Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arquinsiel posted:

Same as the truck earlier, trying to not get shot up by a plane.
I believe the truck from before was from El Alamein, meaning the goal was to fool reconnaissance aircraft as part of a larger deception operation. While that German one might well be to just avoid getting poo poo on by a wandering P-47.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PittTheElder posted:

I believe the truck from before was from El Alamein, meaning the goal was to fool reconnaissance aircraft as part of a larger deception operation. While that German one might well be to just avoid getting poo poo on by a wandering P-47.
The line between cause "plane" and effect "shot up" may be long and involve several steps of communication and an artillery barrage, but at the end of the day you just don't want that plane to figure out who you are.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

So guess what:

According to Hans Wilhelm Kirchhof, Militaris Disciplina:

"The one should be taken from there / or where he is / shot or wounded / dead / his squad-companions should take four pikes / each two should have their iron heads turned opposite from each other / bound together one or three times / so / that two pikes make one pole / bind the two poles together / under, over, and in the middle / with cords so close to each other / that the dead man with his Waht [bedding? bandages?] and clothing / like he died / can be laid between them and carried out. Before them go pipes and drums / behind go other squad companions / people from the country / and whoever wants to be there. Outside the camp on the Lermanplatz [assemblyplace?] / or wherever you go / a grave is made / and lay the corpse in it / cover it up. It'd be good / to say an Our Father with uncovered head: several is better / and sing a Holy Psalm along with it. The more esteem he has in the regiment / or if he held an office / the more music is brought before his corpse."
Turns out Lermanplatz does mean "assembly place." (Lerman or Lermal means "alarm," both in the sense of "tumult" and in the sense of "someone is notifying you to do something right away.") It's where you form up before a battle, and I just learned that it's also where trials are held. So they prepare to fight and they do their important legal things on top of their dead. The dead may have been stripped and buried with anonymous indifference after a battle, but if you died in the course of daily life, it looks like you would have been treated with some care. Your place within the world of meaning to which you and your companions belong would not have been lost.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 29, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hegel, how do you feel about the development of national armies over mercenary bands? It sounds as if you prefer the drunken exploits of your landsknechts over the cold atrocities of a uniformed New Model Army. How do you feel about that development of armies into hierarchical, nation-focused, uniform-wearing groups?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

Hegel, how do you feel about the development of national armies over mercenary bands? It sounds as if you prefer the drunken exploits of your landsknechts over the cold atrocities of a uniformed New Model Army. How do you feel about that development of armies into hierarchical, nation-focused, uniform-wearing groups?
On the one hand, nationalism is a mental illness and coercing people is a problem, ethically. On the other hand, the dudes probably appreciated the chance to eat every day and get payed on time/at all. So from their point of view each system probably had good sides and bad sides.

Edit: I personally prefer this model, because it gives people the opportunity to govern their own lives, more or less, no matter what their backgrounds are. I am pretty sure that any common soldier can serve on a court committee, for instance, so you get tried by your peers. It's no accident that the New Model Army you denigrate (which was actually not like the stereotypes--and I say that as a person who grew up massively biased against Protestants, so if I can do it so can you) was full to the brim with leftists.

However--and this is a massive "however"--war gets a lot less hosed up in the century immediately after my own. Casualties in battle rise precipitously, but when battles are not occurring the soldiers of the 18th century are much less of a hazard to everyone around them. If I studied civilians during the Thirty Years' War I would have a very different opinion of these guys.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 29, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

The line between cause "plane" and effect "shot up" may be long and involve several steps of communication and an artillery barrage, but at the end of the day you just don't want that plane to figure out who you are.

Not by the time the Germans lost air superiority. After that, allied fighters would roam the skies at low altitude looking for targets of opportunity to engage freely; which would consist of trucks, trains, cattle, Rommel's staff car, tanks, allied troops, and whatever looked like it might create a wicked explosion. You don't want to look like any of these things when a P-47 is flying overhead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm honestly pretty surprised that war hasn't been reduced to a form of ritualised competition where victory/defeat terms are agreed to, and then the amount of time and money a given nation is willing to put into it's contest entry determines the winner. Like formula 1 but with killing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cythereal posted:

The funny part: Wilhelm and Tirpitz envisioned being Britain's ally, a partner and equal to rule the world with.

After bludgeoning them out of their naval supremacy, yes.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I'm honestly pretty surprised that war hasn't been reduced to a form of ritualised competition where victory/defeat terms are agreed to, and then the amount of time and money a given nation is willing to put into it's contest entry determines the winner. Like formula 1 but with killing.

The problem with this is, whats to stop a combatant from saying "Actually no, we will not comply with the terms. We will just keep fighting!"? Even when faced with nuclear annihilation a lot of governments will rather go down swinging rather than concede defeat under structured terms.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Whereas my guys will consistently refer to "weapons and muskets" in their contracts.

So you're saying the samurai accorded more honabru to the gun than their European contemporaries.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Animal posted:

The problem with this is, whats to stop a combatant from saying "Actually no, we will not comply with the terms. We will just keep fighting!"? Even when faced with nuclear annihilation a lot of governments will rather go down swinging rather than concede defeat under structured terms.

I was meaning in some sort of contained arena environment. You don't race cars on the road, you have a purpose built race track. Don't wage war in the countryside, have a purpose built war-reserve the size of wales.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

So you're saying the samurai accorded more honabru to the gun than their European contemporaries.
As far as I can tell, a gun's just a freaking tool. I guess unless you're having it made special by some metalworking weirdo, all inlaid and poo poo. Like, the dudes who made the revolversword were probably really into that. Maybe more than they should have been.

Edit: Also, that doesn't stop people from increasing the musketeer ratio and talking about how useful they are. Nobody's refusing to use muskets because they're less honorable. And where I've had a chance to look at different muster rolls for the same company a few months apart it became apparent that people switched back and forth between pike and musket a whole lot, but those rolls were from the 80s and I haven't found anything that detailed from earlier.

Slavvy posted:

I was meaning in some sort of contained arena environment. You don't race cars on the road, you have a purpose built race track. Don't wage war in the countryside, have a purpose built war-reserve the size of wales.
you just literally invented 18th century theory of combat by accident, goongrats

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 29, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Slavvy posted:

Have you been reading Battletech again?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

As far as I can tell, a gun's just a freaking tool. I guess unless you're having it made special by some metalworking weirdo, all inlaid and poo poo. Like, the dudes who made the revolversword were probably really into that. Maybe more than they should have been.

Cult of pike get's replaced by the cult of the bayonet eventually, seems to really skip over the musket. I guess you could argue for the American West getting some of that going, and eventually we get down to the whole 'this is my rifle' shtick.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

you just literally invented 18th century theory of combat by accident, goongrats

Seriously?

Eej posted:

Have you been reading Battletech again?

Isn't that a mechwarrior thingy?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slavvy posted:

Seriously?
They don't confine combat to Wales, but they do attempt to confine killing specifically to battle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slavvy posted:

What's to stop me bombing your staging area? Further, this kind of thing kind of assumes a rough parity in force strength. It's very unlikely you would ever get someone to agree to that when the USA, Russia, India or China could just fill it with bodies and "win".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slavvy posted:

Don't wage war in the countryside, have a purpose built war-reserve the size of wales.

And call it Wales-halla.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arquinsiel posted:

What's to stop me bombing your staging area? Further, this kind of thing kind of assumes a rough parity in force strength. It's very unlikely you would ever get someone to agree to that when the USA, Russia, India or China could just fill it with bodies and "win".

Exactly. Most leaders with a conception of chivalrous warfare got killed in either the American Civil War or the fields of WWI. The idea that war can be tamed ends when the enemy decides that they don't want to be beaten and start gassing your assembly areas and blowing up your cities. And that dilemma has continued to this very day, with NATO forces being disabused of their idea of a "humane war" in the form of IEDs and sectarian conflict, and jihadists being disabused of their idea of a "heroic war" in the form of Reaper drones and crippling economic sanctions.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

...so we're just inventing table top wargames.

You'd never get actual generals to agree on point costs of T-90 vs. Abrams, and sounds of "Javelin OP" would ring into the night.

Plus, it would lead to all sorts of shenanigans where small countries, likely limited max points by their military size, would try to win Hawaii or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Slavvy posted:

Isn't that a mechwarrior thingy?

Yes, the Clans are basically exiled soldiers who (d)evolved into a tribal social system where to minimize unnecessary personnel and materiel losses they have a high ritualized procedure where they declare where a duel/battle/war will happen and what they will bring, with both sides attempting to bargain down how many troops they will commit in an attempt to gain honour which is essentially a social currency. When they go invade the home systems which have regressed technologically due to constant warfare they get their asses kicked because they spent all their time practicing ritual warfare and get ground down by pesky things like ambushes, overwhelming odds and combined arms.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

JcDent posted:

You'd never get actual generals to agree on point costs of T-90 vs. Abrams, and sounds of "Javelin OP" would ring into the night.

Plus, it would lead to all sorts of shenanigans where small countries, likely limited max points by their military size, would try to win Hawaii or something.

Its already hard enough to get rid of incompetent generals, imagine how much worse would be if they could just blame the dice for all their losses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

No, that's part of the whole thing. Madagascar doesn't start a war with the US IRL because they have no chance of winning; nothing is different in that sense. War is quite literally just a gigantic machine for turning money time and people into a strategic result, so it makes no sense that it's so messy and unregulated. You don't try to establish cost parity, you just bring whatever you feel like bringing and the loser is whoever decides it isn't worth it first. Like an auction!

Eej posted:

Yes, the Clans are basically exiled soldiers who (d)evolved into a tribal social system where to minimize unnecessary personnel and materiel losses they have a high ritualized procedure where they declare where a duel/battle/war will happen and what they will bring, with both sides attempting to bargain down how many troops they will commit in an attempt to gain honour which is essentially a social currency. When they go invade the home systems which have regressed technologically due to constant warfare they get their asses kicked because they spent all their time practicing ritual warfare and get ground down by pesky things like ambushes, overwhelming odds and combined arms.

This sounds interesting but I'm certain that all literature on the matter is beyond terrible.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

We already have war regulations. They're called treaties. The more powerful countries can ignore them with out consequence (No cluster weapons? lol nope :911:)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slavvy posted:

No, that's part of the whole thing. Madagascar doesn't start a war with the US IRL because they have no chance of winning; nothing is different in that sense. War is quite literally just a gigantic machine for turning money time and people into a strategic result, so it makes no sense that it's so messy and unregulated. You don't try to establish cost parity, you just bring whatever you feel like bringing and the loser is whoever decides it isn't worth it first. Like an auction!
I'm sure if you put it like that then everyone in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Vietnam etc will just go home and stop fighting America.

JcDent posted:

When a dick in my local GW proposed using 40k to end all real war my response was a more blunt "what's to stop me just knifing you?". The problem with any formalised system of war is that eventually someone will be motivated either by necessity or by sheer ability to get away with it such that they just ignore the rules. Even the Clan system in Battletech had that with the Steel Viper "snake pit" manoeuvre whereby their units would circle an enemy formation at speed, which would cause them to "accidentally" miss a target and "coincidentally" the shot would hit another target in the rear armour. Entirely dishonourable, but you know, sometimes things happen in war...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Slavvy posted:

War is quite literally just a gigantic machine for turning money time and people into a strategic result, so it makes no sense that it's so messy and unregulated.

Is this a thing that actually concerns you? The fact that war is messy and unregulated?

The fact that it's "messy" is arguably part of its appeal - because it's so uncertain, if you're running out of options you can always throw the dice on war and hope that you get a better result than you would with your steadier options. And if you're doing badly at first you can always try to escalate one way or another in the hopes of pulling something out your sleeve at the last minute!

Also, look at the way you get football riots over bad results or referee calls, or the way people argue endlessly and bitterly over balance changes in online games. Now raise the stakes to include major strategic national resources, potentially devastating economic impacts, and actual people dying. You'd basically have wars starting over the results of a war.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tomn posted:

Also, look at the way you get football riots over bad results or referee calls, or the way people argue endlessly and bitterly over balance changes in online games. Now raise the stakes to include major strategic national resources, potentially devastating economic impacts, and actual people dying. You'd basically have wars starting over the results of a war.

One might argue that this has already happened. Bitterness over past wars have been a major influence in starting new ones, after all.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Funnily enough, the German version of Command & Conquer basically had this. They changed it so that wars in the future (or in alternate timelines) are fought by cyborgs, well away from major cities, in areas where no civilians are allowed. Highlights include a crumpling sound when a tank ran over infantry and "I'm losing oil!" as a standard response of infantry being fired on.

I guess the German rating agency feared that giving German children actual soldiers to play with activated the sleeping Nazi genes and would make us invade France again.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

ArchangeI posted:

Funnily enough, the German version of Command & Conquer basically had this. They changed it so that wars in the future (or in alternate timelines) are fought by cyborgs, well away from major cities, in areas where no civilians are allowed. Highlights include a crumpling sound when a tank ran over infantry and "I'm losing oil!" as a standard response of infantry being fired on.

I guess the German rating agency feared that giving German children actual soldiers to play with activated the sleeping Nazi genes and would make us invade France again.

I guess having running down actual people (instead of zombies) in Carmageddon would awaken dormant Teutonic knight routines.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Well, wouldn't it?

It wouldn't.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So uh, I bought one of those replica Waterloo 200 British soldier medals from the internet now. I kind of hoping I got in early and received one with a number of some poor sod that witnessed the battle.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Slavvy posted:

This sounds interesting but I'm certain that all literature on the matter is beyond terrible.

The whole premise behind the technology gap was stupid as gently caress too. It basically existed on the premise that when you build the plant that builds the plane you staple all the documentation on how to build the plant and the plane on the outside of that plant and oops if it gets blowed up we no longer know how to do that :smith:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

To be fair it's more about the plans to the machines inside the plants than anything else and considering how nuke-happy they got about blowing up those factories and the general breakdown of everything it's not *too* far-fetched. Of course it's also a plot tool to allow for the whole 'dark ages after a more enlightened time' setting it originally had.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

I guess having running down actual people (instead of zombies) in Carmageddon would awaken dormant Teutonic knight routines.

I think there was an anime about that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In real life, wars happen because people simply do not agree who would win. ISIS doesn't just sit and think 'oh gently caress, there is zero chance we can win vs the US'. They think they have some special sauce that is going to make the difference. Whether that's God, fancy new blitzkrieg tech, the element of surprise, allies who will come to their aid, some theory the other side doesn't have the stomach for casualties...
When both sides agree on the result, the war in general simply doesn't happen.

Edit: vvv or that, yeah.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 29, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fangz posted:

When both sides agree on the result, the war in general simply doesn't happen.

Or it happens really fast.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

French co-operation is secured for the Dardanelles expedition, and the Germans are launching a few limited attacks, some more successful than others. Meanwhile, the most interesting thing in the paper is a rather bombastic mineral water advert.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Slavvy's idea was practiced in southern parts of Africa before the 19th century. Warring clans would meet, throw spears at each other from a distance, and avoided all trying to kill each other in hand-to-hand combat. Sometimes each side would choose a representative to fight in single combat, and the losing side would accept defeat and retreat. Other times they'd fight with blunted weapons and accept that a defeat with those would mean being killed in a real conflict. Then King Shaka came along and when his enemies came to the battlefield for some ritualized shadowfighting, his warriors would encircle and kill them all.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

In real life, wars happen because people simply do not agree who would win.

When people ask questions like "why didn't the Confederates or Japanese or Iraqis just give up" it seriously ignores the issue of imperfect information. It is easy for us to see ex post facto that the odds were very long or whatever but they don't necessarily know that at the time. Also this is the reason behind maintaining a strong standing military (or at least the appearance of one) as a deterrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

When people ask questions like "why didn't the Confederates or Japanese or Iraqis just give up" it seriously ignores the issue of imperfect information. It is easy for us to see ex post facto that the odds were very long or whatever but they don't necessarily know that at the time. Also this is the reason behind maintaining a strong standing military (or at least the appearance of one) as a deterrent.

Also sometimes people beat even long odds (e.g. Frederick the Great in the Seven Years War; he was fighting Russia which was ruled by an anti-Prussian monarch, she died, her son was all about the bratwurst and changed sides). Hitler was actually hoping for a repeat at the end of World War 2 when Roosevelt died.

• Locked thread