Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Subyng posted:

Also, I'm getting these weird trains:

Anyone (Tai, since it's your pack) recognize the problem mod?

Actually that is part or vanilla SC, it is a rail checker.

I don't mind them but if you do: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/18844-no-track-checker-mod/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is it a common problem to get the same types of buildings over and over and over?

It would be nice to have a mix, maybe I broke something in Tai's pack. I'll get a street filled with identical commercial, residential, whatever buildings.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
^^^^
It's probably just a certain lot size & wealth range is underrepresented in game assets so it reuses the few it has. Probably throwing a park even just temporarily around the corner will have them redevelop a few of those lots?

benzine posted:

Exactly which file?

in Tai's datpack version it's BSC_001.dat that updates those trees.

Subyng posted:

You're not getting any of these monstrosities popping up?

Not getting those. Kinda looks like it's some kind of a streetside mod that's popping them on the side of the road there? Maybe see if moving 'JPN sidewalk mod Addon_000.dat' in or out of plugins changes anything. I think you might have to repave the street to see it in effect.

(Also those railcheckers are adorable.)

kinnas fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

triplexpac posted:

Is it a common problem to get the same types of buildings over and over and over?

It would be nice to have a mix, maybe I broke something in Tai's pack. I'll get a street filled with identical commercial, residential, whatever buildings.

Very common, to the point of being an infamous and inevitable part of the SimCity 4 experience. The basic reason is that buildings tend to come along at much the same time (Because we lay down lots of zones at once) and, due to how the game assesses which to create, even a very large pool of potential buildings can be radically narrowed down depending on the circumstances of the neighborhood. For example, potential buildings are influenced by factors like pollution, water, parks, fire coverage, general services, and more, so once you actually pare it down to "low density residential, medium pollution, no water, no fire coverage, good schools, underfunded healthcare, lots of parks nearby, noisy traffic" etc. etc. you can see how the list would shorten. I'm simplifying the situation a bit (there's a lot to do with growth stages I've not covered), but that's the core of it.

The easiest solution is just to demolish the fuckers, hopefully different things will spring up in their place. Failing that, demolish them and make some changes nearby, for example by slapping down a couple of parks across the road or improving public services in the area, or by making some changes to break up the lot sizes if, for instance, you're getting a lot of the same 2x2 buildings or something like that. The other solution is to wait and as your city develops, things should get pulled down over time and replaced by other buildings.

You could also try changing the building style or ticking Build All Styles At Once, which is in one of the central six menu buttons at the bottom (the one that looks like a protactor next to a ruler thingy I believe). Should allow a much wider spread of buildings the potential to show up.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Subyng posted:

You're not getting any of these monstrosities popping up?

Never seen that ever. Could be just a graphics glitch.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
Subyng might be you've got some ancient Jeronij props. This wouldn't get rid of them but you could try and stash this in your plugin folder, either see if you have an older version of same file or doing the z_ in front of the filename to make it load last and see if they turn into slightly prettier versions of themselves.

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1586

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I just downloaded the latest pack that Tai linked to so :shrug:

But thanks, I'll try that.

e: actually I already have something called "BSC MEGA Props JRJ Vol05.dat"

Tai posted:

Never seen that ever. Could be just a graphics glitch.

I am also running in software mode so maybe they are rendered slightly differently in hardware? Dunno.

Or if you're talking about the weird trains apparently they are normal.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 28, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013
e: nvm

It's the JRJ sidewalk mod that was the culprit.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 28, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have an example of what the different NAM 32 road textures look like?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sooo I'm not sure what I hosed with, but it seems that I somehow hosed with something so when I'm in god mode and go to plant trees everywhere, I get wicked brown boxes for a "coastal rainforest" tree. What the fuckkkkk

Edit: I accidentally saved over a new BSC.dat with an older one somehow. Anyways, I found an amazing Vancouver map to work on so pictures will be coming soon

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 28, 2015

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Iunnrais posted:

Note that in the most recent NAM, the default maximum trip time is 10 hours. So... you should probably be okay with leaving it be.

In contrast, without NAM, unmodded SC4 maximum trip time is 6 minutes, but because that seemed short even to the developers, they tinkered with the display graph for commute times, and multiplied it by 12... so it would DISPLAY commute times of about an hour and 15 minutes, but the actual engine was computing it as 6 minutes. NAM also fixes this display discrepancy.

If that's the case then why do some of my residential areas whine about a long commute time that's only a mile (and city-change) away? You would think that on a 10x10 large tiled region would be roughly about 20something miles in distance across, right? My sims shouldn't be complaining and I shouldn't be suffering crippling vacancies all over because of the long distances, at least realistically.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Imapanda posted:

If that's the case then why do some of my residential areas whine about a long commute time that's only a mile (and city-change) away? You would think that on a 10x10 large tiled region would be roughly about 20something miles in distance across, right? My sims shouldn't be complaining and I shouldn't be suffering crippling vacancies all over because of the long distances, at least realistically.

I suspect there is something terribly broken with SC4's traffic simulator that even the NAM crew don't know how to fix. It's the only explanation for why I still get "commute too long" abandonment even after setting the max commute time to a full 24 hours.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Didn't someone once post here that some of SimCity 4's code is pulled unchanged from all the way back in SimCity 2000? It's really remarkable how well 4 still holds up considering how "old" even the "newest" parts are on top of it being a mismatched patchwork. The fact that writing a fresh version that can actually communicate with itself should be a license to print money makes it all the more confusing how EA screwed up their version so badly. Give NAM credit where credit is due for some great work, but I think "fixing" SimCity 4 would require rewriting so much that you might as well make a new (non-EA) game; it would probably take less time and investment overall. On the other hand, when you look at the culture of dependencies that surround it, maybe crippling over-complexity is just kinda SimCity 4's thing.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
What's up with the prohibition on collections of mods/packs on places like Simtropolis, and the ridiculous dependence hell it causes? Is it a modder ego issue?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Poizen Jam posted:

What's up with the prohibition on collections of mods/packs on places like Simtropolis, and the ridiculous dependence hell it causes? Is it a modder ego issue?

Yes.
That and way back when sc4 was new still, internet speeds were slower. So there was this idea to not have super large files to download. ...but that's more of a relic. 99% of it is modders rights, copyrights, and other ego-centric things. What's really bizarre is that unlike minecraft there's no adfly monies being made. So there truly is no point to this madness other than man-children egos.

I specifically just search for things like "no dependencies" or "dependencies none" on there just to avoid all the headaches... And somehow something I got managed to eliminate all industrial demand. I don't want to play SC4 for a while. :smith:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The idea of "copyrighting" a free mod to a game that you don't have the rights to is the silliest thing.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Poizen Jam posted:

It's partly a relic of the very early days of SimCity 4 (e.g 2005 and earlier), when there was no cheap file hosting for files larger than 10MB or so. Modders had to split up their mods, and SC4's modding format encouraged separating out dependencies (as opposed to the "Download parts 1 through 7 of my mod" approach).

These days it's a toxic mix of cultural inertia and pure ego. Every modder is incredibly possessive of their lovely texture/prop packs, and doesn't want "credit" being stolen from them.

And that's why the CAM team refuses to support pre-packaged CAM collections :-(

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Is there an easy way of populating an custom region with trees?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Geshtal posted:

Didn't someone once post here that some of SimCity 4's code is pulled unchanged from all the way back in SimCity 2000? It's really remarkable how well 4 still holds up considering how "old" even the "newest" parts are on top of it being a mismatched patchwork. The fact that writing a fresh version that can actually communicate with itself should be a license to print money makes it all the more confusing how EA screwed up their version so badly.

Not that I want to revisit the flame wars over that game, but it was such a disaster because EA wasn't trying to make SimCity 5, they were trying to make The Sims: City. It will probably be a long time before they try again, but when they do it will be another catastrophe if they still refuse to acknowledge that SimCity players and The Sims players want very different things out of their experience.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Subyng posted:

Not that I know. I beleive there is a brush mode, bu still it is city by city.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yikes. Alright.

drat, I've been looking at the Industrial Revolution mod which looks really nice, but is incompatible with CAM :shepicide:

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29669-industrial-revolution-mod-cam-version/ have you taken a look at this?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
People could upload their regions as actual region files instead of greyscale maps etc. That way they could also provide all the trees etc with the file. But it would make the file size like 50x larger and we've heard what the SC4 community thinks about large files.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nition posted:

People could upload their regions as actual region files instead of greyscale maps etc. That way they could also provide all the trees etc with the file. But it would make the file size like 50x larger and we've heard what the SC4 community thinks about large files.

Yeah, it's another relic of the days when some people were still dialing up.

Somewhere along the line, a fondness for hypercomplexity became a point of cultural pride for the SC4 modding community. If you're not willing to take six unnecessary extra steps and download fourteen extra things, we don't want your kind here.

I've always played with only a little bit of custom content; last night I installed Tai's awesome megapack. And it makes the game look SO MUCH NICER... but... good GOD it's excruciating trying to navigate the menus with all this stuff. Like to plant on-street bus stops I have to slooowly scroll through about 100 or 150 items. I might actually go back to playing mostly vanilla because it's so painful.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 29, 2015

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Did anyone ever try to write a package manager? Atomizing mods into little packages with a network of shared dependencies is perfectly reasonable if you have the tools to keep track of it. I know the LEX has a dependency tracker system, but that doesn't help you actually find the dependencies AFAIK.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, it's another relic of the days when some people were still dialing up.

Somewhere along the line, a fondness for hypercomplexity became a point of cultural pride for the SC4 modding community. If you're not willing to take six unnecessary extra steps and download fourteen extra things, we don't want your kind here.

I've always played with only a little bit of custom content; last night I installed Tai's awesome megapack. And it makes the game look SO MUCH NICER... but... good GOD it's excruciating trying to navigate the menus with all this stuff. Like to plant on-street bus stops I have to slooowly scroll through about 100 or 150 items. I might actually go back to playing mostly vanilla because it's so painful.

There is a mod whose name I can't remember that uses some kind of voodoo to kludge in a better submenu system. I hear it's fairly popular though I haven't tried it myself because I just don't mind scrolling through personally - perhaps that could help you out though?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Yeah, I did, it didn't work, although apparently it's because it's not compatible with any other industrial buildings.

I downloaded the original IRM with the bare minimum of mods and it worked. The industrial areas look great! Now I have to go through Tai's modpack and find each and every custom industrial building and delete it...:suicide:

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

You have to do it before you start your city when your still in God mode, but you can change the size of the tree paintbrush so it covers a lot more screen area. Then just blanket the whole screen in trees, and move on to the next plot of land. That's what I do when starting a new map, and it doesn't look all that unrealistic. It takes A LOT less time than trying to painstakingly paint in true to life forests across a whole region anyway.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

Yeah, I did, it didn't work, although apparently it's because it's not compatible with any other industrial buildings.

I downloaded the original IRM with the bare minimum of mods and it worked. The industrial areas look great! Now I have to go through Tai's modpack and find each and every custom industrial building and delete it...:suicide:

Tried the CAM version...it doesn't work very well. The IRM lots that grow are all tiny buildings and sheds and tanks and stuff. Yeah. How essential is CAM anyway? The IRM sets are REALLY nice.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

There is a mod whose name I can't remember that uses some kind of voodoo to kludge in a better submenu system. I hear it's fairly popular though I haven't tried it myself because I just don't mind scrolling through personally - perhaps that could help you out though?

It's called drat. Really neat but the downside is that to organize it you have to sort everything yourself so gfl with that

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Tried the CAM version...it doesn't work very well. The IRM lots that grow are all tiny buildings and sheds and tanks and stuff. Yeah. How essential is CAM anyway? The IRM sets are REALLY nice.

Not very. It allows for more building progressions in your lots, and buildings can be more creative about how many spaces they use. Which is great, but doesn't help much if you don't download a bunch of CAM content to go with it. Also it can sometimes leads down that frustrating road where you end up babysitting a lot trying to grow some specific building instead of just playing the game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tusen Takk posted:

It's called drat. Really neat but the downside is that to organize it you have to sort everything yourself so gfl with that

Haha yeah nevermind then, dude's better off either learning to live with big menus or going back to vanilla.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Alright, thanks.

At this point I'm tempted just delve into dependency hell and just download mods manually.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Subyng posted:

Alright, thanks.

At this point I'm tempted just delve into dependency hell and just download mods manually.

It's not that hard, and if you want I can upload all of the CAMeLOTs that are in the MacPack for you so you can pick and choose everything else (I only say this because it takes god drat FOREVER to find a decent amount of CAMeLOTs)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

In an unrelated topic, can I add a bunch of different train automata and they all work (provided that they aren't just Re-skins)? I just discovered a shitload of neat train automata and EL automata but if it's going to gently caress everything up then I won't start downloading any of it

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Are there any good ones? The mass transit automata options are a bit overwhelming, so I've just stuck with Andreas Roth's BART bus/train/el-train/monorail set. (If nothing else, the set gives a consistent look to my city's transit.)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

Are there any good ones? The mass transit automata options are a bit overwhelming, so I've just stuck with Andreas Roth's BART bus/train/el-train/monorail set. (If nothing else, the set gives a consistent look to my city's transit.)

love the BART for the EL, but since I use BTM I was trying to figure out if I can use the 500în texture pack with the BTM that comes with NAM, otherwise these ones caught my eyes(warning: I prefer sleek euro trains)(phone posting with a bunch of tabs so I'll go back and edit this just in case SA reloads):

Korean modern train: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11680-ff-ktx-train-mod/
Jestarr: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1572
Spanish: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/13552-ave/
Tangara (Aussie): http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21025-nsw-state-rail-tangara-train/
Norwegian: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/17727-smp-nsb-train-mod/
Euro ICE: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/17723-smp-ice-train-modd-hsrp-rail/
This one is cool because it doesn't replace anything: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=970

And here's a few pretty exhaustive lists of pretty much everything else:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=14223.msg408891#msg408891
http://roe99.weebly.com/train-automata.html
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=14180.0

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 29, 2015

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Holy crap, thanks!

Edit: I should not be this excited to see an Amtrak automata.

Curvature of Earth fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 29, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Tusen Takk posted:

It's not that hard, and if you want I can upload all of the CAMeLOTs that are in the MacPack for you so you can pick and choose everything else (I only say this because it takes god drat FOREVER to find a decent amount of CAMeLOTs)

That would be great. Actually, after deleting CAM I searched in my plugins forlder for every instance of ID or i-d or IM or i-m or i-ht etc. and deleted them. Then I wasn't getting any industrial growing at all, and I found a maxis buildings blocker mod in the pack, deleted that. Then things did start growing in industry zones again but it's still not growing things right compared to just vanilla + IRM. Can't think of what else is conflicting. E: or rather something is still preventing maxis lots from growing

Subyng fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
If you find yourself annoyed by having to constantly re click buttons enabled by menu management lots (the ones where you put down a small park and wait a month for a ton of canal or seawall or whatever lots to appear on the menus) - Holding down the right mouse button while plopping a piece leaves the lot still active so you don't have to swing back and forth back to the menu all the time.

(You gotta relase the right mouse button between plops though, can't just hold it down and spam left click.)

• Locked thread