Dear awesome hospital I'm a young cutie looking to spice up your organization, call me maybe

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

Dear awesome hospital I'm a young cutie looking to spice up your organization, call me maybe

But I'm a fat bearded dude.

Maybe that's what they're into?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

Apply as both. See what they're into

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Annath posted:

Do you have an obviously male name? If so, just type it out in a large font. That's basically all you'll have to do for your resume and cover letter. If you have a more ambiguous name like "Sandy" than you might need to add a line that says "I'm a dude."

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Do you have an obviously male name? If so, just type it out in a large font. That's basically all you'll have to do for your resume and cover letter. If you have a more ambiguous name like "Sandy" than you might need to add a line that says "I'm a dude."

Name's Nathan boss

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just dab your dick on an ink pad and leave a mushroom stamp on the cover page. Let them know you're an alpha male.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is being a dude really such a benefit to being hired?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
We pick things up and put them down.

We also create less drama.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

You need at least one token dude on each shift to help with boosts, reach things on the top shelf in the equipment room, and to take a punch from the M1 holds.

But seriously, not saying it should be that way, but in my experience, all other things being equal, male nurses definitely have a bit of an advantage at hiring time. Maybe it's because we're still a novelty, maybe it's the patriarchy, I just don't know.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Maybe it's this sweet dick.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

I had a manager who was very vocal about her preference for hiring men because they don't go out on maternity leave for a year at a time.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Men are the graphite rods in the nuclear drama reactor that is a nursing unit

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
So the nursing order in my province just announced that the pass rate of the english licensing exam was of approximately 48% versus 79% on the French version. I pray that they hire a competent translator before I write mine next September, cause right now the English media is probably about to poo poo itself.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 20, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Men are the graphite rods in the nuclear drama reactor that is a nursing unit

Being the nursing manager of 30+ nurses and techs, 100% female almost led to a self inflicted GSW or MCI at my job..

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

otter space posted:

I had a manager who was very vocal about her preference for hiring men because they don't go out on maternity leave for a year at a time.

Wow that's almost illegal to admit, your manager was pretty smart!

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Atma McCuddles posted:

Wow that's almost illegal to admit, your manager was pretty smart!

It may be part of the reason she's no longer our manager.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 19, 2016

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So, just started my ASN/ADN program yesterday. It's at a private institution which isn't ideal but I'm really not complaining at all. It's an accelerated program and I have to do all the sciences :smithicide: (already did anatomy but 5 year limit, bleh) luckily I have all the gen ed poo poo knocked out. Only went there once thus far but I actually quite like it a lot more than I thought I would. Teachers are nice and surprisingly passionate.

I'm not worried about the skills and hands on poo poo. Lots of experience there. But I'm a terrible loving student with terrible study habits.

You got in so they think that you can make it. You have to study as much as it takes to pass. For some of us this is 3-5 hours per day some not. You really need to re align your study habits with your goals. I was a lovely terrible student before nursing school and now I am over a 3.0 because I put in the time. Make a study group and carve out times each day that are dedicated to no nonsense studying.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

otter space posted:

"I would only hire men if I could" is a statement my manager has told me multiple times.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Blargh, I'm stuck waiting for my instructors to get back to me about whether they are interested in giving me a clinical reference for my job application.

I need 5 professional references, 3 of which need to be supervisors or clinical instructors.

I'm sure I can get enough, I'm just eager to get on to the next step of the application/interview process, which can't proceed until I get the references...

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
That is a stupid amount of references.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

That is a stupid amount of references.

Really? I have no context for what is or isn't normal, this being my first non-retail, full time job application.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Annath posted:

Really? I have no context for what is or isn't normal, this being my first non-retail, full time job application.

Yeah, that is absurdly high. 5 references for your first real job this field?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, that is absurdly high. 5 references for your first real job this field?

Yeah, it's specifically a new grad program. You have to be within 90 days of graduation from an accredited RN Program, or have less than one year experience to even apply.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Most jobs maybe three references but one would probably do the trick.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This semester is going to be brutal. Third week and I already am stressing like it's finals week :barf:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

djfooboo posted:

This semester is going to be brutal. Third week and I already am stressing like it's finals week :barf:

For my program, which is a 2 year ADN, the worst semester is the 3rd by far. We had so much poo poo going on from day one, it was absurd.

This semester I looked at the calendar and was like "nothing but the occasional 1 day clinical until April, HOT drat!!"

Of course, in april I get to drive an hour and a half one way to my clinical site twice per week, 6:15am to 3:30pm

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
3rd semester was also the most brutal for my BSN program. 4th is apparently two classes crammed into 8 weeks, then 6 weeks of only practicum, so I think I can deal.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This is 4th Nursing (6th overall), It's Med Surg 2, Psych, and Research. My other semesters there has always been that one class with a lot of assignments, but this semester all 3 classes and their associated practicums have assloads of assignments and presentations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
See my program has like 2 years of pre-reqs so its kinda silly that its a 2 year degree :v:

But the program itself is divided into 4 "core" classes, (NUR 111,112,216, and 217) one per semester, with additional classes throughout (NUR 100, 226, 245, 254 and Pharmacology which for whatever reason isnt an NUR class)

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

See my program has like 2 years of pre-reqs so its kinda silly that its a 2 year degree :v:

But the program itself is divided into 4 "core" classes, (NUR 111,112,216, and 217) one per semester, with additional classes throughout (NUR 100, 226, 245, 254 and Pharmacology which for whatever reason isnt an NUR class)

How soon till you graduate? You find a mate yet? I work with my wife on the same unit and I highly recommend another nurse as a partner.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Roki B posted:

How soon till you graduate? You find a mate yet? I work with my wife on the same unit and I highly recommend another nurse as a partner.

Haha, I've got a Facebook style "it's complicated" relationship with a girl in my class.

We tried dating, but dating during nursing school is an exercise in frustration.

So now we're just friends who go out to lunch/dinner once in a while, and I make her lunch every clinical day.

So yeah. Actually that whole thing is kind of confusing.

E: I graduate in May

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Annath posted:

and I make her lunch every clinical day.

The gently caress? I need to trade in my girlfriend for you.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

djfooboo posted:

The gently caress? I need to trade in my girlfriend for you.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I am a drat good cook if I do say so myself.

I've done chicken parm, falafel, coq au vin, and a variety of epic sandwiches, usually with some sort of homemade sauce/dressing.

I made us roast turkey with stuffing and cranberry horseradish sauce for our clinical the day before Thanksgiving :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Annath posted:

My program is a four year associates too. Same set up, except pharmacology is taught within each clinical component as opposed to having a separate class.

I just started mine two weeks ago but I love it so far.