Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

duTrieux. posted:

oh and they recently locked up the remote for the projector in the conference room that is rarely used. now you hvae to schedule your appointment with an empty room that's right there so somebody can come over and unlock a cupboard to give you the $30 remote

meanwhile the bottom-floor urinals still only half-flush and my cubicle remains unfinished about 3 years after moving to the building.

at least i haven't seen a cockroach in a while

my old boss from the qa department used to have everything locked up and on a signout system, including all the cabling. so if you needed like, a 50 cent 1 foot rca cable, you had to track down the guy in charge of the cables, he'd take you over to the closet where they were all locked up, give you one, then you'd sign out that specific one (they all had individualized asset labels), and then at the end of each day you'd have to report back to that same guy and tell him the list of cables you were still planning to use and not return that day and sign your name down again for each of them. if you lost any of the cables or if they broke while you were using them, you were supposed to pay out of pocket for a replacement. if the cable guy was sick or on vacation or something, you couldn't get the cables you needed until he was back. i was testing a/v receivers at the time so i needed lots and lots of cables and the whole thing was a ridiculous pain in the rear end.

meanwhile the same boss only approved one of my coworkers to travel to and from a conference in another city on a 30 something hour train ride each way because it was literally $15 cheaper than taking a flight.

we still have lots of cockroaches, and some of our toilets leak gallons of water onto the bathroom floor every time you flush, and they've been doing that for years.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

uninterrupted posted:

and the hits keep coming. got this email earlier today.

hey james...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BONGHITZ posted:

hey james...
yes?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

hey james...

yes?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

duTrieux. posted:

oh and they recently locked up the remote for the projector in the conference room that is rarely used. now you hvae to schedule your appointment with an empty room that's right there so somebody can come over and unlock a cupboard to give you the $30 remote

meanwhile the bottom-floor urinals still only half-flush and my cubicle remains unfinished about 3 years after moving to the building.

at least i haven't seen a cockroach in a while

what's up, double-flushin-urinal buddy?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BONGHITZ posted:

hey james...

what?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necc0 posted:

we got those toilet protector paper thingies in the bathrooms at work and dudes use them

i cant imagine living like that lol

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Necc0 posted:

wouldnt half flushing a half gone pee only make a quarter pee?

its Zeno's Urinal

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

keyboard vomit posted:

its Zeno's Urinal

yes but you see the series converges so infinite flushes will do it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

meanwhile the same boss only approved one of my coworkers to travel to and from a conference in another city on a 30 something hour train ride each way because it was literally $15 cheaper than taking a flight.

lol

so I take it your boss doesn't draw a bonu-ahahahahahahahahahaahah

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hi

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

keyboard vomit posted:

its Zeno's Urinal

clear enough that i can't see is clear enough for me

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

fart simpson posted:

I hope that train travel time was on company time although I doubt it would be if your boss was that much of a penny pinching rear end in a top hat.

Anyway trains rule.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hey guys

guys

what if

I could

store ALL

of your

CREDIT CARDS

on

ONE CARD?

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/7916193/swyp-one-credit-card-to-rule-them-all

How many startups doing this does that make now?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey, there's your forums cancer.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i like the swyp.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

lol

i just go upstairs now, it works well for token exercise

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
it's happening! (maybe)

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/16/the-seed-bubble-has-popped/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

As a bootstrapper Internet entrepreneur in Silicon Valley I'm delighted. The price of resources should drop and the chance that a competitor for one of my projects will get funded has declined. This reduces time to market pressure and increases the time available for learning and thinking. We should see better products. Now, if it would translate into lower housing costs :-)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

welcome to your cyberpunk dystopia

businesses wouldn't have to monitor their employees' health so closely if, instead of sitting at a desk all day producing nothing, the employes would Do Labor

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Stymie posted:

businesses wouldn't have to monitor their employees' health so closely if, instead of sitting at a desk all day producing nothing, the employes would Do Labor

stymie was right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he's right, but mostly because if there were ever an actual need for those employees to perform labour they would already be dead due to the collapse of society and thus their heath would not concern their employer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Elder Postsman posted:

stymie was right

No, he's not.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

computer parts posted:

As a bootstrapper Internet entrepreneur in Silicon Valley I'm delighted. The price of resources should drop and the chance that a competitor for one of my projects will get funded has declined. This reduces time to market pressure and increases the time available for learning and thinking. We should see better products. Now, if it would translate into lower housing costs :-)

can any sv bros comment on what happened to housing prices during the last crash? did they just plateau for a few years or did they actually fall a bit?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there is a need for them to Do Labor now because the expansion of the non-productive "working" class is a tool of the bourgeoisie to erode the unity and strength of the proletariat and expand their influence beyond controlling the means of production to controlling the workers through co-option

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Necc0 posted:

can any sv bros comment on what happened to housing prices during the last crash? did they just plateau for a few years or did they actually fall a bit?

2008 - a bunch

2000 - not that much

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

No, he's not.

Hmm.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I think it'll pick back up once the EU realizes they need to turn their QE up to 11 :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

there is a need for them to Do Labor now because the expansion of the non-productive "working" class is a tool of the bourgeoisie to erode the unity and strength of the proletariat and expand their influence beyond controlling the means of production to controlling the workers through co-option

and yet there is no labour for them to do

so dig holes and fill them comrades! join your brothers in their fruitless efforts!

or smash the machines and doom yourselves to death in solidarity

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Stymie posted:

yeah, physical labor is so much better for people's bodies. *literally works self to death under the blazing sun because manager won't let people take water breaks*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah, physical labor is so much better for people's bodies. *literally works self to death under the blazing sun because manager won't let people take water breaks*

*is a 50 year old man who can't even bend over after destroying his joints scrubbing floors for 30 years*

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i too wish i worked in a field where employees collapse so often that ambulances are kept on call in the parking lot at all times

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

maybe if all humans were forced to swim for a period of no less than one hour every day we would all be a little bit healthier, if more polio ridden

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zikan posted:

I'm sorry employee #34601 but we can clearly see that you are not perform the optimal amount of exercise according to your mandatory corporate Fitbit and thus need to slash our contribution to your health insurance.

a lot of large employers "self-insure" i.e. they pay all healthcare expenses out of pocket, and then hope to recoup most of the costs out of premiums.

insurers don't really give any fucks about improving anyone's health, since they make money on the margin. if they don't recoup 110% of costs on year n, they'll bill 130% for year n+1. it literally does not matter what the costs are.

your self-insured employer actually pays more money when healthcare costs go up, and billing more doesn't transfer the burden very effectively. they actively want employees to be healthier to reduce costs

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

bbbl lmao

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

and yet there is no labour for them to do

so dig holes and fill them comrades! join your brothers in their fruitless efforts!

or smash the machines and doom yourselves to death in solidarity

paying people to dig holes and fill them up again is still paying people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's why it's in there

no one said they had to take pride or fulfillment from their work, they must merely Do Labour.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a lot of large employers "self-insure" i.e. they pay all healthcare expenses out of pocket, and then hope to recoup most of the costs out of premiums.

insurers don't really give any fucks about improving anyone's health, since they make money on the margin. if they don't recoup 110% of costs on year n, they'll bill 130% for year n+1. it literally does not matter what the costs are.

your self-insured employer actually pays more money when healthcare costs go up, and billing more doesn't transfer the burden very effectively. they actively want employees to be healthier to reduce costs

This is what I do and this man is correct. self-paid ("non-risk") is the wave of the future.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

that's why it's in there

no one said they had to take pride or fulfillment from their work, they must merely Do Labour.

you misspelled "labor"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

better for society than having them build sports stadiums

• Locked thread