Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Normally I can use explosive weapons just fine without boiling veins, but I was very grateful to have it the first time I got a gatling bazooka and found out what happens if you hold the trigger a little too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

The grenade launcher is pretty safe as long as you aren't stupid, but you should definitely take boiling veins for anything that can explode when it hits a wall.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

HGH posted:

You failed to mention the best part, the massive screen shaking that clicking causes.

Actually, it's what happens when you hit your B key.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJpzxmZWrwY

I wish you could repeat seeds somehow because I really wanted to see if I could beat that level

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Smite posted:

Getting boiling veins on Y.V. opens up the door for you to grab a bazooka (or a nuke launcher, in your dreams) and treat it like it's a shotgun. No longer concerned about blowing yourself up, you can grab the crown of explosions and have a good time clearing the screen of enemies near and far.

Gatling bazooka-thronebutt-boiling veins Y.V. is what dreams are made of.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJpzxmZWrwY

I wish you could repeat seeds somehow because I really wanted to see if I could beat that level

You did that the stupid way and died because of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cryohazard posted:

You did that the stupid way and died because of it.

Yeah

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sometimes I get really annoyed going for the Oasis so I just tag everything except maggots with a single bullet because I'm spiteful.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So I started playing this game after watching Slowbeef's stream of it. I got insanely lucky and, in my first run, got to the secret level in 3_1 and unlocked what seems to be a permanent Golden Grenade Launcher for the Crystal dude. Cool. In my second run, I got really lucky again. I'm not...entirely sure what happened, but in the sewers I randomly got teleported to an area where I literally fought the ninja turtles and then in 3_1 I got sent to some place with a crown on it which boosted my grenade launcher's damage.

Things were looking really good. Then I got to 5_1--which I'd never seen before because it wasn't in the stream at all, far as I can remember--and died instantly because I didn't expect there to be ice when I fired my grenade. Fired it right into a wall and back into my face.

Digging the poo poo out of this game so far, but having some knowledge prior to going in seems to drastically increase your survivability. Or I'm just insanely lucky. Not sure which, honestly.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

BlackFrost posted:

So I started playing this game after watching Slowbeef's stream of it. I got insanely lucky and, in my first run, got to the secret level in 3_1 and unlocked what seems to be a permanent Golden Grenade Launcher for the Crystal dude. Cool. In my second run, I got really lucky again. I'm not...entirely sure what happened, but in the sewers I randomly got teleported to an area where I literally fought the ninja turtles and then in 3_1 I got sent to some place with a crown on it which boosted my grenade launcher's damage.

Things were looking really good. Then I got to 5_1--which I'd never seen before because it wasn't in the stream at all, far as I can remember--and died instantly because I didn't expect there to be ice when I fired my grenade. Fired it right into a wall and back into my face.

Digging the poo poo out of this game so far, but having some knowledge prior to going in seems to drastically increase your survivability. Or I'm just insanely lucky. Not sure which, honestly.

For that golden grenade launcher, I'm pretty sure you'll start with it everytime as long as you have it on on your character when you die.

As for the place with the crown, that's called a Crown Vault, which is activated by opening a gate (looks like a rhombus), feeding it enough radiation (the green glowstick things) and then breaking it, producing the portal.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Pretty good one as Crystal(I'm ranked #1 for the time being), auto crossbow with eagle eyes and bolt marrow carried me through the first two loops. Kept running secondaries dry and ditching them until I found an ultra shotgun, which is probably my favorite ultra weapon, it does 84 damage spread over 14 pellets for 2 shells and 12 radiation, and I didn't have strong back, so there wasn't much chance of running out of radiation.

e: I just noticed that the ultra mutation icon disappears when you die, very strange. In any case I had Fortress (along with the crown of death so 3 medkits could get me back to full from 1 health).

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 29, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Huh, the 'Kill everything before Big Dog wakes for a portal' glitch still works

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, they probably need to make it so that he just activates once you kill a certain number of enemies, in the same manner as Big bandit, or Rogue's IDPD. Big dog has just had a lot of issues over the history of the game.

Also it seems the leader-board site is all screwed up, something changed in the api apparently, maybe signs that an in-game leaderboard is gonna show up soon.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So. Uh. If you activate controller controls, .......... is it actually possible to turn it off and/or select anything on the main menu other than a character to start the game? Because I'd like to try out this "Daily Run" thing people are talking about. Or maybe look at the options, I dunno. Is there a button to do that I don't know about?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is no way to access the upper buttons if you're using a controller, that I know of anyway. Even though the mouse is no longer visible, it still works in menus. Controller functionality is a bit hosed at the moment, so what I do is hold down alt-tab, position the mouse over the option I want, and then click. Even though the cursor is not visible, it still clicks on the option.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Press G to switch between gamepad and mouse at any point in the game or the menu. That's how I do it.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Why can't I get a run like this on the daily :(

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you do the Daily Run and select a golden-weapon-having character, they lose the weapon since they start the Daily with their normal weapon(s).

My Golden Grenade Launcher on Steroids :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Press G to switch between gamepad and mouse at any point in the game or the menu. That's how I do it.

Oh neat I didn't know you could do that. Does the game... explain anywhere that you can do that?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

CJacobs posted:

Oh neat I didn't know you could do that. Does the game... explain anywhere that you can do that?

I don't think so. I only know it because it was mentioned in that slowbeef stream a while back. I think the dev himself pointed it out while also remarking that they need to fix that.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

So, it seems if you are below max health when you take Strong Spirit it doesn't activate until you are at full health. Just a word of caution, since it cost me my daily run when I got blown up by little hunter's death explosion.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I got a golden crossbow from YV's place on YV.

Three braaaps kills Big Dog.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno why, but the Pizza Sewers really make me want to go and watch Ducktales. Something about the instrumentation in particular.

Doctor Goat posted:

I got a golden crossbow from YV's place on YV.

Three braaaps kills Big Dog.

Wouldn't you say most non-Bullet based weapons would do this though?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xenogenesis posted:

Why can't I get a run like this on the daily :(

I know it was probably an explosion that killed you but something about that lone living rat chilling amidst the waist-high sea of bodies is so perfect.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Fuuuuck I finally beat the throne and then the screen shaking of its death explosion made it so I couldn't dodge its last bullets :smith:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I know it was probably an explosion that killed you but something about that lone living rat chilling amidst the waist-high sea of bodies is so perfect.

That rat is so loving :smug:

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Fuuuuck I finally beat the throne and then the screen shaking of its death explosion made it so I couldn't dodge its last bullets :smith:

I just beat it on the daily run and died during its explosion. I didn't actually get exploded or hit by a bullet though, it felt like I clipped its sprite somehow and it counted as being stepped on. I wasn't actually touching it before the explosion though, so I'm not sure.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I only play with screenshake because the game calls you out on it if you don't.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Eagles Eyes + Laser Brain + Racing Mind + Laser Minigun + Fish's Infinite Ammo Ultra Mutation was hilariously fun.

gently caress explo freaks who spawn next to you

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Exploding enemies and shielders kinda force you to take boiling veins and a laser/xbow weapon in loops. I hope the devs come up with a good alternative for a future update.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, the big issue with shielders is that pretty much any weapon that isn't a shotgun or bullet weapon will essentially one-shot you without strong spirit when it bounces off of a shielder, and it's pretty easy for that to happen with bullet weapons anyways due to rate of fire. Couple that with the fact that they can instantly summon the shield with no windup or warning and surprise surprise they are the most dangerous enemy in the game. Then they have big bandit's bullet spray just because (and 50 health).

I still think some damage types should have some i-frames after getting hit by them, like contact/melee damage, it's far too easy to get one-shot by snowbots charging you can getting hit twice for instance. Even a mutation that could help deal with it would work, but right now the closest thing we have is gamma guts which will only kill fish freaks before they can do a second instance of damage.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

New update coming, sneak peek:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
God, fire traps piss me off so much. The fire even hurts you even when its no longer visible which is complete bullshit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Hey, if anyone hasn't tried Double Wrench Steroids he is really strong

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

double screwdriver steroids = unlimited ammo jackhammer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shield cops are half the reason I hate rogue and will restart if random character picks her. I can deal with any character but rogue.

One little thing that's been bothering me lately is weapons not reliably going through portals with you, which is probably by design but I don't think it's very good design. The portal can open a weapon chest I was saving for a big one, then not even take the weapon through with me. Or other times when you get to the weapon chest at the last second before the portal appears but it takes you away before you can react. It makes you play this weird balancing game on some levels where you have to dodge around the last enemy for awhile if you want to see a weapon, or leave an enemy alive elsewhere so you don't trigger the portal. It's perpetually annoying for robot who's one of my favorite characters, and can still be tragic for everyone else when you see a bazooka vanish before your eyes.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I don't think it's by design, last devstream I watched had him yelling "STUPID BUGGY GAME" when a weapon he wanted to use didn't come through with him.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hey, if anyone hasn't tried Double Wrench Steroids he is really strong

I saw the light after I took Steroids to get a golden weapon and got a Wrench. "Cool, a perpetual bullet-blocker", I thought. Then a worm on 1-1 dropped a wrench, and inspiration struck.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
My friend streamed a double wrench run - http://www.twitch.tv/ratracing/c/5991858

Looped to 4-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I love this game, but I am also garbage at this game. I've been going for the oasis recently even though I'm hopelessly outmatched just because it feels more fun that way, but now that I'm hitting the later levels with only two or three mutations I have a question.

how on earth do you kill Lil' Hunter without boiling veins

Each time he shows up I either one-shot him with a weapon and survive because of boiling veins, or I one-shot him with a weapon and I instantly die because I didn't have boiling veins. I've never really figured out Lil' Hunter's patterns or behaviors because if I try to clear out the area too quickly I'm fairly likely to get killed by a charging robot.

• Locked thread