Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Is the Tangent universe mentioned?

Yup. Also..

e: If it's not clear, there's a story along with the list of worlds, so don't skip on the issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The "Injustice" universe is rather conspicuous by it's absence.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

CitizenKrang posted:

Yellowjacket isn't the first comic artist we've met. Captain Carrot from issue 1 comes to mind.

Fun fact - Captain Carrot's civilian name is actually Roger (Rodney) Rabbit: http://www.faans.com/carrot2.html
It really puts it into perspective that he gets to put an alternate version of a Disney-owned character in his place, although it might be incidental.

quote:

There's probably a parallel here. Did reading "Major Max meets Janus" lead to Captain Atom leaving the universe?

I have my doubts, but considering the pseudo-crossovers, I hope that at some point we get to see Major Max interact with Thunderworld Captain Marvel, since she's the analogue to Marvel's current Captain Marvel.

Psychlone posted:

I wonder what the letters in SIVANA stand for. Cap said that Sivana should have the wisdom of Solomon, so does the S stand for Solomon? Or are they replaced with something else?

I doubt in this case the word stands for anything other than his name - during the battle as Black Sivana he pretty much associates his powers with physical forces.
Name have power in this setting, as Batson says the wizard's name, and traditionally Freddy uses the Captain Marvel name as a magic word.

The wizard's name combines initials of mythical or archetypal figures as a source of power - I figure people associating those figures with virtues is more important as a magical device than their actual existence and measurable abilities were they real people.
Sivana, given his ego, would see himself as the pinnacle of scientific intellect an use his name not unlike how people would generically refer to Einstein as a smart person - I doubt initials are important for his version of the empowering lightning, but I wouldn't be surprised if he thought of a few terms to match his name just in case, like Atomic for the "A"s.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like that the character is named Ultra Comics.

A nod to the whole "staring into the abyss that stares back" thing, with a hint of that curse that goes "may you live in interesting times and get the attention of powerful people"?...

Evil Mastermind posted:

The "Injustice" universe is rather conspicuous by it's absence.

Apparently Netherrealm has partial rights over that (so said /co/), but could be one of the question mark worlds.
Heh, MKvsDC treated Captain Marvel better, so I wouldn't miss it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of /co/, someone there posted this interesting "alignment grid" of the placement of the universes:

Earth 5 (Thunderworld) is the one in the uppermost Pinnacle/Order position, and as we've seen it's the world where there's no real shades of grey, the heroes are suitably heroic, and evil contains the seeds of its own destruction.

Earth 10 (Nazi Earth) is in the lowermost Chaos/Pit corner. We haven't seen that one yet, but given what we do know, it's a world that's fallen pretty far. The Chaos edge might be because the Freedom Fighters are trying to overthrow Uberman, who is in turn trying to fix the world anyway.

Earth 4 (Pax Americana) is Pit/Order, which lines up nicely: it's a world that's had order imposed on it at the cost of its heroes.

Earth 42 (Chibi-Earth) is Pinnacle/Chaos. It's been depicted as a world of innocence where the villains are more nuisances than anything else, sort of a small child's view of superheroes, so that's the Pinnacle part. Chaos might represent the secret revealed this issue?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Just Imagine Stan Lee universe was featured, which was surprising and awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought the map was telling us that the New Gods sat above the Orrery, but here the Kirby world had their own set?

e: The N52 New Gods zipping between Earth 2 and the main one supported the first notion, so I wonder what's up.
ee: Not that I'm against Kirby's NG's chilling in Kirby Land.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 28, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Man, if only they'd get a maxi-series, I would pay good money for that. It'd be Morrison in his element.

Nice update from their first appearance in Animal Man #23 Volume One..

And at least one prophecy gets disproven, with this issue's publishing...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I had nothing more productive to do this morning, so I put together a list of the universes' source materials. Maybe I'll go back later and add hyperlinks to Wikipedia. If people could fill in gaps I'd appreciate it.

Well, I had nothing more productive to do this morning, so I put together a list of the universes' source materials. Maybe I'll go back later and add hyperlinks to Wikipedia. If people could fill in gaps I'd appreciate it.

Earth-0: The "core" DCU, nu52 flavor.
Earth-1: The world of the "Earth One" graphic novel series.
Earth-2: The world of the Earth-2 ongoing series.
Earth-3: The home of the Crime Syndicate of America, where the concepts of "good" and "evil" are reversed. Was previously the "anti-matter universe".
Earth-4: The world of the Charleston heroes, as seen in the Pax Americana issue.
Earth-5: Thunderworld, the home of the Marvel Family, as seen in the issue of the same name.
Earth-6: The world of "Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe".
Earth-7: The DC version of the Ultimate Marvel universe. Little detail is known, because it was destroyed just before Multiversity #1.
Earth-8: The DC version of the Marvel universe, complete with character equivalents.
Earth-9: The "Tangent Comics" universe, where creators made new characters using existing DC character names.
Earth-10: The required Nazi Earth, as seen in Master Men #1. This is the home of Overman, last seen in Final Crisis and Superman Beyond.
Earth-11: The required gender-swap universe. Apparently conquered by the male Amazons (probably after the Amazons Attack event). Seen during The Search For The Atom.
Earth-12: The DC Animated Universe. Currently existing in the Batman Beyond/Justice League Beyond timeframe.
Earth-13: A world of dark magic, apparently influenced by darker 90's comics. Appeared briefly in Morrison's Doom Partol run.
Earth-14: Unknown world.
Earth-15: Destroyed by Superboy-Prime. The only remaining item is a green Power Battery called "The Cosmic Grail".
Earth-16: The world of The Just #1. Superheroes with nothing to do become self-centered celebrities.
Earth-17: Based on the Atomic Knights stories that appeared in the Golden Age "Strange Adventures" comic, altered to include versions of existing DC characters.
Earth-18: The world of the "Justice Riders" Elseworld one-shot.
Earth-19: The world of Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and Wonder Woman: Amazonia.
Earth-20: A world of pulp-era superheroes. Shown in Society of Super-heroes #1.
Earth-21: The home of The New Frontier series.
Earth-22: The world of Kingdom Come.
Earth-23: The world of "President Superman", as seen in issue #9 of Morrison's Action Comics run and briefly in Final Crisis.
Earth-24: Unknown world.
Earth-25: Unknown world.
Earth-26: The world of Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew, although the original comic didn't have the Looney Toons style "cartoon physics".
Earth-27: Unknown world.
Earth-28: Unknown world.
Earth-29: Bizzaro-Earth.
Earth-30: The reality of Superman: Red Son.
Earth-31: The pirate universe. I don't think this one's been seen before.
Earth-32: A slight adjustment of Batman: Darkest Knight, where the heroes are combinations of two existing characters.
Earth-33: Our reality. Home of Superboy-Prime and Ultra Comics.
Earth-34: The DC equivalent of Kurt Busiek's Astro City.
Earth-35: A different take on Moore's run on Supreme (which had similar ideas and themes to Multiversity).
Earth-36: A new Earth, briefly seen in Morrison's Action Comics #9. This world's version of Superman was killed by the rampaging Superdoomsday of Earth 45.
Earth-37: The combined world of Howard Chaykin's Thrillkiller and Twilight.
Earth-38: The world of John Byrne's Superman & Batman: Generations series, where the characters aged in "real time" as opposed to "comic book time".
Earth-39: A new version of T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.
Earth-40: The evil mirror of Earth-20, as seen in Society of Super-Heroes #1.
Earth-41: The DC version of the 90's Image Comics universe.
Earth-42: A new Earth, created for Multiversity?
Earth-43: The world of Batman: Red Rain, where vampire Batman has turned the world's heroes.
Earth-44: A new world. Doc Tornado looks like a version of Grant Morrison.
Earth-45: A world first seen in Action Comics #9. The Superman of this earth was a concept given form, but was corrupted by corporate interests, turning into Superdoomsday and attacking Earths 0, 23, 36, and 42.
Earth-46: Unknown world.
Earth-47: A 70's-inspired world, and home of Prez: The First Teenage President. The heroes appeared in Morrison's Animal Man run.
Earth-48: A new Earth, apparently influenced by events from Countdown with characters from Crisis on Infinite Earths and Morrison's JLA run.
Earth-49: Unknown world.
Earth-50: A world from the DCAU, seen in the Justice League episode "A Better World" and the current Justice League Beyond series.
Earth-51: The "Kirbyverse"; home of the New Gods, OMAC, and Kamandi.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 19, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Evil Mastermind, I think Earth 1 is the world that the Earth One OGNs exist in?

edit: Earth 32 is the world from Batman: Darkest Knight

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 28, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Evil Mastermind, I think Earth 1 is the world that the Earth One OGNs exist in?

edit: Earth 32 is the world from Batman: Darkest Knight

I updated the list. I don't know what an OGN is, though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Original Graphic Novel

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of /co/, someone there posted this interesting "alignment grid" of the placement of the universes:

Earth 42 (Chibi-Earth) is Pinnacle/Chaos. It's been depicted as a world of innocence where the villains are more nuisances than anything else, sort of a small child's view of superheroes, so that's the Pinnacle part. Chaos might represent the secret revealed this issue?

The chaos probably represents the slapstick of a cartoony world. Children are also chaotic

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

redbackground posted:

Original Graphic Novel
Thanks. I updated the list. You don't happen to have a link to the specific novels, do you? The term is too vague to Google.

Die Laughing posted:

The chaos probably represents the slapstick of a cartoony world. Children are also chaotic
I thought of that too; it's interesting that this world is more "chaotic" than the cartoon-physics world of Captain Carrot. Although as presented in the old comics CC's world wasn't cartoony in the Roger Rabbit-style we saw in Multiversity #1.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Superman-Earth-One/comics-series/8952?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Earth-One/comics-series/8662?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

https://www.comixology.com/Teen-Titans-Earth-One/comics-series/25085?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Morrison is also working on Wonder Woman: Earth One. I guess it isn't canceled since he specifically mentioned her in the guidebook.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks. I updated the list. You don't happen to have a link to the specific novels, do you? The term is too vague to Google.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_One_(DC_Comics_series)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

OOOOOOH I remember those now. I saw them at the bookstore but never read them; they completely slipped my mind. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

hey, you know what quote's not? edit.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

For the list above, I'm pretty sure Earth 36 previously appeared in the same issue of Action Comics that President Superman and Superdoom do, and that Earth 39 is a pastiche of the T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

vegetables posted:

For the list above, I'm pretty sure Earth 36 previously appeared in the same issue of Action Comics that President Superman and Superdoom do, and that Earth 39 is a pastiche of the T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents.

Thanks, I updated the list again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Don't forget that there's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DC_Multiverse_worlds

It includes nearly every alternate universe mentioned in DC comics, although yours is probably the most updated version.. Especially since pre-Crisis is not considered canon anymore.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh poo poo I completely missed that.

I do admit I'm a little surprised he didn't include the Amaglam universe as part of the 52. Unless it's one of the seven "secret pet projects" universes.

How awesome would it be if Access shows up to save the day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mapocho posted:

How awesome would it be if Access shows up to save the day.

I'm legitimately hoping he shows up. Him pointing out that this multiverse isn't the only multiverse would be a very Morrison thing to do.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Most Earths are bad and boring, unfortunately :(

Earth Prez and Thrillkiller Earth (#37) look like fun places to live on and read about though.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
I was surprised Earth-31 was Pirate World. I thought it'd end up being the DKR/Frank Miller-verse.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm so glad Darkseid is going to make an appearance. It always seems that no matter how bad things are, you know the poo poo really hit the fan when he shows up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Assuming they were well written, I'd definitely read more of the ones that have had their own Multiversity issue so far, as well as..
E13 with superhero Hellblazer (especially keeping the Jae Lee art), E17 The world of the weirdo spacesuit Batman we met and Lexhex and all that, E18 with the cowboy western League, E21 New Frontier world, E23 for more of President Superman's world, E26 Captain Carrot's world, E29 Bizarro world, E31 Swashbuckling League, E42 The Tiny League, E44 with the Metal Men JL, E47 Prez world and E51 Kirby World.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 28, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Superhero Hellblazer beats the poo poo out of the actual Justice League Dark, thats for sure.

I am mostly mad they did not get a good artist for the Kirbyworld section, Ryan Sook was the go-to guy for Kirby tributes few years ago, but I guess he is busy elsewhere.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Earth Prez and Thrillkiller Earth (#37) look like fun places to live on and read about though.

Is that Thrillkiller? That was the impression I got, but the look didn't match up.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is that Thrillkiller? That was the impression I got, but the look didn't match up.

Batgirl, Robin and Jokerlady are identical, the other guys and the accelerated technology backstory seem brand new and remind of the zanier 2000AD strips.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part was the Lil' Sivana-shaped bulge in Sssssssssivana's tummy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Batgirl, Robin and Jokerlady are identical, the other guys and the accelerated technology backstory seem brand new and remind of the zanier 2000AD strips.
I've never read Thrillkiller, I only know the cover. :ohdear:

redbackground posted:

My favorite part was the Lil' Sivana-shaped bulge in Sssssssssivana's tummy.
Joke's gonna be on him when he gets robo-indigestion!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fatherboxx posted:

I've heard the non-Thrillkiller stuff is from Twilight.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I've heard the non-Thrillkiller stuff is from Twilight.

Oh drat I have wanted to find and read that for ages, Garcia-Lopez is fantastic.
So Earth-37 is Earth-Chaykin, nice.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Red skies and Darkseid. Between that and the event recap page in the Guidebook, it's probably about time to read Final Crisis, huh? Plus that psychopathic Dr Silva salivating over doing something bad to Mary Marvel...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

tenniseveryone posted:

Red skies and Darkseid. Between that and the event recap page in the Guidebook, it's probably about time to read Final Crisis, huh? Plus that psychopathic Dr Silva salivating over doing something bad to Mary Marvel...

Oh definitely. There's so much stuff. It had President Superman, ships traversing Bleedspace, the Pax Americana Captain Atom, Nix Uotan.

e: If you're going digital, get the collection/trade version. Half of the carrying concepts are in the included Superman tie-in comic that you'd miss just getting the main issues.
Also, N52 Action Comics #9.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

tenniseveryone posted:

Multiversity is a direct sequel to Final Crisis. I have no idea why you wouldn't read that beforehand. The stuff about the birth of the Multiverse is pulled right from it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Multiversity is a direct sequel to Final Crisis. I have no idea why you wouldn't read that beforehand. The stuff about the birth of the Multiverse is pulled right from it.

Probably because nowhere in the book does it say this is a direct sequel to Final Crisis. I haven't read FC yet and I'm having no problems with this so far.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's no harm in picking Multiversity up without being a well read Morrison devotee, but if you've been enjoying it, you should get a huge kick out of Superman Beyond and Action Comics #9.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

Probably because nowhere in the book does it say this is a direct sequel to Final Crisis. I haven't read FC yet and I'm having no problems with this so far.

Well the main character from issue 1 was introduced in Final Crisis and we got all his back story there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
FORERUNNER is back, Earth 48 is officially the best.

• Locked thread