Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'd post a translation, but... I don't actually speak Japanese. An unforgivable lapse for a goon, but something I trust will be soon corrected, should anyone actually require a proper translation.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EDIT VV Thanks, I didn't see it but then again I didn't look as hard as I should have :shobon: VV

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is there an energy thread? I'd be interested in seeing other people's viewpoints on this matter like yours alnilam without making GBS threads up the polititoons thread more than I already have. I guess I could take it to the climate change thread...

Yes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

"I thought the Medicare expansion was supposed to cover that possibility?"
"Our Republican governor refused the funds!"
"WHAT? THANKS, Obama! :mad:"

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
I used to work across the street from the City Closed For Historic Blizzard building, which of course was named after Henry City Closed For Historic Blizzard Jr.

It's a pretty neat landmark, though I hear that local schools had attendance issues.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

*over 10 years, and only if you only use the number of people who are covered this year (~27 million) and don't factor in how many it's expected to rise to (~40 million)

I wish I got paid to lie to people, that would be cool. I'd tell children Santa was real.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Oops! I forgot to tell a joke!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

What's this? What's this? Gary McCoy actually comes this close to insulting a Republican public official*!

And then he backs off with a stupid-rear end husband/wife joke. Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

*And Rauner to boot. Ohhhhh Gary, you've gone and insulted Eric Allie's bestest friend in the whole world.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Better call Henry, a McCoy is ripping him off

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Eschers Basement posted:

I used to work across the street from the City Closed For Historic Blizzard building, which of course was named after Henry City Closed For Historic Blizzard Jr.

It's a pretty neat landmark, though I hear that local schools had attendance issues.

It looks especially beautiful in the evening when the History Will Shine Brighter On This Administration As Time Goes On sun sets.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

colonel_korn posted:

Hey Liberals, if you hate the 99% so much, why do you side with the 95% of scientists who think global warming is a serious threat? Check and mate :smugdog:
I want to know why people think the government just gives bags of money to scientists all willy nilly if it doesn't involve military applications?
http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/01/fruitful-fossil-database-targeted-by-us-house-science-committee/

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

To give this one a little context: http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/2106982-155/in-major-move-mormon-leaders-call

quote:

"We call on local, state and the federal government," Oaks said in a news release, "to serve all of their people by passing legislation that protects vital religious freedoms for individuals, families, churches and other faith groups while also protecting the rights of our LGBT citizens in such areas as housing, employment and public accommodation in hotels, restaurants and transportation — protections which are not available in many parts of the country."

Mormon officials "believe laws ought to be framed to achieve a balance," Oaks said, "in protecting the freedoms of all people, while respecting those with differing values."

And the couple in the photo is based on the first same-sex couple in Utah to get a marriage license, who are friends with Bagley.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

alnilam posted:

"Peak" oil is very different from "the world's oil drying up," though. Plus, what peak oil is depends a lot on what metrics you use. At what price/barrel? Are we talking in terms of proved reserves? (in which case peak oil is probably soon or behind us us). In terms of technically recoverable? Maybe not. What about technically irrecoverable resources becoming recoverable with changing technology? A large part of the reason people said any day now about peak oil in past decades, was that technology for recovery at the time made "technically recoverable" a much higher bar. For the extraction tech they knew, peak oil may well have been in the 20th century.
I kinda think we're seeing peak oil happen right now, as a result of this price war. It's artificial, but once the prices start recovering I don't think the price of oil per barrel will ever be this low and amount of oil being produced and put on the market will ever be this high again in our lifetimes. If that's the definition you want to use.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of the price of light sweet crude closed at $44.45 today, the lowest price since 2009.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Krugman Komix

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wow, everyone is making these funny edits. Here's my creative and original take.

gently caress :negative:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rorus Raz posted:

Wow, everyone is making these funny edits. Here's my creative and original take.

gently caress :negative:

Semper Pantis! :patriot:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nenonen posted:

Semper Pantis! :patriot:

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Glancing at the thumbnail, I thought that was Ted Rall's signature.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Xander77 posted:

Just out of curiosity, is there a situation in which "states rights" are actually a good thing? I may be relying on biased sources that only invoke that phrase to defend some heinous poo poo.

Xander77 posted:

Link please?

Xander77 posted:

I'd post a translation, but... I don't actually speak Japanese. An unforgivable lapse for a goon, but something I trust will be soon corrected, should anyone actually require a proper translation.
Okay seriously, why the hell do you keep throwing random youtube links into the last bit of punctuation in all of your posts? You do the same thing over in the I/P thread; it's really odd. They're not even topical links, it's just random songs.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 28, 2015

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why is that dog so loving smug

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jay Rust posted:

It farted.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Obviously waiting for the dude to find what's awaiting him in his dress shoes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kajeesus posted:

Even Fox News saw right through Bibi's grandstanding. You can't actually believe what you're writing.

What was going on at the end of that video? They where suddenly talking about some woman, her book and dinner plans, before rapidly cutting off. Are all Fox interviews like that? Can someone explain this please?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Air is lava! posted:

What was going on at the end of that video? They where suddenly talking about some woman, her book and dinner plans, before rapidly cutting off. Are all fox interviews like that? Can someone explain thi please?

It's Shep Smith, he's an odd fellow. Talks a lot about True Blood. I think he does not give much of a poo poo anymore.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fade5 posted:

Okay seriously, why the hell do you keep throwing random youtube links into the last bit of punctuation in all of your posts? You do the same thing over in the I/P thread; it's really odd. They're not even topical links, it's just random songs.

Maybe he just want's people to have some music to listen to, fade5. Why you gots to be a jerk?

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

Maybe he just want's people to have some music to listen to, fade5. Why you gots to be a jerk?

Maybe he lost a bet.
Did you lose a bet, xander?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Conveniently for President Obama, Saudi authorities postponed Friday’s planned flogging of Raif Badawi, thus making the president’s Tuesday visit to Riyadh slightly less awkward. Had the Saudi free speech advocate been literally under the lash within just a few days of the presidential pit stop, Obama might have been forced to say something about it in public just as he was meeting the new ruler of the desert monarchy, King Salman.

Such are the complications of the uneasy alliance between the United States -- a country that claims to be the world’s preeminent defender of human rights -- and Saudi Arabia -- one of the worst places on the planet for anyone who wants to exercise those human rights.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

How many times has this metaphor been used now? I remember Allie using it at least once, and maybe Payne, Catalino, possibly Lester and maybe one of the McCoys? It's mind-bogglingly lazy, although I guess she's not at Gorrell levels yet.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

MacGowans Teeth posted:

How many times has this metaphor been used now? I remember Allie using it at least once, and maybe Payne, Catalino, possibly Lester and maybe one of the McCoys? It's mind-bogglingly lazy, although I guess she's not at Gorrell levels yet.

Ramirez loving loves cars and trains flying off sheer cliffs.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Pretty sure that someone did a "TURN LEFT OFF A MOUNTAIN HAHAHA" megapost a while ago. Want to say it was around the election in 2012, but we had so many repeated lazy bullshit tropes and references then, so I have no idea if that's right.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Car-driving-off-cliff cartoons hit critical mass sometime around the time when "the fiscal cliff" was a talking point and never really went away for good.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

...until morale improves.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rincewinds posted:

...until morale improves.

Nah, I think the floggings will continue even if it does.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

colonel_korn posted:

Any day now...

A bit back, but I have to give this one, stupid as it is, credit for portaying Iranian nuclear scientists as, well, scientists and not crazed ayatollahs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slate Action posted:

It's gonna be really weird when Hilary wins and we go like 20 years without the President getting credit for anything good that happens.

Nah it'll just be like with their memories of the Clinton administration during the Obama years, you'll get Republicans complaining about Hillary refusing to work with them and pointing to all the great compromises they were able to come to with Obama (including taking credit for the Affordable Cart Act) and bemoaning that she refuses to build a solid working relationship with them like he did.

They will say this believing it 100% genuinely in their hearts.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jay Rust posted:

He was the one who deflated the footballs, and those pansy NFL officials and sports journalists will never be the wiser. Plus he's ruined his dickhead owner's enjoyment of the bye week.

PassTheRemote posted:

It's Shep Smith, he's an odd fellow. Talks a lot about True Blood. I think he does not give much of a poo poo anymore.

I caught a bit of one of his shows on a campus TV during the ebola hysteria, and it was kind of surreal. He's there, looking straight into the camera, saying, "You do not need to be afraid of ebola. You have no chance of getting ebola. If somebody is telling you that you need to worry about ebola, they are lying to you. It's that simple. Up next, Neil Cavuto." *ad for diabetes medicine* "This is Neil Cavuto, and ebola is going to murder you in your loving BEDS!"

e: I assume that Shep gets to pull this stuff because he has photos of Ailes in bed with, uh, Shep Smith.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

• Locked thread