Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sash! posted:

I really don't like the FCS games for the simple reason that the overwhelming majority of them have zero chance of ever winning.
FCS games are bad football, but good for the FCS teams, since they get exposure and money. I'm also okay with FBS teams having a tune-up game against an FCS opponent, since there's no preseason football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

FSU + FAU + FCS is fine and nobody's gonna complain too much (though Florida should leave the loving state when the schedule is 8 games for an OOC thing once in a while). So yeah, it would depend. But the problem is with the 8-game schedule, not a hypothetical 9-game schedule. I can see SEC East teams, because of their out-of-conference rivalries, wanting an 8-game schedule. But on an 8-game schedule you would still want to schedule a good OOC game in addition so you can get to 10 games against P5 schools. Now, if you're just scheduling the dregs, nobody's going to give you much respect for it, but it's still probably better than scheduling the dregs of the Sun Belt.

I think some of the reason for it is also the home revenue they get from the permanent cupcake game, more so than ADs being scared to play UCONN instead of Citadel.

For example UF is probably gonna make a bunch of money playing Michigan at Jerry World so I am guessing that is why all of a sudden they are fine leaving the state to play an OOC game against a p5 opponent that year.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Raku posted:

Alabama 2014: 1 Big 12, two Conference USA, one FCS
2013: 1 ACC, 1 Sunbelt, 1 Mountain West, one FCS
2012: 1 Big 10, 2 Conference USA, one FCS
2011: 1 Big 10, 1 MAC, 1 Sun Belt, one FCS

It's definitely not as bad as Florida or the Mississippi's. And I like that they go through multiple conferences instead of just playing one ACC team every year. Also Saban is firmly in the more Power 5 games camp, which isn't something you're hearing from some of our neighboring states.

We definitely schedule FCS teams late because of the loving Iron Bowl though.

Aren't all or most of those neutral site games too? At least UF goes on the road every once in a while to play FSU.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT and Wisconsin were originally going to do a series in 2008/2009 which would have been good football, especially during the 2009 season. But Alvarez retired and Wisconsin pushed it back and VT replaced them with Nebraska and had a couple of amazing games. Fast-forward a few years and the new schedule of 2016/2017 again gets pushed back by Wisconsin to 2019/2020 and I'm pretty sure VT might move it next time because there's all kinds of major OOC teams being played in that year.

VT and Wisconsin should never actually play but they should always keep each other on the schedule.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Can't push it back to 2022/2023 (good gravy those games will happen when I'm in my 40s), that's when VT-PSU finally happens. if we still have football by then and not that sport from Starship Troopers

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

I really don't like the FCS games for the simple reason that the overwhelming majority of them have zero chance of ever winning.

:smith:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

(though Florida should leave the loving state when the schedule is 8 games for an OOC thing once in a while).

People get really upset about this but the state Florida has two other top-tier programs (FSU, The U) plus some decent middle-tier opponents (USF, UCF). It's not like Iowa refusing to play out of state or something. Schools in Texas and California also get a pass in my mind, and even Ohio to some extent.

In the last few years, Oregon has been to Virginia, Tennessee, Neutral Site LSU as decent OOC away games. tOSU has been to Miami and California. Texas has BYU, Ole Miss, and UCLA.

In that same stretch (2010-2014), Florida has played at FSU twice and at Miami. They don't need the national exposure if they can recruit at home and the OOC big games aren't any worse. They've also hosted some decent MAC teams and poo poo so it's not like it's all Georgia Southern.

I picked the two non-Florida, non-SEC teams from the playoffs this year and did this really fast so there are probably examples of successful teams who travel the globe and whip people. I mean, does it really matter if Florida does a home and home with Oklahoma instead of FSU?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

lamentable dustman posted:

Aren't all or most of those neutral site games too? At least UF goes on the road every once in a while to play FSU.

The "marquee" games are usually neutral sites since it's a single game, although Penn State was a home and home series. The others are home games because Alabama @ a 10,000 seat stadium is basically throwing away money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

and even Ohio to some extent.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the MAC has a deal (or maybe just a gentleman's agreement) with the Big Ten to do 3-4 games a year since it's easy travel for everyone, the MAC teams need the money, and it's usually a tune-up for the bigger teams. I know Jim Tressel scheduled Youngstown State like all the time too as a sort of favor to them since he was there before. A ton of other Ohio Schools play each other across conferences as well. Miami and Cincinnati have been playing one-another forever, Ohio State usually has a MAC team on the schedule almost every year (often Kent, BG, Toledo, or Ohio), a lot of other MAC teams go play Cincinnati as well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

note: does not apply to North Dakota State University

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Mizzou will be playing @ Arkansas State this coming season because they refused to play a game at Busch Stadium. They're also playing UCONN and Southeast Missouri State. What a lovely noncon schedule.

Apparently they're also only playing 11 games this season?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JRizzle posted:

Apparently they're also only playing 11 games this season?

Seeing 12 here

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I see one marked "TBA", which is probably the source of confusion.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh duhhhhh :saddowns:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/sec/2015-missouri-tigers-football-schedule.php according to this they put BYU in that slot.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Oh man, that's going to be a fun game.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It's funny that UCONN exists outside of basketball season.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The BYU series is a game at Arrowhead this year, and a game in Provo next year. I'm pretty excited to have an Arrowhead game again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

The BYU series is a game at Arrowhead this year, and a game in Provo next year. I'm pretty excited to have an Arrowhead game again.

drat that should be fun as hell

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Is Mizzou not playing a follow up game against Indiana?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Doesn't appear that way. Might have been a one-off that got scheduled at the last minute with all the conference changes. Their next B1G opponent is a home-and-away deal with Purdue in 2016 and 2017.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

DJExile posted:

Doesn't appear that way. Might have been a one-off that got scheduled at the last minute with all the conference changes. Their next B1G opponent is a home-and-away deal with Purdue in 2016 and 2017.

God if they were swept by the Indiana Big Ten teams they should be forced to give up football. I wonder if anyone's ever done it in the same season.

e. I checked and of course the last team to do it was Tim Brewster's Minnesota Golden Gophers in 2007.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacemonkey57 posted:

God if they were swept by the Indiana Big Ten teams they should be forced to give up football. I wonder if anyone's ever done it in the same season.

I'd imagine it's happened to Illinois and Northwestern.

E: ^^^^ lol even better

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

After losing at home this year they're justifiably terrified of what would happen if they had to venture to the Thunder Dome otherwise known as Memorial Stadium with dozens of riled up Hooisers smelling blood in the water

(last year was the second half of a home and home)

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

FCS games are bad football, but good for the FCS teams, since they get exposure and money. I'm also okay with FBS teams having a tune-up game against an FCS opponent, since there's no preseason football.

FCS games should be allowed but not countable as a win if you ask me. Only won 5 games + an FCS win? Tough poo poo.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

DJExile posted:

Nah. Northwestern actually has like a silly winning streak while playing in Indiana over the last couple years. We haven't lost to Indiana, Purdue, or Notre Dame in Indiana in at least the last 4 or 5 years.

(Again this does not include games in Evanston. It's a dumb but kind of fun stat)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

FCS games should be allowed but not countable as a win if you ask me. Only won 5 games + an FCS win? Tough poo poo.

Pretty sure that's the case for bowl eligibility. Or maybe it's if you play 2 FCS teams

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Only one FCS team counts towards bowl qualifications, which seems fair. Also, if you schedule too many of them you get into a strength of schedule argument with the other terrible barely eligible schools.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Until a few years ago you could only count one fcs win every like 4 years towards bowl eligibility. Now it is one per year. I think it changed right around the time they added the 12th regular season game.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The Sun Belt and Mountain West are asking the CFP to deny Army and Navy from access to CFP playoffs and bowls (and more or less drop them out of FBS) on the basis that the Army-Navy game takes place after the final CFP standings are released, and therefore the result of the game could mean new standings have to be released.

In other news, ISIS conquers two college conferences.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

DJExile posted:

God how did I forget about Illinois, they did it in 2012. Attention middling to bad big ten teams, do not hire people named Tim.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Korranus posted:

The Sun Belt and Mountain West are asking the CFP to deny Army and Navy from access to CFP playoffs and bowls (and more or less drop them out of FBS) on the basis that the Army-Navy game takes place after the final CFP standings are released, and therefore the result of the game could mean new standings have to be released.

They have to find some way to hurt the better AAC.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Korranus posted:

In what world does either school ever have an effect on the playoff picture? :psyduck:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Navy plays quality teams.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Navy plays quality teams.

well yeah but has it ever actually affected anything in terms of the BCS/Playoffs?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm sure it has in some small way or another and it has the ability to if Navy beats like Notre Dame or someone similar and then loses to Army and sinks their SOS by a bit

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Jesus Christ can you imagine the unstoppable juggernaut Navy would be in FCS

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

They already played them in Bloomington in 2013.

I somehow totally forgot about this game. I've even seen ads for it. It's just not listed on ESPN's Mizzou clubhouse page.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Raku posted:

Jesus Christ can you imagine the unstoppable juggernaut Navy would be in FCS

Yeah, it's called Georgia Southern when Paul Johnson was there.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It wouldn't be totally impossible for Navy to catch some AAC teams off guard and be in position for the contractual obligation G5 berth either, but then we don't see Notre Dame complaining about Navy.

Seems more like the Mountain West is trying to litigate potential compeition for Boise State out of existence, and I don't know what the hell the Sun Belt is asking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

This game was Paul Johnson vs Jim Tressel.

• Locked thread